Cayman’s not feeling the love for cruisers…..

jimbo5544

I think this is kinda old dates, says feb. I posted here on the ccl threads a month ago rcl cancelled my march 27 and the email says caymans is closed .. so all of march ... well past the date in your article  .. and rcl cancelled.  .. that's why I say this article the dates are kinda old. 

Caymans had a very good economy and banking offshore. Lots of money from the usa moved to the caymans. Their economy has been better than ours in the past. They may not care.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I think this is kinda old dates, says feb. I posted here on the ccl threads a month ago rcl cancelled my march 27 and the email says caymans is closed .. so all of march ... well past the date in your article  .. and rcl cancelled.  .. that's why I say this article the dates are kinda old. 

Caymans had a very good economy and banking offshore. Lots of money from the usa moved to the caymans. Their economy has been better than ours in the past. They may not care.

I did a couple of double takes as well.  I think the “news” is their view has solidified.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

That's a pretty bleak article regarding cruising to there. Wellll....I guess the Cayman's are out of the picture for us for the near(?) future. Thanks for posting jimbo...I think. :classic_sad:

LOL, when they get hungry they will come around.

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I did a couple of double takes as well.  I think the “news” is their view has solidified.

My jan 30th cruise still says it's going to the caymans. I'd say they are having trouble finding open ports to switch to. 

My view is its false advertising to sell a cruise going to a port you know it wouldnt be going to.

• Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

My jan 30th cruise still says it's going to the caymans. I'd say they are having trouble finding open ports to switch to. 

My view is its false advertising to sell a cruise going to a port you know it wouldnt be going to.

Until they get told def one way or the other, there is nothing false about it.  If their itins were base upn what is available now…..there would be not a lot of cruise ports.  That said, I really do not have a dog in this fight.

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Until they get told def one way or the other, there is nothing false about it.  If their itins were base upn what is available now…..there would be not a lot of cruise ports.  That said, I really do not have a dog in this fight.

How can rcl send me a email saying grand Cayman is closed march 27 ... and not that it's also closed jan 30th..we disagree. If they state in writing its closed march 27 .. they know. Still being sold to the caymans. Not everyone reads cc. .. we will have to disagree. I can show you they stated caymans is closed march 27 ...  

• Like 1

I've been hoping my March Glory Sailabration cruise switches to the Belize > Roatan route but it's still listed as going to GC and MB. I have two more sets of Mayan ruins I want to knock out in Belize and I'm not planning on scheduling another cruise there in the near future. Maybe 2023 if Jubilee goes there.

• Like 1

FWIW....Cayman just opened the airports to flights from US and Canada 2 days ago.

So welcoming land vacationers who are vaccinated at least.  Government there is very cautious.  One of the last if not the last Caribbean island to open to visitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I pretty much found the Cayman Islands to be about the most boring cruise port we ever visited.

Grand Cayman is our absolute favorite port. It is safe to walk around (unlike Jamaica or Belize), very clean (unlike Roatan) and the snorkeling/diving is absolutely amazing (WAY better than Costa Maya, Cozumel, Nassau, and much easier to get to than Roatan or Belize). Outside of cruising, already spent a week in Mexico, 2 weeks on Roatan, and 2 weeks in Belize. If the cruise ships stop going to Cayman, then will probably book a 2 week trip there as well. Pretty sure I will absolute NOT be bored.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

FWIW....Cayman just opened the airports to flights from US and Canada 2 days ago.

So welcoming land vacationers who are vaccinated at least.  Government there is very cautious.  One of the last if not the last Caribbean island to open to visitors.

Cuba has only recently allowed visitors but still no cruisers. Hoping that is on the horizon.

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not sure what Carnival planned, but things are not looking good.  Cayman’s better be careful, memories can run deep.

https://www.cruisehive.com/the-cayman-islands-says-no-cruise-ships-until-next-year/57783

This idle threat seems pretty immature.  I don't blame any country for wanting to best protect itself.

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Our excursion to "Hell" and the Turtle Farm was one of the best Caribbean excursions we've been on in 20 cruises and 30+ excursions.

As I said previously, I enjoyed the turtle farm. But finding that Hell was a souvenier shop was a turnoff to me.