The Daily for Wednesday October 20, 2021

richwmn

Welcome to the Fleet ms Rotterdam!

Today is Brandied Fruit Day, International Chefs Day, and National Waiters Day

"Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening. - Alexander Woollcott"

Meal suggestion for today - Beet Reuben

Drink of the Day - B & B

Wine of the day - Henkel Split - Germany - Sparkling

Destination of the Day - Grand Turk Turks and Caicos

Ships with Passengers

Amsterdam NL

Rotterdam depart 17:00

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam destination HMC 00:00 - 24:00

Mazatlan

Koningsdam Sinaloa, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 17:00

Zadar, Croatia

Eurodam 06:00 - 15:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific

Noordam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 10/30

Westerdam Destination Puerto Vallarta MX eta 10/23

Corfu GR

Volendam

Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay

Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX

Zuiderdam Anchorage

Rotterdam NL

Oosterdam

1020NAmerica.thumb.png.7702a6e84398ac4b4d003807f7f07468.png

1020Europe.thumb.png.60ac3522bd6d5bc48e744900f6ec8b0e.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

Great collection of days and I’ll happily celebrate Chefs & waiters.  I’ve been missing them over the last year +. But, the best thing about today for many is the maiden voyage of the Rotterdam.  Welcome to the newest BHB 🙂 

LOL on the quote by Woollcott - I resemble that remark 😉  Today’s meal sounds intriguing.  Never heard of a beet reuben before.  And the wine is appealing as well 😉 

Temperatures have really dropped.  I was like my meme yesterday driving to Costco.  Had the seat warmer on in the car and was still wearing my Birk’s.  LOL. It wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t so damp.  Sweater weather!

C064BCAB-14F1-42DE-AD76-B552989809B9.jpeg.ce2590ca9a732a6aa1e2af5f13f252d8.jpeg

With people struggling with CC and their computers/Ipads/mobile devices, it’s good to keep this in mind:

CC7C38A1-C532-4E7F-8AE4-7180C9FFEACD.thumb.jpeg.98945c557c2ea58d231874c7563c2a3b.jpeg

The wind and rain have brought down some of the trees’ leaves so I guess I better get psyched up and prepare myself for the inevitable whether it’s too cold or not 😔 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!!

6C0A5D2C-72CA-4F1F-9461-9E2D9903F722.thumb.jpeg.7fdb0bf9812b6eb6c63c163b9bf43d0a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 31
  • Haha 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Welcome ms Rotterdam.  🙂

Interesting days.  I'd like some brandied fruit, guess I'll make some.   I appreciate when chefs share their knowledge.  I think the greatest chef I ever knew was my grandmother, she could always be counted on to put a wonderful meal on the table.  She taught me a lot, wish she was still here to teach me more.

The quote is too true.

I've never heard of a beet reuben, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

The wine sounds good, hope the drink of the day is tasty too.

Another port I have not been to.  Thanks in advance for all the pictures that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone.

Happy Hump Day!    Stay safe.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  A nod to brandied fruit which I’ve never had.  Also to chefs and waiters who go hand in hand.  Funny quote today.  I really enjoy a beef reuben occasionally but beet?  I’ve been to today’s port but am hard pressed to locate any photos from there.  Broke a tooth last evening snacking on Smartfood so I’ll probably be visiting the dentist at some point today.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.

Edited by Mr. Boston
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  We have a trifecta of great culinary days today.  I expect many of us have been to Grand Turk. I think cruising is an exception to the Woollcott quote.  I'll pass on the Beet Reuben.  My alternative is Fruit  Cup au Naturel, the turf from Surf and Turf, and Cherry Crumble Tart as served on MS Amsterdam October 20, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes20.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Colin Powell
RIP Montreal FF Pierre Lacroix
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
1Angelcat awaotomg biopsy
cunorl’s (lymphona) and DH’s (stroke) sisters
Covid in JAM37's family
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
LaPalma

Celebrations and Shoutouts

4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Cruising-along, Vict0riann, sailingdutchy/ Lady President/ AncientWanderer,  Sharon, lindaler, and lazey1  at sea
Bon Voyage   Gail&Marty and Rotterdam
Lady Hudson at Coco Cay (Oasis OTS)
Signs of spring in New Zealand
Quartzite Cruiser settled in Texas
Sharon at a women’s retreat
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Good morning all! 

Since going out to eat is one of my favorite activities, I will wholeheartedly celebrate chefs and waiters today. One of the things I hated most during the pandemic was not going out to eat. We did a lot of carry out and delivery from all our local restaurants, but it wasn’t the same. Branded fruit I must say is a take it or leave it thing.

Love the quote for it’s humor and for it’s truth.

As I recall a B&B is pretty potent. Curious to hear the reviews on the wine suggestion. Does that really say Beet Reuben? Oh well, I don’t like reubens at all, so probably wouldn’t matter what you stuck in it. 

