Hypothetical Question--Vaccine

CharmCity2000

Kids and I are leaving for a 7 day on Dec 26.  One kid is 14 and one is 11.  We have already received our exemption for the 11 yr old, so we're going.  But with the FDA meeting on Oct 26 to discuss Pfizer, I'm wondering what happens if my 11 gets vaccinated?  It took about 3 weeks for the FDA to approve the Pfizer EUA for 12-16.  So if I use that timeline as an estimate, EUA would come out around 11/17.  2 shots, 2 weeks apart + 2 weeks = Dec 29 which is in the middle of our cruise.

My question is do you think the cruise line will let us get out of the bubble tours if we hit the post vaccine 2 weeks in the middle of the cruise?  Yes, I know this is all hypothetical and no one really knows what will happen either with the EUA date or what the cruise line would do.  Just looking for speculation.

The 2 shots should be at least 3 or more weeks apart, and then you  need 15 days after the 2nd shot.

I know of a pax who was denied boarding who was 14 days after 2nd shot.

Too tight by xmas cruise imo.

I'm hoping to get a booster but I got moderna who isnt approved yet. No cruiseline can say for sure if the 14 day rule applies to boosters. I'd have to get it on a separate vaccine card to be safe. (I board oct 25 is the one I'm talking about)

Crazy times. 

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The 2 shots should be at least 3 or more weeks apart, and then you  need 15 days after the 2nd shot.

I'm hoping to get a booster but I got moderna who isnt approved yet. No cruiseline can say for sure if the 14 day rule applies to boosters. I'd have to get it on a separate vaccine card to be safe. (I board oct 25 is the one I'm talking about)

Crazy times. 

You're right.  It is 3 weeks.  Okay, so now my hope is that the EUA comes out before the middle of Nov, otherwise bubble tours for us.

Do you have to have the booster to board?  Or is it something that you'd like to get?

Edited by CharmCity2000

31 minutes ago, CharmCity2000 said:

You're right.  It is 3 weeks.  Okay, so now my hope is that the EUA comes out before the middle of Nov, otherwise bubble tours for us.

Do you have to have the booster to board?  Or is it something that you'd like to get?

It's something I want. I wanted the vaccine just as much as was the first day last january when fair park in dallas opened to the public, probably because my parents are so old, but I'm already at the 8 month date they say it's a good idea. 

I will feel safer in cruises and around my very elderly parents. 

Cruiselines have no policies yet about boosters, so they cant say any rules. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

......Cruiselines have no policies yet about boosters, so they cant say any rules. 

Oceania recently sent a Covid related update to passengers on most (if not all) cruises scheduled through the end of 2021. Among its many policy clarifying statements was a reminder that a significant number of countries are now requiring that vaccination must have occurred within 270 days prior to your cruise. I assume that, like passport dates, they’re using the end date of the trip as the deadline. 

3 hours ago, CharmCity2000 said:

Kids and I are leaving for a 7 day on Dec 26.  One kid is 14 and one is 11.  We have already received our exemption for the 11 yr old, so we're going.  But with the FDA meeting on Oct 26 to discuss Pfizer, I'm wondering what happens if my 11 gets vaccinated?  It took about 3 weeks for the FDA to approve the Pfizer EUA for 12-16.  So if I use that timeline as an estimate, EUA would come out around 11/17.  2 shots, 2 weeks apart + 2 weeks = Dec 29 which is in the middle of our cruise.

My question is do you think the cruise line will let us get out of the bubble tours if we hit the post vaccine 2 weeks in the middle of the cruise?  Yes, I know this is all hypothetical and no one really knows what will happen either with the EUA date or what the cruise line would do.  Just looking for speculation.

Depends on the cruise line. I've read that at least one cruise line is setting the mark for just turned 12 year olds as 5 weeks after they turn 12 they must be fully immunized.

47 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Among its many policy clarifying statements was a reminder that a significant number of countries are now requiring that vaccination must have occurred within 270 days prior to your cruise. 

I'm missing something here.   Those folks who received the vaccine earlier this year will not be permitted to book a cruise on Oceania  in 2022?

