Fly into Seattle, but cruise from Vancouver?

GottaLuvCruising

We are doing an Alaska cruise-tour July 2022.  

For same itinerary, but in May, Princess is offering flight options into Seattle.  Does the cruise line offer transfers from Seattle for a Vancouver cruise?  If not, what would be the best experience for transportation?  (I'd love a train if that's an option.)  

Thank you for any assistance!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

For same itinerary, but in May, Princess is offering flight options into Seattle.  Does the cruise line offer transfers from Seattle for a Vancouver cruise?  If not, what would be the best experience for transportation?  (I'd love a train if that's an option.)  

Great Question! I looked up airfare using miles and it's basically free if I can fly into Seattle but not Vancouver. 

Following for answers 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

Princess will offer a transfer if they offer flights to Seattle. It is a three hour bus ride without traffic and border delays. You will have to have your passport ready to enter Canada. Vancouver is a great city to visit if you fly in and spend a few days pre-cruise. Personally I would fly into Vancouver a few days early and probably stay in the Gastown district. We were there many years ago. 

I searched and there is a daily train service. You can search schedules on line. If you fly into Seattle you are flying to Sea-Tac airport which is south of the city, and your flight will have to be timed to meet what appears to be a one train a day schedule.

Assume you are flying home from Alaska. 

• Like 1

I agree with skynight. I would fly into Vancouver. Did the flight into Sea-Tac many years ago for Alaska cruise. I said, would never do that again. 3hr bus ride with no hold ups. We were the last bus to arrive, before the ship set sail. And I think they pulled up the gangway, as soon as we boarded.

• Like 1

We used the train from Seattle to Vancouver for a cruise 2 years ago. Also returned that way. It was a good experience with the train following the coast for much of it. Views were good. We would do it again although only going this time and flying back. We just wanted to get home after the cruise. It was much less of a hassle than flying.

• Like 1

For anyone considering the train it's good to get to the terminal a bit early to get the best seats that will be assigned when you check in. Request the left side going north and the right going south for the best views.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skynight said:

Princess will offer a transfer if they offer flights to Seattle. It is a three hour bus ride without traffic and border delays. You will have to have your passport ready to enter Canada. Vancouver is a great city to visit if you fly in and spend a few days pre-cruise. Personally I would fly into Vancouver a few days early and probably stay in the Gastown district. We were there many years ago. 

I searched and there is a daily train service. You can search schedules on line. If you fly into Seattle you are flying to Sea-Tac airport which is south of the city, and your flight will have to be timed to meet what appears to be a one train a day schedule.

Assume you are flying home from Alaska. 

Your assumption is correct.  We'll fly home from Anchorage.  

We have experience both Seattle and Vancouver pre or post cruise.  My sister and BIL are cruising, too.  They would like to pre cruise in Seattle and we all fly JetBlue - which we can do to Seattle.  

If Princess transfers are an option, that's what we'd choose as I prefer as hassle free as possible.  Let someone else do the planning and worrying.  

• Like 1

On our first cruise, which was to Alaska, another couple was also going. It was RT Vancouver, BC. We all lived in Portland, Oregon at the time. The day before the cruise, we drove with our two daughters to Vancouver, BC. The other couple decided to take the train from Portland. I remember her saying that part of the transfer was also on a bus. They had to wait quite some time at the border. They regretted not just driving. We had a blast in Vancouver with our daughters and parking at Canada Place was a breeze, convenient and actually, very reasonable.

Personally, I would fly into Vancouver and enjoy the city.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

If I were you I would book flights on your own.  Vancouver is a great city and once you get downtown via a train or cab, stay in a hotel within a 4 block radius, you can walk to the cruise terminal with no worries.  Go in a day early as Vancouver is a nice city and lots to see near the port. If other ships are in the day before you can walk around near them as well

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

If I were you I would book flights on your own.  Vancouver is a great city and once you get downtown via a train or cab, stay in a hotel within a 4 block radius, you can walk to the cruise terminal with no worries.  Go in a day early as Vancouver is a nice city and lots to see near the port. If other ships are in the day before you can walk around near them as well

We may book our flights independently.  We are about a month before availability will be posted.  

We have enjoyed Vancouver before and might just fly there.  But if we can make Seattle work, that's our preference, if only so we can JetBlue outbound.  

Eight or nine years ago, my wife and I and two other couples flew from Indiana into Seattle the day before our cruise out of Vancouver, BC.  Cost was a factor for one of the couples.  We spent the night at a Hampton Inn near the airport.  We rented a minivan for one day so we could drive to dinner that evening.  We had all booked the Princess transfer from SeaTac (the Seattle airport) to the ship at the terminal in Vancouver.  So the next morning, which was the morning of the cruise, we returned to SeaTac.  We met the Princess customer service people at the arranged location; when the motor coaches were ready, we boarded and took the 3 to 4 hour trip to Vancouver.  The only delay was at the border.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, birdiebill said:

Eight or nine years ago, my wife and I and two other couples flew from Indiana into Seattle the day before our cruise out of Vancouver, BC.  Cost was a factor for one of the couples.  We spent the night at a Hampton Inn near the airport.  We rented a minivan for one day so we could drive to dinner that evening.  We had all booked the Princess transfer from SeaTac (the Seattle airport) to the ship at the terminal in Vancouver.  So the next morning, which was the morning of the cruise, we returned to SeaTac.  We met the Princess customer service people at the arranged location; when the motor coaches were ready, we boarded and took the 3 to 4 hour trip to Vancouver.  The only delay was at the border.  

