The Daily for Thursday November 04, 2021

richwmn

10 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The 3D process for making crowns is so much easier, at least for me.  No more needing the big tray for impressions -- YUCK! 😱  And my dentist can make the crowns in the office, so it was one visit, a long one, but just one.  Hope the numbing has worn off by now.

Debbie, I totally agree about a one story house.  After several two story houses, when we moved 22 years ago, we built a single story, and our house in Quartzsite is also a single story.  So much safer, unless you do like I did a few years ago, and trip over the vacuum cleaner -- no damage except to my pride.

Glad the catact surgery went well.  The communication about when to pick him up was a mess..  Hope things work more smootly next week.

Actually, we were expecting the cancellation after all the turmoil Covid has caused the last 18+ months.  Australia is now taking tentative steps to open up, but with all the restrictions on cruising worldwide, I can understand why Princess felt they could not guarantee the ports.  Since things have been so iffy since we booked in April, I really did not let myself get excited about the cruise which was still six months away.  

We've decided to take the offer to transfer to the  2024 WC at the same price.  In two years, who knows what the cruise will cost.  We can always cancel before final payment if we decide we don't want to do the cruise.

I tried the baking soda paste to clean my oven after I'd used it for about ten years.  I did not get the good results you did. Maybe, it was too dirty, and I think I waited too long.  Parts of the oven that weren't too bad came clean, but the really dirty parts are still a little dirty.   I'm still finding some baking soda paste residue in the oven.

Lenda

Sadly I does need to be done more often to be effective. And cleaning the racks is still a pain. I usually stick those in a plastic bag overnight with a dish of ammonia. I used to soak them in my bathtub but my new tub is a soaker tub and too narrow so I rely on the ammonia.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Early this morning for me!  Got a call before 7 am from my DSis.  My brother-in-law died very suddenly last night.  He had been battling cancer, but this was heart attack/or stroke and he was gone in less than 5 minutes.  So, I will be leaving for Phoenix in the next day or two.  I haven't been able to see her in 3 years because of his cancer, and COVID.  Will spend several days with her.  

And just after my laments about flying to Phoenix, will have to figure things out.  American Airlines out of GJ, or Southwest out of town an hour away.  We shall see.  Thank goodness, I can just go however things work out!

So very sorry to hear about your brother in law. Prayers for your family at this difficult time.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The 3D process for making crowns is so much easier, at least for me.  No more needing the big tray for impressions -- YUCK! 😱  And my dentist can make the crowns in the office, so it was one visit, a long one, but just one.  Hope the numbing has worn off by now.

Debbie, I totally agree about a one story house.  After several two story houses, when we moved 22 years ago, we built a single story, and our house in Quartzsite is also a single story.  So much safer, unless you do like I did a few years ago, and trip over the vacuum cleaner -- no damage except to my pride.

Lenda

The numbness is gone. This 3D process was a first for me. My dentist retired last year, as many did. I hadn't needed anything other than just cleanings for many years. I asked if they made crowns in this office and he said some they do, but mine no.

I'm the odd one out with a big old house with 3 floors and 4 if you count the basement. The couple I bought it from made the back porch into a bedroom (now my den) and a pantry into a bathroom, as the husband couldn't do stairs due to a heart condition. I do wonder if I'll be able to make all the steps some day in the future.

Sorry about the WC cancellation.

Vanessa

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks @Seasick Sailorand  @AncientWandererfor your concern.  I agree we should all pay more attention on the stairs.  I've been using the handrail on my way down lately I've noticed.  In the past I didn't use it, but I guess I'm thinking more about it as I age.  A fall on the stairs would be a stupid way to go!😇

Somehow I missed reading you had a fall. I hope you are ok and didnt do any damage.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

So am I but I've still managed a few tumbles.

Roy

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

So am I but I've still managed a few tumbles.

Roy

We also live in a single floor no step home and I’ve fallen at least 4 times over the eight years we’ve lived here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Kind of cold, wet and windy this week here.  Yesterday afternoon I stopped at the end of our cul de sac to pick up the mail.  Shifted the 4Runner to drive and nothing.  Tried all the other gears and 4WD and it still wouldn't move.  Walked half a  block home, got the DW and her car, and we towed it to a safe parking place next to the house.  This morning checked the transmission fluid - fine.  Made an appointment at a local transmission shop and called for a tow.  It would be a 3 hour wait and $129.  Looked up the code on the dash (AT/P) online and it said the 4WD lever could have been knocked into neutral.  Tried moving it around and Voila, problem solved.  Cancelled the tow and shop appointment and probably saved somewhere between $250 and $2500, so today has turned out to be a good day!