This could be trickier than you think. Let me explain. 

I have an 11 year old son who turns 12 a few days prior to Thanksgiving. So by then, he wIll be old enough to be vaccinated, but not enough time will have gone by for both doses to be administered plus 14 days after the second shot. 

I checked with two different cruise lines (Celebrity and Royal) and both specify that for children in my son’s scenario, the cruise line will not make any exceptions and he won’t be allowed to sail that close to him becoming eligible to be vaccinated. The only choice that the cruise line would give us would be to move the sailing to a future date. 

Why am I bringing this up? Because if the vaccination for your 11 year old is approved in mid to late November as you expect, you may find yourself with a child who is old enough to be vaccinated, but who may not have enough time to complete both vaccines plus the extra 14 days before your cruise. , 

If your cruise line chooses to continue not making an exception as they are doing now, you may find yourself out of options and having to reschedule your cruise altogether. Hopefully that won’t be the case, but I wanted to make you aware of this possible scenario. I was going to book a cruise for Thanksgiving week and decided against it after reading the fine print and realizing what could happen. 

10BFE3B8-A21E-49FA-9415-EE9BA2B75AB3.jpeg

8E9E7530-AEF3-4800-A109-5B5FC2324EA1.jpeg

Edited by Tapi

3 hours ago, CharmCity2000 said:

Nobody is even discussing requiring booster shots. It's a recommendation from CDC. Not having a booster will absolutely not affect your ability to go on a cruise. 

54 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm missing something here.   Those folks who received the vaccine earlier this year will not be permitted to book a cruise on Oceania  in 2022?

Perhaps I wasn’t clear.The doc has a reminder that some countries (not Oceania [yet]) have a 270 day “expiration” for certification of vaccination.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-09/Travel-and-Entry-Requirements-28-September-Update.pdf?fbclid=IwAR07AWgbpxLltec8LkAJFkAkLOgGfMMBGYlyay1fPb4jBG148TrRUEKNlII

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Depends on the cruise line. I've read that at least one cruise line is setting the mark for just turned 12 year olds as 5 weeks after they turn 12 they must be fully immunized.

And there are other cruise lines that are doing the right thing and requiring 100% vaccination with no exceptions, MD notes, whatever. It may mean lost revenue for the company. But, they should be commended for doing the only “right thing.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Nobody is even discussing requiring booster shots. It's a recommendation from CDC. Not having a booster will absolutely not affect your ability to go on a cruise. 

Perhaps not here in the US yet, but if the following post is credible, then there’s another wrinkle. 

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oceania recently sent a Covid related update to passengers on most (if not all) cruises scheduled through the end of 2021. Among its many policy clarifying statements was a reminder that a significant number of countries are now requiring that vaccination must have occurred within 270 days prior to your cruise. I assume that, like passport dates, they’re using the end date of the trip as the deadline. 

1 minute ago, CPT Trips said:

Perhaps not here in the US yet, but if the following post is credible, then there’s another wrinkle. 

Again, this is not an O requirement (yet). 
Of course, having received our original two Moderna doses in Feb./Mar. 2021), we’ll be getting Moderna boosters as soon as they are approved -hopefully prior to our January 2022 restart cruise.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps I wasn’t clear.The doc has a reminder that some countries (not Oceania [yet]) have a 270 day “expiration” for certification of vaccination.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-09/Travel-and-Entry-Requirements-28-September-Update.pdf?fbclid=IwAR07AWgbpxLltec8LkAJFkAkLOgGfMMBGYlyay1fPb4jBG148TrRUEKNlII

No, I understood that part.   Im not sure what conclusion we are supposed to make about booking a January cruise on Oceania.    I guess they could avoid those countries.  Or perhaps they will follow a 9 month vaccine expiration rule.  Seems they just left it hanging.   

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Again, this is not an O requirement (yet). 
Of course, having received our original two Moderna doses in Feb./Mar. 2021), we’ll be getting Moderna boosters as soon as they are approved -hopefully prior to our January 2022 restart cruise.

