What Sandwich is everyone talking about on Allure?

2 hours ago, barb in ga said:

My favorite sandwiches from the Park Cafe are the grilled panini. They also have good soup--my fave is the mushroom which is almost as good as Chops.

Barb

Yes, 35yrs Cruising Royal and if you say Soup I say Mushroom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

It's a roast beef sandwich on a Kimmelweck roll and RCL's version isn't as tasty as the ones made in Buffalo where they are known as Beef on Weck. Kimmelweck rolls are like a salted hard Kaiser roll with caraway.  

The best one I had on a ship was at the Splendour's Park Cafe up in the Solarium.  Still needing to know where on Voyager this is served for a cruise next year?

Not available on Voyager. 

• Thanks 1

I agree that 270 is a great space on the Quantum class ships, but didn't like Cafe 270 as well as Park Cafe-JMHO! 

The Lay's potato chips in snack bags are a nice thing to pick up for later, but the cookies are great too!

I mentioned my fondness for soup, but I especially love the cold fruit soups that were always on the MDR menu. I've learned you can ask the waiter for them and next day..voila!  Same is true with Sesame Bites, the thumb-size triangle shaped dinner rolls covered in poppy seeds. YUM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Read it somewhere, don't remember which one or where to get it.  Was it the roast beef or steak sandwich?  Windjammer?  Boarding Sunday and need to try to plan out every meal!! 😉 J/K, but I wanted to try the thing people have been talking about...

TIA!

Waaaaaay over rated. It's one of those things like Li'l Sebastian in Parks & Rec that only people who like it "get it" everyone else is "huh?". It was one of the most underwhelming experiences we've had, people here "sell it" so much. If you've had a roast beef sandwich at any deli, you're bound to be utterly disappointed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

It's a roast beef sandwich on a Kimmelweck roll and RCL's version isn't as tasty as the ones made in Buffalo where they are known as Beef on Weck. Kimmelweck rolls are like a salted hard Kaiser roll with caraway.  

The best one I had on a ship was at the Splendour's Park Cafe up in the Solarium.  Still needing to know where on Voyager this is served for a cruise next year?

Yes you are so

right. I am

from Buffalo and here that sandwich is called beck on weck.  It is thinly sliced roast beef with aus jus and optional

horseradish on a kimmelwick roll which is basically a roll with caraway seeds and salt.  If you ever find yourself in Buffalo you must try it along with

our chicken wings of course!

6 hours ago, RFerrington said:

When they first started serving the kummelweck, they had a nice au jus, which was really good.  Then, for some reason, they started serving this nasty thick brown gravy, which was truly horrible.

Horseradish or nothing😉

• Like 6

5 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I thought the bun was really good, but I got a hunk of meat with gristle and fat. Wasn’t much left when I got rid of it, but wouldn’t stop me from trying it again. 

Get extra meat next time, and walk away if it's not rare

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Gotcha, and spiny lobsters aren't as good as Maine lobsters, only Buffalo makes proper wings, best pizza and bagels is in NYC, etc....

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 9:34 PM, crzndeb said:

I thought the bun was really good, but I got a hunk of meat with gristle and fat. Wasn’t much left when I got rid of it, but wouldn’t stop me from trying it again. 

I've been told to ask for 2 slices.

I did, so, after the gristle and the fat, I had enough "clean" meat 😉

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 6:06 PM, coldflame said:

Waaaaaay over rated. It's one of those things like Li'l Sebastian in Parks & Rec that only people who like it "get it" everyone else is "huh?". It was one of the most underwhelming experiences we've had, people here "sell it" so much. If you've had a roast beef sandwich at any deli, you're bound to be utterly disappointed.

Great reference! Never thought I see the name "Lil

Sebastian " on Cc!!👏👏👏👏👏👏

2 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

While you are enjoying your sandwich or not, the potato soup in Cafe 270 is one of my favorite things, give it a try if you see it as soup of the day.

I have a B2B on Oct 1 to Alaska, and I’m definitely looking forward to trying soups. It will be the perfect weather for it.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 2:24 PM, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

A hunk of beef with gravy?

Dear God they've butchered my favorite food.😭😭😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2021 at 10:42 AM, ryano said:

Reviews are all over the place it seems but Ive been wanting to try this sandwich.    I dont think Ovation has a Park Cafe 😞   

The Ovation does have a Park Cafe.  It's close to 270.  Ate there when on the ship in August.

3 minutes ago, denamo said:

The Ovation does have a Park Cafe.  It's close to 270.  Ate there when on the ship in August.

Not near 270. 270 has it's own cafe, called Cafe 270.  Sandwich is there.  On deck is Cafe Promenade.  Bistro by the Solarium.