HERE IT IS. TESTING 2 days before

RoePost

I received the notice early this morning regarding my October 30 Majestic Princess cruise out of Los Angeles.  Figured, based on the notice, that I might as well check into "Quest Diagnostics"...

So, I went to their website and registered...

First thing I found out is that the closest testing centers they have to my home or to the Port of Los Angeles are either in Palmdale or Corona.  Anyone who knows the LA area will find this laughable.  For me, it would take a 90 mile round trip just to get tested.  They've got nothing anywhere close to the port, to LAX or to where 90% of the population actually lives...

Then, when you hit the end of the registration process, you can click on an ominous link and get this notice:

Notice for California and Oregon residents

Note: California and Oregon state laws require that lab results be held for 7 days before Quest can release them to MyQuest. This hold is in place so that your physician has the opportunity to discuss your lab test results with you prior to you receiving them in MyQuest. Additionally, some testing (such as HIV screenings) has additional delays in place so that your physician has the opportunity to discuss your results with you.

7 days???  That pretty much makes this thing completely worthless.  How do you wait 7 days after testing to get you results and be able to present a negative result of a test taken within two days of sailing???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, rj59 said:

Avoid the stress and buy the Abbott monitored tests, $150 for 6 tests, so no searching for a test, no worries about results or insurance, no stranger sticking a swab up your nose, and no contacts with possibly infected people in clinics or pre-boarding testing rooms. If you plan to eventually travel to Europe, it's also a perfect test for re-entry to the US, instead of searching for a test in a foreign country and risk missing a flight. It also gives a backup plan if a local testing falls through, so it avoids that stress, or the stress and cost of using port testing as a backup. Just make sure it's an Abbott Ag Card test, only available through emed.com or optum.com. 

This is what I am saying!

Bought 6 this morning since there may be a run on  them with updated protocols. 

Edited by Jadn13

3 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Here is a link from the Carnival forum  to view someone taking a home test

How reliable are these tests? For me, the worst thing that could happen is if I'm infected, pass the tests, get onboard, and infect others! 😒

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rj59 said:

Abbott monitored tests, $150 for 6 tests, so no searching for a test, no worries about results or insurance, ... perfect test for re-entry to the US ...

Keeping it simple!! And according to Google search each box comes with 2 tests. So 6 boxes = 12 tests = $12.50 each. No idea about shelf time. Not terribly temperature sensitive (35°-86°F / 1.6°-30°C). If we still need it next year, perhaps a Roll Call could go together to buy the 12 tests. KISS

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

I received the notice early this morning regarding my October 30 Majestic Princess cruise out of Los Angeles.  Figured, based on the notice, that I might as well check into "Quest Diagnostics"...

First thing I found out is that the closest testing centers they have to my home or to the Port of Los Angeles are either in Palmdale or Corona.  Anyone who knows the LA area will find this laughable.  For me, it would take a 90 mile round trip just to get tested.  They've got nothing anywhere close to the port, to LAX or to where 90% of the population actually lives...

Then, when you hit the end of the registration process, you can click on an ominous link and get this notice:

Note: California and Oregon state laws require that lab results be held for 7 days before Quest can release them to MyQuest. This hold is in place so that your physician has the opportunity to discuss your lab test results with you prior to you receiving them in MyQuest. Additionally, some testing (such as HIV screenings) has additional delays in place so that your physician has the opportunity to discuss your results with you.

7 days???  That pretty much makes this thing completely worthless.  How do you wait 7 days after testing to get you results and be able to present a negative result of a test taken within two days of sailing???

I'm on the 9/25 Grand Princess Cabo and the 10/30 Majestic too.  I was able to sign up for Quest for 9/23 an didn't see that California resident notice anywhere.  In about a week I'll be able to schedule CVS for a Rapid test.  Going to have to drive 80 miles to do it but want to make sure I have a result for the crusie.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks. Would you know whether these tests are ONLY for Ontario residents and require proof of residency? The testing isn't available here in the Democratic People's Republic of Quebec, but we have  many SDMs just over the border in Ontario within a 30 minute drive.

I cannot speak with unquestioned authority, but cannot imagine why it would matter where you get the test versus your residence.  Never read a thing where anyone checks that - just the particulars of type of test, when taken, that it was supervised, and results, etc.  