Same here.  I will get a Moderna booster as soon as it is available to me.   Counting days, I think I would be eligible in early November, but that of course depends on approval to move forward.   

6 hours ago, Tapi said:

This could be trickier than you think. Let me explain. 

I have an 11 year old son who turns 12 a few days prior to Thanksgiving. So by then, he wIll be old enough to be vaccinated, but not enough time will have gone by for both doses to be administered plus 14 days after the second shot. 

I checked with two different cruise lines (Celebrity and Royal) and both specify that for children in my son’s scenario, the cruise line will not make any exceptions and he won’t be allowed to sail that close to him becoming eligible to be vaccinated. The only choice that the cruise line would give us would be to move the sailing to a future date. 

Why am I bringing this up? Because if the vaccination for your 11 year old is approved in mid to late November as you expect, you may find yourself with a child who is old enough to be vaccinated, but who may not have enough time to complete both vaccines plus the extra 14 days before your cruise. , 

If your cruise line chooses to continue not making an exception as they are doing now, you may find yourself out of options and having to reschedule your cruise altogether. Hopefully that won’t be the case, but I wanted to make you aware of this possible scenario. I was going to book a cruise for Thanksgiving week and decided against it after reading the fine print and realizing what could happen. 

10BFE3B8-A21E-49FA-9415-EE9BA2B75AB3.jpeg

8E9E7530-AEF3-4800-A109-5B5FC2324EA1.jpeg

OMG!  I didn't even think to look at that as a scenario.  That truly sucks.  I'm glad that you brought it to my attention though.  I hate all the uncertainty around travel these days.  Thank you for sharing.

3 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I think you might be over anticipating the booster requirement. If a cruise line starts requiring booster shots before they are widely available, it will be turning away lots of cruisers. 

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Crazy times. 

We also had Moderna. And maybe a week or 2 ago, I was at our local Walgreens and asked about the booster . I menyioned we had had Moderna and was told they only had Pfizer at the location and they could not mix. Today, I was there to pick up a perscription for DW and there was a poster giving what the requirements were. We qualified except we had had Moderna. He said we could get the Pfizer. When I said i was told the opposite recently at the same location, his response was "things change".

I'm not sure he was correct; I am only reporting what he said.

31 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We also had Moderna. And maybe a week or 2 ago, I was at our local Walgreens and asked about the booster . I menyioned we had had Moderna and was told they only had Pfizer at the location and they could not mix. Today, I was there to pick up a perscription for DW and there was a poster giving what the requirements were. We qualified except we had had Moderna. He said we could get the Pfizer. When I said i was told the opposite recently at the same location, his response was "things change".

I’m betting who you talked to was not the pharmacist but rather a pharmacist “assistant” or plain old clerk. 

45 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think we both could get pfeizer booster but I dont want to take the chance carnival will be confused later on, so I'll wait. It should be approved in a few weeks I've heard. I can wait a few weeks.

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I’m betting who you talked to was not the pharmacist but rather a pharmacist “assistant” or plain old clerk. 

If you noticed, I did say that was what he told me, but I do not vouch for its truth. I was very careful to write that since I do not know for sure if it is factual or not.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:33 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Today I spoke to a pharmacist at another drug store (well actually the pharmacy at a grocery store), and he said the opposite that we would have to wait for the Moderna booster approval. Again I do not vouch for the information either way, only for what I have been told. 

On 10/3/2021 at 7:12 PM, CruiserBruce said:

I think you might be over anticipating the booster requirement. If a cruise line starts requiring booster shots before they are widely available, it will be turning away lots of cruisers. 

If COVID persists for years, requiring booster shots  will make as much sense as initial immunization does now.   It may be a mistake to assume that COVID is a temporary aberration.

On 10/3/2021 at 7:12 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Vaccines are widely available. At present there is no supply problem with getting vaccinated. And, there are plenty of providers. It’s not like it was when the vaccine first became available and we had to wait to get appointments. Neither I, nor any of my friends and neighbors that wanted one had difficulty making appointments and getting a third dose.