I have been to today’s destination, but I don’t have any pictures on the IPad, so I will just enjoy others.

Prayers for all on the concern list 🙏. And so much to celebrate in cruising, especially as the Rotterdam sets sail from Amsterdam! 🍷

Take care all!

St Louis Sal

• Like 29

Good Wednesday morning.  I dislike brandied fruit.  Chefs and Waiters are so important to those of us who enjoy going out to eat and of course on the BHB!!  I totally agree with the quote as I've gotten older.  Never heard of a Beet Reuben, will wait for Debbie's recipe.  Have not been to today's port, it's on our January cruise.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

B&B:

Ingredients

1-½ ounces Benedictine liqueur
1-½ ounces brandy

Instructions

Pre-warm the brandy snifter by pouring a little hot water in the glass. Swirl it around, then discard.
Pour the jigger of Benedictine into the warm brandy snifter.
Gently pour the brandy over the back of a bar spoon and let it fall on top of the Benedictine to 'float' it on the thicker liqueur.

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 7.12.03 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, All.  Welcome ms Rotterdam indeed.

Beets are a favorite, so it'll be interesting to see how they can be used in a Reuben.  Or is it beef?  In any case, brandied fruit would be a nice accompaniment, if prepared by a fine chef and served by a helpful waiter.

I have laundry done and things back in place after our California Cruise on Koningsdam.  It was so much fun, I'm shopping around for someplace to go before our next scheduled jaunt in May. (Hint hint:  No matter what you read elsewhere, the problem on a HAL ship right now is how to avoid eating all the good things, rather than a lack of good things.)  

Wishing @Sharon in AZa wonderful time in Houston at women's retreat.  Nice to have something else to do, to shake off the post-cruise blues.  

Seems like there's been a lot going on with the Daily.  @rafinmd is finally getting some important test results today?   Holding a good thought for good news.

Thank you once again,  @richwmnand Company for the Daily.  Wishing everyone a lovely day.

• Like 30

For now I will post just one photo from Grand Turk.  Crystal Symphony and Serenity met there late in 2019 (I was on Symphony; Serenity needed to tender from the harbor) accompanied by the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Here is NA leaving, as seen from Crystal Symphony:

IMG_7823.JPG.b1c44379fd911b491b95e6a82ccc7ca8.JPG

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy, thank you for our lists!  I am offering my brandied fruit to the first taker. 

Off to an early dermatologist check up. Will check back later. But that drink sounds perfect for one of my 10 days of Winter!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Henkell Brut Sparkling Wine

I could not find a wine with the exact name shown above, so I opted for this sparkling wine from Germany. Rated good - very good and very reasonably priced. Many online distributors with prices starting at $9.49.

Winemaker Notes

Henkell Brut Vintage is a full-bodied, vinous sparkling wine which attracts the wine connoisseurs with a well-balanced and lively bouquet. Subtle aromas of citrus and tropical fruits. Crisp, full-bodied, well-balanced with excellent acidity. Enjoy on its own, or pair with appetizers, fresh seafood, grilled meat and vegetables and fruit desserts.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Today's sunrise is another from my 2019 QM2 crossing enroute to a string of Crystal River and Ocean voyages.  The weather certainly did not start out good but that is exactly what QM2 is designed to handle with ease.

dawn1020.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Daily-ite family. Thank you Rich for your dedication.

Met our new doctor yesterday. He has a different approach to his practice that I need to ponder.  Afterwards went to an early dinner downtown.

No workers yesterday. Someone is due this morning to begin sheetrock. Here's progress so far:

I'm so happy to see Rotterdam set sail. Can't wait to hear from those onboard. I hope they have great chefs and waiters to celebrate today.

Here's a card I got on my birthday.

Since my computer is still on the CC Fritz I'm hoping my pictures post properly from my phone.

Blessings, prayers and cheers!

1014211523.jpg

1014211646a.jpg

1019210834.jpg

• Like 34
  • Haha 1

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Sam is enjoying the cooler weather. My previous two Alaskan Malamutes always enjoyed laying outside while it snowed. Curious to see if Sam will do the same? Initially when we adopted him 2-1/2 months ago, he would not leave our side, and I even needed to walk out in the yard with him. Now he is content to be left alone for a while in the morning in the yard and the latest is to sit in the yard at dusk. He loves to lay on his back with his four paws in the air! It is also time today to go for the monthly 25 lb. bag of dog food. He will probably get a new chew toy as well! He really is a big goofball!

0821211255.thumb.jpg.fcc49ca6237453c85183df55930cc0b1.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 36
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon.

It is raining and 55°F here.

We are in a shopping outlet and just finished lunch.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for today's care, celebrations and shout out lists.

Brandied fruits are nice.

We like eating out and our waiters and the chef's who cook the food are always excellent.

