The Daily for Monday November 29, 2021

richwmn

Good morning  everyone. I am one of those odd folks who does not particularly  care for chocolate  so all of you can have my portion.I remember  squareI dancing as a child and enjoying it. I like the quote but it required some use of the brain prior to coffee!

The recipe looks fabulous, thanks Debbie  @dfish.

The pictures of today's  port are just so beautiful, thanks for the pictures so far.I will continue  to dream of going there someday.

Terry

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Lots will be celebrating chocolate day I”m sure as well as Cyber Monday 😉 Today is the first full day of Hanukkah - Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. 

9F522971-B716-4305-93FD-E3124129E367.jpeg.7fdecb5ce6afef6fd3d88803b26512d9.jpeg

Still digesting the quote 😉. Great meal suggestion.  We have left over prime rib so that will be on the menu tonight and salmon later this week.

Looks like we have a major snow incident coming 😔 Hope the worst of it holds off until I can get DH to his appointment.  Time will tell 🤞 While I love flowers, this weather puts me in this mood:

EA26FC18-EC9D-4ED2-9454-844AFB5A0663.thumb.jpeg.f73424006e5a57738849dc2fddabb63c.jpeg

Have been to French Polynesia but not today’s port so I will have wait for pictures.  

ooh a white wine today  Yum.  👍 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone !!!!!

2BCE318C-7765-40A5-B9D2-ABC0F43D9FFD.jpeg.974aa709b820e9f761808445841561b7.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷  

Prayers 🙏 for a successful appointment for your DH and that the snow holds off until you get back home 

Graham

• Like 15

Good morning to all. Enjoyed the recipe from summer slope for a Manhattan, which brought back fond memories from the late1980s. 

My friend and then co-worker used to take me to beautiful Army Navy Country Club near the Pentagon (her husband was on the staff of the Joint Chiefs) for drinks now and then. What a treat! She always ordered a “V.O. Manhattan, straight up” so I followed suit. Wonderful waiters in white jackets brought the drinks, which tasted extra-good in such beautiful surroundings. I haven’t had one since - maybe I’ll order one on January’s HAL cruise.

• Like 24

Good Morning All,

We’re expecting our landscape crew any moment. Saturday they spread some of the finest bovine product in the area that gets grass. It’s a good thing I didn’t throw out the remnants of plastic fencing, as DH strung them up as a fence to remind our Golden to stay out. Regardless, I have to watch him as he is stubborn and wants to investigate and roll.

We’ll have today’s dinner suggestion tonight. I’m so tired of turkey. @Vict0riann here’s another suggestion for your upcoming TJ initiation. I normally slather this on the salmon and bake. Our family loves it. It’s good on a sandwich too!

4965E279-D5FE-4CC4-A02C-A99754414B70.thumb.jpeg.10e8bf26e52264bfcede0c85ec89658c.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. Still getting adapted to Pacific time. Always getting a late start.

We arrived back to our son and DIL home yesterday. Son has a Tesla and I must say I’m impressed with the car but get a little edgy when he puts it on auto-pilot!

@kazu I must have missed something about your Jose but will pray, all will be well. 

We have been to today’s destination as it was a port of call on our last cruise ever on the MS Maasdam from Auckland to San Francisco. Will look for some pics.

I was told last night we are having salmon tonight so is this like hitting the lottery on the Daily?

We are here for the week and with everyone working and no car I’ll be doing a lot of reading.

Thanks Rich and to all our reporters for my Daily read.

• Like 24

Good morning.  Chocolate, square dancing and some white wine (or Manhattan) would make a great party.  
It will be a quiet day here. Cyber Monday internet shopping is a possibility, although I’m just about finished with Christmas shopping.  Better check the list again.  Beyond that, it will be a rest day after a lot of holiday prep.

@Cruising-alongand fellow Villager, my village is up.  They are hard to photograph.  This shows part of it.  It’s basically a smash-up of Harry Potter’s Hogsmeade meets English village.  DD made a platform for me.  She bought the special foam cutting tools and so on to make them.  

So this is a bit of holiday spirit from our house.  I hope everyone has a lovely day today.  Keeping our care list close to heart.

20C75339-8737-4AE9-A41F-56FC4C5C7D4E.thumb.jpeg.506e59c791a4176b44a044dd126b5423.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Chocolate can be a trigger for a migraine headache for me, so I have to be careful and limit portions.

My DW loves chocolate but says she cannot show any self-control if it is easily available, so I hide her Lindt chocolates from Lindor and just give her one a day. A few days ago, I realized I had run out of chocolates for her and I didn't want to drive to the nearest store (35 miles) on Black Friday and fight the crowds in the store. I made a batch of fudge to hold her over. That is a little harder to hide 🙂

• Like 20
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Afternoon Roy.

Thank you for my inclusion on the rotation.

I have received a day appointment on 24th December for my BCC op at our local hospital.

Pre-op nasal covid19 swab on 21-12 🤞.

Graham.