Looks like I probably hit the lever with my knee when I jumped into the cab to avoid the rain.

Been talking to my TA about our upcoming 2023 Westerdam cruise around Japan for 28 days.  This replaces our 2020 Westerdam cruise to the same area and the same month.  HAL had given me about 3.2K worth of FCC for the cancelled cruise and we want to use it for the replacement cruise.  However, HAL says the FCC will expire in 2022.  The TA says he has talked to upper management at HAL and there is an excellent chance that in two months they will extend the cancellation date to 2023.  We will see.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

@Horizon chaser 1957oh my gosh, your view is absolutely idyllic!  Are you staying there for the duration, or do you have another place booked for the balance of time?

@dfishthank you for the update on @Krazy KruzersDH; I am saddened to hear he has passed, but comforted knowing they are united once more.  May they both rest in peace.

When we were at the Museum of Antiquities in Cairo, they didn't allow any photography inside, so everyone had to lock their cameras up in some pretty sketchy looking lockers at the edge of the property.  Fortunately after the tour, none of them were missing, but we all wondered if we'd ever see them again.

We have a bi-level (walk in the front door and either go up 7 steps or down 8), and a number of years ago I managed to walk off the top step in the dark on my way to work.  DH had already taken his car to work for the day, so it was just me and our cat Muggins at home - she helped greatly while I laid on the floor of the landing by crawling up on my chest and purring, while making biscuits with her paws.  I ended up getting to the office but was in such pain that a colleague took me to the medi-clinic where it was discovered I'd torn the ligaments in my ankle.  Ever since that time I've used the handrail without fail - and it has saved me a few times when in a hurry.

Stay safe everyone, have a nice evening ahead!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

However, HAL says the FCC will expire in 2022.  The TA says he has talked to upper management at HAL and there is an excellent chance that in two months they will extend the cancellation date to 2023.  We will see.

I sure hope so!  We may well be in the same boat, literally with not quite as much credit but still a lot.  We have some sitting on a May cruise I am not optimistic about, especially with our governments don’t cruise warning which negates our insurance.  

• Like 8

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I try to use common sense and do check my blood pressure regularly.  King Tut is certainly fascinating.  Woody Allen has a strange sense of humor.  I have not been to Martinique.  Chicken Florentine sounds nice.  My alternative is Orange and Radiccio Salad, Chilled Melon Bisque, and Rosemary Roasted Chicken which I would have chosen on MS Prinsendam November 4, 2017 if I had not been in Canaletto.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s sister hospitalized with lymphona and DH’s sister recovering from stroke
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
summer slope’s friend Frank with back surgery  and his stressed wife Rita
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
57redbird DH awaiting November 29 prostate surgery
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery November 17
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome to USA  Rotterdam VII
Welcome aboard kangforpres, Cruisercl, and unclerich
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 in Mexico
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Ger_77 DH productive day planting nesting poles
mamaofami’s keeper doctor
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

My Wife Sheila saw Dr today  and he booked her for an operation 

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I try to use common sense and do check my blood pressure regularly.  King Tut is certainly fascinating.  Woody Allen has a strange sense of humor.  I have not been to Martinique.  Chicken Florentine sounds nice.  My alternative is Orange and Radiccio Salad, Chilled Melon Bisque, and Rosemary Roasted Chicken which I would have chosen on MS Prinsendam November 4, 2017 if I had not been in Canaletto.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s sister hospitalized with lymphona and DH’s sister recovering from stroke
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
summer slope’s friend Frank with back surgery  and his stressed wife Rita
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
57redbird DH awaiting November 29 prostate surgery
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery November 17
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome to USA  Rotterdam VII
Welcome aboard kangforpres, Cruisercl, and unclerich
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 in Mexico
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Ger_77 DH productive day planting nesting poles
mamaofami’s keeper doctor
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

My Wife Sheila will have an operation on  her arm as the distance between the break is not close enough to knit together to heal so they will use some screws and then she will not have anymore pain when she stands up this time. Some time next week.

Jim.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

41 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I sure hope so!  We may well be in the same boat, literally with not quite as much credit but still a lot.  We have some sitting on a May cruise I am not optimistic about, especially with our governments don’t cruise warning which negates our insurance.  

