The Daily for Wednesday October 27, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Late to the party and page six!  Eek!  Will have to catch up! 
Happy birthday Graham! 
@StLouisCruisers good for your sleuthing,  my DSIL had a moderna booster after two Pfizer’s as they said mixing gave better protection for immune compromised.   So much to learn, and all so new.

@kazu we had the same experience with St Petersburg.  The first time on a ship’s tour we weren’t allowed to go in the churches,  told nothing to see,  missed the Hermitage treasury room …

next time I was much smarter and organized a private tour with SPB tours,  saw the treasury,  inside the churches, did a hovercraft back from Peterhof, a canal boat ride, rode the subways, ate at a market and local restaurant and saw Usipov Palace where Rasputin was shot.  Plus all the other highlights 

Inside the church of the spilled blood were the most amazing mosaics of semi precious stones I’ve ever seen!

thanks for sharing all the photos everyone,  most of mine seem to have become hidden 

BA9D8F4A-5C2B-438B-A2C3-7CF91B23E79C.jpeg

Thank you Bennybear for your birthday wishes.

Graham.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wow! The Daily is HOT isn't it? Allen and I are home. Surgery went well. Stopped for lunch. Now there's more hammering in the bathroom. It is nearly 5 and the cable guy hasn't shown. And now our internet is out again. Using my 4G.. Jeez.

I noticed a few more folks needing prayers since we've been gone. Keeping our Roy very busy!

God bless.

Joy, so glad Allen's procedure went well and he felt like going out to lunch.  Probably, it was more relaxing than hammering, but ar least they're working.  Sorry about the internet issues and the cable guy no showing up.

Lenda

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

Ironic that today is Lung Health Day. I just found out that my friend Kakalena's lung cancer has spread to numerous areas. She has her good days and her bad days of course. This morning was good for her and we went out for lunch.

Please, all of you that know her and even those who don't, add her to your prayer list.

Jane

I am so glad she had a good day today.  So sad on her health and yes, she is on my prayer list. 🙏🏻. She contributed so much to CC and on board to her roll calls.  Why does this happen to the good people 😢 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

Ironic that today is Lung Health Day. I just found out that my friend Kakalena's lung cancer has spread to numerous areas. She has her good days and her bad days of course. This morning was good for her and we went out for lunch.

Please, all of you that know her and even those who don't, add her to your prayer list.

Jane

Jane, I have not been fortunate enough to met Kakalena, but I am sending positive thoughts that she has many more good days than bad.  It's good you are there for her.  Thank you for the update.

1 hour ago, maXEdison said:

Did anyone who toured St Petersburg on a canal boat have the experience where a boy waves to you from every bridge, running from bridge to bridge just in time for the next wave, and is there as you depart the boat to collect gratuities?

I thought it was very industrious, and a unique memory. (I still remember it, and it was from 2010, I think.)

I suppose it could be that his job there is fulfilled by several different boys or girls, passed on from year to year, like the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Welcome to the Daily, and I hope you join us often.  We're a very friendly and supportive bunch.

24 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

It's a sad day of reflection here in town. The 3rd anniversary of the terrible shootings at the Tree of Life Synagogue, where 11 innocents were killed. Several police officers were injured. I live not too far from there and pass the empty building often.

1318700840_TreeofLifeSynagogue.thumb.jpg.10d19447aa46ba4b87ddd17e06cb7660.jpg

Strongerthanhate.thumb.jpg.5d80e489c5769d430f3a7558b5410870.jpg

That was indeed a very sad day.  When will people learn that needless violence doesn't solve anything?

Lenda

• Like 9

4 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Great news! DGD tested negative late yesterday and again today. If she continues to have no symptoms and tests negative tomorrow, she will be allowed to return to school for on-site (but isolated) learning. If she continues negative, she will be allowed to resume riding the bus, being fully in class, and participating in after-school activities starting Monday. Daily testing will be required for ten days.

Thanks again for your care and prayer.

-Melisa

That is terrific new, Melisa. Prayers to continue for negative tests each of the 10 days.

4 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Some have commented about our DGD's maternal great-grandmother coming to the rescue earlier this week. Yes, as the Chorus Line lyrics say, she is One Singular Sensation!

At age 93, she plays league tennis three times a week, volunteers at her community food bank, serves 'food insecure' meals at her church, still downhill skis in the winter, kayaks in the summer, and drives solo to the western USA to join in her son's river rafting outfitters overnight adventures.