Glad to hear it is now scheduled.  Prayers all goes well 🙏🏻 

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Prayers for my younger daughter who is having a basal cell carcinoma removed today.

Prayers are winging her way 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@kazu Thinking of you and Jose. Hope the appointment goes well. Xx

Thank you

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Prayers 🙏 for a successful appointment for your DH and that the snow holds off until you get back home 

Thank you

32 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

@kazu I must have missed something about your Jose but will pray, all will be well. 

Thank you.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. I have a little dark chocolate most days. I haven’t square danced since elementary PE. Love the salmon recipe. I will save it for another day. I already made a cyber Monday purchase. 2 new pj sets from Soma. I will pass on the cocktail but I love sauvignon blanc from NZ. I wonder how the ones from Chile compare?  Never been to French Polynesia, the color of the water is amazing! Thanks for the photos. I am having a bit of trouble planning our next October cruise on New Statendam. I can find my booking on the website but I downloaded the Navigator app and it won’t show up there. It directs me to call a number but I can’t get through. Part of the Have it All promo is dinner for 2 for specialty dining. Is it possible to go twice, using one free and one paid each night?  
Prayers for all on the Cares list. Hopefully it gets shorter soon. Wishing you all a good day!

Nancy

• Like 19

Good morning all!

Well we had yesterday's bourbon pork chops last night and it was indeed very tasty, a big hit with DH!  A little sweeter than I should have, so it won't be on the menu often. 

Not a fan of honey mustard, so won't be having any salmon prepared that way.  I prefer just garlic and lemon on mine. 🙂  

Chocolate day is every day here.  @HAL4NOWyou are a wonderful husband.  My DH does that for me too (at my request) because I have NO self control when it comes to chocolate.  @smitty34877I will gladly take any chocolate off your hands. 🤣

I had square dancing as part of my PE in grade school, and my parents were in a club for years.  Like @ger_77's Dad, my DD also called dances. I loved seeing all the beautiful dresses the ladies wore.  My friends and I would play "dress up" in them 😉  

We won't be doing anything about Cyber Monday today, but did take advantage of HAL and Celebrity's Black Friday sales.  We saved $1,000 on our Celebrity cruise and changed to a better cabin.  

Chilean Sauvignon Blanc can be very good, I'm pretty sure I've had this wine before too. Will pass on the drink, and have never been to Polynesia (came close, but canceled that cruise and booked something else). 

@Heartgroveprayers for your DD as she has her basal cell carcinoma removed today.

@jimgevthank you for telling us a bit about your cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.  My favorite ship. 

@AncientWandererwow wow WOW!  I love your village!  I agree, it's difficult to photograph them.  So clever of your DD to make that foam platform, it looks so real!  Thanks so much for posting the photo.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Chocolate is a basic food group.  DH brought home some cookies from a hospital fund raiser that are filled with chocolate, I’ll be sure to have one to celebrate.  Use morning catching upon work emails. @dfish your recipes look good and I’d consider giving them a try if they were on the menu, with wine of course!😁 No cyber Monday shopping here.  Holiday shopping is completed.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

image.png.9cf17756cca67b678bf58aa2e35d722f.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 12

Good morning, all.  I'm here fairly early for me - so far only page 2 for the Daily News.  Hoping for a good appointment for Jacqui's DH, and Heartgrove's DD.  Top news is Chocolate Day as far as I am concerned.  Our best chocolate here is from Roger's, and their Victoria creams are about 2 inches across and must be 1,000 calories each.  Just amazing. 

1169871399_ScreenShot2021-11-29at8_57_15AM.thumb.jpeg.abc3c33fcb1a1636f4528c0362808b7e.jpeg

I'm another one who square danced when young - in boarding school, I think the nuns did the calling.  We had salmon a couple of days ago so won't do it again for a bit, but I'll make a note of the recipe.   It isn't raining right now, but we are expecting a third atmospheric river tomorrow.  After a summer where the reservoir was depleted to, I think, 50%, we must now be 100%, and it will have filled up the fastest on record - it usually takes until mid-December.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nancynana9950 said:

Part of the Have it All promo is dinner for 2 for specialty dining. Is it possible to go twice, using one free and one paid each night?

You should be able to do it online once the Specialty Dining reservations open. If you have any problems, you can call Dining Reservations 1-800-541-1576 or 1-206-626-8602, Monday - Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm (Pacific Time)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Chocolate, indeed, now I'm excited - last Christmas a California cousin sent us a gift card for See's - and I have been waiting anxiously to get to San Diego to cash it in, but now we've cancelled our February cruise, I checked on line to see if there is a See's Candies in Bellingham, and there is a seasonal one, and it looks like it is close to TJ's!  So maybe soon we will be enjoying some of those special chocolates... (my shopping list is getting longer..)  Just hope the roads aren't all washed out between here and there.  

