The Daily for Friday August 06, 2021

richwmn

Hello Dailyite family. Just a super quick visit to share the wine info. I will check back in later. 

Prayers for the victims of yesterday’s plane crash, their families, the Niew Amsterdam community, the Alaska pilot community, and our cruising community.  We are all touched by this tragedy and are sharing this grief.

Domaines Dominique Piron Morgon La Chanaise 2015

All released vintages share the same excellent ratings, so let availability and price make your decision for you.  I found the 2019 vintage available online for as low as $14.84. You might need to wait a year to open it though. Better than missing the window of the 2015 vintage as the second review states. 😞

#56 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017
WE92 Wine Enthusiast: A blend from different parts of the Fleurie appellation, this wine is elegant and floral. Crisp red fruits are sustained by acidity and by a juicy character. As often with this appellation, it is a wine to age and will be better from 2018.
WS91 Wine Spectator: This ripe, light- to medium-bodied red sports layers of pure blackberry, cassis and damson plum, edged with licorice, floral and apricot details. Tangy, mouthwatering acidity highlights the mineral and spice details on the long, lightly grippy finish. Drink now through 2020.
  • Like 25

Thank you for today's daily and care reports Rich and Roy.

It is good to remember Hiroshima day.

Fresh breath is essential as is wiggling your toes on a long flight to prevent a blood clot.

It is 66°F but raining heavily so we have had lunch in our conservatory.

Today's quote is very true.

I will pass on the food and drink.

Welcome to @msmayor

As a relative newcomer everyone has been incredibly welcoming to me.

Our thoughts and prayers go to the passengers on the Ketchikan float plane,their family and friends and to all those affected on the Niew Amsterdam.

Take care and try to stay safe friends.

Graham.

16282527036497711654403176267795.jpg

• Like 29

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

I began today with a pause in memory of those on the float plane out of Ketchikan.   How sad for their families and for the rest of the passengers on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  

Welcome, @msmayor!

It is going to be a warm one here in Ohio.   I have to drive to Columbus for a meeting with the new director of the nurses association.  I was hoping to get her set up with my people in Columbus, but she was willing to get in the car and drive up here to meet with me.  So, since everyone else is in Columbus, I get to do the driving.  

The first thing I do when I come in the house is to kick off my shoes so my toes can wiggle away.  Fresh breath is a must!  As Roy said, Hiroshima is a sad remembrance.

Today's meal sounds good. I'll have to give this a try.  I do like Cajun/Creole cooking.  

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/38107/barlows-blackened-catfish/

916040550_Barlows3.jpg.f8908bc6829cdee803c3a86342e457c7.jpg

107327643_Barlows2.jpg.779748aa9bb437891a2fea2fa7d4d214.jpg

Friday is normally a fish day for me.  any time I have had cat fish I have liked it.

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Prayers for the family and friends of the plane crash in Alaska.  Happy to take a fresh breath everyday.  And living in Florida I wiggle my toes all the time since I rarely wear shoes.  Love the Sandburg quote, hence our "love" for Miss Camilla.  Will pass on the meal, and have not been to Australia.  The long flight keeps us away.

Hugs, prayers, and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Boilermaker:

The Boilermaker is a very classic old cocktail. It’s basically a shot of liquor served with a glass of beer. It really is just that simple.
You can either drop the shot into the beer and chug it, or you can drink the shot quickly and then sip the beer slowly. Either way, it’s hardly one of those society drinks that’s out to impress somebody.
Ingredients
1 ounce whiskey (usually bourbon or rye)
8 ounces beer
Steps
Pour the whiskey into a shot glass.
Fill a pint glass halfway with beer.
Drop the shot glass into the beer.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 8.03.14 AM.png

I would be very reluctant to try this. I once worked with someone who had one with lunch. When he came back to work he would slur his words.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We visited Hiroshima on our last trip to Japan with DS's in-laws.  The grandmother is a survivor of the blast - she was far enough away that she didn't sustain mortal injuries, and remains healthy today at age 95.  Hopefully everyone has fresh breath - nothing like being stuck on a crowded bus/train/plane with someone who doesn't!  Love to wiggle my toes, especially on the sand at Half Moon Cay.

Devastating news about the plane crash in Ketchikan; my heart goes out to all involved.  I can't imagine the atmosphere on the ship as they return to Seattle.  Just tragic.

Today is a busy day around the house, getting it ready for our family's visit.  It's been almost a full year since we've had a chance to hug our two little grandsons, and I've been so excited that I barely slept last night.  Groceries are bought and put away, the killer coffee table is safely stowed away, and all that's left are the minor details.  Yesterday we went out and bought the cutest little lawn chairs for the boys, but on getting them home, I'm wondering if they'll be too small for the 6 year old.  If it is, I guess the 1.5 yr old will have his choice of colour!

