The Daily for Wednesday October 20, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

At oncology.  Small nodule where prostate was.  No emergency but radiation recommended.

Roy

Pleased to hear no emergency Roy.

Pauline and I send you our prayers 🙏 and very best wishes for your treatment to be successful.

Sincerely.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a sunny but hazy Quartzsite.  Our bodies must still be on Texas time, not Arizona time (which is really California time) as we were on our way to Blythe by 9:30 a.m..  That's early for us.  Since I got everyting put away, between a couple of small chores, I've been catching up on the the Daily before posting.  Already four pages when I started, and probably five by now.

We were given a starter of brandied fruit as a wedding present.  After feeding it a couple of times, we just tossed it.  We really did not like it that much, and as college students didn't have the time to keep feeding it. Chefs and waiters deserve more that one day of celebration for all the hard work they do at low pay.   DH's niece and her DH own a popular restaurant in Rockport, TX.  He is the chef and she will wait tables in a pinch.  Their problem now is finding wait staff, but they are still open.  🥂👋

I like today's quote.

DH eats beets, but just looking at them turns me off, so we will skip the meal and the drink.

We have had the wine of the day and enjoyed it.  According to the Henkel website, only the Henkel Trocken comes in a split.  Their description says: "French cuvee craft meets German artisanal production: this dry, fully matured sparkling wine owes its elegant, international character to a unique premium cuvee of four excellent wines from selected grape varieties.  

Henkell Trocken fizzes with delicate, long-lasting bubbles for a glassful of glamour. Its finely arranged, harmonic composition makes for a well-rounded, fully developed taste experience."

We have not been to today's port. Thank you, @St Pete Cruiser, @StLouisCruisers. @Marmot@Sea, and @Overhead Fred for your pictures.

@kazu All the memes today hit home; however, the one about the dog sweater was great.  Our Nikki hated her sweater with a passion.  We could get it one her, but as soon as possible, she would get her front legs out of the "arms" and through the neck hole. Then she would have a "tube top" around her middle.  🤣

@Mr. Boston  Hope you got your tooth fixed.

@rafinmd  Sorry they found a nodule, but glad it is not an emergency situration.  Hope the radiation fixes it quickly.

@Seasick Sailor  The shower is looking good.  Hope the drywall installers showed up today.

@cat shepard Hope your check up at the dermatologist went well.

@smitty34877   Hoping Tana's tests did not show any unknown problems.

@aliaschief Thank you for the pictures of the Pinnacle Gala.

@Cruising-along  Welcome home.

@Heartgrove  So happy Sam is settling in.

@durangoscots  Safe travels.

@Divi Such great news that your health unit has reached 92% fully vaccinated.  👋

@Horizon chaser 1957  Laura, following the directions of others, I found you on Etsy, and noticed you had two sales.  Way to go!

@VMax1700  Welcome home.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

I asked this on another thread but I’ll ask here as I know some of our family here is on the new Rotterdam. Who is actually the captain of the Rotterdam? We are going to be on her in January and I’m in the process of creating some thing but don’t want it to have the wrong name.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I asked this on another thread but I’ll ask here as I know some of our family here is on the new Rotterdam. Who is actually the captain of the Rotterdam? We are going to be on her in January and I’m in the process of creating some thing but don’t want it to have the wrong name.

Alright... it's time to ask our best pal @Copper10-8 HELP John!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  We have a trifecta of great culinary days today.  I expect many of us have been to Grand Turk. I think cruising is an exception to the Woollcott quote.  I'll pass on the Beet Reuben.  My alternative is Fruit  Cup au Naturel, the turf from Surf and Turf, and Cherry Crumble Tart as served on MS Amsterdam October 20, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes20.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Colin Powell
RIP Montreal FF Pierre Lacroix
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
1Angelcat awaotomg biopsy
cunorl’s (lymphona) and DH’s (stroke) sisters
Covid in JAM37's family
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
LaPalma

