The Daily for Thursday November 04, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, All.  I'm so sorry to hear about your fall, @StLouisCruisersSandi.  It sounds like a pretty bad one.  Take it easy today.  Things might get sore that didn't seem sore at first.  @dfish, your recipes look really delicious!

I check my BP often.  Most people have trouble with high blood pressure.  Mine is unusually low.  Docs have offered medication to raise it, but not sure I like that idea.

I received an email first thing this morning from HAL about schedule changes for our  cruise to Mexico in January.  All port days switched around.  No big deal for this one, but on some trips it could be.  For our California Coast cruise last month, they were very late in announcing that Santa Barbara was dropped.  Point to ponder. 🥴

Today/tonight will be our first time babysitting DGD overnight.  DD and DSIL have a law firm dinner in Los Angeles that can't be missed.  DGD does not like to be away from mama right now.  Wish us luck!

Once again, many thanks to our contributors here, and wishing all a lovely day.  

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers Sandi.. ouch!! I hope you don't have any lingering problems from your fall. Years ago I was carrying Christmas boxes up from the basement and thought I had one more step up, but it was air. Fell all the way down the stairs. 18 months of PT and still have problems. Take care of yourself, there's only ONE you!!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Years ago I was carrying Christmas boxes up from the basement and thought I had one more step up, but it was air. Fell all the way down the stairs. 18 months of PT and still have problems. Take care of yourself, there's only ONE you!!

Yikes!  Another bad fall story.  We need these reminders -- serious stuff!

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am doing fine today.  Thank you @summer slope, @smitty34877, @cunnorl, and @grapau27for your concern and good wishes.  I don't have a headache and only feel the sore spot when I press on that spot.  So I should stop pressing, right?😉

Photos in the middle of the repair turmoil.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGIogCORC3mqghVV7lA1T55cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1636028834

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJO46YClvO6Xh_sj8BoUY3e4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1636029942

Nice wood kitchen units.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Seasick Sailorand  @AncientWandererfor your concern.  I agree we should all pay more attention on the stairs.  I've been using the handrail on my way down lately I've noticed.  In the past I didn't use it, but I guess I'm thinking more about it as I age.  A fall on the stairs would be a stupid way to go!😇

• Like 18

Good morning.  At the office waiting for the partner to get off the phone so we can chat.

I tend to have low blood pressure.  Like, almost dangerously low.  But the past few times it's been checked it was rather higher.  Not enough to worry about.  I blame it on being stressed constantly and wishing I could just freaking retire! 

I love Martinique.  I'm a fan of most things French and, as I think I noted recently, I do love to see a volcano up close.  I was very moved learning about the destruction of Saint-Pierre while walking around the ruins of what had been a thriving city.  I've been twice and would love to return.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you are ok after your fall.   Falls down stairs can be quite nasty.   I sprained both feet taking the trash out when I fell down one step into the garage.   I broke my hip falling up one step after taking some little used appliances out to the back porch for storage.   Moral of that story is don't clean house.  Let everything just sit there.  Eventually the city will send social workers to clean the place out.  

But seriously, falls down stairs can be quite serious.  Two years ago a friend of mine fell going down to the basement to do laundry.  She broke her neck and was paralyzed from the neck down.  She recently passed away.   She was one of those super active people, always on the go, and in great shape.   Be careful.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Rich and thanks for the Daily. 

I agree with others, how about an update on the prayer list? Thank you Roy for keeping the lists of prayers and cheers.

We had a great time at the "Cash in Black" tribute last night. The singer and band were fun and entertaining. We had 15 people for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, then on to the concert. Today will be more quiet with Mahjongg tonight. 

The recipes look great Debbie. I printed numbers 2 and 3. 

@AncientWanderer good luck with your babysitting job! 