I am hoping our cruise warning disappears when the ban on cruising goes 🤞 very hopeful for our May cruise and I like to think I am right.  Otherwise, I will have a lot of plans to cancel 😔 

40 minutes ago, bennybear said:

All this talk of falling I really don’t like.  I broke my elbow a couple of years ago when I rolled on a pine cone.  My DGD who was with me now warns me of any she spots🤷‍♀️😂

Ugh.  I feel that pain.  Broke mine a few years ago with a near run in (i was pushing a shopping cart) at Costco parking lot.   Didn’t realize it was broken until I told DH I was going to see my doctor about the edema in the elbow.

He jumped up, examined me and said feel this elbow (my good one) what do you feel - bone, right?  Now feel this one - what do you feel?  NOTHING.  There is nothing there Jacqui.  Pack an overnight.  Take off your engagement ring and we’re going to the hospital now.  You won’t be coming home. You need an operation to save that elbow.

I hate it when DH is right.

17 minutes ago, irishjim said:

My Wife Sheila will have an operation on  her arm as the distance between the break is not close enough to knit together to heal so they will use some screws and then she will not have anymore pain when she stands up this time. Some time next week.

Jim.

Best wishes for your wife.  🙏🏻 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Jim.

Sending good thoughts to your wife for a successful surgery and complete and quick healing.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

After my post about the cruise cancelation, I got on line and transferred our cruise to the same one in 2024.  It looks like we will pay the same as the 2022 cruise and get three more days.

Lenda

YAY 🙂. I have a suspicion that the 2022 pricing is going to turn out to be a bargain and 3 more days?  Bonus 🙂 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

All this talk of falling I really don’t like.  I broke my elbow a couple of years ago when I rolled on a pine cone.  My DGD who was with me now warns me of any she spots🤷‍♀️😂

I think I started this all today.  I'm so sorry!  There are no more falls allowed here!  That's final!

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

55 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Jim.

Sorry she has to go through that Jim but it sounds like it is exactly what she needs to heal and stop the pain.  Take good care of her!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

After my post about the cruise cancelation, I got on line and transferred our cruise to the same one in 2024.  It looks like we will pay the same as the 2022 cruise and get three more days.

Lenda

Sounds good to me!  Congratulations on your 2024 WC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My husband fell going into the bathroom earlier this year. Fell against shower door and got himself wedged between shower and toilet. I had to call paramedics to get him up. Fortunately nothing was broken (except the shower). Just finished the installation of the replacement shower with safety bars installed and a lowered threshold. I also have night lights in the bathrooms now and try to get him to walk carefully.

His all-time great fall though was out of bed on a transatlantic cruise!! Again had to get help to get him up. It's always an adventure.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Many thanks to all for the kind words of sympathy.  Guess I am all ready to fly to Phoenix tomorrow.  Have to go through Denver, but in doing so, I am able to save over $800!!!!!

My words of advice to all is DON'T FALL.  I want to acknowledge all, but afraid I will miss someone. Prayers for those on the care list and happiness for the congrats list!  Don't know if I will get to post while I am gone!

Have a good evening, everyone!  "See you in a week!"

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Jacqui.  Pack an overnight.  Take off your engagement ring and we’re going to the hospital now.  You won’t be coming home. You need an operation to save that elbow.

I hate it when DH is right.

Good thing he was there! 

• Like 9

Dear Dailyites!

Be careful out there, too many falls! @StLouis Cruiser Hope you are feeling okay!

I like the quote today!  I always felt as if folks used more common sense they wouldn't be meeting me in the ER!

@Vict0riann Glad to see that the Coho is sailing again, hubby and I took a road trip around the Olympic Peninsula,  parked our vehicle, then took a side trip on the Coho over to Victoria for the day! Had a wonderful time.

Be careful and stay safe out there everyone!  We have "wind warnings" here tonight, hope everyone has things tied down!  I am sure most the leaves will be off the trees in the morning.

Denise

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Eva, thanks for that advice.  Luckily there is only the top element visible and needing to be avoided, then.  The lower element is hidden beneath the oven floor  (instead of visible inside the oven) which makes it so hard to change out.  It required the whole unit to be removed for them to get to it.

We had the same unit, but in white. For us, the light bulb in the microwave went out, and when I finally got it repaired, it cost some $300. The repairman had to remove the entire microwave unit to make the change. A little or a year later, the microwave started taking longer and longer to cook something, then it smelled like burning insulation. We ended up with new appliances in stainless steel, because the refrigerator and dishwasher were both starting to act up, and stainless allowed us to get a better selection.

• Like 3