The Daily for Wednesday October 27, 2021

richwmn

35 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I believe you call it soccer in the US.

Graham.

Yes, that is the game. American football is when a bunch of overweight sissies put on lots of extra padding and take breaks and hug every few seconds. Then they swap out players between offense and defense so they won't get too tired. 

True football (soccer) is a much faster game where all of the players participate and they don't wear much protective gear and they don't keep taking breaks after each attempt at play. Both sides play offense and defense and both sides require stamina to run for two 45 minute halves. 🙂 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Late to the party and page six!  Eek!  Will have to catch up! 
Happy birthday Graham! 
@StLouisCruisers good for your sleuthing,  my DSIL had a moderna booster after two Pfizer’s as they said mixing gave better protection for immune compromised.   So much to learn, and all so new.

@kazu we had the same experience with St Petersburg.  The first time on a ship’s tour we weren’t allowed to go in the churches,  told nothing to see,  missed the Hermitage treasury room …

next time I was much smarter and organized a private tour with SPB tours,  saw the treasury,  inside the churches, did a hovercraft back from Peterhof, a canal boat ride, rode the subways, ate at a market and local restaurant and saw Usipov Palace where Rasputin was shot.  Plus all the other highlights 

Inside the church of the spilled blood were the most amazing mosaics of semi precious stones I’ve ever seen!

thanks for sharing all the photos everyone,  most of mine seem to have become hidden 

BA9D8F4A-5C2B-438B-A2C3-7CF91B23E79C.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

No, he will be getting an implant but it will take place in a couple of months.  I'll let you know when he sees work start with the oral surgeon.🦷

Unfortunately, due to the treatments for my cancer implants are not a good option for me.  Wishing him a good result.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, cruzn single said:

I definitely want a better impression of Russia than I got in 2011 on the Volendam when we visited Valdivostock

There is NO comparison.   We did it in the other direction and were sorely disappointed in Vladivostock

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Yes, that is the game. American football is when a bunch of overweight sissies put on lots of extra padding and take breaks and hug every few seconds. Then they swap out players between offense and defense so they won't get too tired. 

True football (soccer) is a much faster game where all of the players participate and they don't wear much protective gear and they don't keep taking breaks after each attempt at play. Both sides play offense and defense and both sides require stamina to run for two 45 minute halves. 🙂 

If you haven’t already watched Ted Lasso on Apple TV, do yourselves a favour and watch this funny, endearing story of a US College Football coach, going to coach a premier league London team! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We were in St. Petersburg while on our50th anniversary cruise aboard the Eurodam. One of the dates we were ther was 08/08/2008 which was considered to be a good luck day. We saw at least a dozen wedding processions in the various parks and squares. Beautiful. We went on 3 differrent ship tours and were lucky enough to be able to see everything inside the museums etc and we also attemded the folkloric show. Everything about those days in St. Petersburg was fabulous except one tour guide who on the way back to the ship decided to vent her displeasure with the current political situation. I am certainly enjoying all the photos that you dailyites have posted.As usual our photos are all from the old Canan AE1 and are permanently in Scrap/books.

Jane

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

There's something I wanted to share and see if any of you are familiar with this type of "game".  One day on our way home from our walk from the gym, I glanced over at a couple of trees near the sidewalk.  I noticed something sitting on a tree branch where it juts out from the main trunk.  Stepping closer I saw a flat rock about 3 to 4 inches long, painted white with a picture of Peppermint Pattie on it, which could have been a decal sort of thing, and the name Peppermint Pattie printed on it in black lettering.  I haven't removed it to see if there's anything else I could discover about it.  But why is it there, and is it a sort of hide and seek game?  I figure someone here would have some knowledge of such activities.

Sandi someone placed this stone in our front walk way. Several other neighbors have them but no one knows who put them there.

1027211633.jpg

• Like 13

Ironic that today is Lung Health Day. I just found out that my friend Kakalena's lung cancer has spread to numerous areas. She has her good days and her bad days of course. This morning was good for her and we went out for lunch.

Please, all of you that know her and even those who don't, add her to your prayer list.

Jane

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

Just now, lazey1 said:

Ironic that today is Lung Health Day. I just found out that my friend Kakalena's lung cancer has spread to numerous areas. She has her good days and her bad days of course. This morning was good for her and we went out for lunch.

Please, all of you that know her and even those who don't, add her to your prayer list.

Jane

Thank you for keeping us updated about Kakalena.  I always enjoyed her posts and am so sorry she's going through this. She is in my prayers.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, maXEdison said:

Did anyone who toured St Petersburg on a canal boat have the experience where a boy waves to you from every bridge, running from bridge to bridge just in time for the next wave, and is there as you depart the boat to collect gratuities?

I thought it was very industrious, and a unique memory. (I still remember it, and it was from 2010, I think.)

I suppose it could be that his job there is fulfilled by several different boys or girls, passed on from year to year, like the Dread Pirate Roberts.

I did not see that, what a fun memory!

