The Daily for Wednesday October 20, 2021

richwmn

Just now, AncientWanderer said:

I always feel short-changed there on a cruise because some years ago a friend, who knows her way around,  told me, "You absolutely HAVE to go to Turks/Caicos."  She went on and on about the water, beauty of the island, etc., etc.  But she had stayed at a resort somewhere.  Not sure where.

Seems like there must be more to offer than what we are seeing there at the little cruise beach at Grand Turk.

Oh trust me - we didn’t stay at the beach resort spot - we went exploring.  

The water is nice if you want to snorkel, etc but we are really not beach people admittedly.  When we go, I sit in the sun and DH in the shade.  Pretty hard to find a spot that suits both LOL.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

We have also returned home after our 12 days on Eurodam.  Agree with @Cruising-along that the MDR was poor.  We only ate there once as most of the repetitive menu was available in the Lido, but it was easier to mix and match the foods in Lido to make a more interesting meal.  Pinnacle Grill was good and Tamarind was very good.  The winner however on a 'value basis' would be Canaletto, which was great.

We also stayed for one night in Venice after the cruise.  Venice was more crowded than I expected.

We much prefer Grand Turk over HMC.  The fact that the ship can dock at Grand Turk is a big plus and there is more to do in GT.  We wouldn't bother going ashore in HMC anymore.

We have missed a lot of the Daily postings for the last two weeks so we may have missed some sad or some happy news.  We will try to catch up on the back reading.

In the meantime, can we give a generic 'well done' to those on the shout out and hugs and sympathy to those on the care list.

Take care all!

• Like 29

Good morning  and thanks all!   I used to enjoy Henkell Trocken.  We’ve visited Grand Turk, but alas no photos!  I’m sorry to hear the MDR has not been up to par. I hope they’re not following in Cunard’s footsteps,  the buffet was great the MDR meh! 
Those scarves are beautiful.  Now I will have to try and find them!  
The original Amphora held even more,  I think it was 100 litres!  
image.thumb.jpeg.c0e17ab31d29fed4d71d7f41b9eb6f16.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Totally agree with @VMax1700about Canaletto being very good.  It's funny, the new menu doesn't really inspire when you read it, but on both Nieuw Amsterdam and Koningsdam, the best meals we had were there at Canaletto.  The branzino on the K was a perfectly prepared fish -- best fish of the cruise.  And that's taking into account the dover sole at Sel de Mer.  Between the two cruises, we tried a variety of dishes.  All were excellent.

(Sorry if this isn't really the place for review type stuff, but it's nicer to share experiences with a gentler crowd -- tips for future cruises.  Who knows what the branzino might trigger elsewhere.  🥴)

• Like 22

11 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Totally agree with @VMax1700about Canaletto being very good.  It's funny, the new menu doesn't really inspire when you read it, but on both Nieuw Amsterdam and Koningsdam, the best meals we had were there at Canaletto.  The branzino on the K was a perfectly prepared fish -- best fish of the cruise.  And that's taking into account the dover sole at Sel de Mer.  Between the two cruises, we tried a variety of dishes.  All were excellent.

(Sorry if this isn't really the place for review type stuff, but it's nicer to share experiences with a gentler crowd -- tips for future cruises.  Who knows what the branzino might trigger elsewhere.  🥴)

Review away!   We all want to hear about it.   In Alaska Sue and I only at in the MDR one evening.  We did go there for lunch on embarkation day and the day in Juneau.   The menus really didn't grab me and make me interested.   We did really enjoy the Pinnacle, Tamarind, and Sel de Mer.  We also loved our Halibut Fish and Chips at Icy Straight Point.  They were wonderful!

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

At oncology.  Small nodule where prostate was.  No emergency but radiation recommended.

Roy

Ok, the fact that it is no emergency is good.   Radiation can really zap you.    Warm hugs and prayers, Roy.

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

At oncology.  Small nodule where prostate was.  No emergency but radiation recommended.

Roy

Sorry to hear that. There are new techniques  for radiation delivery  these days which can greatly  reduce side effects  while also increasing efficiency. Please take time to  evaluate  options and choose a method  that is right for you. 

Mary  

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

Review away!   We all want to hear about it.   In Alaska Sue and I only at in the MDR one evening.  We did go there for lunch on embarkation day and the day in Juneau.   The menus really didn't grab me and make me interested.   We did really enjoy the Pinnacle, Tamarind, and Sel de Mer.  We also loved our Halibut Fish and Chips at Icy Straight Point.  They were wonderful!

On the K, there was really good fish and chips in the Lido every day.  Which was surprising, because in Alaska it only appeared maybe once.  They also had a nice beef roast every day.  Everything was of good quality.

In my head I'm trying to sort out how we'd approach a long cruise, which is what we prefer.  On these short jaunts, it's easy to avoid MDR and, like you did, just restaurant-hop.  But for a longer cruise, all that rich food would get to be too much.  I really do hope they get MDR up to speed.

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Sorry to hear that Roy, but not being an emergency must be taken as a positive.

🤞

• Like 17

As I have previously mentioned our late upper fixed dining service for meals and wine have been great. I can’t say for earlier dining but I have heard it’s really busy. 

Over the past cruises we have noticed less folks choosing late fixed dining.

Menu selection has been fair and we have never chosen the extra Club Orange entree.

I feel for those of us who cruise a lot the menu sometimes becomes more mundane! Kind of I’ve had that before kind of rut!

Still beats fixing our own.😁

• Like 21

5 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I found it on etsy by searching "Botanical print scarf" and then refined the search to "most recent."

I had to add the filter “Shop location” - Canada to find them. 

Whoopee! I will be toasting you tonight Laura!   I will be looking for my blouse. 😎

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1