That would totally work for us.  Minimal hassle.  I'd love the train experience, but Princess shuttle sounds perfect.  

We had a cruise out of Vancouver before the shutdown. Another option is the Quickshuttle. The bus leaves from SeaTac airport and will drop you at your hotel in Vancouver. It was faster than the train and dropped you right at your hotel. Don’t remember the cost, but was less than the train and even added to our flight into Seattle was less than a flight to Vancouver with the airport train plus a taxi to our hotel. The trip was long and had a long inspection with luggage at the border, still shorter and cheaper than the train/ taxi. Plus it was raining hard the whole time. We stayed at the downtown Hyatt and it was a two block walk to the ship. Easy, even pushing our Mom in a wheelchair. We are going there again next year and would do it again, depending on the airfare

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 11:04 AM, PACD_JG said:

Following as I'm going June 2022 from Vancouver-Whittier.  Initial thought though...why...

If you are asking why fly to Seattle instead of Vancouver, the answer is the cost of the plane tickets.

Flying into/from Vancouver can cost significantly more than flying into/from Seattle even when adding in the cost of the Princess transfers.

24 minutes ago, caribill said:

If you are asking why fly to Seattle instead of Vancouver, the answer is the cost of the plane tickets.

Flying into/from Vancouver can cost significantly more than flying into/from Seattle even when adding in the cost of the Princess transfers.

Interestingly, I just went to United and typed in my dates for a multi-city DAY-YVR, ANC-DAY and it is cheaper than DAY-SEA, ANC-DAY.  I did this for April 2022 when I booked the flight in May and going to Canada was cheaper than too.  YMMV.

On 8/6/2021 at 6:24 AM, GottaLuvCruising said:

We've taken the train up from Bellingham to Vancouver in the past.  It originated in Seattle.  It was a beautiful option.  Sit on the side that faces the water. 

If it's a longer sailing, you may want to consider taking the Quick Shuttle bus, though.  The train, while an absolutely wonderful and scenic option, you will be a bit more limited if you need a lot of luggage for the rest of your trip.  Plus, you will be dropped off across from the Sky Train, then, transfer there and then walk the rest of the way to Canada Place.  It's easy enough if you pack lightly but you will have to get a cab from the train station otherwise.  

We've used the Quick Shuttle and they are pretty much door to door service.  The busses are clean and comfortable with a relatively clean bathroom at the back.  

Both options require a stop and check at the border.  With Quick Shuttle, we had to take our luggage off the bus to go through the security screening process and reboard after claiming our luggage to be loaded back onto the bus.  I think that may have been going the other direction, though .... coming back into the US.  I've used them both ways and my memory may be failing me.  Anyway, on the train, you don't have to disembark with your luggage but border control will come onto the train and check passports.  You will then have to go through customs at the end of the line on at the train station.  With the Quick Coach, they will take you directly to the pier after going across the border.  

They both have their plusses!  Both also have senior and AAA discounts.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, caribill said:

Just of note, why using EZ air, domestic travel is hardly ever discounted but international air has some incredible values.  The US to Canada is considered international travel so you may want to peek at that option.  

• Like 2

Yes, Princess offers bus transfers, BUT they can’t guarantee you’ll make the ship because Vancouver has tricky tides. If there’s a delay driving or at the border, there’s a chance you could miss your cruise. I say this because we had a close call on the Princess transfer from Seattle to Vancouver many years ago. We checked in for the transfer at 9:00 AM as instructed, but so many people had flown in early morning that we are scheduled for the second to last bus! 😳 We departed, and at the border, they told us our bus was having mechanical problems, and we’d have to wait for the last bus to come and pick us up. That bus did save the day for us, but then we hit major traffic in Vancouver. They warned us that due to tides, they may not be able to wait for us. It was a very tense ride. We did thankfully make it, and we all raced onboard as the rest of the ship was finishing the Muster Drill. Ever since then, we fly into Vancouver the day before, just not worth the risk to us. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just of note, why using EZ air, domestic travel is hardly ever discounted but international air has some incredible values.  The US to Canada is considered international travel so you may want to peek at that option.  

we are playing with flight options for May sailings as we develop a strategy for our transport.  Everything is still up in the air.  My BIL is 6'7" and felt cramped in JetBlue's MINT seating last time.  We do upgrade seats when booking flights and would like to snag first class for our return, if possible.  

Our considerations are wanting to fly JetBlue where we can.  Upgraded flights / seats where possible.  Minimal hassles / transfers.  And hoping to have a couple days in Seattle.  

Thanks for all the help, details!  

• Like 1