I will miss on today's food and drink.

I don't think the quote is relevant to us on here.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who need them.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20211020_121738.jpg

IMG_20211020_121712.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.  

CC is still working for me this morning.   I'm sorry @Seasick Sailor to hear that you are still having problems.  I was hoping there was a fix.   Maybe I should have bought a more expensive blue tooth keyboard.

I remember having that brandied fruit that was all the rage back in the early 70's.  You added a cup of bar sugar and a cup of fruit to it each week and the thing grew to huge proportions and took over the whole kitchen.   It was good over a pound cake or vanilla ice cream.  I finally got rid of mine when I didn't have anything big enough to store it in.  

I've worked as a wait person and my brother is the chef in the family.   Restaurant work is hard work for little pay.   Despite my brother working full time cooking in a restaurant, he never had health insurance and didn't make enough to afford more than an efficiency apartment.  I waited tables during the summers when I was in college.  That was my tuition money.  

Today's meal in an interesting one.  When I first saw Beet Reuben I was sure Rich had made a typo.  But, beet reubens are the real deal.   They say if seasoned correctly the beet can taste just like corned beef.  Now, I don't know that I would go that far!   I do know I had a great vegetarian reuben at the Veggie Grill in Seattle when I met @Cruising-along Carolyn before our Alaskan cruise.  

Here's a recipe to get you started:   https://lynnecurry.com/2018/04/beet-reuben/

beet-Reuben-with-beer-610x915.thumb.jpg.327b01a3a7b4915d7cb7d6aeaf084c64.jpg

The Food Network says the trick is in the spices.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/beet-reuben-4587830

1819898595_BeetReuben.jpeg.23e80c2552c0a798e66a56d5853ec2cf.jpeg

And here's a quick fix:   https://www.delishknowledge.com/vegetarian-beet-reuben-sandwich/

Beet-Rueben2-1-of-1.thumb.jpg.d44b3f057553113d3ad97bb178de2010.jpg

Have a great day, everyone, and may CC work for you all.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Good morning  everyone. I am waiting in the car while Tana has some tests done at the radiology  department.I was so worried  about the 8 am appointment  that I woke up at 3!Yikes.

I salute all the hard working waiters and chefs today.We are still reticent  to eat inside around here  as the area is so highly populated and we know there are folks who are not vaccinated around us. I am always happy to get takeout though.

The baked spaghetti  was popular last night,thanks again  @dfish,Debbie.Tonight I have vegetarian  chili on the menu.

Take care everyone. 

Terry

• Like 27

The Gala dinner was Gala. Wait staff in white tuxedo shirts, bow ties and black suspenders. Pre dinner cocktails and appetizers in the Ocean Bar. HD Mark Pells sat down with us for the entire happy hour and we shared many memories of past cruises.

I was a little disappointed in the dinner. The fried dumplings were tasteless, the squash salad the same. The Halibut lobster dish was really good. The filet was perfect but by then I was getting full. Orange creamsicle desert was tasty.

Off to get my Covid test.

Some pics are failing to load.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all!

We were so sad to leave the Eurodam on the 18th after a perfect cruise (in many ways it exceeded our expectations).  As has already been said, the crew and officers are SO happy and excited to be sailing again, and make it clear that it's because of us, who are booking and sailing, that they are back to work.  All of our excursion guides said the same.  After more than 25 cruises on 2 lines, we had 2 of the best cabin stewards we've ever had.  Probably the only disappointment was the MDR menus, so we dined there only 4 times during the 24-day cruise.  Every other dining venue was wonderful.

After spending one night in Venice, we flew home early yesterday morning and arrived home last night.  After being up for 24 hours (no sleep on the plane again) we slept 10 hours last night. Good to be home, but missing the Eurodam too!

It was very frustrating to try to keep up with the Daily while we were gone.  Most of the time I couldn't react to posts much less post anything myself.  Even though CC showed I was signed in, it said I had to be signed in to post.  But when I tried to "sign out" to sign back in, it wouldn't let me do that either.  Needless to say, I've felt cut off from all of you lol.  I had no problem with any other site, only CC -- and in my case, the ship internet worked very well.

I'm excited to start planning our next cruise (July 3 Midnight Sun/Northern Capitals).  

• Like 34

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for the daily report.   Welcome Rotterdam I hope I get to sail on her soon.  @dfish the meal suggestion sounds interesting,  I'd give it a try but think I'd have a backup plan just in case. 😀 Yesterday's cabbage side dishwent over very well.   I will try it again but maybe add some cayenne to kick it up a notch.

Jasper was making a huge fuss in the downstairs bathroom this morning.   Eventually I figured out that he was tracking a mouse.  That boy is earning his keep.  He will get some treats.

The cc gremlins are back on my iPad.   The phone seems to be fine this morning. 

• Like 23