What will HAL's Covid vaccine policy be in 2022

Lizofwisconsin

I'm guessing none of you know what HAL's Covid vaccine policy will be in 2022.  I am so frustrated that I have a cruise booked for Jan 2, 2022, and am supposed to make a final payment today, and HAL has not yet decided what vaccination policy will be for that cruise.  I've talked to HAL reservations, and HAL guest relations, neither has any info and no idea when this decision will be made.  I only want to be on a ship where everyone over 12 yo is vaccinated.  Now I guess I have to wait and see how long I can wait before making the final payment.  I so much want to look forward to this cruise, but maybe it's not meant to be!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I do think in today’s circumstances if they have a 90 day final payment window they should have a 90 day Covid protocols window.

Completely agree with you Kirk.

If I were to guess (which is what I am doing), I suspect requirements will be similar in January as now unless vaccination increases dramatically and cases subside consdierably.

• Like 4

My guess is that they will not be any more constrictive than it is now. Their  current procedures appear to be working quite effectively in controlling/limiting on-board break-outs - at lest to manageable levels. If you can live with those procedures, I would go with your cruise.

I also have cruises in December, January, and March. Since I can live with the current policies - and feel comfortable with them. I am somewhat concerned about the foreign port calls on those cruises...but we shall see.

I would feel less comfortable if they (HAL) starts to permit unvaccinated people on-board - in which case we might well cancel (Like I did previously when RCL announced opening up one of our cruises). 

I am not expecting them to significantly change through early next year.  The one thing HAL (or any cruise line for that matter) really, really do not want to happen is a major breakout - again. 

• Like 5

Reality is that however much we tighten safety on cruise ships, covid is out of control land-side. Cruise ships don't operate in a bubble!

This winter is likely to be the same as last year. On the other hand, a lot of people have been vax. Unfortunately, it looks like a booster shot is needed...

https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-223000604.html

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Do you know what t the circumstances are going to be? Probably not. Not sure how HAL would be expected to know what the situation will require in 2022.

Obviously they can't be expected to know the future situation, but it is completely within their remit to make a policy decision and set a minimum health standard and keep to that minimum health standard or improve upon it.

• Like 1

Some lines have gone to a 60-day payment window in these times....  Might be reasonable to say that 60-day window is normal (for now) and that AT LEAST by that point there should be clarity regarding what the requirements are wrt vaccination status. 

Also I think we have to cruise for the time being with the understanding that things can and do change including testing requirements, ability to tour independently and even port calls that may be changed at a moment's notice.

On the brighter side, I saw several news stories yesterday indicating COVID cases were down by about a third in the US since September 1, and that we are approaching a place -- counting both vaccination efforts and natural immunity -- where we perhaps may not see such a dangerous surge again. 

"May" being the key word....

• Like 4

We've also been waiting in suspense to see if HAL's vaccine policy is going to stay or go for 2022.   

After reading the most recent mass mask rant thread, I'm thinking we made the right decision to cancel our January 2022 cruise.  All that hysteria at sea sounds like anything but a vacation to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Obviously they can't be expected to know the future situation, but it is completely within their remit to make a policy decision and set a minimum health standard and keep to that minimum health standard or improve upon it.

Agree. But the OP wants to know exactly what decisions will be made at least 90 days in advance. Yes, in "normal" business days, thats not difficult. Anybody seen a "normal" business situation the last 18 or so months? Heck, a new variant could slam the world, totally blow through vaccines, and completely shut down the world in December. And people would blame cruise lines for not accurately predicting the different possible future situations. 

I also agree we probably will still be in a situation where fully vaccinated pax load is likely. But I certainly can't predict when that requirement might ease. Nor can HAL.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

But the OP wants to know exactly what decisions will be made at least 90 days in advance.

I just want to know before I pay, so I’d be OK If they said OK not to make final payment till they decide. They did not say that. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lizofwisconsin said:

I just want to know before I pay, so I’d be OK If they said OK not to make final payment till they decide. They did not say that. 

