Chops grille worth it for $54

I enjoyed the one time I went to Chops on Empress. It was even better as we won the dinner there thanks to a raffle at meet and mingle. Not one to pay extra for food except when they had the galley tour and champagne lunch afterwards. I would always get it at a reduced price through one our servers in the MDR though. $54 seems too high to me as you are giving up your included meal in the MDR.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

Looking at doing it the day of boarding for lunch. $23 and to avoid the crowds in the Windjammer on embarkation day. The main thing I miss about HAL when they had MDR open for lunch during embarkation.

2 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

It's been a very long time since they had the pre-set menu with optional wine pairing.  I much preferred that to their current menu selections, which have been in place since at least 2016. The salt service is also gone.  I really enjoyed that.

Your right, the pre set menu is a Chiefs Table. We have not been at 150 since 2016 and agree if the salt service is gone I would be disappointed.  It encouraged me to come home and order a salt assortment product from a distributer which was great. The salt serving was a key element at 150.

• Like 2

Since we've become suite snobs, I've been getting my Chops fix in Coastal Kitchen on the first night. That menu had (at least it used to) filet mignon on the first night that I found to be quite good. Plus, they have an onion soup up there that reminds me of what Chops used to offer. It's "mmm mmm good!"

I do remember, though, when Chops was going up to $30 or $35 or something. Personally, I just don't think it's worth $50+, especially on an Oasis-class ship that offers Coastal Kitchen if that's an option.

Edited by Daghis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Looking at doing it the day of boarding for lunch. $23 and to avoid the crowds in the Windjammer on embarkation day. The main thing I miss about HAL when they had MDR open for lunch during embarkation.

Just a word of caution about lunches on embarkation day.  With the later boarding times, I would be concerned that the specialty restaurant would be open on boarding day.  Yes, I know that they are still selling the embarkation day lunches....but I have a strong suspicion that they are going to be refunding some money on those.  Hope I'm wrong.  We always get the UDP and I love boarding day lunches in the specialty restaurants but I'm not holding my breath that they will actually be available on boarding day for a while.

59 minutes ago, Daghis said:

Since we've become suite snobs, I've been getting my Chops fix in Coastal Kitchen on the first night. That menu had (at least it used to) filet mignon on the first night that I found to be quite good. Plus, they have an onion soup up there that reminds me of what Chops used to offer. It's "mmm mmm good!"

I do remember, though, when Chops was going up to $30 or $35 or something. Personally, I just don't think it's worth $50+, especially on an Oasis-class ship that offers Coastal Kitchen if that's an option.

I find CK extremely mediocre, I definitely prefer Chops . Celebrity Luminae is a much nicer suite restaurant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jfio1021 said:

If your professional cruising opinion is chops grille worth it for an extra 55 bucks, are the quality of the steaks that much better than main dining room. Is it not even your favorite speciality restaurant on the oasis class ships? 

No,would you spend $55 extra dollars in a neighborhood restaurant ?

• Like 2

I enjoy MDR and like taking to others at our table. Like to hear how their day went. Always request a table for at least 6.  Why I left NCL years ago when they got rid of traditional dining. Just boring to me to sit alone as a couple at a table in an extra fee restaurant.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, coaster said:

I enjoy MDR and like taking to others at our table. Like to hear how their day went. Always request a table for at least 6.  Why I left NCL years ago when they got rid of traditional dining. Just boring to me to sit alone as a couple at a table in an extra fee restaurant.

We always request a big table too for the same reasons. Some cruises have been a bust though because people go to specialty restaurants or Windjammer and the wait staff won't let you switch tables. There have been times whe we were the only 2 people at an 8-top for the entire cruise!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

No,would you spend $55 extra dollars in a neighborhood restaurant ?

Nope, $15 to $25 at tops for a steak restaurant that includes a salad with your meal. Vacation or not. $55 is too high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2chiefs said:

We always request a big table too for the same reasons. Some cruises have been a bust though because people go to specialty restaurants or Windjammer and the wait staff won't let you switch tables. There have been times whe we were the only 2 people at an 8-top for the entire cruise!

Done the table for 8 before and we were alone. We were offered the chance to move to another table though. I just kept the table for 2 and know we will cruise again at some point in the near future where the table will probably be closer to 8. I am just happy to have the same servers every night unlike NCL.

4 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

I'm a no at that price. Izumi is the one specialty I do pay for because it's not replicated elsewhere onboard. I was not impressed by Giovanni's, wouldn't repeat that again. 

Honestly, some of my favorite dinners have been at Windjammer. Bottle of wine, sitting outside at sunset, and great service. It's a totally different vibe for dinner. 

So true about the atmosphere.  Someday I would like to do the lagoon lunch in Tahiti, where the tables are in the water and honestly, they could serve me a Pop Tart and I would probably think it was the best meal ever!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, coaster said:

You sound like my husband.

• Like 1

Worth it is so subjective. My husband loves Choppes so we typically go if we have a small cruising group. I have seen service and quality decline over the years. Not worth it to me, but it is to him.  So we compromise and go. (Married 27 years, it goes both ways. I wanted a dog for 10+ years. He didn’t.  We eventually compromised about year 11 and got a dog). 

And totally agree if there is a big group small tables get lost in the shuffle 

Edited by cindivan
  • Like 2

Back in 2017, we were on Vision for a Baltic cruise.  When we boarded we headed up to the MDR to confirm our dinner reservation, the crew member tried to sell us a dinner package.  With a bit of haggling, I got her to give us a 25% discount for the steakhouse (Chops?).  This was our last meal of the cruise and I have to say it was scrumptious!

6 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I've heard that the Windjammer is currently closed for dinner.

On some of the recent sailings...Assume that will change overtime as cruising moves forward.

Hope so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boscobeans said:

It's NOT the price it is the QUALITY.

No way are any of the steaks in Chops worth 50+/.

Steak for TWO at Peter Luger's is only $104. and there is absolutely NO WAY they can be compared.

We loved Delmonico about the same price.

• Like 1

It has been an enjoyable experience.  It is not the best steak in the world.  There are many local steak houses that we prefer for roughly the same price.

Yes, we do chops occasionally.  Not every cruise.

I put Chops at roughly an "Outback" quality steak, with better appetizer, sides, and desserts.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Honestly, some of my favorite dinners have been at Windjammer. Bottle of wine, sitting outside at sunset, and great service. It's a totally different vibe for dinner. 

I totally agree.  Very relaxing with a great view!

11 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

It has been an enjoyable experience.  It is not the best steak in the world.  There are many local steak houses that we prefer for roughly the same price.

Yes, we do chops occasionally.  Not every cruise.

I put Chops at roughly an "Outback" quality steak, with better appetizer, sides, and desserts.

Funny we normally go to higher end restaurants but could not get a reservation so we listened to music and had drinks at a upscale place then went to outback for the first time in a while last night, agree in general but atmosphere is nicer at chops and they have a better wine list. 

• Like 1