Take care, count your blessings, sending prayers up and toasting to our cheers list tonight.

image.png.082366d635619a29f7ea1dc4497da66d.png

image.png.a413bc08cd04dd712ec6f3dab47adb40.png

• Like 23
  • Haha 5

Overcast day with temperature 55 but the 93% humidity makes it feel warmer. I don’t have a PH D but a degree in the use of common sense has been a key to my success! The world could use more folks using Common Sense!

Saw the King Tut exhibit years ago in New Orleans and the boy had some expensive relics.

Thanks for the Daily and contributors.

The following pictures are of Mount Pelee in Martinuque A 1902 eruption  destroyed the town of Saint-Pierre killing 29,000-30,000 people. Still active and the last eruption was in 1932.

image.thumb.jpeg.167a895ef318ba124735ee45057690ab.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f2b42939d07097004a3e32adee56cfca.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.95b950ea0ec5367ba6d34f245ff058be.jpeg

• Like 27

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you are ok after your fall.   Falls down stairs can be quite nasty.   I sprained both feet taking the trash out when I fell down one step into the garage.   I broke my hip falling up one step after taking some little used appliances out to the back porch for storage.   Moral of that story is don't clean house.  Let everything just sit there.  Eventually the city will send social workers to clean the place out.  

But seriously, falls down stairs can be quite serious.  Two years ago a friend of mine fell going down to the basement to do laundry.  She broke her neck and was paralyzed from the neck down.  She recently passed away.   She was one of those super active people, always on the go, and in great shape.   Be careful.

All very good advice, Debbie.  But I had to laugh at the don't clean house - the social workers will clean it out eventually!😂

• Like 9
  • Haha 10

Early this morning for me!  Got a call before 7 am from my DSis.  My brother-in-law died very suddenly last night.  He had been battling cancer, but this was heart attack/or stroke and he was gone in less than 5 minutes.  So, I will be leaving for Phoenix in the next day or two.  I haven't been able to see her in 3 years because of his cancer, and COVID.  Will spend several days with her.  

And just after my laments about flying to Phoenix, will have to figure things out.  American Airlines out of GJ, or Southwest out of town an hour away.  We shall see.  Thank goodness, I can just go however things work out!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 13

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We had the privilege of seeing the King Tut mask in the Museum of Antiquities in Cairo on our first trip to Egypt in 2009.  I still can't believe we were there.  I just checked my blood pressure - I'm a big girl, but have always had good readings; good genes, I guess.  Common sense seems to be in short supply these days.

Maybe I'm among the minority, but I've never been a fan of Woody Allen.  He just seems like a pathetic little man to me.  I'm very happy being me.  On the other hand, I've had the wine of the day and it goes down very nicely - I enjoy merlots.

@dfish I've washed walls like that for some time - I attach a wet microfiber cloth to the swiffer and go to town.  I laughed at your solution to cleaning and clutter.  

@kazugood luck with Miko & the vet today.

@Horizon chaser 1957I hope your flight to Mexico went without a hitch!

@StLouisCruisersyikes on your fall!  Hopefully just bruised and that's all - take it easy today, please!

@cunnorlhow nice to hear your sister was released - I applaud her knitting, as I am also a knitter.  Buying more yarn is the equivalent of buying green bananas when you're older or in a life-threatening health situation.  Kudos to her!!

@summer slopethat's great news about Frank's surgery; what a relief for his wife as well.

So yesterday I had this pork roast ready to go into the oven and decided to jazz it up a bit; I found a recipe for smothered pork chops and figured it would work as well on a roast as chops.  I browned the roast on all sides before putting it in the oven, mixed up the rest (stove top stuffing, cream corn, mushroom soup, celery, onion) and poured it over top.  It came out of the oven looking great - but DH  wasn't impressed with it.  I loved it, but it as a little disappointing to see him scrape off all the "smothering" and eat just the roast.  Oh well, at least we have enough roast left over that I won't have to worry about dinner tonight.  I'll remove the sauce and we'll be having roast pork sandwiches and soup for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for special friends in need.  We'll clink the glasses together to cheer on the folks on the happy list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, be well and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Loved the King Tut exhibit.  The mask is breathtaking.  My blood pressure is fine except when I'm trying to work on a cruise.  I wish more people would use their common sense. Look forward to Debbie's recipe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists. 

