When will booster vaccine be required?

dolphfan

Being REQUIRED and being DESIRED are 2 different things. Hope to get on my next cruise which will be exactly 8 months after my J&J. I understand I might be REQUIRED to get it after that. 

2 hours ago, SportsFanatic said:

It’s crazy all the different opinions out there. Don’t even know what to believe anymore. My doctor said absolutely do not need a booster at this time and to wait

You definitely believe what your doctor, who knows your medical history, tells you. That’s what I did. It’s not surprising we’ve been told two different things. The generalizations prevalent on social media are what are clouding the issue in people’s minds. 

• Like 2

Oy!

The cruise lines are dealing with so much with the changing ship and port protocols as well as testing I can't imagine that they have even given the booster a thought since it is only available recently. However, I would keep an ear low to the ground because it will probably be one of those things that they announce a week before someone is boarding the ship. I'm going to hunker down waiting for those threads from those who never got the email or the travel agent never told them.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:16 AM, tert333 said:

You can count on the cruiselines enforcing this as some studies as seen the efficacy going down below 50% stretching out past 8 months.  All they need to check is the person has at least 2 vaccines and the last is within the last 8 months.   (need to take into account those people who decided to get vaccines later in the year)

That is based on the assumption they will require people to be fully vaccinated prior to cruising. 

Next the CDC and Cruise lines will be requiring a spike antibody test along with a negative covid test. 

5 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

So far Alabama hasn't said anything about when the booster might be available here, where to get it or who will be the first to be eligible for it.  Betting they follow the CDC guidelines for the booster.

Go to CVS or Walgreens and ask the pharmacist  when it will be available for everyone. Here in NY it will be available to everyone in September. I can't imagine it would be any different in any other state unless there is a supply issue which there shouldn't be.

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Go to CVS or Walgreens and ask the pharmacist  when it will be available for everyone. Here in NY it will be available to everyone in September. I can't imagine it would be any different in any other state unless there is a supply issue which there shouldn't be.

If the FDA gives approval which is likely. And then it will be for everywhere in the USA.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 8:33 PM, dolphfan said:

We are booked for January and will be beyond the CDC stated efficacy range of our vaccines. Will we then be required to get a booster? Does anyone have any ideas?

The CDC is backing off on the booster shots at present. A few directors actually gave notice as they feel the CDC is forging ahead without proper research(one reason I suspect much of their findings) I'd sit back & wait for more info. to come in before making a decision.

On 8/22/2021 at 8:33 PM, dolphfan said:

We are booked for January and will be beyond the CDC stated efficacy range of our vaccines. Will we then be required to get a booster? Does anyone have any ideas?

As usual there is a great deal of debate from our government in respect to a third or even a second (J& J) Booster Vaccination.

The government is pushing for a thrid booster injection using the mRNA Vaccination for all individuals who have received their second vaccination 8 months ago.  Some sources at the FDA, however, suggested that it should be six, not eight month.  In addition, it is my understanding that two respected scientists at the FDA are resigning because they feel that the government is mandating such vaccinations before they at the FDA have time to review all of the data. 

In addition, the government is no suggesting that individual who are immunocompromised get a third or booster injection.

Israel which has done a lot of extensive work with the Pfizer Vaccination is now administer a third or booster injection to all of their population.

I was offered a third booster from my local hospital and I took it.

My  opinion, for what it is worth, if it is offered and available, take it. 

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

I was offered a third booster from my local hospital and I took it.

My  opinion, for what it is worth, if it is offered and available, take it. 

I had my annual checkup last week and asked my doctor about the booster. He was fine with me getting it (probably due to my age and length of time since second dose) and would have the nurse call when they had an open vial that they would have to discard otherwise. We got the call on Tuesday.

Edited by billco

51 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Princess just added this language to the FAQs:

image.png.32030439772258899898d4f5b817710d.png

Full details are here https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Thank you for posting this update.  We received our 2nd vaccine mid-February and it would be in the 8 month range mid-October. Our 1st cruise is scheduled for Nov 1st on the Grand (19 days) and it could be difficult to get the booster before we sail.

• Like 2