• Like 5

Wow! The Daily is HOT isn't it? Allen and I are home. Surgery went well. Stopped for lunch. Now there's more hammering in the bathroom. It is nearly 5 and the cable guy hasn't shown. And now our internet is out again. Using my 4G.. Jeez.

I noticed a few more folks needing prayers since we've been gone. Keeping our Roy very busy!

God bless.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

I don't know her but of course feel badly hearing her latest bad news.  I'm sure there is plenty of room on our prayer list for her.  It's nice she has friends like you to enjoy lunch with.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, maXEdison said:

Did anyone who toured St Petersburg on a canal boat have the experience where a boy waves to you from every bridge, running from bridge to bridge just in time for the next wave, and is there as you depart the boat to collect gratuities?

I thought it was very industrious, and a unique memory. (I still remember it, and it was from 2010, I think.)

I suppose it could be that his job there is fulfilled by several different boys or girls, passed on from year to year, like the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Welcome to the Daily and to Cruise Critic.  I had a similar experience on a bus descending Macchu Picchu with a kid who ran down a multitude of steps, meeting us each time the bus completed a switchback and crossing the trail, and then getting on the bus as it approached the train station.

Roy

• Like 11

Checking in and there's so much to read!  

@marshhawk sending prayers for your DH; that's a scary situation for both of you!  Welcome to the Daily; it's a great place to visit and participate in the various discussions.

@Horizon chaser 1957 I'm happy to hear you escaped the brunt of the storm; I'm sure you're going to enjoy your time in Mexico . . . ole !!

@Seasick Sailorgood luck to your DH with his surgery.

@Sharon in AZwelcome home; I'll bet it felt good to get away.

@Cruising-along yikes on the fall; hopefully the resulting soreness will dissipate quickly.  It happens so quick - I took a flying leap out of the bathtub earlier this year and felt it for several days after.  Wine helped.

I've had @kakalinain my daily prayers for some time; I wish there was more I could do for her, but sadly, there isn't. 

Thank you everyone for your beautiful photos of St. Petersburg; we were there on a Baltic cruise on the Rotterdam VI in August, 2011.  We had booked a 2 day tour with our family and friends through SPB tours and were so glad we did. Unfortunately, the first night we were in St. Petersburg, I tweaked my back and could barely move - I felt it snap in the middle of the night - so I ended up staying "home alone" on the ship while the rest of our group went on the 2nd day's tour.  DH was a real sweetheart, though, because he bought CD's and books for me from every stop that day so I could at least see what I'd missed.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, maXEdison said:

Welcome to the Daily!

• Like 4

It's a sad day of reflection here in town. The 3rd anniversary of the terrible shootings at the Tree of Life Synagogue, where 11 innocents were killed. Several police officers were injured. I live not too far from there and pass the empty building often.

1318700840_TreeofLifeSynagogue.thumb.jpg.10d19447aa46ba4b87ddd17e06cb7660.jpg

Strongerthanhate.thumb.jpg.5d80e489c5769d430f3a7558b5410870.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 12

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you!  When I call the pharmacy and ask they give me a jumble of "it's a half dose but it's 0.25".  What is she saying?  The full doses were 100 micrograms so a half dose should be 50 micrograms.  When I asked specifically if it was 50 micrograms she tries to evade giving me a straight answer.  I'm going to get to the bottom of this.  Any help from your experience is appreciated.

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Okay, DH just brought me a chart from Moderna he printed off that shows the vaccinations schedule.  It shows a third dose for immunocompromised is 100 micrograms or 0.5 milliliters (ml).  A booster of 50 micrograms is 0.25 milliliters (ml).  Why couldn't she say that in plain English?  So I guess we will go to Publix pharmacy to get the shots and ask point blank if that is what they are trying to say.  We can't be too careful!

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@cruising_alongModerna full "third" doses are reserved for those who are immunocompromised or cancer patients, etc.  You may have a health issue that required the full dose.  Now they say if we don't have those problems the over 65's get the half dose.  We got it accomplished and got the proper half dose.  If she would have explained it in the microgram and milliliters numbers it wouldn't have been so confusing!  Hopefully we'll feel no after effects.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out and “installed”.

Reading micrograms just sounded weird to me. In my experience vaccine doses are usually referred to in milliliters (volume) - the amount you draw up in the syringe. This is how the literature refers to vaccine doses (see the Red Book, product inserts (which you probably haven’t seen) etc.)

Using micrograms (weight) hints that the reference is to a drug, which is distributed in concentrations, usually of mcg/ml or mg/ml ( which is usually ordered by dose, referencing the concentration, and volume, and before administering, one confirms the calculation.)

The Covid vaccines can get confusing as there are 3 of them (here). That’s been true for the flu vaccine for several years now. You have to be very careful you grab the right product. There are other things that are different about them too. (e.g. they cannot be shaken or flicked.) 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Love the beach said:

Thank you everyone for the Daily!

Happy Birthday Graham!

Thanks to everyone for the beautiful pictures! I have never been there....the subway system sure puts NYC subways to shame....what gorgeous stations!

Thank you.

Graham.

• Like 4