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

LaCludad:

Ingredients:

1,75 oz blanco tequila
1,75 oz ginger liqueur
1,75 oz yellow Chartreuse
a squeeze of lime juice

Mixing:

Stir all ingredients with fresh ice and strain into a collins glass filled with ice. Garnish with some zest from the lime.

Glassware:

collins

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 7.05.52 AM.png

Thanks for teaching us how to make this drink.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Maybe I'm among the minority, but I've never been a fan of Woody Allen.  He just seems like a pathetic little man to me. 

And maybe that is why Woody Allen would regret being himself and wished he was anyone else.

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Early this morning for me!  Got a call before 7 am from my DSis.  My brother-in-law died very suddenly last night.  He had been battling cancer, but this was heart attack/or stroke and he was gone in less than 5 minutes.  So, I will be leaving for Phoenix in the next day or two.  I haven't been able to see her in 3 years because of his cancer, and COVID.  Will spend several days with her.  

And just after my laments about flying to Phoenix, will have to figure things out.  American Airlines out of GJ, or Southwest out of town an hour away.  We shall see.  Thank goodness, I can just go however things work out!

I'm so sorry to hear about the sudden death of your BIL last night.  Prayers for your DS and all who mourn her husband, including you.  🙏  Sometimes going suddenly can be a blessing, but not having time to say goodbye to loved ones is very difficult.  MY BIL died of a cardiac aneurysm and died within 1 or 2 minutes once stricken.  I remember how hard that was on his loved ones.  

Safe travels to Phoenix.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I try to use common sense and do check my blood pressure regularly.  King Tut is certainly fascinating.  Woody Allen has a strange sense of humor.  I have not been to Martinique.  Chicken Florentine sounds nice.  My alternative is Orange and Radiccio Salad, Chilled Melon Bisque, and Rosemary Roasted Chicken which I would have chosen on MS Prinsendam November 4, 2017 if I had not been in Canaletto.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s sister hospitalized with lymphona and DH’s sister recovering from stroke
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
summer slope’s friend Frank with back surgery  and his stressed wife Rita
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
57redbird DH awaiting November 29 prostate surgery
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery November 17
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome to USA  Rotterdam VII
Welcome aboard kangforpres, Cruisercl, and unclerich
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 in Mexico
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Ger_77 DH productive day planting nesting poles
mamaofami’s keeper doctor
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

THANKS got both lists. You meal choice sounds tempting. 

• Like 4

Good morning all!

Up early, DH has an early morning appointment for cataract surgery.  (other eye next week).  I can't go inside and wait, so instead of sitting in a cold car I'll be coming home until they call me.  Thankfully we live only 10-15 minutes away.

I first saw the King Tut exhibit here in Seattle years ago, and then in Egypt at the Cairo Museum in 2006.  Fascinating!  My blood pressure runs high (darn family genes) and am on meds.  I should check it more often, we do have a bp cuff.  At my appointment last week it was very good, so I'm happy about that.  Usually just sitting in a doctors' exam room raises mine. White coat syndrome 🙄

The quote is kind of sad, but I would have to agree with Woody Allen if I were him 😉 

Common sense isn't that common, is it?  I would like the meal, but I'm afraid DH wouldn't.  He isn't a fan of cooked spinach.  I prefer it raw in salads too, but would probably like this.  

Yesterday I got almost all the backyard leaves raked, and into the bin, filled it up, and then the rain started.  There wasn't any more room in the bin anyway, so the rest can wait.  We do have rain in the forecast for the next 8 days or so....😞

@StLouisCruisersyikes about your fall!  I'm glad you're feeling ok!  Those falls can happen so quickly. I fell on slippery tile here at home just last week, came down hard on my left side and have a big purple bruise on my hip.  