I've never had a boilermaker, and have only ever seen people drink them in the movies.   I guess drinking each of the ingredients at separate times just doesn't qualify.  LOL

Welcome to the Daily @msmayor- this is likely the friendliest, most supportive group of people on the boards, and a wealth of information as well!

I heard from my friend last night (the one who had the mastectomy); instead of doing a double, the surgeon only removed one, so my friend says she's now left with a unicorn boob.  It was good to see she still had her sense of humor.  She came through the surgery with flying colours, but now has to begin the healing process.  Thank you for all of your prayers, they meant a lot to me, and to her.

I've had catfish and for me it was just meh, so I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but I do love Roy's alternative, as I enjoy any dish with lamb in it.  Tonight is Friday, which at our house is usually pizza night, but with the fam on the way, it will be porcupine balls, grilled potatoes, salad and brownies that will see their way to our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, especially those who knew and loved the victims of the plane crash.  Raising the glasses tonight to celebrate our family, and all those on the cheers list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.It's been several weeks since I last put on shoes so I can do a lot of toe wiggling. Hiroshima was a terrible ending to a terrible war. Remembering the day should remind us of the insanity of war.

I would prefer Roy's dinner suggestion today. I will pass on the boilermaker - tried that once a looong time ago.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21

22 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning, We are on the way. First leg to Atlanta and now in Delta Sky Lounge awaiting flight to Seattle.

No matter the restrictions we’re going cruising.

It’s a great TGIF!

Thanks for the Daily

Safe travels and have a great cruise Bon voyage 🛳 

• Like 15

33 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning, We are on the way. First leg to Atlanta and now in Delta Sky Lounge awaiting flight to Seattle.

It’s a great TGIF!

Thanks for the Daily

Wishing you a safe flight and fantastic cruise.

Graham.

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

It’s a great TGIF!

Thanks for the Daily

I'm excited for you - thanks for keeping us updated!!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14

Morning all.  I can't say good morning because of the sad news from yesterday's float plane crash.  Prayers for the souls of the departed, their families and the Nieuw Amsterdam passengers and crew who must be feeling the pain of this tragic loss.  

Thank you @richwmnfor your work putting the Daily together for us.  Also to @rafinmdfor managing the daily lists of those who need our prayers and those who deserve our cheers.  

Today's port of Albany, Australia was a nice place to visit.  We got off the Sun Princess in October, 2017 during our circumnavigation of Australia cruise and walked around the city.  It has a small town atmosphere.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJf7DiHEpddb58WesLIugII?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Along the waterfront00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJ_FtkTblj9tjPhWauVYGI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Heading to the downtown streets00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9cT0noKc3tVAPMqJ1xqKj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

St. John the Evangelist church00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQIPnK5Hnki437l_I3cV77?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The shopping district00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKBD5R1IIK8gkd4GE-X5L-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrWVtX94g-RT9knWEqtBgC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNKUpM7Ps7kdhPYgs8cd8A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

I'm being hindered this morning by my inability to rotate some of my best photos to show you.  Sorry I can't give you the best shots.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2j5850tQ2aUXdj_boKupP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

There were some vendors who had set up shop in this grassy lot so spent some time looking around there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKkhcGMUWzsTCjqWJ9dkzuQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Woodworkers, knitters, and the like.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsjSEpB7SD2oVVz10SqptS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

There was a bus stop nearby where we could ride back to the ship, and as we walked there we saw this sign.  Watch out for the magpies!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLHB5WhyRruliwxcHcp9c0T?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

If I can fix the rotation problem I will add some more later.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@ger_77,I would love to have your porcupine  ball recipe if possible.We need new ideas in this house as our almost teenage guest is a little picky. 

I'm happy to share this old family recipe with you - it's super easy, and can be adjusted as a dish for two, or for a crowd.

1 lb ground beef                                                                            1 med onion, finely chopped

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup uncooked Minute Rice                                                      1 can tomato soup

Mix together the beef, onion salt and rice.  Shape into balls and brown in a little oil or a nonstick pan, draining off fat.  When browned, remove to a casserole dish.  Add 1/4 cup warm water to frying pan, scraping up the browned bits.  Add the tomato soup to the pan, stirring well and pour mixture over the meatballs in the casserole.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, covered.  Remove cover, stir and bake another 15 to 20 minutes.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

A tragic day for those lost yesterday. Prayers to all who have been affected, including our HAL and Daily family.

Thank you Rich for your faithful Daily. Can't wait to see the ships moving "with passengers" onboard. Thanks to Roy and F & B ladies, and Jacqui our meme and Garden Club poster.