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I cannot speak with unquestioned authority, but cannot imagine why it would matter where you get the test versus your residence.  Never read a thing where anyone checks that - just the particulars of type of test, when taken, that it was supervised, and results, etc.  

That's probably the case, given that the tests come at a cost. If these were free, I could see them requiring Ontario residency. In any case, we'll contacting a few of the Ontario SDM outlets near us to check up on availability.

55 minutes ago, Westsail32 said:

I'm on the 9/25 Grand Princess Cabo and the 10/30 Majestic too.  I was able to sign up for Quest for 9/23 an didn't see that California resident notice anywhere.  In about a week I'll be able to schedule CVS for a Rapid test.  Going to have to drive 80 miles to do it but want to make sure I have a result for the crusie.  

We are also on the 9/25 Grand sailing and will be making an appointment for a test at CVS as soon as they open up those dates for booking.  The nearby ones state the results may not be back in time so, we have to do a little drive out of town to get tested with the rapid antigen test.  I’m counting on having my DH take me out to lunch while we are out and about anyway.  There’s my silver lining!  
As a plan B, we can always make an appointment with our local airport for a fee and take a rapid PCR test the day before we plan to fly.  And that Binax Now option also sounds feasible.  The one thing I wouldn’t want to do is wait until I get to the port as we are flying in.  I’d rather I be at home (or within driving distance) if I were unknowingly infected.  I sure wouldn’t want to infect others on my way to get back home!  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We are also on the 9/25 Grand sailing and will be making an appointment for a test at CVS as soon as they open up those dates for booking.  The nearby ones state the results may not be back in time so, we have to do a little drive out of town to get tested with the rapid antigen test.  I’m counting on having my DH take me out to lunch while we are out and about anyway.  There’s my silver lining!  
As a plan B, we can always make an appointment with our local airport for a fee and take a rapid PCR test the day before we plan to fly.  And that Binax Now option also sounds feasible.  The one thing I wouldn’t want to do is wait until I get to the port as we are flying in.  I’d rather I be at home (or within driving distance) if I were unknowingly infected.  I sure wouldn’t want to infect others on my way to get back home!  

Yes but if you are flying in the day before the cruise you may not have results before you fly.  I am hoping that they have testing at the pier as we are leaving 2 days before out next cruise and our health provider has told us results will take 2-3 days

I made an appointment to have a rapid test at CVS three days before my cruise last week on the Majestic. I received a phone call within an hour and a text with a link to a printable page within two hours. If I book another cruise while this requirement is in place, I will try to get another rapid test.

We are having out-of-state friends visit us this weekend. I decided to get another test just to make sure I had not picked up the virus last week on the ship or on the flight home. That was a nucleic acid amplification test. The results came back in about 39 hours. I would have been sweating waiting for the results if I had a flight to catch for a cruise.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hughesthedaddy said:

Just wish we knew what the plan was here in the UK from October onwards. We have a Europe cruise from Southampton and don't know yet what the protocol is in place or if our cruise will be cancelled. 

This is only for US sailings - the current arrangement of testing at the terminal prior to embarkation has not changed.

25 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I made an appointment to have a rapid test at CVS three days before my cruise last week on the Majestic. I received a phone call within an hour and a text with a link to a printable page within two hours. If I book another cruise while this requirement is in place, I will try to get another rapid test.

We are having out-of-state friends visit us this weekend. I decided to get another test just to make sure I had not picked up the virus last week on the ship or on the flight home. That was a nucleic acid amplification test. The results came back in about 39 hours. I would have been sweating waiting for the results if I had a flight to catch for a cruise.

And for most of us who fly in 1-2 days before cruises either to visit friends or just check out a city we like it will be a real issue if it takes more than a few hours since we will probably have to find a test in the embarkation city or rely on whatever partner Princess finds to do testing at the pier

Regarding self test, it must be medically supervised:

CruiseHealth™ FAQ: Sailings from the United States

Updated September 2, 2021

"Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test."

Regarding the 3 days vs 2 days:

"Yes, on voyages sailing through September 12, 2021, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 3 days of their embarkation.

On voyages sailing September 19, 2021 and after, in accordance with CDC directives, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 2 days of their embarkation. If sailing on Sunday, the test may be taken on Friday and Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed on board."

