Do you recommend getting the booster shot prior to cruise?

go.without.you

1 hour ago, miched said:

I might be wrong but I thought you had to have had your vaccination at least 14 days before your cruise and that includes the booster.

I might be interpreting it wrong but I would check.  

you can get the booster and flu shot the same day but it is wiser to wait a few days.   If you get both the same day you won’t know what one is causing any side effects. 

Happy cruising 🇺🇸🚢🇺🇸🌅

This is what I mean about asking in a forum. There is NO evidence that getting the flu shot and the booster for covid cannot be given simultaneously. That is direct from the CDC and attorney general.

You must wait 14 days after you get your second Pfizer or Moderna vaccine to be considered vaccinated.

A booster is NOT required for boarding.

If you have mixed the vaccines (example first Pfizer and then Moderna) there must have been 28 days between the vaccines to be considered fully vaccinated..

Miched, I am sure you are trying to be helpful, but the information you gave is incorrect.

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

This is what I mean about asking in a forum. There is NO evidence that getting the flu shot and the booster for covid cannot be given simultaneously. That is direct from the CDC and attorney general.

I asked the pharmacist at Walgreens when we got our booster about flu and booster together and he told me that there was no reason not to get them at the same time. I was asking for a friend (seriously!). We got our flu shot in September and our booster in early November. I would not hesitate to get both at the same time to save a trip. Tip -- use an ice pack after both flu and Covid booster. Really helps

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

You must wait 14 days after you get your second Pfizer or Moderna vaccine to be considered vaccinated.

If you have mixed the vaccines (example first Pfizer and then Moderna) there must have been 28 days between the vaccines to be considered fully vaccinated..

Miched, I am sure you are trying to be helpful, but the information you gave is incorrect.

The attorney general is weighing in on vaccines???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

With southern U.S, borders  open and international travel  restrictiins eased, getting as much protection as possible is a good idea.

( My only hesitation is for children..tough choice for parents)

Your daughter didn’t get vaccinated right?  

22 hours ago, Glendakayself said:

We had our boosters as soon as the CDC approved the shots. I had less of a reaction (mild muscle pain) than with the 2nd dose. Hubby, however, ran 102 temp and was unable to stand, walk, or sit without leaning and falling. He had. no reaction to doses 1 or 2, and did not react to the booster for  almost 24 hours. A couple of doses of Tylenol took care of his problem.

That said, we expect to get a 2nd booster in April or May  before our July and August cruises if available.

I encourage everyone to get a booster when they become available to you.

I do want to point out that there is no data (yet) that 2nd boosters will be required or needed. I do think that there is a high likelihood that CDC will require boosters to cruise at some point, but that’s more about some of the inherent issues of cruising, not the performance of the vaccine alone.

Additional Covid vaccinations may be encouraged sometime down the road when we figure out what the true optimum dosing/vaccine combo is.

16 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Thank you Guppy, yes, our pharmacist explained the flu vaccine differs from the COVID vaccine and can be taken same time. But your earlier post on checking on our own medical issues with medical personnel is the way to go. We can talk on requirements that relate to cruising, but the rest…..?

I personally took the booster as soon as I could and I’d recommend all others do the same since it was OK to take the original shots. I realize there can be reactions to any medical procedure, so check with medical/pharmacy personnel as many stated before, but remember when we see posts about ‘reactions’ to vaccines, we as humans think when we do something such as get our booster shot and a day or so later we feel ‘not right’ it must be due to that, it may very well have nothing to do with the shot. Human nature to think everything is directly connected. 

My daughter got her 13yr old her shots immediately and is getting the 6yr old her shots now. I personally dont see why I’d think its OK for me to protect myself and not my kids because the rates are lower for them, and because of what I may read on the Internet…..talk to your pediatrician and if you still hesitate when given an opinion from an expert, ask yourself why. So much of the hesitation seems to be peer pressure. Listen to your Dr, not your neighbor or some guy such as me on the Internet! I guess we can wait for kids to start dying in droves of a new strain, then we’ll rethink it. 

Den

• Like 1

Got my flu and booster at the same time.  My GP said no issue.

I would think you need to follow your Dr's advice.  The peanut gallery here (which I'm one of) doesn't know you or your Dr.  Follow your Dr...not me, or anyone else in here, on the TV, on the radio, on a WEB site, in a hut, with a gut, in a boat on a moat, eating ham...sam I am.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am not sure how quickly you get "full protection" from the booster. I know for the initial vaccine, you weren't fully protected until two weeks out from your second shot. So getting your booster inside of 14 days from your cruise may not offer you the full benefit while on your cruise, but that's certainly no reason NOT to do it. I would just make sure you do it at least a few days out as many people I know who have received a booster had a day or two of unpleasant side effects. Both my husband and I experienced fatigue, headache, body ache, etc. Several of my coworkers have ended up calling in sick the day after their booster. So just be aware to budget some down time when you might not be up for packing and cruise prep.

