AT LAST—cruising again—Live from the Silversea Origin August 28-September 4, 2021

RachelG

September 3, 2021–Santa Cruz Island, Galapagos 

We didn’t travel far during the night, just around to the north side of the island.  We had to be up early for a 7 am hike to see land iguanas.

The zodiac took us to a very rocky outcropping made of lava.  It was super slippery getting over the lava rocks and onto the beach, and a couple of people fell.  They do provide sturdy walking sticks for those who want them, but they aren’t much help of slick lava rocks.  Once we got off those though, the hike was easy with a great sandy trail.

This side of the island is totally different than yesterday.  Very arid with lots of cactus and plants that like little water.  There were lots of land iguanas, many with bright yellow heads and bodies.  We saw a few marine iguanas near the shore, and our guide told us that marine and land iguanas can mate and have hybrid babies, but we didn’t see any.

It was the perfect temperature for hiking, about 70 F with cloud cover.  There was even a little mist in the air at times.

Back to the ship, advanced deep water snorkeling was offered.  George went off to do that while I considered packing, but delayed.  One thing I should have brought but didn’t —plastic bags for our water shoes and hiking shoes.  My hiking shoes are falling apart, so I am leaving them here, but the others are a problem.  We get to keep the backpacks so I guess I will put them in one.

George came back reporting excellent snorkeling with lots of big and little fish, a manta ray the size of a zodiac, and a 4 ft long shark.  This again reminded me of why I don’t snorkel.

Lunch was a mixed bag.  Excellent margarita pizza and pasta puttanesca, but the weirdest chicken sandwich I have ever seen.  It had tartar sauce and cucumbers on it.  Fortunately you can order more different food.

We sailed for a while to a different location.  The zodiacs took us to one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on.  Pristine white sand, sea turtle tracks up to their nesting places, warm aqua blue water.  Warmest water I have encountered in the Galapagos.  We had to stay on the sandy part of the beach to avoid the sea turtle nests.  It was a very Long Beach, so I was able to get a lot of steps.

All to soon, we had to return to the ship—and the dreaded packing.  Then the final farewell.  We had dinner again upstairs at HotRocks.  The menu actually changes.  So tonight it was pork or fish, no beef.  Salads and appetizers are the same. Desserts are different.  It was vey nice.  I had pork which was quite tasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kayak lk said:

Thanks for your trip report, it is very helpful. We will be cruising there in August 2022. I have a question about snorkeling. Do they provide the snorkeling equipment? If so is it satisfactory? Does it include a wet suit or did you bring you non?

They provide excellent snorkeling gear including wet suit. And you get to keep the mask and snorkel, so they are brand new.

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

This again reminded me of why I don’t snorkel.

The zodiacs took us to one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on.  Pristine white sand, sea turtle tracks up to their nesting places, warm aqua blue water.  Warmest water I have encountered in the Galapagos.

I so do enjoy your sense of humor!

The beach sounds wonderful too.  I just love being able to walk right into warm water.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Haha 1

Sounds like you had a great time (a little to busy for me).  After packing relax and enjoy your time away.  Safe travels home, and safe travels when you go again.  Enjoying life is what we all do best, hope to be on a trip soon ourself.  Thanks again for taking your time to let us join you.  Photos are just wonderful.

• Like 1

September 4, 2021–disembarkation in San Cristobal, Galapagos and on to Guayaquil 

We were supposed to be out of our rooms by 7am.  Checked luggage had already been transported to the airport as we had to have it out by 11 pm the previous evening..  At 7:30 am, we loaded up into the zodiacs for the final ride to the dock in San Cristobal.  There were a couple of souvenir shops open, and we were actually allowed to shop a little.  Now that I have grandchildren, I actually bought them little t Shirts.

We then board a bus for the short ride to the airport, got our luggage, and checked in, went through passport control and security. It is a tiny airport with only 2 gates, but they have a nice priority pass club with good AC and fast wifi as well as nice bathrooms.

In Guayaquil, the Silversea rep met us after we collected our luggage.  We were taken by bus to the Oro Verde Hotel.  Dayrooms were provided.  We did the covid tests at the hotel—results were ready in an hour,and negative.  We took a walk along the Malecon while we waited.

Dinner at the hotel was included.  Afterward, we decided to take a short post dinner stroll.  Apparently the area around the hotel is frequented by ladies of the night, and we saw plenty of them looking for employment.  Our bus took us to the airport at 11:00 pm for a 1:50 am flight.

• Thanks 1

September 5, 2021–Guayaquil to Tulsa and final thoughts

Getting through passport control in Guayaquil took forever.  The line snaked on.  There were five agents working, but two families ahead of us did not have the proper documentation to take their children out of the country, and one of the men was throwing a fit. Due to that delay, security was very fast.

The Priority pass club in Guayaquil is very large and nice, with a full spread of food even at midnight.  Then we heard them paging George.  He went to see what was up and didn’t come back for a very long time.  I was starting to get worried as I had no idea why he had been paged.  Turns out, he had been selected for the dreaded SSS treatment.   They took him out down 3 flights of stairs, had him open his suitcase, went through all the stuff.  By the time he turned back up, it was time to board.

The flight was on AA in a nice 787, but completely bare bones, even in business.  I didn’t expect food, given it was the middle of the night.  But there was no service at all—no pillow or blanket (and it was freezing), no bottled water, nothing.  

The train between the gate and where you go through customs was packed tighter than a NYC subway at rush hour. People just kept getting on.  No distancing at all.

Customs was fast, and soon we were in the Admiral’s Club where they have started making avocado toast again.

