The Daily for Saturday August 21, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon all , I hope everyone is having a great day. We’re supposed to get some rain tonight and tomorrow from Henri and then back to a heat wave next week. 
  @rafinmd, a request for the care list . A member of the Cape May NJ beach patrol was injured on duty Thursday when the lifeboat he was rowing was broadsided by a wave . He hit his head and was pulled out by other guards and given CPR and airlifted to a trauma center Sadly, he passed on Friday night.

He was 16 years old. Prayers for his family and the Beach patrol members

RIP Norman Inferrerra 3rd.💔🙏

That is so sad 💔. So young and protecting others 😢 Our condolences and prayers to Norman, his family and friends 🙏🏻 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon all , I hope everyone is having a great day. We’re supposed to get some rain tonight and tomorrow from Henri and then back to a heat wave next week. 
  @rafinmd, a request for the care list . A member of the Cape May NJ beach patrol was injured on duty Thursday when the lifeboat he was rowing was broadsided by a wave . He hit his head and was pulled out by other guards and given CPR and airlifted to a trauma center Sadly, he passed on Friday night.

It is always sad when someone is killed doing a job protecting others, but it is doubly sad when it is someone so young with his life ahead of him.  Our condolences to his family, friends and those who worked with him.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Done.  Such a sad event.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. We still seem to be getting a lot of smoke. The weather is cooler, does that mean summer is over? I plan to stay very busy today as I am feeling a lot of loneliness. Son and grandkids should arrive at his new house in Mobil Alabama today after driving a trailer with their belongings over 2500 miles. 

Thanks everyone for being here and caring for each other. From all that Rich does, to the care that Roy puts into his list to all the information I get from the food, drink and garden tips to the wonderful photos of places I could go once all the BHBs start again, thank you for this place. 

Please take care of yourself and keep thinking about that next cruise!!!

• Like 9

Both my 2018 and 2020 Crystal World Cruises visited Napier but in 2020 I left the ship in Auckland to explore New Zealand's train system a bit and missed Napier.  I had no great plans in 2018 just planning to walk around town a bit and saw what is already pictured here but added one last minute idea.  I was almost ready to return to the ship when I saw a hop-on hop-off bus:

hopon.jpg

We strayed further than most such tours passing a large sheep shearing facility:

sheepshear.jpg

The old harbor was a couple of miles away, now too small to accommodate modern ships but once the center of commerce:

oldharbor.jpg

A prominent feature there was the Tobacco Building, an Art Deco building now used as a winery:

tobacco.jpg

Before returning to the ship I saw a statue of Pania, a feature of Maori mythology:

pania.jpg

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good evening all!

Just got back home from Branson. Need to do a little unpacking and finish polishing my sermon for tomorrow at our local retirement home. 

We are having a block party by my house this evening, a summer bash complete with a band. My DH and I are torn about attending. It is outside and we are vaccinated, but St Louis County had over 300 new cases yesterday and we have a lot of kids around, all of whom went back to school this week. Hard to say whether we are being over cautious or not. Especially since I will be with a group of (vaccinated) 80 year olds tomorrow, I think I’ll err on the side of safety.

Thanks for all that goes into the Daily; I always read even when I don’t post.

Sending prayers for all on the care list. So sad to hear of Notman, the young man who died. How awful for his parents. And praying that all those in the path of Henri (and Grace as well) are safe. We passed a huge convoy of electric trucks from Oklahoma Public service. I imagine they are heading northeast to help in Henri’s aftermath. Safe travels for them, they have quite a ways to drive. 🙏🏻  And celebrating with all. Hard to believe the 5th HAL cruise is already leaving from Seattle. Good times for everyone! 🍷

St Louis Sal

Edited by St. Louis Sal
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

A member of the Cape May NJ beach patrol was injured on duty Thursday when the lifeboat he was rowing was broadsided by a wave . He hit his head and was pulled out by other guards and given CPR and airlifted to a trauma center Sadly, he passed on Friday night.

How very sad.   My heart goes out to Norman's friends and family.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Yes that is correct , it was a very nice drive out there and a great place to overlook the river and valleys . 

It was a stunning view.  We have referred to it as 'the bus ballet' as  they were jockeying those big buses around the little parking lot.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

A member of the Cape May NJ beach patrol was injured on duty Thursday when the lifeboat he was rowing was broadsided by a wave . He hit his head and was pulled out by other guards and given CPR and airlifted to a trauma center Sadly, he passed on Friday night.

Sending prayers. What a tragic accident.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Evening all - my first check in for today after a busy couple of days.  Still trying to catch up from being out of town for most of the week.

Many thanks for the regular posts of so many of you, but especially @richwmn and @rafinmd for all you do to keep these conversations going.

So many to care for on the list - challenging times for many, and sometimes hard to understand why we must go through these trials.  I was once asked the question "Would you rather have a life filled with the highest of highs but the lowest of lows, or a life that just moved along without trials and tribulations but little excitement?"  I would take the first - knowing that the highs of life, the times of pure joy and unbridled happiness, are the times that help carry us through the tough times.  

I had the chance to observe quite a few honeybees while in Atlanta at the botanical garden - fascinating creatures, moving from flower to flower.  

Pass on the drink of the day - not a fan of coconut.  The rosemary chicken sounds delicious and comforting - will need to remember that recipe.

A most happy anniversary to @grapau27 and your bride.  A wonderful milestone that is worthy of celebration.