I agree that you should get a booster if possible and that it will not in any way affect your pre-cruise Covid antigen or PCR test. The key point that people have made here is to give yourself several days before cruising in case you get side effects.  In the USA, if you got one of the mRNA vaccines (2 shot series) over 6 months ago you will qualify if over 65,  or if you are younger and have any type of underlying conditions. There are many conditions that qualify but you will not likely even be asked.  IMO, based on the CDC and FDA booster guidance, if you got the 1 shot J&J vaccine over 2 months ago, definitely get a second dose ASAP.  Before your cruise.  There are a lot more breakthrough cases for the J&J vaccinated individuals as it is less effective against Delta particularly after just one shot.

The OP asked for opinions on getting booster shots before their cruise particularly as related to the pre-cruise test.  Not medical advice.  As everything else on CC, opinions will be handed out like free candy on Halloween if asked.  It is up to the reader to understand they are only opinions and comments with no inherent value.  Just perspective to be considered or rejected.  It is always best to get the direct information from your own personal qualified medical professionals.  That being said, the booster topic for cruising is quite on people's minds at the moment.  As is the testing topic.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 3

Our cruise is next month.  My GF got the first jab w/J&J and has decided to get the Pfizer booster shot today.  Apparently, according to California, it's fine to mix and match booster shots.

I got the 2nd Pfizer jab in early May and will be getting a Pfizer booster next week.

In my view, the better protected you are, the better it is for you and everyone else you come into contact with.  I wouldn't however wait until the last minute to get the boosters, just in case you experience side effects.  Neither one of us had any, other than localized soreness.

18 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Our cruise is next month.  My GF got the first jab w/J&J and has decided to get the Pfizer booster shot today.  Apparently, according to California, it's fine to mix and match booster shots.

I got the 2nd Pfizer jab in early May and will be getting a Pfizer booster next week.

In my view, the better protected you are, the better it is for you and everyone else you come into contact with.  I wouldn't however wait until the last minute to get the boosters, just in case you experience side effects.  Neither one of us had any, other than localized soreness.

We got Moderna (2 shots) and just recently the Pfizer booster.  We both had some minor side effects for about a day or two after the booster.   Yes mix and match has been studied and approved in the USA.  Happy cruising!

@TeeRick Good point about what the OP was asking...and some people pointed out that packing or travel could get harder if side effects were strong, so earlier is better than later.

Incidentally, I remember that on the marathon vax thread, you discussed the reticence parents might have about the vax. I was happy to see it was approved. Our 8 year old g-son in Hawaii announced he got his first shot 2 days ago (no immediate side effects). He says he wants to be ready for us for our Christmas trip. (Great to have a pediatric nurse for a DIL!)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@TeeRick Good point about what the OP was asking...and some people pointed out that packing or travel could get harder if side effects were strong, so earlier is better than later.

Incidentally, I remember that on the marathon vax thread, you discussed the reticence parents might have about the vax. I was happy to see it was approved. Our 8 year old g-son in Hawaii announced he got his first shot 2 days ago (no immediate side effects). He says he wants to be ready for us for our Christmas trip. (Great to have a pediatric nurse for a DIL!)

It will be interesting to see how the cruise lines like Celebrity respond to the vaccine approval in younger kids.  Will they require it for children to sail on their ships?

On 11/11/2021 at 1:46 PM, Guppy99 said:

I wouldn't ask for medical advice on a public forum. Why aren't you asking your physician. Anything here is purely anecdotal and should not even be considered when making a personal medical decision.

That's the BEST answer !!

Why would anyone ask for medical advice on a Cruise Critic forum where 99 % ( I assume )  don't even know who the poster is. 

Stick to important stuff---- Like , like--- You know what I mean ( Who's the Chief Engineer on the , etc, etc in 2024 )??

• Haha 1

@Pinboy They are asking about people's expeiences and advice based on that. Frankly, I hadn't thought about things like severe reactions that could cause someone to be unable to travel. A doctor could tell you about the side effects, but most people relate better to other people's stories.

Asking what medicine to take would be asking for medical advice. Asking people their actual reactions is different.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@Pinboy They are asking about people's expeiences and advice based on that. Frankly, I hadn't thought about things like severe reactions that could cause someone to be unable to travel. A doctor could tell you about the side effects, but most people relate better to other people's stories.

Asking what medicine to take would be asking for medical advice. Asking people their actual reactions is different.

🙄 look at the title of the thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Perhaps I interpreted the poster wrong, but, below is what I read :

I'm wondering if I should get the booster before then ".

That appears to be asking for advice which prompted my post above.

Either way, no harm done --- We all have to make our own decisions.