I like catfish and have cooked Debbie's recipe many times. My sweet husband is a Georgia boy and would prefer it fried with hush puppies.. I also love lamb and Roy's lamb would win out for sure.

Will remember Hiroshima.

I tend to be a toe wiggler. Something is always moving.

image.png.83c26830e36c4b7f4d4b398d45632686.png

I had a manager with dragon breath. The second he walked in my office I'd have my box of Altoids out.

image.png.ba29b24a02450b67f0d46bd3cc3f8724.png

Today we are headed to Austin to look at shower fixtures. We decided to pull out our garden tub and shower and have a roll in shower installed. I did not know the details of all the work going into that project. Luckily we have a 2nd bedroom and bath to live in for the 3 week remodel.

Blessings,  Prayers and Cheers 

• Like 21

Greetings, all. In the wake of yesterday’s tragedy, I’m sure we all appreciate reaching out to our Dailyite family. My prayers are with the families of those who were lost, and with the other passengers of the NA who had to sail away without them.

The quote is so appropriate right now, as is the picture of Miss Camilla. Thank you, @smitty34877.

It’s a very well rounded collection of days, something somber, something health related, and something fun. The meal sounds good!

DH is heading back to the mainland this morning for a few days. I’m staying on the island with DD, and hope to get a little more botanical printing done. There’s also one more bag of apricots left to process. They were the green ones, and have been ripening in a paper bag in a dark cupboard. They’ve ripened fast, and are chanting ‘use me NOW’. It’s never wise to ignore that!

TGIF. My heart goes out to those on the NA staring down at these right now. I’m sure this will be a long day for them, and may our BHB hold them in all the comfort she can.

DCFDC031-6B2D-46AD-83E3-B38D66242196.thumb.jpeg.0b1d790f8bd35edfa6ff7f6770b2bf1f.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

16282527036497711654403176267795.jpg

What a lovely room. A sunroom? I bet it’s the one that was in your exterior pictures a few days ago. Looks so cozy.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

It’s a great TGIF!

Thanks for the Daily

Safe travels to you both, and congratulations on the Neptune😉.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Greetings everyone,

I know we're all grieving for the tragic loss yesterday, prayers for the 6 souls onboard the plane, families left behind, and the crew and passengers returning to Seattle on the NA. A sad day indeed. 😞  

I woke up to rain this morning -- finally it has come!  Even some fog.  I opened the back door and just breathed in that cool, moist air.  We'll have a few days with lower temps too (about 10 degrees lower) before it heats up again next week.  

Welcome @msmayor! You will find this is a friendly and welcoming group.

@ger_77good news about your friend, and she does indeed have a good sense of humor 🙂  

• Like 23

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thanks! Sailed on an "Iceland Natural Beauty" cruise and roadtrip around Iceland. But now looking forward to our booked cruises on HAL!

Jack

Hi! When’s were you in Iceland? I was there July 8-18. We may have passed each other!

Ann

• Like 9

Good morning everyone and Happy Friday. Today is the first Friday my DH has off, he’s decided to work 4 days a week which is officially part time with his company. Right now he is wiggling his toes outside by the pool reading a book, his favorite pastime. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich. Great collection of days today and great quote. I immediately thought of Miss Camilla when I read the quote. I love catfish but prefer it fried. I’ll check out your recipe @dfishThank you @ger_77for the porcupine meatball recipe, my DM used to make one similar. 

I woke up thinking about the lives lost yesterday in Ketchikan. Very sad.  Thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to all on the Care list. 

@aliaschiefEnjoy your cruise and upgrade to the Neptune suite!

@richwmn I’m sorry about your September 4th cruise but totally understand why. 

@StLouisCruisers I’m sorry about your trip to see family and the graduation but I believe you made the right decision. 

Welcome @msmayor!  We are all a Family here on the Daily. 

I need to get going. I have a hair appointment in an hour. Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I heard from my friend last night (the one who had the mastectomy); instead of doing a double, the surgeon only removed one, so my friend says she's now left with a unicorn boob

Good news on your friend’s recovery from surgery and her good sense of humour.  Shows she has a good outlook on life.  DH is a firm believer that those with the right outlook heal better than those without. 👍 

• Like 21

Good Morning from the NA.  It’s a gray day outside hopefully the sun will come out later.  We will have our fourth Tamarind meal tonight.  One thing of note.  The accounting department doesn’t seem to understand that the Have it All promotion includes a free meal that we can book ahead of time.  They applied our 5* meals but are charging for the promotional meal, at half off.  Frustrating.  I’ll be talking with the concierge later this morning.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1