The Daily for Sunday November 28, 2021

richwmn

Today is French Toast Day, Letter Writing Day, and Red Planet Day

The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun. - P. G. Wodehouse

Meal suggestion for today - Honey Pork Chops With Pears and Bourbon

Drink of the Day - Kensington Court Special

Wine of the day - Russiz Superiore 2016 Riserva Sauvignon (Collio) Northeastern Italy

Destination of the Day - Cartagena Colombia

Ships with Passengers

Bonaire, Dutch Antilles
Rotterdam 08:00 - 19:00

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida
Nieuw Statendam 07:00 - 16:00

Half Moon Cay BS
Nieuw Amsterdam 08:00 - 15:00

San Diego, California
Koningsdam 07:00 - 16:00

Willemstad, Curacao Island, Dutch Antilles
Eurodam 08:00 - 23:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Zuiderdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Noordam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1128NAmerica.thumb.png.b6940c1e718df7b3c4c4591de51a440a.png

1128Europe.thumb.png.06d8c300408754ebd0292faa8eeb1c3b.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's snowing!

Interesting days.  French toast sounds good, we haven't had that in ages.  I think I will write a few letters today, I'm doing Christmas cards and I often enclose a letter.  I don't know much about Mars, I guess today's the day to learn.

Love the quote and PG Wodehouse.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  I hope the drink and the wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone.  Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 26

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I'm not much of a letter writer and surprised the Red Planet has it's special day.  I love french toast, especially as prepared on a BHB.  The drink sounds nice and Cartagena is quite a popular port.  Love the Wodehouse quote.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
NW and BC flooding, mudslides, and people trapped between closures with diminishing supplies
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOHL results
Seasick Sailor friend Walker requesting a visit with daughters
57Redbird DJ Prostate surgery November 29
From the rotation:
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
Cruisin Terri Autoimmune problem
HAL Sailor DH health issues
cunnorl DH sister recovering from stroke

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A possibly final cruise for kakalina
5 BHB with passengers
3days for Lunanken and Rotterdam
5 days for Cruisin Terri (O Riveira)
6 days for Heartgrove Koningsdam
Front Line Health Care Workers            
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12) ,  and Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
Another week for Overhead Fred
Welcome home Jimgev
A new photo of Camila
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. I was up before the chickens again.

I am writing my final 6 letters today for our Christmas cards. 

Our Roy and our Jacqui and Jose are at the top of my prayer list. You both have done so much to bring joy to our Daily, it's time for our Daily-ites to bring Joy and prayer to you. God bless.

We have been to today's port, love the meal suggestion and the quote is well....

Can't recall the last time I had French toast.. 

Red Planet Day, Mars, has something to do with a spacecraft successfully orbiting the planet? I'm going to Google that..

Prayers, Cheers and Blessings 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a snowing freezing cold day in NE England.

It was the first Sunday of Lent today at church.

We are just about to go into a retail outlet.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days and quote.

Nice food and drink.

We have not been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

I said prayers 🙏 at church for our care list.

Take care everyone.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211128_115714.jpg

Screenshot_20211128_115648.jpg

16381011682786094936184294248462.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Afternoon from a damp and cool Cork.  5°C/41°F.   At least we don't have Graham's slushy white stuff.

@grapau27 Who wasn't listening properly in church? 😉. Its Advent, not Lent!! 😇unless I have been asleep for 3 months.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Don't forget your masks!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

An interesting collection of days. I like the quote and the meal.

I hope all those who celebrated had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did...my BIL left Friday night and my DD and her family left last night. My MIL is staying with us until we go to Florida around the 7th. We will stay with her for a couple days before heading towards Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise. Speaking of which we have received two notices over the past few days about ports being changed which also changes the schedule. So far three ports have been changed and people on the roll call are expecting Grand Turk to change since they have seen somewhere that it will not reopen in December.

My eye has improved greatly; back to the normal allergy reactions. We will be relaxing/resting today as well as talk about what we'd like to get done before we leave. Of course my main to do is packing. 😉

I have been and continue to pray for all on our prayer lists. I cannot say I am caught up with the Dailies, but am getting close.

Have a blessed Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 28

6 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

An interesting collection of days. I like the quote and the meal.

