Retreat Host vs. Butler

Sam.Seattle

Retreat Host vs Butler?  Until just now I have not thought much about the name change. 

I just realized it might be a marketing and image excellent move by Celebrity.  When I hear the word butler, I think about the 1966 show "Family Affair" with the butler Mr. French.  Am I showing my age?

When I look up the definition of butler I found this: the main male servant in the home of a wealthy person.  Several online definitions include the word "servant". 

In the year 2021 the concept of having a servant is something I would not want to be part of.  Now, having a "host" is a term I find less offensive and not demeaning to the person providing the services a cruise ship suite attendant provides.

Something to think about?

Your thoughts….

Cheers!

🍸

23 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Retreat Host vs Butler?  Until just now I have not thought much about the name change. 

I just realized it might be a marketing and image excellent move by Celebrity.  When I hear the word butler, I think about the 1966 show "Family Affair" with the butler Mr. French.  Am I showing my age?

When I look up the definition of butler I found this: the main male servant in the home of a wealthy person.  Several online definitions include the word "servant". 

In the year 2021 the concept of having a servant is something I would not want to be part of.  Now, having a "host" is a term I find less offensive and not demeaning to the person providing the services a cruise ship suite attendant provides.

Something to think about?

Your thoughts….

Cheers!

🍸

I agree that it is a good idea. I would rather be hosted than butlered. 

• Like 1

Perhaps we should just entirely do away with all references to "'service' industries" by that name while we're rejiggering the language to keep everyone comfortable?  That was, after all, how they referred to the employment of not just the butler, but the entire household staff back in the day, and is where the word we use today comes from.

No, @Sam.Seattlenot showing your age any more than the rest of us!  That said, the most recent reference that comes to mind would be Mr. Carson.  Or perhaps going back a few decades to Jeeves (aka Stephen Fry)?  There are a fair number of similar examples in film and literature.

Note how in each case, it's only the butler, or equivalent, that seems to be the one with his head consistently screwed on straight, holding everything together.  Some people actually needed to be 'butlered', and were jolly lucky when they'd found a good one. 

"No man is a hero to his valet." - Mme Anne-Marie Bigot de Cornuel

• Like 1

“A rose by any other name….”

Must say I am struggling to remember the new title.

I hope the staff like their new name. I wonder if they were consulted about the change? Certainly the term ‘host’ indicates someone who has a role involved in enhancing your stay…Much prefer host to Genie (Royal Caribbean).

• Like 1

We like the have breakfast in our cabin and order special water and soda.  The host-butler helps with these requests.  Also, if you want to make a cocktail party he/she helps to coordinate.  The concierge helps with any billing issue, restaurant reservations etc.  Their is some overlap- 

From the OP who looked up the definition of butler: the main male servant in the home of a wealthy person .  
We have noticed that on recent sailings many of the formerly known as Butler's are now female.  Possibly that was considered in the title change.  Whatever they're called, we think they're all pretty amazing!

Edited by Zigster
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

“A rose by any other name….”

Must say I am struggling to remember the new title.

I hope the staff like their new name. I wonder if they were consulted about the change? Certainly the term ‘host’ indicates someone who has a role involved in enhancing your stay…Much prefer host to Genie (Royal Caribbean).

I Dream of (having a) Genie or Butler or Retreat Host.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Heck of a thing, isn't it?

In larger households, they were the glue that held the place together.

I am one of five sons and my mom told us that we were her personal butlers

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, steveweese said:

I agree that it is a good idea. I would rather be hosted than butlered. 

Not to be pedantic…okay, I’m USUALLY pedantic…but I think the term is “butled” or sometimes “buttled.” (Neither of which spellcheck would accept, so one of us is probably wrong)

Personally, “butlered” (which spellcheck wanted to be “ buttered”) sounds less offensive to me than the ones above, but “host” is a definite semantic improvement and more descriptive of the uses served by the person in that job.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Not to be pedantic…okay, I’m USUALLY pedantic…but I think the term is “butled” or sometimes “buttled.” (Neither of which spellcheck would accept, so one of us is probably wrong)

Personally, “butlered” (which spellcheck wanted to be “ buttered”) sounds less offensive to me than the ones above, but “host” is a definite semantic improvement and more descriptive of the uses served by the person in that job.

I think it's clear in context that @steveweese was inventing a word to match "hosted" aimed at an objective case, not the past participle of the verb buttle.  In my book, he's entirely off the hook from the grammar police.

2 hours ago, canderson said:

I think it's clear in context that @steveweese was inventing a word to match "hosted" aimed at an objective case, not the past participle of the verb buttle.  In my book, he's entirely off the hook from the grammar police.

Yes it was a word that I invented but be assured it will be added to Webster’s files shortly. LOL

I don’t really care what they call him/her but keep in mind LLP is extremely woke.

Another thing they have done in the past. Is change what they call something so they can deny a perk previously given.

Edited by dkjretired

So to me the Retreat Host is the concierge that greets you inside the Retreat.  They take care of reservations, excursions, guest service issues, but never leave the Retreat- unless they take you to the tender line!  They used to be called the Michael's Club Concierge.  Much different role than your Butler (or PRH now).  The Butler tends to your personal needs actually coming by your cabin every day and is on a team with the cabin attendant.  The butler brings room service, coffee, snacks, messages, whatever.  They are on call to get you anything you need.  They will seat you in the reserved seats in the theatre on Chic nights.  Renaming a Butler to a PRH is confusing and unnecessary IMHO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

So to me the Retreat Host is the concierge that greets you inside the Retreat.  They take care of reservations, excursions, guest service issues, but never leave the Retreat- unless they take you to the tender line!  They used to be called the Michael's Club Concierge.  Much different role than your Butler (or PRH now).  The Butler tends to your personal needs actually coming by your cabin every day and is on a team with the cabin attendant.  The butler brings room service, coffee, snacks, messages, whatever.  They are on call to get you anything you need.  They will seat you in the reserved seats in the theatre on Chic nights.  Renaming a Butler to a PRH is confusing and unnecessary IMHO. 

Except there is not really a Retreat.  Retreat is now basically another word for a suite.  There is Retreat Lounge, a Retreat Sundeck, and a Retreat Lounge (that they kept the name of Luminae.  Now we have a Personal Retreat Host.  

There are so many others in the Retreat Lounge that I have no ideal who is responsible for what.  I think they are all the same although some have stripes and other’s do not. I guess they are Retreat Lounge concierges?