She's amazing! And a role model to many!

-Melisa

WOW! Amazing is right.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

I'm so sorry to hear that Kakalenas cancer has spread.

It is midnight now in the UK and I will say a prayer for her before we go to sleep.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks to all who have posted such magnificent pictures of St. Petersburg.  Makes me more anxious for that cruise.  

My prayers for many today.  Our care list is unfortunately getting longer.

Glad I had an easy day today.  Had more chills this morning!  The booster is certainly "kicking me!"

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Just a few St. Petersburg photos from my 2003 trip.  It was part of a rail journey from Helsinki to Beijing, and here are photos of my hotel and room there:

wrld1700.thumb.jpg.2d72912adacaa3d1e9e00b62f43018fa.jpg

wrld1720.thumb.jpg.e26bb4baa856b6d58d425de01dad0693.jpg

I did independently take a ride on the subway.  Since it's not just an unfamiliar language but also an unfamiliar character set I took a photo of the map when I entered and returned to my starting point by matching the destination with what i had in the photo:

wrld1690.thumb.jpg.7984b34becfb70c6de1346f81b44d3b4.jpg

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 17

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sandi, I don't know about leaving painted rocks on tree branches, but in our community in Texas, one or two neighbors painted rocks and left them at neighbors houses.  I'm not really sure what that is about.

We;ll, DH just did some research on t he painted rocks.  It may have been started by pinterest and is to promote positivity and kindness.  

I was surprised that they are waiting a couple of months before starting work on the implant for your DH.  When my dentist realized a tooth would have to come out and an implant was needed, he sent me to the oral surgeon.  That way, the oral surgeon pulled the tooth and put the implant in the socket.  We then waited about four to six months for the bone to grown around the implant before adding the post and the crown.  In fact, my regualr dentist did the crown.  The good news is, I haven't had any problems with the implant, and it's been 17 1/2 years.

Lenda

Now that’s different from both of the implants that I have.  When the teeth were extracted the bone grafts were immediately placed and it took weeks for the new bone to form. After it was ready the implants were inserted into the newly formed bone tissue and they took some weeks to set before the crown was attached. If I could afford to replace all of my teeth with implants I would. The best part is no more tooth sensitivity and wondering when a root canal will be necessary! The only discomfort was the initial trauma that the teeth endured.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

So many posts, here we are at page 8, has taken ages to read through.Thanks for all the daily news, and  super photos of today's destination.

We are visited by 2 friendly Black cats, one from next door, who will often supervise when I work in the front garden, the other belongs to the new neighbours in front of us.

@HAL Sailer such good news about your DGD.

@marshhawkWelcome to the daily.  Best wishes for a successful outcome from your DH's surgery.  How long will he be in the hospital?

@Cruising-alongSorry that you fell, hope you will feel more comfortable tomorrow.

@lazey1 thanks for updating us about Kakalina,  sorry that it is not better news, always enjoyed reading her posts on Cruise Critic. 

@Seasick Sailor your DH must be feeling better after the surgery.  Hope your renovations will be completed very soon.

Belated Happy Birthday to @grapau27.

It's a sunny spring day, temperature 21 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Kind of late for most; just after dinner here on the West Coast.  Interesting reading about full and half doses of the Moderna shot for the booster.  I think I qualify as immunocompromised as I have been living with CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) for a few years.  I wonder if I need to show proof of that if I get the booster at a pharmacy or Costco as they have no access to my medical records.  Worked all day at my other house but will take tomorrow off.  Our DD and DSIL will be here tomorrow from Iowa to celebrate Sara's 80th birthday.  Not sure if they will stay with us or with our son who lives nearby.

Ray

• Like 14

1 minute ago, USN59-79 said:

I wonder if I need to show proof of that if I get the booster at a pharmacy or Costco as they have no access to my medical records. 

At least in Maryland that's on the honor system and no proof of eligibility is required.  Not sure if that's universal or not.  Any chance you could get your booster through the VA?

Roy

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Now that’s different from both of the implants that I have.  When the teeth were extracted the bone grafts were immediately placed and it took weeks for the new bone to form. After it was ready the implants were inserted into the newly formed bone tissue and they took some weeks to set before the crown was attached. If I could afford to replace all of my teeth with implants I would. The best part is no more tooth sensitivity and wondering when a root canal will be necessary! The only discomfort was the initial trauma that the teeth endured.