I hope all those who celebrated had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did...my BIL left Friday night and my DD and her family left last night. My MIL is staying with us until we go to Florida around the 7th. We will stay with her for a couple days before heading towards Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise. Speaking of which we have received two notices over the past few days about ports being changed which also changes the schedule. So far three ports have been changed and people on the roll call are expecting Grand Turk to change since they have seen somewhere that it will not reopen in December.

My eye has improved greatly; back to the normal allergy reactions. We will be relaxing/resting today as well as talk about what we'd like to get done before we leave. Of course my main to do is packing. 😉

I have been and continue to pray for all on our prayer lists. I cannot say I am caught up with the Dailies, but am getting close.

Have a blessed Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Please list the schedule changes here, or email them to me so that my fleet report is correct.

email is my screen name here at gmail

thanks

• Like 19

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! French toast used to be our traditional Christmas morning breakfast.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Though the temp here is the same as yesterday, it feels so much warmer without the wind! Lots of stuff on the list today. Next weekend is decorating weekend, so this weekend is put everything away to make room! Though over the years there is less and less to put away as I try to simplify my world. The meal sounds delicious. Though I have leftovers that need to be finished today. And we have a white wine today! Off to the gym. I suspect all the celebrations have tipped the scale a bit. 😎

I need this app for my phone….
145C160A-EE83-41E2-AC5C-B0D245490BFA.jpeg.9238e3183773f2e18848a5af8764e787.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Russiz Superiore 2016 Riserva Sauvignon (Collio) Northeastern Italy

This Italian white wine is a surprise and sounds lovely! Several online distributors with prices starting at $32.14.

Winemaker info

Burgundy has Ramonet and Coche-Dury. California’s got Kongsgaard, and the Loire has Dagueneau. To the short list of white wine producers that evoke immediate reverence among wine lovers the world over, we’d add Felluga. 

The Northern Italian clan has earned a cult-like following for the sublime wines they produce from their pristine terroir, and the 2016 Sauvignon Riserva Russiz Superiore Collio manages to capture their magic in one bottle. Boasting Tre Bicchieri honors, a 95-point Editors’ Choice review from Wine Enthusiast, and a top-40 showing in the Enthusiast 100, this is a wine that stands with the great Sauvignon Blancs of Sancerre and Bordeaux.

It also stands alone: Enthusiast summed it up as “a benchmark for Italian whites,” and after just one swirl, you’ll know you’re in for a special experience. Boasting a bright golden core after four years of aging, it delivers layers of steeped chamomile flowers, starfruit, and fresh-cut green pineapple, all accented with baking spice. The mouthfeel is grand and generously textured, with waves of guava and Sicilian lemon zest touched by roasted Marcona almonds, all riding a jolt of vibrant acidity to an extremely long and satisfying finish. 

The few showpiece Sauvignon Blancs that can be counted among the world’s great wines—we’re thinking of Dagueneau’s Silex ($149) and Lail’s Georgia ($151)—are well worth their lofty prices, and that makes Felluga’s Russiz Superiore an outright steal. Today we’ve got a tiny allocation, and it's not destined to last long. 

The Sauvignon Blanc is raised on soils from the Eocene era that once comprised the ocean floor. These soils are impermeable, so rainwater flows off their surface, which minimizes erosion and eliminates standing water, adding to the gorgeous concentration of the grapes. 

The Sauvignon Riserva is hand-harvested, and includes 5% of grapes that are overripe, which imparts the gorgeous body of this wine. It’s fermented in a combination of stainless steel (70%) and the rest in oak barrels that contribute to the wine’s beautiful golden depth—something that’s enhanced by three years on the lees, and one year in bottle. 

The Felluga family has a lineage that dates to the late 1800s, when Michele Felluga started buying and selling wines in Istria. His son Marco then expanded the business, growing and producing wine on the family farm just south of Trieste, before his son Giovanni continued the trade. But after World War II, their land became part of Soviet-dominated Yugoslavia, and they made Collio in Friuli their new home. 

Two of Giovanni’s children, Livio and Marco, established wineries in the area, and have gone on to become winemaking titans. Marco founded his in 1956, and now helmed by his son Roberto, the operation focuses 75% on white wine from Collio Goriziano, a stretch that's situated on the hilly border with Slovenia. 