• Like 21

3 hours ago, kb4683 said:

In 2018 we took Maasdam's 34-day "Kon Tiki" cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Papeete.  Like Sandi @StLouisCruisers said if you don't take the pearl farm excursion, you are on your own.  The day before, we stopped at Fakarava where we rented bicycles and I had a slight "mishap" and was pretty sore the next day or two.  I honestly do not know what we did that day and only have photos taken from the ship or tender.

October 11, 2018

DSC00482.thumb.jpg.a3d08f78932bc4b21aa3e5475a325b72.jpg

DSC00485.thumb.jpg.04e914873f858a2334548c78e5546b5c.jpg

DSC00492.thumb.jpg.b8121fd73c16d67be525ae9f9b9a4c64.jpg

Kay

Kay, your photos are so intensely blue!  It's a real shame you couldn't enjoy your stop in Avatoru.  Maybe you'll make it back there.  If DH and I get back there I'm signing up for the pearl farm.  If anyone has been on that tour I hope we get to see some photos to see what we missed.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Haven't tried to square dance in decades.  A LITTLE chocolate (especially dark) is healthy.  Cyber Monday seems to be Cyber Month now.  I like the Nin quote but will pass on the salmon.  Rangoria sounds familiar.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
NW and BC flooding, mudslides, and people trapped between closures with diminishing supplies
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOHL results
Seasick Sailor friend Walker requesting a visit with daughters
57Redbird DH Prostate surgery TODAY
Strength for Cunnorl, DH, and family on passing of SIL
JazzyV’s best friends MOHS surgery on Nov. 30th
From the rotation:
LaPalma
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
My travel agent with an esophageal blockage
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Hannukah through 12/6
5 BHB with passengers
2 days for Lunanken and Rotterdam
4 days for Cruisin Terri (O Riveira)
6 days for Heartgrove Koningsdam
Front Line Health Care Workers            
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12) ,  and Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
Another week for Overhead Fred
Welcome home Jimgev
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for both lists, Roy.   A lot of people need prayers. I heard that Sabine is on the K'DAM.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

I woke up to a covering of freshly fallen snow.  It looks pretty, but ends there.  Nothing much planned here except a trip to the grocery store this morning and then to the pool this afternoon.

Today's meal is a good one and I may just pick up some salmon at the store today.  Valerie Bertinelli leads us off today with a basic recipe for honey mustard salmon.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/valerie-bertinelli/baked-salmon-with-honey-mustard-sauce-3097803

1034986075_HoneyMustardSalmonBertinelli.jpeg.6a37f98e928f8ef8361a312bf687eb80.jpeg

This next one uses a few different seasonings and gives directions for baking and grilling.  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/honey-mustard-salmon-recipe/

Honey-Mustard-Salmon-Recipe-5.thumb.jpg.b35482a94e99556df22b7d48c26e0b29.jpg

Lastly, we have directions for cooking the salmon in foil and then broiling for a few minutes to get the nice finish.  I like cooking in foil as the cleanup is so much easier!   

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/honey-mustard-salmon-in-foil/

Honey-Mustard-Salmon-In-Foil-Recipe-6-1.thumb.jpg.461b63ba1a291cf0b26df7ce75ad4440.jpg

Kind of fidhu but goof and salmon is very healthy.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 MS Prinsendam Amazon Adventure.  On November 29 we visited Road Town, Tortola, BVI:

dawn1129.jpg

Roy

Thank you Roy. I enjoy seeing your sunrise/sunset photos as much as I enjoy seeing photos of the ports of the day. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, summer slope said:

Quick post of the drink of the day.  Will be back later.

Manhattan:

A Manhattan is a cocktail made with whiskey, sweet vermouth, and bitters. While rye is the traditional whiskey of choice, other commonly used whiskies include Canadian whisky, bourbon, blended whiskey, and Tennessee whiskey. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Whisky
Ingredients: 2 oz Rye or Canadian whisky, 3/4 oz Sweet red vermouth, Dash Angostura bitters, Maraschino cherry (Garnish)
Preparation: Stirred over ice, strained into a chilled glass, garnished, and served straight up.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Cherry
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 8.25.03 AM.png

I have had them but prefer a whiskey sour.  When I have one Jim Beam whiskey was used.   

• Like 7

Good morning and thanks all!  Happy chocolate day!  My supply of presidents choice dark chocolate is getting low,  I must check if Lindt has a sale today! Rogers and Sees are both favourites.  But may I recommend a pilgrimage trip to Bruges!  We spent many happy days there and in the Champagne region.  

I love the sales, checked out the Soma thanks!  

praying for good news @kazu

should have been to Rangiroa in 2020 but we all know how that went!  

• Like 17

I hve been to Rangiroa; March 2011 aboard the previous Rotterdam which was a marvelous ship. Did the pearl tour and bought a pair of earrings, also we stopped for refreshments at a small restaurant where I bought several pareos. Unfortunately I have no photos to post. 

Todays meal looks good as do the chocolates. My favorite chocolatier is Ethel Mars Factory in Las Vegas.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 20