Princess Cruises Breakfast in the Dining Room

Trish123456789

Just our experience ...........

Laid-back, un-rushed and very un-crowded.

Table service, and order your own breakfast preferences.

No traditional dining (ie no set time or table or waiters), for all guests breakfast service is similar to "anytime" dinner service. (But do check breakfast hours)

Much slower than serve-yourself buffets - avoid if you want to go ashore with the herd, but for us an excellent way to start a day at sea (consequently busier on sea-days, but still not crowded)

We've found it's much the same on all cruise ships,lines that we've sailed.

JB 🙂

• Like 2

The hubs and I really enjoy eating breakfast in the dining room whenever we cruise.  It is much more relaxing than the business of the buffet area.  Plus, the food is freshly prepared for you.  Princess has a pretty good breakfast menu IMO too.  If you are in a hurry to get off the ship, you definitely will need to schedule a room service quick breakfast or grab something from the buffet though.  

If you are ever in a suite on Princess, you will get spoiled with their special suite breakfast.  It's so hard going back to a non-suite after that!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John Bull said:

Much slower than serve-yourself buffets - avoid if you want to go ashore with the herd, but for us an excellent way to start a day at sea (consequently busier on sea-days, but still not crowded)

I usually eat breakfast in the Main Dining Room once on each cruise.  It is too slow for me on a port day.  Nice breakfast, pretty much whatever you want.  But sometimes the timing of the "courses" is not too good.  Like I want my bagel to sop up the egg yolk but they deliver the eggs first without the bagel.  I know this is a first world problem!

• Haha 1

DR. Show up at the DR during breakfast hours. You will be seated. Waiter(s) will offer you coffee, tea, Danish, muffins, juice, and so on. Waiter will take your order. Order from the listed menu items or you can ask for off menu items. If they have the item(s) they most likely will prepare it for you. 

Buffet. Go through the buffet lines. Staff will place whatever you want on your plate. In the past there was an omelette station where you could order custom omelettes. Go to your table. Waiters will serve you beverages.

DR breakfast takes about an hour. Buffet breakfast takes as long as you want, can be quick if you want to get up and moving.

Another option is the International Cafe. Serves, continental breakfast items, an egg Mc Muffin type sandwich, and other items. Specialty coffees, tea, espresso drinks available at a small cost, or no charge if you have the plus fare. 

• Like 2

Our travel Buds and I love to start our day with breakfast in the dining room.

We are early risers.  I love being in the Atrium as the ship starts ‘waking up’.  So actually we start with a great, brewed cup of coffee from the International Cafe (and possibly a warm croissant 🙄) as we wait for the dining room to open.  

• Like 2

My wife and I often eat breakfast in the dining room.  She would much rather do that than the buffet any day.  I'm a big breakfast eater so I usually order a little more than the standard breakfast.  Here is where I've ever had a problem.  Order 3 eggs - get 2.  Order 3 pieces of toast - get 2.  I always have to take inventory when breakfast arrives and send the waiter back for what they forgot, if need be.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I usually eat breakfast in the Main Dining Room once on each cruise.  It is too slow for me on a port day.  Nice breakfast, pretty much whatever you want.  But sometimes the timing of the "courses" is not too good.  Like I want my bagel to sop up the egg yolk but they deliver the eggs first without the bagel.  I know this is a first world problem!

Your bagel problem reminds me of our first world problem. The MDR servers tend to bring our coffee after we finish dessert. We want the coffee with dessert, and it's been hard to get that done.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:38 AM, Trish123456789 said:

My husband and I have cruised twice now with Princess and only found out about this after our last cruise. I can't find any information about this so does anyone have details about how this is different to the Buffet? Any tips etc.

It is a waiter service at the table breakfast off their menu.  I think most people have a tea/coffee followed by cereal. Then someone turns up with pastries etc. Followed by the full cooked breakfast and toast.  Early on you can get a table for two or share a large table.  Cranberry juice is never on the menu but they can often get it so don't be afraid to ask for anything that you can't see listed.