Been watching the track of Henri.  We are out of the cone and may only see a couple days of rain/light winds, but I have friends who are smack in the center of the cone on Long Island.  Hoping that major damage is minimal.  

New Zealand is a bucket-list destination for me and due to the long flight, likely a one-and-done.  My dream would be to spend 3-4 weeks touring Australia and New Zealand to see as much as I can.

My big accomplishment this weekend has been to return to the gym.  The COVID shutdowns claimed the small local gym that I had been a member of for nearly four years.  A brand new Planet Fitness finally opened close by and I started back yesterday.  It will take a while to get back into a routine, but daily movement and exercise will be good for my energy and health.

Stay safe and healthy all...

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Been watching the track of Henri.  We are out of the cone and may only see a couple days of rain/light winds, but I have friends who are smack in the center of the cone on Long Island.  Hoping that major damage is minimal.  

New Zealand is a bucket-list destination for me and due to the long flight, likely a one-and-done.  My dream would be to spend 3-4 weeks touring Australia and New Zealand to see as much as I can.

Ouch on Long Island.  Not a place I'd like to be right now.  If you ever get a chance a ship is a great way to get to Australia and New Zealand.

Roy

• Like 7

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good evening all!

Just got back home from Branson. Need to do a little unpacking and finish polishing my sermon for tomorrow at our local retirement home. 

We are having a block party by my house this evening, a summer bash complete with a band. My DH and I are torn about attending. It is outside and we are vaccinated, but St Louis County had over 300 new cases yesterday and we have a lot of kids around, all of whom went back to school this week. Hard to say whether we are being over cautious or not. Especially since I will be with a group of (vaccinated) 80 year olds tomorrow, I think I’ll err on the side of safety.

Thanks for all that goes into the Daily; I always read even when I don’t post.

Sending prayers for all on the care list. So sad to hear of Notman, the young man who died. How awful for his parents. And praying that all those in the path of Henri (and Grace as well) are safe. We passed a huge convoy of electric trucks from Oklahoma Public service. I imagine they are heading northeast to help in Henri’s aftermath. Safe travels for them, they have quite a ways to drive. 🙏🏻  And celebrating with all. Hard to believe the 5th HAL cruise is already leaving from Seattle. Good times for everyone! 🍷

St Louis Sal

An early Happy Birthday too you!🎂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

What an horrific accident, condolences to his parents and the community,what a shock for everyone concerned.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, msmayor said:

Our first visit we flew straight threw to Australia and New Zealand (there and back). It was very long,  I discovered that some savvy cruisers who knew better did a stop over in Hawaii for a couple of days and then carried on. Just in case it is of help.

Watching Henri and it doesn’t look good for Long Island right now,  I was so hoping it would move out to the Atlantic Ocean 😔 

• Like 5

Thanks for all the Daily news, photos and humour.

Napier is a pleasant city to visit, the locals enjoy entertaining cruise ship visitors.

@ger_77your Dipladenias are beautiful, sometimes plants need a stern message to flourish.

@grapau27congratulations to you both on your Anniversary.

Today the good news is that 1 million NZ'ers have now received both Pfizer vaccinations, roll out of the vaccines has been very slow.  More supplies of the vaccine arrived in the country yesterday.

Numbers continue to rise, another 21 today, total now 72.

Daylight hours are gradually increasing each day, temperature now is 13 C, cloudy ,some feeble sun.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the Daily news, photos and humour.

Napier is a pleasant city to visit, the locals enjoy entertaining cruise ship visitors.

@ger_77your Dipladenias are beautiful, sometimes plants need a stern message to flourish.

@grapau27congratulations to you both on your Anniversary.

Today the good news is that 1 million NZ'ers have now received both Pfizer vaccinations, roll out of the vaccines has been very slow.  More supplies of the vaccine arrived in the country yesterday.

Numbers continue to rise, another 21 today, total now 72.

Daylight hours are gradually increasing each day, temperature now is 13 C, cloudy ,some feeble sun.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Thank you Erewhon.

Sorry to hear your numbers are rising but great news you are getting more Pfizer vaccine.

Graham.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, msmayor said:

Evening all - my first check in for today after a busy couple of days.  Still trying to catch up from being out of town for most of the week.

Many thanks for the regular posts of so many of you, but especially @richwmn and @rafinmd for all you do to keep these conversations going.

So many to care for on the list - challenging times for many, and sometimes hard to understand why we must go through these trials.  I was once asked the question "Would you rather have a life filled with the highest of highs but the lowest of lows, or a life that just moved along without trials and tribulations but little excitement?"  I would take the first - knowing that the highs of life, the times of pure joy and unbridled happiness, are the times that help carry us through the tough times.  

I had the chance to observe quite a few honeybees while in Atlanta at the botanical garden - fascinating creatures, moving from flower to flower.  

Pass on the drink of the day - not a fan of coconut.  The rosemary chicken sounds delicious and comforting - will need to remember that recipe.

A most happy anniversary to @grapau27 and your bride.  A wonderful milestone that is worthy of celebration.

My big accomplishment this weekend has been to return to the gym.  The COVID shutdowns claimed the small local gym that I had been a member of for nearly four years.  A brand new Planet Fitness finally opened close by and I started back yesterday.  It will take a while to get back into a routine, but daily movement and exercise will be good for my energy and health.

Stay safe and healthy all...

Thank you msmayor for your lovely message.

Graham & Pauline x 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I'm very sorry to hear the sad news about Norman.

Our prayers 🙏 and condolences for his family and friends.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1