QR codes for vaccine proof

zitsky

I just looked at what I believe to be th

2 hours ago, poffles said:

Nova Scotia (Canada) has evolved the available 'proof of vaccination, much like other provinces in Canada and other countries.  At this moment, we have two QR code documents available to us (screen print below) with verbiage that one is NS only use, not sure the true difference.  Even with the QR code, both documents also identify the vaccine doses in writing so not QR only.  Everything is evolving so fast that the technology is trying to keep up so one has to keep that in mind.  Personally I am impressed with some of what they've been able to accomplish to date and they are still improving day by day. 

I would not consider travel anywhere outside my province, even within Canada, with a document having only a QR code.  We just had family visit from Alberta and the QR code on their document was not scanable here in Nova Scotia WITHIN Canada so another country is a wish and a prayer right now.                                

==============================

image.png.f09590ecde25a92fa7b52344886e3f68.png

===============================

Couldn't edit my prior post but wanted to add, when I view each of the offered proof of vaccines (to NS citizens) the difference is of course formatting but also the lack of country identification on one. 

The first one (partial pic below) that says accepted outside NS is fully formatted to the Federal Government standard.  The second one they make available to us (NS only wallet size) is not formatted to meet this standard and does not even have Country of Issuance on it.

The best document will be one that looks like this Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination.  This would make sense to be the final look of our county 'passport' vaccine record.

image.png.ebd743521a554aed30aad7ee865b3646.png

18 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Well, Celebrity had better discover the capability of scanning a QR Code, as that is what our Provincial Government has issued to us Ontarians for purposes of 'International Travel'!  And a sheet of paper with the QR Code on it is what I have!

You do realize that Canada can't dictate what other countries or private companies will accept as "proof". They can issue for that purpose but doesn't mean that anyone will accept it. 

• Like 3

Just now, sanger727 said:

You do realize that Canada can't dictate what other countries or private companies will accept as "proof". They can issue for that purpose but doesn't mean that anyone will accept it. 

Completely correct.  Until world comes to figure this part out, somewhat like the Passport, and it becomes universal this is going to be an ongoing problem.  Having all these countries come agree to this is a whole other issue.  Especially when in US states are all different.  I have the card.  sits with my passport even tho it is very flimsy etc.  But like you said dont expect all compainies to adjust for each ind country overall.   

5 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

EXACTLY.  This is evolving and I think statements such as the below found on the Gov Canada site (link in my prior post) indicate how this standard of 'vaccination proof' record is being socialized internationally in the interest of acceptance.

This proof

• was developed by provinces and territories, with support from the Government of Canada
  • is a recognized, trusted document that has been shared with our international partners

47 minutes ago, poffles said:

EXACTLY.  This is evolving and I think statements such as the below found on the Gov Canada site (link in my prior post) indicate how this standard of 'vaccination proof' record is being socialized internationally in the interest of acceptance.

This proof

• was developed by provinces and territories, with support from the Government of Canada
  • is a recognized, trusted document that has been shared with our international partners

the phrase "with our international partners" is vague at best and essential meaningless without a list of the partners

I’m interested to see how this works when cruises in Europe resume for US citizens. Norway is not open yet with no announced timeline for accepting American tourists. For those who can enter, the process for getting a QR code is rather complicated. It seems Amsterdam also requires a QR code for restaurants and museums.

Too bad the US can’t come up with a document acceptable for international travel. The mere mention of a vaccine passport sends people screaming into the street.

8 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

the phrase "with our international partners" is vague at best and essential meaningless without a list of the partners

100%.  I guess my saying 'how' was a bit of a stretch and more accurate to say that they are saying it's being shared internationally but the who is gray matter.

Edited by poffles

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

When the GOC refers to its international partners, lacking a specific context to the contrary, it's referring to other countries. It certainly isn't referring to cruise lines.

• Like 1

I feel for all the Canadians here trying to figure out how to prove to a cruise line or foreign border bureaucrats what they know is true, i.e., that the pax are truly, fully vaxxed, scout's honor.

I booked a special music cruise on the German Hapag Lloyd line a couple years ago, coming up this spring, and I would really like to go.  As of January 1, foreigners will once again in theory  be allowed to board again ( they had been banned during Covid).

However, the vax proof requirements to board demand electronically scannable vax proof (which most Americans do not have, much less one Germans can reliably scan) AND ( not or) a WHO card showing proof of vax ( I am trying to figure out what that is, never saw one, have no clue how to get one).

It will likely be several years before countries integrate scannable Covid up to date vax proofs the same way they have with almost 200 different kinds of passports at airports, and meanwhile some travelers will have great stress and headaches, be viewed with suspicion and risk being turned away, or just stay home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

When the GOC refers to its international partners, lacking a specific context to the contrary, it's referring to other countries. It certainly isn't referring to cruise lines.

Seems to me that many (not all) cruisers feel as the world needs to acquiesce to their personal vacation desires and set their own rules.  Give me a break.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

exactly, and without a definitive list, it's meaningless.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Seems to me that many (not all) cruisers feel as the world needs to acquiesce to their personal vacation desires and set their own rules.  Give me a break.

Vacationers are not the only people who travel. Seems to me that we will need an acceptable form of documentation for international travel if we are going to have to live with Covid indefinitely.

• Like 1

Just now, Babr said:

Vacationers are not the only people who travel. Seems to me that we will need an acceptable form of documentation for international travel if we are going to have to live with Covid indefinitely.