It also runs on disembarkation day but usually earlier when people turn up with small hand luggage bags.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, isosika said:

My wife and I often eat breakfast in the dining room.  She would much rather do that than the buffet any day.  I'm a big breakfast eater so I usually order a little more than the standard breakfast.  Here is where I've ever had a problem.  Order 3 eggs - get 2.  Order 3 pieces of toast - get 2.  I always have to take inventory when breakfast arrives and send the waiter back for what they forgot, if need be.

I also enjoy DR breakfast.  My problem is that I order 1 egg and always get 2!
Maybe we should meet up and I can supply you with that 3rd egg! 😂

• Haha 2

We also avoid the buffet and will be enjoying being waited on in the dining room.  The one item that we can't forget to pack is a bottle of good hot sauce--then we leave it on the last morning for the servers to enjoy.  It is always a topic of conversation.  

I love how Princess will always try to fill a special request. For breakfast, I like smoked salmon, bagel, cream cheese, and a side of mushrooms. Almost always they produce it either in DR or buffet. 

One thing they never seem to get is garlic powder for ...... well, many things. Don't know why. But they always try. Love that.

One thing I did not know but only found out by sharing a breakfast table on Princess.  They have a Japanese Breakfast Menu. It is the same menu as the English Menu but in Japanese script.  This was discovered by me when sharing a table with four Japanese people, only one of whom spoke English.

Lol John

19 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Your bagel problem reminds me of our first world problem. The MDR servers tend to bring our coffee after we finish dessert. We want the coffee with dessert, and it's been hard to get that done.

I had to laugh when I saw this. This is always a cruise "problem" for DH. Even though he always asks for the coffee WITH or before dessert, the odds of making that happen seem low. It has become a running game on our cruises. When will the coffee show up?

😃

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Trish123456789 said:

I cannot believe I have missed out on breakfast in the dining room.  This will be at the top of my to do list once we get back on board.  Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

Nothing new. DR breakfast has been served since the Love Boat days and before.

Personally most days I pick up a bowl of cereal in the buffet and have it on the open deck, or a doughnut or pastry at the International Cafe. I don't like to spend too much time with breakfast, maybe head to the DR for breakfast once each voyage, usually on disembarkation day. After and hour or so walk a nice cup of cappuccino hits the spot. There are many popular options options for breakfast. One size does not fit everyone. 

On 10/21/2021 at 6:36 AM, skynight said:

DR. Show up at the DR during breakfast hours. You will be seated. Waiter(s) will offer you coffee, tea, Danish, muffins, juice, and so on. Waiter will take your order. Order from the listed menu items or you can ask for off menu items. If they have the item(s) they most likely will prepare it for you. 

Buffet. Go through the buffet lines. Staff will place whatever you want on your plate. In the past there was an omelette station where you could order custom omelettes. Go to your table. Waiters will serve you beverages.

DR breakfast takes about an hour. Buffet breakfast takes as long as you want, can be quick if you want to get up and moving.

Another option is the International Cafe. Serves, continental breakfast items, an egg Mc Muffin type sandwich, and other items. Specialty coffees, tea, espresso drinks available at a small cost, or no charge if you have the plus fare. 

This!

For the most part, the food in the DR is no fresher than in the buffet.

The main difference is how long everything takes.

If you relish spending a lot of time with your traveling companion and have enough to talk about for an hour, breakfast in the dining room can be a lovely experience. However, if you are in the slightest bit of a rush, the buffet is your best bet.

17 hours ago, generichandle said:

I love how Princess will always try to fill a special request. For breakfast, I like smoked salmon, bagel, cream cheese, and a side of mushrooms. Almost always they produce it either in DR or buffet. 

One thing they never seem to get is garlic powder for ...... well, many things. Don't know why. But they always try. Love that.

I always bring a shaker of garlic powder (from 99 Cent Only store) on a cruise, for the pizza slices.  I leave it at the pizza place on my last day.