Now, four years after harvest, this bottle is shining with stunning Sauvignon Blanc concentration, cellar-earned depth, and all the characteristics that make it a European benchmark for white wine. Age-worthy, perfect to pair with vegetables and seafood, and endlessly fascinating on its own, this is Sauvignon Blanc at its very best. We only have a tiny sliver of an allocation, so act accordingly.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂

French toast - yum 😋 Guess I will be celebrating letter writing since I have to start Christmas cards & notes.

Wodehouse sure had it right with that quote.

@JAM37so glad to hear that you eye has improved 👍 

thank you for your kind thoughts @cat shepard@summer slope@dobiemom@rafinmd@Cruise Suzy@puppycanducruise@smitty34877@bennybear

We absolutely loved Cartagena, Columbia.  Wonderful place.  My only regret is that it is usually a short stop.  It would be wonderful if the stop here was a full day as there is so much to see and enjoy 👍 

For our CC friends with cats and debating whether to put up a real tree or not 😉

74CE35FC-E577-41B2-BD97-DAB4A9B2DD6A.thumb.jpeg.00d283dba3d0c1e44e717bbf3c992866.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday, everyone !!!!!

7736193E-B8DD-4F45-94BB-932E6046FBCD.jpeg.daf81b3435bf9d887884d2d44e59d064.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Please list the schedule changes here, or email them to me so that my fleet report is correct.

email is my screen name here at gmail

thanks

Rich, did you get mine? Rotterdam:

ITINERARY CHANGE NOTIFICATION
Due to the Fort de France, Martinique port closure the Daylight passing of
Mount Pelee on December 28 has been canceled and the call to Fort de France,
Martinique on December 28 has been replaced with a call to Roseau, Dominica
from 08:00 to 17:00.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Rich, did you get mine? Rotterdam:

ITINERARY CHANGE NOTIFICATION
Due to the Fort de France, Martinique port closure the Daylight passing of
Mount Pelee on December 28 has been canceled and the call to Fort de France,
Martinique on December 28 has been replaced with a call to Roseau, Dominica
from 08:00 to 17:00.

Yes, thanks

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Afternoon from a damp and cool Cork.  5°C/41°F.   At least we don't have Graham's slushy white stuff.

@grapau27 Who wasn't listening properly in church? 😉. Its Advent, not Lent!! 😇unless I have been asleep for 3 months.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Don't forget your masks!

We are -2 C 29 F in Naperville but no snow.  Tis the 1st Sunday in Advent.  The current Master of the Nieuw Statendam is a native of Cork.  .There is a native of Cork who is a priest who spends a lot of time in Medjugorje.  Met him when I was there.

• Like 17

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  French toast is a good thing, although I don’t make it very often.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I’d like to see @dfish recipes.  I survived DH’s trip to the Lego store, he got his new AT AT that was just released.  I didn’t do much yesterday as I’m trying to avoids the stores and crowds.  
I will say that this weekend’s news had me flashing back to March 2020.  I certainly hope that things remain open and our December cruise happens as planned.

I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Being in the Central Time Zone has been bringing me to our gathering later than usual the past few days. Hats off to French Toast, letter writing and Mars.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds very good.  The quote makes sense to me.  Have not been to today’s port and looking forward to seeing the photos.  We’re off to St. John’s university to visit a close friend who had been one of DH’s professors in the 1970’s. He has made a remarkable recovery from a fall this summer and had been in hospice not expecting to make it at that time; quite a resilient monk is he!  Prayers to everyone on our prayer list today, including our friend Father Rene.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events. Safe travels to everyone doing so.

• Like 23

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

When I was young, I use to love the French Toast that my Irish grandmother made. One time she brought me along on her annual trip to Chicago's City Hall to pay the real estate taxes. On that outing we also went to see "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" (Sean Connery's first starring role!). But before that stopped for lunch at a slightly posh restaurant for lunch. I remember I ordered French Toast. I didn't care for it as it was not my grandmother's French Toast!

Yesterday was our Turkey Day and Sam got to share with a few pieces of the bird. For being a big dog he iis very gentle taking a treat from your hand. Unlike Juno where we would count fingers after giving her a treat! Stll miss her as she was a part of our previous five Thanksgivings.

Sam

1127211813a.thumb.jpg.1f8ab2b3cecc2edb533d212a973e9ffe.jpg

Juno

FB_IMG_1638105938786.jpg.caba3f767ae8cd7c78afec86ae1eb628.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 30