New CDC Guidance for Cruise Ship Travel

maryann2

Saw this on the Celebrity board.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

So basically they are advising the elderly not to travel on cruise ships right now.

Who are defined as elderly. Over 65 ,70, 75, 80?

Does this mean that insurance will not cover those travelling against government advice?

9 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

So basically they are advising the elderly not to travel on cruise ships right now.

Does this mean that insurance will not cover those travelling against government advice?

The new guidance refers to anyone at high risk, not just the elderly. The travel notice itself recommends getting travel insurance if you choose to cruise anyway so it seems that mere guidance does not have the effect of an outright ban. 

Read your  policy to see if it contains wording about CDC travel notices or call you insurance provider.

3 hours ago, maryann2 said:

For some time, they have advised the unvaxxed to avoid cruises which is the proper advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

For some time, they have advised the unvaxxed to avoid cruises which is the proper advice.

Now they are saying that regardless of vaccinated status people with increased risk of severe illness should avoid travel on cruise ships.

Those with increased risk includes older adults. people with medical conditions and pregnancy.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/index.html

11 minutes ago, cruiseracer said:

Didn't read the link, taking OP's word for assessment. If accurate; it's appropriate to recognize that the CDC is advising and not ordering when it comes to cruising. 😉

Yes just recommendations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stellarose said:

any idea if the booster will be required to sail?  whole fam will be over 8 months by late fall? sail December. 

I doubt any cruiseline would hint or consider it before sept 20th when they say it becomes available. Usually protocols just hit suddenly. Without warning. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I doubt any cruiseline would hint or consider it before sept 20th when they say it becomes available. Usually protocols just hit suddenly. Without warning. 

I was under the impression that the booster is not to be taken until 8 months after the 2nd vaccine shot (with the possible exception of immuno-compromised people). If that is the case, then it will be a few more months before most are eligible.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stellarose said:

but my entire fam is due in November we cruise in December.  if we can get the booster. 

I would not think getting the booster shot will be a problem. There is plenty of doses of vaccine available. The problem is that it is not getting into the arms of those who somehow see the vaccines as a negative rather than a lifesaver.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

I would not think getting the booster shot will be a problem. There is plenty of doses of vaccine available. The problem is that it is not getting into the arms of those who somehow see the vaccines as a negative rather than a lifesaver.

and then finding testing sites during Christmas.  phew I hope the booster is easy to get.  DH and I are both teachers so we got ours in February. 

8 minutes ago, stellarose said:

and then finding testing sites during Christmas.  phew I hope the booster is easy to get.  DH and I are both teachers so we got ours in February. 

DW is a teacher and we got our first in late January. The second dose was scheduled in February, but was postponed due to supply problems caused by winter weather. Our second shots ended up on March  first.

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I wouldn't worry about cruise lines requiring boosters for a while. They are likely to require testing of all for a while.

I think more likely we'll have a generic horizon for being vaccinated, whether it's the initial does (or two-dose series) or a booster. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I was under the impression that the booster is not to be taken until 8 months after the 2nd vaccine shot (with the possible exception of immuno-compromised people). If that is the case, then it will be a few more months before most are eligible.

It will be 8 months ..some started last december. Mostly first responders. Me and my mom were the first day it was available here. I think they sent the appt for my dad but that would have been too much for him. I suspect they went by age. He turns 103 in a couple of weeks. He got his as soon as his doctor got it in to give. Hes behind us 3 or 4 weeks. 

It was such a relief to me to get it. I would have stood on my head to not worry so much about giving it to my parents. I signed us up on every list. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It will be 8 months ..some started last december. Mostly first responders. Me and my mom were the first day it was available here. I think they sent the appt for my dad but that would have been too much for him. I suspect they went by age. He turns 103 in a couple of weeks. He got his as soon as his doctor got it in to give. Hes behind us 3 or 4 weeks. 

It was such a relief to me to get it. I would have stood on my head to not worry so much about giving it to my parents. I signed us up on every list. 

I think it's amazing that your dad is almost 103!  He must have some incredible memories.  My husband's grandmother lived to be just shy of 100.  It's so unusual for a man to have such a long life as your dad.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think it's amazing that your dad is almost 103!  He must have some incredible memories.  My husband's grandmother lived to be just shy of 100.  It's so unusual for a man to have such a long life as your dad.  

My Dad lived to be 101, and only died because he fell and broke something in his back that could not be operated on and was supposed to cure eventually by bed rest. But, you cannot just lie in bed when you are that old. He actually fell and broke his hip just short of 99. When visiting him afterwards in the ICU, we were told that the doctor's instructions said that he was supposed to die overnight. He lived another 1 1/2 years until that second fall.

Mom did not quite make it to 99, also a fall this one causing a broken hip.

Moral of the story---when you get to be very old, DO NOT FALL.

12 hours ago, stellarose said:

I just had my annual visit with my dr and asked if BS&W would be reaching out for the booster like they did for the initial vaccines. She said they would not, because boosters should easily be available from the local pharmacy.

In fact, I rcvd an email from Tom Thumb that we would be able to make appointments to get the booster with them when the time comes.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

The CDC will recommend no one cruises at all if they could! John Heald said this morning and I agree with him, right now being on a ship is a lot safer than being on land! I’ll take a cruise ship over a trip to Walmart any day!

I don't go to Walmart and although I love cruising, I can afford to wait until

next year.  The aggravation factor of all the protocols does not make it a vacation.

• Like 2