FOOD: Windstar vs. Oceania

LB_NJ

We have been on Oceania, Princess, Cunard, and Royal Caribbean.  We generally prefer Oceania (we really like smaller ships, good service, and good food, although if we ever did a TA we would probably only do that on the QM2).

I keep looking at Windstar because they are smaller ships and the itineraries in the Caribbean look interesting.  We are not big drinkers so free alcohol is not that big a thing.

How is the food on Windstar compared to Oceania?  I am assuming that the service is good, please correct me if I am wrong.

The only thing we really know about Windstar is that their parent company, Xanterra, runs a lot of the hotels in US national parks.

I know you meant to ask a more general question about food itself, but I want to note that Windstar dinner is bit later and slower than we would like to have. The meal choices are sometimes a bit bland or pedestrian, but the ingredients and preparation are always restaurant-quality. Sometimes we speed up the meal by declining appetizers or dessert, which is a healthy choice for us anyway.

I don't have the background to know if this is the case all over cruising (10 Windstar trips), but some dining guests on Windstar always demand a private deuce (which is always possible and permitted.) Some groups of two or three couples always sit together. We usually offer to share a table when we check in with the Maitre d'. But we have been disappointed, often, to be seated repeatedly with the SAME [dull] couple, or to be put at a table of six or more, which is much less of our socialization objective-and adds a minimum of 45 minutes to the meal. I suppose we should demand to be put at a 4-top if we share!

1 hour ago, CruiseOrLand said:

But we have been disappointed, often, to be seated repeatedly with the SAME [dull] couple

While I'm sure it wasn't your intent, this portion of your comment makes you sound like someone I probably wouldn't want to share a table with. I'd hate to think I'm being judged on whether I'm an interesting or dull dinner companion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruiseOrLand said:

But we have been disappointed, often, to be seated repeatedly with the SAME [dull] couple,

I'm thinking we may have been one of the dull couples you describe.

Maybe discover a few couples that are like-minded and invite them to dine?

• Haha 2

One of my favorite things about Windstar is the shared table experience at dinner. We met so many interesting and well traveled people. We were fortunate to be seated with people from all over the USA as well as people from other countries. 

• Thanks 1

Oceania has sushi every night at the Terrace, Windstar does not. That does it for me.

I am one who does not like to eat dinner after 7:30. I prefer to be able to eat when I want to, when I am hungry. I get very grumpy if I am not fed on schedule😛

It may not be possible to tell the difference in a text-exchange that is "without affect." But there is a difference between making an observation and being a bully. I personally have tried to adopt public advice like listening more and talking less at cocktail parties.

Since the persons were not identified, I think my statement could be regarded as a generalized warning about one possible outcome of putting yourself in the Maitre d's hands.

We have almost always enjoyed meeting new people at dinner by sharing a table. I do understand what "CruiseOrLand is saying however. We had a very (now funny) experience on our last cruise. Shared a table with 2 other couples we did not know. One couple was from New Zealand and started the conversation with, "well what do you Yanks think of your president?" We said we did not approve of him but little else. The other couple had a totally opposite opinion from us and were very outspoken about it. Though I said we obviously would not agree and should change the subject, the wife couldn't let it go and the New Zealander enjoyed stirring the pot. Needless to say, it was not a relaxing meal and we did not linger over drinks or desert. 

I'm a bit of a political person but not with someone I don't know. In response to a pesty person who asks while dining on a cruise, I tell them I'm not interested in politics and make adjustments to whatever choice a country makes. Then redirect the conversation.

It's astonishing that there are so many who enjoy stirring the pot on a cruise. You were in an unwinnable situation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Both are very good for both food and service. Windstar probably pip the post for service as their pax numbers are lower.  On the other hand with larger pax numbers Oceania can do more specialty restaurants, and slightly wider menu choice. Oceania grill and Italian are best at sea.

Windstar deck bbq is best outdoor buffet extravaganza at sea by a mile.

As Aussies we offer to share and meet people from all over the world who we are most interested in talking with, and they espescially with us from down under, especially as most have Aus on their "bucket list" but Aus is a long way from the US or Europe; whereas everywhere except NZ is a long way for us !!!

Edited by kuldalai

On WS now, and the food has been mostly fine. Some service issues particularly in veranda, but this has always been true. I do feel like food costs have taken their toll. Especially that the beef served seems to have gone down a grade or two. Tough, full of gristle and lacking “beefy” flavor. But it’s easy to just avoid it. The beef in candles is still fine. Other things, especially the soups have been the best ever. No lobster at the BBQ. 

Edited by milepig

We're you on the Star Legend cruise that ended in Barcelona last week? One of the cruisers on that made almost exactly the same comment. We must have had better luck because the beef we had was lovely. 

The lamb chops in Cuadro 44 were really good. We enjoyed a lot of the dishes in this new restaurant.

What I noticed on the minus side was less variety at the Veranda buffet. For example lunch always had a carving station and a cook to order station but there weren't as many dishes to choose from as before - generally 4 sides one of which could serve as a vegetarian main. Also, there used to always be a hot dessert (e.g. bread pudding or cobbler) and they didn't have that. This might be due to lower passenger numbers or serving constraints. The two segments we were on had slightly under 150 and slightly over 100 passengers. Because of COVID, there is no self-service at the buffet. Crew members serve everything.

The deck BBQ also had less variety but still very nice.

I think it's very likely that the purveyors supplying Windstar just don't have as much to offer right now. The US has some food shortages but, from what I understand,  Europe and the Caribbean more so. As long as the quality is good and the service great, then give them time for "normal". I'm not sure what that even means anymore.

On 10/11/2021 at 11:44 AM, Cometman said:

We have cruised both lines, granted only once on Oceania- but that was enough for us. The difference was in the service.

Oceania can not compare to the service quality of Windstar.

I travel with both cruise lines.  Windstar has superb service and food.  They fall short on entertainment.  Windstar is ideal for quiet relaxation.

Windstar is more expensive. They charge extra for many things that Oceania includes.

Oceania has excellent service and fabulous food.  We love the various dining venues. They offer more variety,  Oceania also includes free wifi and now free covid testing when needed.  Oceania has good service. 

We travel on both lines.  Our next cruise is Oceania.

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I travel with both cruise lines.  Windstar has superb service and food.  They fall short on entertainment.  Windstar is ideal for quiet relaxation.

Windstar is more expensive. They charge extra for many things that Oceania includes.

Oceania has excellent service and fabulous food.  We love the various dining venues. They offer more variety,  Oceania also includes free wifi and now free covid testing when needed.  Oceania has good service. 

We've cruised both, although admittedly only once (so far) with Oceania. I didn't notice that Windstar charged for things that were included with Oceania. That's so interesting. Could you give some examples?

On 11/18/2021 at 7:57 PM, Redtravel said:

If you are interested in quiet relaxation, Do note that WS is now piping music through the entire ship 24x7. So much for just sitting and  watching the waves. We persuaded them to turn it off in Yacht Club at least, but we were told that the new music policy came from corporate. It’s going on our evaluation. 

3 hours ago, milepig said:

If you are interested in quiet relaxation, Do note that WS is now piping music through the entire ship 24x7. So much for just sitting and  watching the waves. We persuaded them to turn it off in Yacht Club at least, but we were told that the new music policy came from corporate. It’s going on our evaluation. 

Just thinking about piped-in music gives me a headache.  Please, Windstar...NO.

• Like 2