New boarding process makes status irrelevant

Hi All,

Just booked Freedom out of Miami for 9/6. I am seeing that check in has drastically changed. 

I am used to a 10:45 arrival at the port and generally being on board drink in hand before noon. 

Now it appears loyalty status does not matters and you are given a time which is enforced? Has anyone had any recent experience with this? What is the earliest time slot for the wellness checks? 

Trying to avoid the disappointment of following my normal routine just to be standing around for hours. 

Fully vaccinated if that matters..

7 minutes ago, AlanLW9 said:

Hi All,

Just booked Freedom out of Miami for 9/6. I am seeing that check in has drastically changed. 

I am used to a 10:45 arrival at the port and generally being on board drink in hand before noon. 

Now it appears loyalty status does not matters and you are given a time which is enforced? Has anyone had any recent experience with this? What is the earliest time slot for the wellness checks? 

Trying to avoid the disappointment of following my normal routine just to be standing around for hours. 

Fully vaccinated if that matters..

It does matter and welcome to the global pandemic...things change.  Strongly suggest you follow your time slot, just sleep in longer....😇

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The earliest check-in time I have been able to book for Freedom was 1 PM and that was doing checkin as soon as I learned it was open. True, no longer  are there Checkin lines by C&A status, the lines are by checkin time. This is for Freedom out of Miami, only port I have done so far post-Covid. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sandebeach said:

The earliest check-in time I have been able to book for Freedom was 1 PM and that was doing checkin as soon as I learned it was open. True, no longer  are there Checkin lines by C&A status, the lines are by checkin time. This is for Freedom out of Miami, only port I have done so far post-Covid. 

Thank you so much. This answers my questions. 

• Like 1

I have 1pm for Mariner and 1pm for Allure-  That is the earlies check in time I have heard of at least from Florida ports.  I have a feeling that the days of checking in at 11am may be over.  Hope I am wrong on that.  

8 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

1 PM and that was doing checkin as soon as I learned it was open.

Same here and I was one of those cruisers who were always at terminal by 9 or 10!  I am learning patience, at 71, a real virtue, from what the past 18 months have taught me.  You can teach an old dog new tricks, such as Chill, stay 6 Ft apart and Cruise on.  I don't care when we board as long as we do!

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I had read about those 1 pm  checkins for Freedom so when I checked in as soon as was possible for Serenade and got a 12 pm appointment I felt like I won the lottery.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

We had the Key purchased for a long time because we wanted the internet and it was a great price. We were to get expedited boarding but I’m sure that will not happen. I’m ok with that. It is what it is.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Same here and I was one of those cruisers who were always at terminal by 9 or 10!  I am learning patience, at 71, a real virtue, from what the past 18 months have taught me.  You can teach an old dog new tricks, such as Chill, stay 6 Ft apart and Cruise on.  I don't care when we board as long as we do!

That's the spirit!  🙂   We have shown up early for our last 2 MSC cruises before the COVID shutdown and got on early, but I think this time when we're on our first RC voyage (Allure on October 10) we'll behave and show up at 1:30 on the dot.

Well, maybe 1:15pm.......  😉 

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We had the Key purchased for a long time because we wanted the internet and it was a great price. We were to get expedited boarding but I’m sure that will not happen. I’m ok with that. It is what it is.

You canceled and got your money back, right>?

1 minute ago, karmamule said:

That's the spirit!

Used to cruise a lot out of Galveston, so we'd show up at 9:00, drop off the luggage with the porters who started at 9, then drive down to Starbucks across from the terminals and have a coupa or two and enjoy the morning, take the car down to the lot and go check in at 11:00.  We loved the heightened atmosphere and exuberance of cruiser watching...now in Arkansas so we fly to port now.

• Like 1

Everything has changed with travel.  We all need to be flexible.  I’m just wondering what people are doing as far as hotel check out.  If it’s 1100 where do you wait for 2 or 3 hours.  I don’t want to sit in a restaurant with my mask off or in a hotel lobby.  What are people doing?  I guess for this coming cruise we have our car and will just be sitting and waiting in the car until check in.  But if you don’t have a car?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Used to cruise a lot out of Galveston, so we'd show up at 9:00, drop off the luggage with the porters who started at 9, then drive down to Starbucks across from the terminals and have a coupa or two and enjoy the morning, take the car down to the lot and go check in at 11:00.  We loved the heightened atmosphere and exuberance of cruiser watching...now in Arkansas so we fly to port now.

You still may be able to drop bags early. 

I recommend that, then walking over to Grills next door and wait for your slot to open

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Everything has changed with travel.  We all need to be flexible.  I’m just wondering what people are doing as far as hotel check out.  If it’s 1100 where do you wait for 2 or 3 hours.  I don’t want to sit in a restaurant with my mask off or in a hotel lobby.  What are people doing?  I guess for this coming cruise we have our car and will just be sitting and waiting in the car until check in.  But if you don’t have a car?

As mentioned above, the proximity of dining/drinking establishments next door will be a big plus for Terminal 1 in PC

6 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Grab a pedicure and manicure at the port in a better salon?

Go shopping at the liquor store and use the time to debate between Moscato and/or Moet?

Run by Dunkin Donuts and figure out what to put in the box I carry on?

Alaska from Seattle:

Tour Pike Place Market and grab the RIGHT bouquet and a travel pack of Bender's cheese, Rachel's ale, and the sea salt chocolate that will wipe my souvenir budget clean.

🙂 Gimme another port and I will try to spend more of your money! 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Still might be worth the key.    I know there were 2 lines to line up for the 1pm slots on my recent Freedom sailing.  One for priorty and one regular.  They let the suites in 1st.  Maybe diamond and pinnacle as well but I did not pay attention.   No Key sold on any of these 1st sailings.  We had 1pm in the regular line.  They let you line up :15 minutes early?  We were through security, finished muster and in our rooms by 1:30.  Going straight to our cabin was a nice benefit of boarding later.  Personally we got a late checkout from our hotel.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You still may be able to drop bags early. 

I recommend that, then walking over to Grills next door and wait for your slot to open

I heard on my Freedom Facebook group that people were able to drop bags around 11?  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

And what about disembarkation? We're used to casually walking off the ship after breakfast around 9-9:30am. What times are people getting off ship on the last morning?

My understanding was 9am they clear the boat.  This was on Freedom and with only 1200 passengers they got through all the zones very fast.