AT LAST—cruising again—Live from the Silversea Origin August 28-September 4, 2021

RachelG

CC Help Jenn
This post was recognized by CC Help Jenn!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic"

RachelG was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Finally, at last, we get to sail again.  Our last cruise was what seems ages ago, January 2020, when we visited our seventh continent, Antarctica on Silversea Cloud.  Now after 4 cancelled cruises, we are getting ready to embark on the brand new Silversea Origin in the Galapagos. So, as my friend Rich Wiseman (Mr. Rumor) says, I will set the table.

This will be George’s and my 3rd cruise in the Galapagos.  Our first was 15 years ago on Celebrity Xpedition.  We loved the Galapagos, but the ship was lacking and the food was terrible.  When Silversea started sailing in the Galapagos, we gave it another try on the Silversea Galapagos which was an older refurbished ship, but vastly improved over Xpedition and up to Silversea’s standards as far as food.  So when Silversea announced a new ship would be sailing there, we jumped at the chance to book.  

Today will be flying—Tulsa to DFW to Miami then on to Quito.  Currently we are in the Admiral’s Club at DFW after an early arrival, so hopefully all other flights will be as punctual. Then tomorrow we have to get covid tested in Quito.  Everyone has to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination.  Provided the tests are positive, we will then fly to the Galapagos and board the ship on Saturday.

I will provide commentary every day provided the Internet cooperates.  I hope I haven’t forgotten how to do this.  It has been so long.  If anyone has questions or things you want me to check out, just ask, and I will do my best to find the answer.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Hope George packed his hat  😊

No cowboy hat this trip.  He decided to come incognito as he was worried about being remembered from our last trip here because of his tendency to wander off.

• Haha 3

I look forward to reading your entries each morning when you travel! I’ve been ambivalent about booking this trip as hiking hot, arid islands with some interesting animals is not my cup of tea.  But, I love your point of view and candid comments.   I’m buckling in for the ride!  

jennifer

Me too - I'm all for sharing someone else's adventures right now, especially when they are going somewhere that's beyond possibility for me at the moment!  I'm ready for the off too 😎

• Like 1

August 27, 2021–Quito and the dreaded covid testing

Our flights all went off without a hitch, and we actually arrived a little early at Quito. Of note, Admirals Clubs are back up and running as usual with full food service and were kind of crowded, but everyone was wearing masks.

We booked our own flights but had been told to look for the Silversea rep at the airport.  If you book your own flights, transfers are not officially included, but we were on her list and she took us and another couple who had done their own flights with no problem.  It is a 45 minute drive to the hotel, but bus was big with only 6 of us.  Quito is at 9350 ft elevation, and I could tell when we were walking to the bus.

We have stayed at the JW Marriott twice before, and it appears they have done some upgrading to the rooms.  All Silversea passengers are on one floor together.  You have to show proof of vaccination at the airport and again at the hotel.  There is a dedicated Silversea check in desk.  

Room is large and bed comfortable, but we couldn’t adjust the air.  It was stuffy so I didn’t sleep well.  Finally gave up at 6 am.  We went down to a nice buffet breakfast (included), then for our covid tests which seemed to be more of a brain biopsy to me.  I have had several covid tests, and this one was particularly thorough.

Since we had been to Quito twice before, I planned something different for our day.  I hired a driver/guide to take us to the Mindo Cloud forest.  We drove along very twisty roads through lush tree covered countryside with steep cliffs on both sides.  First we visited a small but well done hummingbird sanctuary where you could see the birds close up.  The birds are totally free to come and go as they please, but there are a lot of feeders and plants the birds like, so the place was literally buzzing.  Then we went across a big gorge in a cable car and hiked a very steep trail to a waterfall.  Not for the faint of heart or anyone with mobility issues.  But it was a nice hike and burned a lot of calories.

That was ok because the next stop was a cacao plantation where they make delicious chocolate.  We learned all about the process and got to sample as much as we wanted.  Then lunch at a traditional Ecuadorian restaurant.  I had very fresh grilled trout, and George had fall off the bones pork ribs.

After lunch, we went to a coffee plantation and got to process our own coffee beans, roast and grind them and drink the finished product.  It was a good day.  Morning was clear and sunny, with temp about 70F.  While we were eating lunch, it started pouring rain, but that was fine since we had completed all the outdoor activities.

Back at the hotel, we had missed the included tour of Quito.  George was really happy with that!

We had dinner at the La Hacienda restaurant in the hotel.  It was just ok.  Beautiful dining room.  Salads were good and fresh.  Bread was awful (but that has been my experience with all bread in Ecuador.  They use the wrong kind of flour, but that is probably a good thing as bread is one of my weaknesses.). My steak, a ribeye, had great flavor but a lot of gristle.  George’s tenderloin was undercooked but looked great.  My asparagus was perfect, but his baked potato tasted weird.  I think it was probably cooked then reheated and was not heated through.  Service was good, and wine list was good.  All in all, would not eat there again.

Bags had to be out in the hall, unlocked so they can be inspected by 9 pm.  We also received official notification that masks have to be worn in all public places in the Galapagos,including zodiacs.  Only exceptions are uninhabited islands and out on the open deck on the ship or when eating or drinking.  I may need a drink in my hand at all times.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1