My implant was started in October 2003, and finished in April 2004. A lot of things probably have changed since then.  My dentist has retired, and the new one does implants and 3-D crowns instead of sending you to someone else.  My 3-D crown was made during my appointment.  The new dentist, besides being gentle, is young enough that he should not retire while I still need a dentist.  🤞

The ironic thing about the implant was once the oral surgeon had determined I'd healed enough and had exposed the implant and tested the post, he wouldn't let me take the post to my dentist.  He was afraid I'd lose it.  Instead, he insisted on sending USPS to me dentist.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Thanks to all who posted their pics of St Petersburg, Russia!  I was lucky enough to be there in July, 2013, on the Ryndam.  Booked the ships tours, which were expensive, but thought it might be my only time to see it.  Truly, one of the most interesting port cities I have ever been to.

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

• Like 14

29 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Kind of late for most; just after dinner here on the West Coast.  Interesting reading about full and half doses of the Moderna shot for the booster.  I think I qualify as immunocompromised as I have been living with CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) for a few years.  I wonder if I need to show proof of that if I get the booster at a pharmacy or Costco as they have no access to my medical records.  Worked all day at my other house but will take tomorrow off.  Our DD and DSIL will be here tomorrow from Iowa to celebrate Sara's 80th birthday.  Not sure if they will stay with us or with our son who lives nearby.

Ray

Please wish Sara a HAPPY BIRTHDAY for me.  Enjoy your visit with your DD and DSIL.

Lenda

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Kind of late for most; just after dinner here on the West Coast.  Interesting reading about full and half doses of the Moderna shot for the booster.  I think I qualify as immunocompromised as I have been living with CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) for a few years.  I wonder if I need to show proof of that if I get the booster at a pharmacy or Costco as they have no access to my medical records.  

Ray

I got my first 2 shots through our county Health Dept. For the booster I went through a local CVS pharmacy. I registered online and I only had to check the box for being immunocompromised. No proof required.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon, everyone!

First of all, a huge thank you to Jacqui @kazu for posting the meal of the day for me.  I was driving down the street at 6:15 am and wouldn't have had time to post from Columbus even if I had taken my tablet along.  I had a number of booklets from an economic study that was done that I had to heft along and that was more than enough.  

@grapau27  Happy Birthday!

cute-birthday-meme-with-cat.jpg.8a589b90c5eafed47d0c463692efb92f.jpg

@Cruising-along Please be careful.  That is how I broke my hip and that interferes with cruising.  You don't want that!

@Seasick Sailor I will be thinking of Allen and his next MOHs surgery.  I sure hope that bathroom gets finished soon.

@marshhawk Welcome to the Daily and prayers for you husband on his surgery.

@HAL Sailer That is wonderful news about your DGD!  

@atexsix I am fine, just travel for work today.

@St. Louis Sal I admire you greatly for your participation in those drug trials.  Anyone who does helps all of us as we are all touched in some way.   

Glad to know you are okay, it was just so unusual because you are always on Page 1 of the daily and with the exception of your Alaska cruise, this was the first time you weren't there.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Bruno.

I hope you and your dad have a nice meal today.

Graham.

Thank you, it was nice, a few wrong turns, it was in a neighborhood we hadn't been to in decades.  Not sure it was worth the hour drive in heavy traffic, both directions, probably would have been nicer in the summer. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Happy 80th birthday to Sara today.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211019_100324.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, erewhon said:

So many posts, here we are at page 8, has taken ages to read through.Thanks for all the daily news, and  super photos of today's destination.

We are visited by 2 friendly Black cats, one from next door, who will often supervise when I work in the front garden, the other belongs to the new neighbours in front of us.

@HAL Sailer such good news about your DGD.

@marshhawkWelcome to the daily.  Best wishes for a successful outcome from your DH's surgery.  How long will he be in the hospital?

@Cruising-alongSorry that you fell, hope you will feel more comfortable tomorrow.

@lazey1 thanks for updating us about Kakalina,  sorry that it is not better news, always enjoyed reading her posts on Cruise Critic. 

@Seasick Sailor your DH must be feeling better after the surgery.  Hope your renovations will be completed very soon.

Belated Happy Birthday to @grapau27.

It's a sunny spring day, temperature 21 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Thank you Erewhon.

Graham.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, atexsix said:

Glad to know you are okay, it was just so unusual because you are always on Page 1 of the daily and with the exception of your Alaska cruise, this was the first time you weren't there.

Thank you for being concerned for me!   It is so nice to know that someone cares.

• Like 5