@cunnorlhappy your sister is home from the hospital.  Prayers for improved blood counts so she can continue her treatments.  My sister had Lymphoma too, dreadful disease. 😞  

@cruzn singleI'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your BIL.  Safe travels to Phoenix.

• Like 18

@ger_77and @Cruising-alongthank you both for your good wishes.  It's nice to have so many people here who worry about you and give you good advice.  And I didn't have to join Facebook to find you all!

And Carolyn so sorry about your fall and hip bruise.  Hope that heals fast.  Maybe I should have DH look for a bruise on my head.  Or maybe not.  Better not to know. LOL

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Sorry for your loss.

• Like 6

Good morning, Daily Family,

All the fall stories bring back painful memories!  Just grateful we all survived to tell the tales.

@dfishI LOVE your sense of humor!

I went to the doctor this week for my “welcome to Medicare” appointment.  <eye roll> I passed the memory quizzes, and was able to name a bunch of animals.  I’ll bet I’m the only one who named Capybara and Cassowary!  😉 I also got my Covid booster.  I am good to go on cruises; only about 11 months to wait.

When I was in college in Arkansas a friend and I went to New Orleans to see King Tut in 1977.  The exhibit of course was unbelievable, but the wait in line was surprisingly fun.  We had brought some cards, and ended up playing cards with people we met in line for a few hours.  Great memories!

Everybody take care, remember your common sense (and common courtesy as long as we are being common), and please stay vertical!

• Like 21

@cruzn single, I am so sorry to hear of your brother in law’s sudden passing. Have a safe trip to see your family.

@Cruising-along,so sorry you had a recent fall as well. Hope you are better soon.

The washing machine repairman was a day late but he was able to fix our dual household machine. it is  amazing how fast laundry accumulates. We will take turns using it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

My sister was released from the hospital last night. Yeah!  They are holding on the chemo because her blood counts have been so low. She received 5 units of blood. She is a trooper though.

So glad to hear the good news that your sister has been released from hospital 👍 

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Thank you everyone so much for your prayers for my friends Frank and Rita.  Just heard back from her.  It was a 4.5 hour surgery with some problems in recovery.  Did a CT scan and everything is normal.  

Glad to hear that the surgery is over and theCT scan was good 👍 

42 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

So sorry to hear this 😢 Our deepest sympathies and prayers for him, your DSis, you and their family 🙏🏻 

21 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Up early, DH has an early morning appointment for cataract surgery.  (other eye next week).  I can't go inside and wait, so instead of sitting in a cold car I'll be coming home until they call me.  Thankfully we live only 10-15 minutes away.

Good luck to your DH for his cataract surgery.  I am glad you are close enough to not have to wait in the car.

21 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

@StLouisCruisersyikes about your fall!  I'm glad you're feeling ok!  Those falls can happen so quickly. I fell on slippery tile here at home just last week, came down hard on my left side and have a big purple bruise on my hip. 

Yikes on your fall and @StLouisCruisers  I hope you are both ok and please be careful.  Falls can be very dangerous 😱 

@smitty34877yay on the repairman successfully fixing the machine 👍 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

So glad to hear the good news that your sister has been released from hospital 👍 

Glad to hear that the surgery is over and theCT scan was good 👍 

So sorry to hear this 😢 Our deepest sympathies and prayers for him, your DSis, you and their family 🙏🏻 

Good luck to your DH for his cataract surgery.  I am glad you are close enough to not have to wait in the car.

Yikes on your fall and @StLouisCruisers  I hope you are both ok and please be careful.  Falls can be very dangerous 😱 

@smitty34877yay on the repairman successfully fixing the machine 👍 

Thanks Jacqui!  I do agree how dangerous falls can be so let's make a resolution to be extra careful on the stairs.

And what a great example of the use of Multi-Quoting!!  Very efficient of you.🙂 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1