The Inside Cabin - Live on the Koningsdam Coastal California

The-Inside-Cabin

We departed San Diego for a 2 week cruise off the coast of California.   (two 7 day back to backs)   We arrived in Ensenada this AM.   Will be posting more later, but I wanted to upload this video which shows the embarkation process.    I am experimenting with doing more video.   We'll see how it goes!

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canadarocks said:

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing.

First time I've ever seen room keys at the actual room door... not sure I like that. We've always got them when we check in. 

All the cruise lines sailing to Alaska this 2021 season from Seattle's Pier 91(HAL, PCL, RCI, Carnival) and Celebrity (temporarily at Pier 66), all used the new card key protocol of having the cabin card keys waiting at the stateroom door - no more card key pick-up at check-in.   

A few quick observations -

Room steward teams are assigned 36 rooms vice 28 before pandemic.    Executive housekeeper said they plan to return to pre-pandemic service levels once cruising returns to normal passenger counts and staffing.  

Wine stewards are missed - MDR service was excellent, but too efficient - no time for chit chat.   Different people will interact with you at different times.  -  one person took order, a different person delivered first course and another person delivered the second and so on.   We arrived at MDR at 7:45 and were finished at 8:45  - food was OUTSTANDING - exceeded expectations.   Judy had the steak - perfect and I had the fresh Swai - both perfect.  

We splurged on the retreat - living in luxury up there....Expensive but very nice ($400) for the week.

Forgot my white shirt - took an uber to Walmart in Ensenada to get another for our gala night tomorrow.

More later -   

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Great video! Do you know how many people boarded on this cruise? Lines seemed longer than what I experienced in Seattle but that was a slightly smaller ship. Hope you can discover the capacity for this sailing (I know you will). I assume some stayed on from the previous cruise. Have a great voyage!

5 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Great video! Do you know how many people boarded on this cruise? Lines seemed longer than what I experienced in Seattle but that was a slightly smaller ship. Hope you can discover the capacity for this sailing (I know you will). I assume some stayed on from the previous cruise. Have a great voyage!

Lines were longer because there were 2 ships in port.   Usually there is only one.  San Diego has many wonderful features they are no Fort Lauderdale in terms of be able to process cruise ship passengers.

I think we are at about 75%  I will try to confirm later....

• Like 1

Heading out this Sunday on the K'dam.  In your video, you didn't mention how strict they were regarding embarkation groups (A, B, etc.) and the twenty minute windows for arriving at check in.  Would appreciate info on that point.  Thanks.

Great video! I think short ones work the best and yours is perfect.  Especially appreciated the targeted parts, like the keycard piece -  this is very informative to see, not just read about and certainly brings a feel of being on the ship :) !

You chose well: have a super cruise!!

You did a great job on the video 👍 

thanks for taking us along.  Have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time.

p.s. Your cabin doesn’t sound like an inside cabin 😉 You are contradicting your CC name 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, R.T. said:

Heading out this Sunday on the K'dam.  In your video, you didn't mention how strict they were regarding embarkation groups (A, B, etc.) and the twenty minute windows for arriving at check in.  Would appreciate info on that point.  Thanks.

They don't appear to checking this information at all.  However, we arrived after our time - so we can't say for sure, but there didn't appear to be checking.   There is a person right at the door when you get here that checks your paperwork - only to make sure you have a boarding pass and vaccine stuff - she doesn't examine the paperwork and didn't appear to be looking for check in times - which are sorta hard to read on the paperwork we had.     I haven't heard anyone on the ship talking about this - and I am sure it would have come up had someone been turned away.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kazu said:

You did a great job on the video 👍 

thanks for taking us along.  Have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time.

p.s. Your cabin doesn’t sound like an inside cabin 😉 You are contradicting your CC name 😂 

My inside cabins ended with my Navy days - now it's only symbolic  😀

• Like 4
  • Haha 5