CVS tests are being canceled at the last minute, if they're available. The only safe option for all cruisers is ordering Abbott online tests through emed.com, which is $25 per test, and now are supposed to have a one-year shelf life, so they can cover multiple cruises or you can use them for re-entry to the US after international travel. Royal just announced they'll be offering them through their site for the new 2-day window, for a cost. You can do the test at any time and any place there's an internet connection, you just have to sign in to their app and wait for a proctor to monitor your test using a webcam. The Abbott emed test is the only one that all cruise lines accept. If you want to get tested at the terminal, if Princess gets it set up, you'll be paying more money and sitting in a room with other people waiting an hour or more while people who showed up with test results are on board. 

Edited by rj59
correcting word mistake
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Most people I talk to are glad we have the CDC to make us a healthier country. How can you come off saying something without any proof. I am glad we have all the watchdogs caring about our health and safety. 

I have decreasing confidence in the CDC.  I have been pressing them for over a year to explain the science behind their ever-changing decisions and they cannot.  The language that I keep getting in their replies are that there "may" be a higher risk or "we believe" such-and-such activity "may" pose a risk.  

My current question to the CDC regards the morbidity rate should a vaccinated person spread Covid to another vaccinated person.  

These questions need to be asked and not just blindly accept their ever-changing recommendations.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, shipsealand said:

Regarding self test, it must be medically supervised:

CruiseHealth™ FAQ: Sailings from the United States

Updated September 2, 2021

"Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test."

The above options/information  shared about binaxnow covid-19 ag card home test  are  medically supervised

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

Keeping it simple!! And according to Google search each box comes with 2 tests. So 6 boxes = 12 tests = $12.50 each. No idea about shelf time. Not terribly temperature sensitive (35°-86°F / 1.6°-30°C). If we still need it next year, perhaps a Roll Call could go together to buy the 12 tests. KISS

It's actually six tests, not six boxes 🙂

Another option is In-Home Rapid Antigen Testing (azova.com), which is also made specifically for travel and is visually monitored like the Abbott Binax. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Are you saying not all Quest Diagnostics  give the tests?    There are two Quest that I know of, one in Burbank and the other one I use here in Valencia.    Seems they have other locations in and around the valley.

31 minutes ago, waltd said:

Are you saying not all Quest Diagnostics  give the tests?    There are two Quest that I know of, one in Burbank and the other one I use here in Valencia.    Seems they have other locations in and around the valley.

Follow the link on Princess.com under Health Protocols.  It does list specific Quest locations, not all locations.

46 minutes ago, waltd said:

We have 2 locations here in the Palm Desert area and either one know anything about an agreement with Princess nor can they guarantee test results in less than 72 hours.

1 hour ago, waltd said:

I did mock bookings this morning after clicking the link Princess sent me in my email for my upcoming sail. For a point if reference I live in Modesto Ca.

1. The map on the link showed sites that actually do not test so just looking at the map was misleading (in particular it shows Mountain View Ca and this did not come up as possible test site in the booking process) 

2. I picked 5 other sites Suisen, Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield and Corona.  The closest to me is Sacramento at well over an hour away.  Corona is the closest site to San Pedro pier which is 50 miles and in LA traffic lord knows how long it takes. The others I thought I might stop at on the drive down to port and get a rapid antigen test.  

3. None of the sites offered the rapid antigen test.  I’m driving down to LA for the cruise Tuesday so that means I’d have to spend pretty much all day Monday getting to Sacramento for the test. Not going to happen. 

4. Thus is Sept 3rd.  All sites let me book as far out as Oct 8th so that part is good. 

I emailed my PVP to let him know that Quest is not the answer for this issue. I can pay $129 for a rapid (1 hour) antigen test at Covid Clinic a couple of miles from my house. There’s also one within 5 or so miles of San Pedro port. You can make reservations now for any day, any time. 

I asked him to get me OBC to cover the cost. He said he try. 

• Like 1

I find it a bit funny that the Quest labs are so limited on the map.   There is a Quest lab within a few steps of the Princess Headquarters  in Valencia.   Talk about making things difficult.   I'm glad my cruise was canceled and the next one isn't till next March.   Maybe they will have things sorted out by then.  Maybe......

• Like 2