Of course, but this is a cruise based forum.  I travel personal as well, I follow the rules and don't expect special treatment

1 minute ago, Babr said:

We've lived with all kinds of things 'indefinitely' without any specific documentation required to prove vaccination and/or recovered status or whatever..... Covid-19 is still very much a pandemic illness; with time it will likely join other viruses and diseases we've learned to live with.  Just not now.

9 minutes ago, Babr said:

I’m interested to see how this works when cruises in Europe resume for US citizens. Norway is not open yet with no announced timeline for accepting American tourists. For those who can enter, the process for getting a QR code is rather complicated. It seems Amsterdam also requires a QR code for restaurants and museums.

Too bad the US can’t come up with a document acceptable for international travel. The mere mention of a vaccine passport sends people screaming into the street.

the very phrase "acceptable for international travel" implies co-operation from every country to accept a specific format and source of information. That is a lot to expect in such a rapid time frame.  Those that fall short, live with the short term consequences.  

The world becomes a smaller place every day.  Rapid and frequent travel makes managing disease tracing nearly impossible before there is a major response required.  Nobody has a right to travel outside their country. Nobody has a right to demand entry into another country. No one has a right to any specific mode of travel.  The days when people can pick and choose whether or not to be vaccinated (any type vaccines) and demand equal treatment for travel are gone.  To them I say, your choice. Sit at home and quit your complaining.  Vaccine passports are a must eventually, and sooner better than later.

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Of course, but this is a cruise based forum.  I travel personal as well, I follow the rules and don't expect special treatment

I missed the part about anyone wanting special treatment.  We are all trying to figure out how to navigate a whole new way of doing things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Makes no difference whatsoever whether travel is for pleasure or business from my perspective.

6 hours ago, poffles said:

I just looked at what I believe to be th

Couldn't edit my prior post but wanted to add, when I view each of the offered proof of vaccines (to NS citizens) the difference is of course formatting but also the lack of country identification on one. 

The first one (partial pic below) that says accepted outside NS is fully formatted to the Federal Government standard.  The second one they make available to us (NS only wallet size) is not formatted to meet this standard and does not even have Country of Issuance on it.

The best document will be one that looks like this Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination.  This would make sense to be the final look of our county 'passport' vaccine record.

image.png.ebd743521a554aed30aad7ee865b3646.png

Our Ontario one is identical (except for the Ontario provincial pic instead) and from the Government of Canada website:

Some countries may not be able to scan the QR code on your proof of vaccination.

If this happens, you can show the vaccination history available on the digital or paper copy of your proof of vaccination.

• Like 2

While I'm by no means an expert or even have experience in Canada a google search brought up.   It seems to answer many if not all questions including some Provinces like Alberta don't have a system yet.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/vaccines/life-after-vaccination/vaccine-proof.html

They have a great link what to do if having problem using the QR code while  traveling international. 

If you don’t have your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination yet, find out how to get one.

Before you use your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination, you should

• make sure your vaccination details are up to date
  • print a paper copy of your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination in case you can’t access the proof on your mobile device when you need it
  • Like 1

A lot of people seem to like to post FUD just for the sake of it. This is what the new "QR" form that eventually all Canadian provinces & territories will be using looks like. All the relevant information that was on the original receipts we got after each vaccination is available in a human readable format. Is the QR code internationally readable? Probably not, but also irrelevant because the person you're dealing with will be able to read the information with their own eyes.

Vaccination Sample.jpg

Edited by cdn_tbird
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While I'm by no means an expert or even have experience in Canada a google search brought up.   It seems to answer many if not all questions including some Provinces like Alberta don't have a system yet.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/vaccines/life-after-vaccination/vaccine-proof.html

They have a great link what to do if having problem using the QR code while  traveling international. 

If you don’t have your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination yet, find out how to get one.

Before you use your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination, you should

• make sure your vaccination details are up to date
  • print a paper copy of your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination in case you can’t access the proof on your mobile device when you need it

My vaccination details are up to date.  I long ago received BOTH Covid-19 (Pfizer) Vaccines; (have printed off a hardcopy, had it 'downsized' and laminated at a nearby UPS Store, for convenience of travel); plus I've already received my annual ('High Dose') Influenza Vaccination, on October 13th., (the very first day of availability at 'Shoppers Drug Mart') - the great Canadian version of the American 'Walgreens/CVS'! 😁

7 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

A lot of people seem to like to post FUD just for the sake of it. This is what the new "QR" form that eventually all Canadian provinces & territories will be using looks like. All the relevant information that was on the original receipts we got after each vaccination is available in a human readable format. Is the QR code internationally readable? Probably not, but also irrelevant because the person you're dealing with will be able to read the information with their own eyes.

Vaccination Sample.jpg

Mine is like the above one.

3 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

My vaccination details are up to date.  I long ago received BOTH Covid-19 (Pfizer) Vaccines; (have printed off a hardcopy, had it 'downsized' and laminated at a nearby UPS Store, for convenience of travel); plus I've already received my annual ('High Dose') Influenza Vaccination, on October 13th., (the very first day of availability at 'Shoppers Drug Mart') - the great Canadian version of the American 'Walgreens/CVS'! 😁

We got our high dose flu shot at SDM also on first day. They had us in their system just completed online form previous evening and showed up next morning.