The Origin is the most beautiful Silversea ship I have been on, very well thought out and designed.  The drop down marina at the back makes getting on and off the zodiacs very simple.  The public areas are spacious, and there would be more than adequate space even with a full ship.  Even the lowest category cabins are large, with tons of storage.  Staff is very helpful and friendly.

Negatives are few.  There is an under the sink night light in the bathroom which you can’t turn off.  The door between the bathroom and the rest of the cabin is frosted glass, so there is no way to get the room completely dark—I ended up tucking a towel over the edge of the sink and letting it drop down which helped a little.

The sliding mirror in the bathroom is a novel idea, but again, light comes around the edges, so when I would get up early, turning on the light in the bathroom would disturb George.  

The drapes are controlled electronically from a touch pad.  Great for opening and closing, but we both had a hard time getting them to be anything other than completely open or completely closed.

In conclusion, it was a great trip, and I would encourage anyone who is reasonably fit and loves nature to do it.  I hope if Silversea builds more expedition ships in the future, they will use this one as the prototype as it is by far the most beautiful and functional one we have been on.

• Like 5

Poor George! Didn't he get the SSSS treatment on our way back from the Iceland trip as well?

Welcome home - though that plane ride home doesn't sound too welcoming.

Silver Origin sounds delightful. We might have to go back to experience it for ourselves.

Very nice report, glad you made it safe and sound.  Unbelievable about AA service, should never be that way.  Again thanks for taking the time, Silversea will be are next cruise and first time on them.  So it was good to see how much you enjoyed the trip.  

• Thanks 1

Hello,

We are scheduled to go on this ship in the next few weeks.  However, due to the communication issues during the past two weeks we do not have flights confirmed.  As a result, we are unsure about returning flight schedules.  Question: What time did you fly SCY-GYE?  There is a major difference in connections depending on whether you take the 10:30 AM departure or 1:57 PM.

Also,  did everyone wear their masks throughout the week, including while socializing in the public areas?    

3 hours ago, RachelG said:

The train between the gate and where you go through customs was packed tighter than a NYC subway at rush hour. People just kept getting on.  No distancing at all.

Welcome to America, land where Covid rages on, but we pretend it’s not here.  If you thought the airport train was bad (where everyone wore a mask), you should have seen the college football stadiums yesterday (where no one wore a mask).

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!  After reading about the bath light issue, I wish DuctTape was still with us so we could hear her comments.  No light would get into her sleeping chamber.  God rest her soul.  She was a one of a kind and simply the best.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

After reading about the bath light issue, I wish DuctTape was still with us so we could hear her comments.  No light would get into her sleeping chamber.  God rest her soul.  She was a one of a kind and simply the best.  

Duct Tape was the first person I met in my very first SS cruise in 2009.  She was delighted to learn I was a pool person and said..."you won't miss me inside the pool; just look for the hat and gloves".  Yes, one of a kind, and simply the best.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Welcome to America, land where Covid rages on, but we pretend it’s not here.  If you thought the airport train was bad (where everyone wore a mask), you should have seen the college football stadiums yesterday (where no one wore a mask).

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!  After reading about the bath light issue, I wish DuctTape was still with us so we could hear her comments.  No light would get into her sleeping chamber.  God rest her soul.  She was a one of a kind and simply the best.  

Hi, I watched many of those games yesterday........and I LOVE football.......but part of me did wonder about how many of those folks will get sick😲

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Poor George! Didn't he get the SSSS treatment on our way back from the Iceland trip as well?

Welcome home - though that plane ride home doesn't sound too welcoming.

Silver Origin sounds delightful. We might have to go back to experience it for ourselves.

I was the one who got the SSSS treatment coming back from Iceland.  And yes, you need to go check out the Origin in person

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Durchal said:

Hello,

We are scheduled to go on this ship in the next few weeks.  However, due to the communication issues during the past two weeks we do not have flights confirmed.  As a result, we are unsure about returning flight schedules.  Question: What time did you fly SCY-GYE?  There is a major difference in connections depending on whether you take the 10:30 AM departure or 1:57 PM.

Also,  did everyone wear their masks throughout the week, including while socializing in the public areas?    

They told us not to book flights departing out of Guayaquil prior to 5:00 pm.   You have to have time to get the covid results back for one thing.  Originally I thought we were leaving SCY at 1:57, but they changed it.  I think this happens frequently 

1 minute ago, RachelG said:

They told us not to book flights departing out of Guayaquil prior to 5:00 pm.   You have to have time to get the covid results back for one thing.  Originally I thought we were leaving SCY at 1:57, but they changed it.  I think this happens frequently 

Forgot to answer the second part of the question.  On the ship, we were supposed to wear mask when not eating or drinking, and most people did.

Thanks for the wonderful travel report. It was great reading about someone on a cruise ship, especially someone i love to follow on the Regent board. Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound though not in the lap of luxury. Can't wait for your next trip.

We have a year before our first one 'after' the Covid shutdown. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Polecat said:

I missed what the Priority Pass is. Can you describe?

It's an independent airport lounge program.  My Chase card comes with a complimentary membership.  There aren't as many opportunities to use it within the USA, but there are lots of lounges internationally.

https://www.prioritypass.com/

Rachel, really enjoyed your reports.

Edited by RJ2002

19 minutes ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

so when they say don't book a flight before 5:00; did most people not do that? and what time did most people book flights for then?

The majority of flights out were on American at 1:50 am.  I would say 75% of us were on that flight.  There were a couple on a earlier jet blue flight, but only 2. And a few on an earlier Delta flight.