My opinion is the vaccination requirement will hold through 2022 if not beyond.  I am wondering when fully vaccinated is going to include the booster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

My opinion is the vaccination requirement will hold through 2022 if not beyond.  I am wondering when fully vaccinated is going to include the booster.

I agree vaccination will be a requirement for  quite awhile. As one who had the Moderna hopes the inclusion of a booster does not happen  until Moderna and J & J are approved for boosters by the powers that be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lizofwisconsin said:

I totally feel for ya, and I hope you get some sort of answer from HAL, because all the opinions of people on this board aren't helping you one bit.

57 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

hope you get some sort of answer from HAL, because all the opinions of people on this board aren't helping you one bit.

Actually, I am finding it helpful to hear what everyone has to say, while waiting for HAL to make their decision. So, thanks everyone. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, iancal said:

Covid is a moving target that still has a way to go.   How can anyone make a prediction three months out?

you just said it....Covid has a way to go.  they should continue as is and let people know so that they can make a decision before they give thousands of $$$ for a cruise that they might not take. Many people booked their upcoming cruises BEFORE covid

• Like 1

Right now the CDC is driving the mandates and who knows what decisions they will make?  Politicians by nature are so risk averse that they will ordinarily err on the side of zero risk.

I've already made final payment on a January cruise and resigned to adapt to wherever the CDC and the cruise lines have moved the goal posts by then.  It's either that or stay home with the covers over my head.

Life has risks.  I reduce those risks by getting vaccinated, wearing a helmet when I ride a motorcycle, a PFD when I go rafting, and a seatbelt when I'm in a car.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

Carnival Cruise Lines just announced an extension of the Vaccine and Mask Mandates through 2/28/22.  I would think HAL will be doing the same! 

Thank you for the update.  It seems we made the right decision last month in cancelling our HAL Feb 16, 2022 cruise.  We are vaccinated, and mask here when required, but, do not want to mask while on vacation.  Our refund was processed in 10 days.

• Like 3

We're on board the Nieuw. Amsterdam right now.  I spent about 15 mins. talking with both Future Cruise Consultants onboard yesterday re this subject.  They said no one knows what the decisions for the future will be--it depends on what the CDC says they said, and it's a moving target constantly they said.  I said what re requiring 100% vax--they said it's what the passengers and crew seem to want, so hopefully . . . .  

Your real insurance is travel insurance with coverage in case you have to cancel--get cancel for any reason insur. if you want to be able to cancel for your own reasons and get a high percentage of your money back, tho this usually has to be purchased very quickly or at the same time as res. is booked.  If you don't want to be able to CFAR, then get good insur. that covers if HAL cancels.  

Also, we don't know what HAL will continue to do re Worry Free Promise that HAL has made ef. through 12/31/21. . . . .I guess we just shouldn't book far out--book closer to cruise time.  That's what we're doing.

2 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

I said what re requiring 100% vax--they said it's what the passengers and crew seem to want, so hopefully . . . .  

Well, is that such a shock?  The passengers onboard are 100% vaxxed. 

Unvaxxed aren't allowed to sail HAL, so nobody's asking them what they want.

Edited by mightycruisequeen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

We're on board the Nieuw. Amsterdam right now.  I spent about 15 mins. talking with both Future Cruise Consultants onboard yesterday re this subject.  They said no one knows what the decisions for the future will be--it depends on what the CDC says they said, and it's a moving target constantly they said.  I said what re requiring 100% vax--they said it's what the passengers and crew seem to want, so hopefully . . . .  

Your real insurance is travel insurance with coverage in case you have to cancel--get cancel for any reason insur. if you want to be able to cancel for your own reasons and get a high percentage of your money back, tho this usually has to be purchased very quickly or at the same time as res. is booked.  If you don't want to be able to CFAR, then get good insur. that covers if HAL cancels.  

Also, we don't know what HAL will continue to do re Worry Free Promise that HAL has made ef. through 12/31/21. . . . .I guess we just shouldn't book far out--book closer to cruise time.  That's what we're doing.

Not if you buy HAL's cancel for any reason.  You only need to buy it the day before final payment OR right away if you pick a non refundable fare.