Celebrations and Shoutouts

4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Cruising-along, Vict0riann, sailingdutchy/ Lady President/ AncientWanderer,  Sharon, lindaler, and lazey1  at sea
Bon Voyage   Gail&Marty and Rotterdam
Lady Hudson at Coco Cay (Oasis OTS)
Signs of spring in New Zealand
Quartzite Cruiser settled in Texas
Sharon at a women’s retreat
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanka for both losts.  I can take Turf but not Surf.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good Wednesday morning.  I dislike brandied fruit.  Chefs and Waiters are so important to those of us who enjoy going out to eat and of course on the BHB!!  I totally agree with the quote as I've gotten older.  Never heard of a Beet Reuben, will wait for Debbie's recipe.  Have not been to today's port, it's on our January cruise.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

B&B:

Ingredients

1-½ ounces Benedictine liqueur
1-½ ounces brandy

Instructions

Pre-warm the brandy snifter by pouring a little hot water in the glass. Swirl it around, then discard.
Pour the jigger of Benedictine into the warm brandy snifter.
Gently pour the brandy over the back of a bar spoon and let it fall on top of the Benedictine to 'float' it on the thicker liqueur.

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 7.12.03 AM.png

Have had it cold.  Did you ever hear of a Hot Port?

• Like 2

Good almost evening everyone. Busy day. Sam went to the ER at about 5pm last night because he felt his brain was foggy. After an array of scans and blood work, urine, CT of brain, chest xray and EKG and EEG

the verdict is he is fine. No stroke, no seizure, no anything. But have been waiting three hours to get discharged. Maybe they can charge for an extra day this way. Am exhausted.

Carol

• Like 6
  • Thanks 15

5 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good almost evening everyone. Busy day. Sam went to the ER at about 5pm last night because he felt his brain was foggy. After an array of scans and blood work, urine, CT of brain, chest xray and EKG and EEG

the verdict is he is fine. No stroke, no seizure, no anything. But have been waiting three hours to get discharged. Maybe they can charge for an extra day this way. Am exhausted.

Carol

Carol, praying you and Sam have a quiet, restful and uneventful night. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

I echo @cat shepard's comments.  You both could use a break.  Sleep well!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I have a feeling our prayers will be answered as far as the MDR goes.  Betcha that was mentioned in 99.9 percent of surveys at the end of cruises, because it fell so far below the excellence found everywhere else.   I do ask myself, though, if the food might taste a lot better if the beverage service was on task.  HAL is going to have to pencil out which is cheaper to serve in MDR -- more good food or more booze.  Gotta do one or the other. lol

6 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

That is good news Sam is fine.

Take care of yourself too Carol.

Sending you our prayers and best wishes.

Graham

• Like 8

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

I echo @cat shepard's comments.  You both could use a break.  Sleep well!

Thanks. Just want to mention we took a land vacation to Turks and Caicos one January many years ago. It was so cold that people were taking down the drapes in the dining room to wrap themselves up in.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

That is good news Sam is fine.

Take care of yourself too Carol.

Sending you our prayers and best wishes.

Graham

Thank you. The aide stayed with Sam all night in the hospital, more than making up for his sneaky behavior the other day.

• Like 17

Good evening. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. A friend of my Mother used to give me a jar of brandied fruit in my Christmas stocking and I felt very grown up! Chefs and waiters are both worthy of salutes.

Funny quote.

Hmmm on the meal. I'll pass on the drink and wine. I like Roy's meal better, though.

I haven't been to Grand Turk. Thanks for all the pictures.

Late again today. I had morning errands, then wanted to do yard work while the weather was so nice. Rain and storms tomorrow and dropping temps. Our Covid positivity rate is at 7%; not good, but better than what the local news erroneously reported at 9.7%!

@Mr. Boston Sorry to hear about the tooth.

@Seasick Sailor Thanks for the bathroom pics. I can't wait to see the final results.

@Cruising-along Welcome home!

@Horizon chaser 1957 Congrats on your Etsy shop!

@VMax1700 Welcome home.

@rafinmd Sorry to hear about the nodule. Hopefully radiation takes full care of it. Prayers.

@grapau27 You two are enjoying life! Thanks for sharing.

@mamaofami Sorry to hear about Sam's trip to the ER, but I'm glad all the tests were ok. You two get some rest.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask if needed.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, summer slope said:

The Captain now, may or may not be the Captain in January.  They used to do 3 month rotas, but we do not know when the current Captain's rota started.

We really need Capt Albert to update his site.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

At oncology.  Small nodule where prostate was.  No emergency but radiation recommended.

Roy

Sorry to hear that, but glad it is treatable and not an emergency.

• Like 8