Best wines to order on premium package

SSAtlantic

36 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

Emmolo merlot

- Joel

We like Emmolo also but on our cruise on the Edge last month there was a $10 per glass up-charge over the premium package.  Pre pandemic the upcharge was $5 per glass.  

6 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

Do all the ships carry the same wines in their cellars that are within the Packages?  

That's a good question. I think the list I'm looking at was from LGW59 (if not they'll correct me), and I don't remember which ship. I'd expect them to be 90%+ the same for economies of scale.

Looking at the list I have, and disagreeing with sticking with wine you know (think) you'll like (you're on a package; you don't have to drink it!), a few thoughts. I believe the version I'm looking at was from LGW59, but memory gets bad these days.

Premium package whites:

The most intriguing is probably the Elegance Chardonnay. It's a private label, so you're not going to find it anywhere else. Same for the Elegance Sauvignon Blanc. I'm not a big fan of the grapefruit you get in Marlborough, so I'd try the Elegance on principle. If you are, then that's likely a great wine. The Selbach Riesling has a lot of fans around here, but I've not had it.

The reds are all over the map. Decoy is generally a very nice cab. The Kiona Merlot is likewise intriguing as I'm a big fan of Columbia Valley, and Washington is to merlot as Napa is to cabernet sauvignon (given they have no Washington cab, which is a real shame...). I'm curious about the Elegance Pinot Noir, but the Cherry Tart isn't my style (It's a nice wine, but I prefer something more Burgundian). 

And @royalcruz and I have just demonstrated how much individual taste impacts wine choices and why you should try a little of as many as you can to find something you like. The three wines she mentioned are not my preference, but they may be yours. There's a cool YouTube whisk(e)y channel that has a tag line of the right way to drink whisk(e)y is the way you like it. Same with wine. Don't drink more than 2-3 at a sitting or you won't be able to taste the difference, but you're on a package, so don't be afraid to ask for a taste (small pour) if you don't want to throw away half a glass. Repeat until you find what you like.

Wine is meant to be enjoyed! Unless you're a professional in the business, there are no "wrong" answers, and I'm not sure there are wrong answers even then!

• Like 1

The only wine I enjoy having at dinner that I can get by the glass on a Celebrity cruise is a quality German Riesling Kabinett. A tasty German spatlese is also a desirable alternative, but you can only get it by the bottle, which means you have to purchase it.

Well, I used to love Jam Jar from South Africa, but because of the pandemic, Celebrity no longer offers it.

Did I mention I really don’t like acidic “dry” wines and that I was stationed in Germany for 7 years back in the 80s and fell in love with German white wines. 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser

7 hours ago, royalcruz said:

I drink Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc,  and my husband drinks Conundrum and Cherry Pie Pinot Noir. 

I just got of the Silly this past Monday after a 10 night Southern and the Villa Maria was my everyday lunch wine. Dinner I usually had the Elegance pinot or Decoy.  One evening tried the Layer cake primitivo which was quite nice.  On  the first night I asked my sommelier for recommendations and he said he can't recommendations and he said he can't recommend Italian  wines as he does not like them. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

I will cast another vote for the Conundrum. 

I was not really that impressed with the Cherry Pie Pino Noir.

Both are available at Costco if you care to try them before your sailing.

Following along for further recommendations.

The cherry pie is still listed as cherry tart on the wine menu. Tasted a sample - nothing special. I was actually disappointed in the offerings for the premium package. 

On the Apex recently, we dined in all 4 of the MDR’s as well as Eden and Fine Cut.  In each, we told the sommelier/wine steward what types of wine we enjoyed.  Each evening we were presented a wine that we tasted.  Only once was it not an excellent Duffey.  We dined 4 nights each in Cyprus and Normandie and after the second night, we were asked if we wanted the same wine or something different..  Excellent wine service!

To take full advantage of you drink package I would recommend that you advise the Sommelier (they will probably already know) that you have a premium package and tell them what you like or don't like in a wine.   They will work with you and and find the perfect wine for each meal or after dinner to compliment your meal.  Tell them you only want wines up to your package limit unless you know the overage cost.     They often may also pour a  more expensive wine complimentary if they have a bottle open with only one glass or two left.    They love working with you and share their extensive knowledge.

Remember that price doesn't always represent the best value if you don't like the wine.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

To take full advantage of you drink package I would recommend that you advise the Sommelier (they will probably already know) that you have a premium package and tell them what you like or don't like in a wine.   They will work with you and and find the perfect wine for each meal or after dinner to compliment your meal.  Tell them you only want wines up to your package limit unless you know the overage cost.     They often may also pour a  more expensive wine complimentary if they have a bottle open with only one glass or two left.    They love working with you and share their extensive knowledge.

Remember that price doesn't always represent the best value if you don't like the wine.  

I enjoyed the layer cake primitivo others did not like it. I had short ribs that night and found it paired well with my meal.

We always let the sommelier know we have the premium package and then tell him what each of us are getting for dinner. He will pair the wine with your meal.  Don’t like it? Order something else, the beauty of the drink package. 

We do love the Decoy Merlot and now buy it at home after first trying on Celebrity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jthans24 said:

We always let the sommelier know we have the premium package and then tell him what each of us are getting for dinner. He will pair the wine with your meal.  Don’t like it? Order something else, the beauty of the drink package. 

We do love the Decoy Merlot and now buy it at home after first trying on Celebrity.

Exactly what we do! 

The best wine service we tend to get is in Murano…Perhaps they have more time to spend with each customer? 

Before we had the wine package we used to ‘play safe’ and only order bottles we knew we liked. With the wine package we have really enjoyed trying new wines. Same applies to cocktails…

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Completely agree. I have found that virtually all of the people serving wine at a venue have better knowledge of the taste profiles of the wines on their list than do I. It would be a shame to miss a wonderful wine just because Cruise Critic participants had never heard of it.

“Good wine” is wine that you like. Take a little time to figure out what you like about a particular favorite, explain that to the person knowledgeable about the venue’s wine list, and see what new and potentially glorious experience awaits. 

Or, if not so glorious, send it back. Doesn’t cost any extra to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

I will cast another vote for the Conundrum. 

I was not really that impressed with the Cherry Pie Pino Noir.

Both are available at Costco if you care to try them before your sailing.

Following along for further recommendations.

Conundrum Red is my go to wine. Don’t like Conundrum White. The Conundrum Bubbles are interesting. FYI Conundrum is made by the folks that make Caymus. I do wish they carried Santa Margarita PInot Grigio (those are my two bottles that I bring on board)

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Conundrum Red is my go to wine. Don’t like Conundrum White. The Conundrum Bubbles are interesting. FYI Conundrum is made by the folks that make Caymus. I do wish they carried Santa Margarita PInot Grigio (those are my two bottles that I bring on board)

Love it!  Only tried the Conundrum Red (so far.)🤪

I believe Santa Margarita is available on Crystal ships.  (If that helps.)😁