Captain's Schedule

UnMe4ever2gether

1 minute ago, jalves said:

I'm curious.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but does the captain make a real difference for the cruise?  I mean, as long as they stay away from the thin spots?  

As long as its not Francesco Schettino i think your good.  

Some say it does, but I never noticed anything different.at all.  Some are seen much more but not an important factor in choosing a ship for me at all.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jalves said:

I'm curious.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but does the captain make a real difference for the cruise?  I mean, as long as they stay away from the thin spots?  

Unless it's Capt Kate.  She's kind of rock star with a major following.

• Like 5

I don't think I could name any of the captains from our numerous cruises. I really isn't an issue for me, as I assume that they are all competent. One I recall seeing in Café al Bacio fairly often - our morning coffee times seemed to coincide - and I would recognize him in a crowd, but probably not the others. Captain Kate would be an exception for recognition, but as much as I admire her, I wouldn't seek out a cruise just to have her at the helm.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I don't think I could name any of the captains from our numerous cruises. I really isn't an issue for me, as I assume that they are all competent. One I recall seeing in Café al Bacio fairly often - our morning coffee times seemed to coincide - and I would recognize him in a crowd, but probably not the others. Captain Kate would be an exception for recognition, but as much as I admire her, I wouldn't seek out a cruise just to have her at the helm.

I can name one, partially, Captain Johnny. He was the captain on the Allure of the Seas, on a Halloween cruise. The only reason I can remember is that he road his Harley motorcycle around during the Halloween festivities. One out of 47.

• Like 2

I always enjoyed Taso’s and his daily report..and the little story at the end…sailed twice with him…not enough..

Sailed with him as Captain August 1st…his Liars Club show was HIGHlarious 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NBliving said:

Didn't there used to be a topic that listed where all the officers were?

Yes unfortunately that long time thread was removed and the member running it was banned from Celebrity ships.  Long story.  

21 hours ago, Team Stag said:

Unless it's Capt Kate.  She's kind of rock star with a major following.

I was lucky enough to get a great deal on Edge last month...would not have missed it for the world...I was thrilled that Captain Kate (and Bug) were onboard, but would have taken the cruise regardless.

• Like 1

I prefer a captain whose English is relatively clear and who can be understood through the horrible Public Announcement systems, but otherwise, they are nothing but cab drivers to me.  And I have never had a captain get lost driving the boat [I know it's a ship] to the next  port of call.  And I cannot remember the name of the captain from any cruise I've taken.  I couldn't tell you the captain's name even during the cruise.

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I had Captain Alex on Summit.  He was very funny with his announcements which were memorable!

Alex is great.  So is his brother that is also a Captain on X. Captain  Leo is another great captain.   Honestly I can’t think of any bad Captains on X, they are all great.  

Now if you want to talk about Cruise Directors they may make a difference.    Don’t like the one with the initials S D.   I think a there is a shoulder replacement or operation that will be required from the constant self back patting.

Eddy  Jenkins is one of the best.  Introduces the show and is gone.   No corny jokes that we have heard numerous times.  He  doesn’t try to be a celebrity but his daytime shows are fantastic and the one about his life is a not to miss.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

On 10/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, jalves said:

(Cross-posted from another thread)

Actually, who's in charge can be of far more impact than you might imagine, but not necessarily in the manner you might think.

The demeanor of the captain, specifically with regard to his/her approach to crew matters and their welfare can change the entire tenor of a ship.  Not that we've ever had a bad X cruise with respect to service, but there have been certain ships at certain times where it was apparent that the crew felt more appreciated and were truly happy to be working for a particular captain. 

Granted, there are a few layers of management in between, but a caring captain's wishes are clearly communicated to those that report to him, and as the captain, has the discretion to directly support and encourage the crew in a myriad of ways to make their time aboard ship a better experience.

When the crew is really happy, it shows clearly on the customer-facing side of things, and the captain has a lot to do with that.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, miched said:

if you want to talk about Cruise Directors they may make a difference.    Don’t like the one with the initials S D.   I think a there is a shoulder replacement or operation that will be required from the constant self back patting.

I'm pretty sure my recent sailing on the Summit featured this S.D. you spoke of.  I didn't mind her.  She reminded me of some of the CDs I've had on Carnival, and I suppose that style can be off-putting to Celebrity fans.

Oh, and my first sailing on the Summit about 4 years ago was with Captain Kate.  She was a rock star even then.

17 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I prefer a captain whose English is relatively clear and who can be understood through the horrible Public Announcement systems, but otherwise, they are nothing but cab drivers to me.  And I have never had a captain get lost driving the boat [I know it's a ship] to the next  port of call.  And I cannot remember the name of the captain from any cruise I've taken.  I couldn't tell you the captain's name even during the cruise.

I think what you say is true for the vast majority of cruise passengers.  But I give the captains major credit here on CC at least for all of their technological know-how.