The Daily for Monday November 29, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. Happy Hanukkah to those celebrating.

Hooray for chocolates! Haven't square danced since elementary school. I've made my one cyber Monday purchase of a friend's cookbook; supports a small business.

Profound quote.

I'll pass on everything today - salmon, the drink and wine. I'll be eating the last of the turkey tonight. I need to make soup or broth with the carcass.

I haven't been to today's destination. Thanks for the pictures.

Busy morning. I just had breakfast, although coffee was hours ago. I first wanted to start measuring out some of the ingredients for my German fruit bread. I'll make later in the week; it has to sit for a couple of weeks to meld the flavors. Then I wanted to make my Chicken Taco Chili in the slow cooker. I plan to take some to my friend's house when I pick him up tomorrow, so he won't have to worry about making dinner later. I'll have to leave home around 6:30AM. There's some overnight snow forecast, but hopefully light. I'll also be driving in darkness for the first time in 2 years and have to watch out for deer. But it'll be fine.

@57redbird Prayers for your DH today.

@grapau27 Chocolates day is perfect for you! Hmmm on Christmas Eve for your appointment.

@kazu Good thoughts for you and DH.

@Heartgrove Prayers for your DD.

@rafinmd Beautiful sunrise!

@mamaofami I hope therapy goes well for you both.

@AncientWanderer Thanks for showing us the village; it looks great.

Prayers for the care list and a toast to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

should have been to Rangiroa in 2020 but we all know how that went! 

I was supposed to have been there on the Crystal Serenity but missed it for a different reason.  I was on the Crystal Serenity and the itinerary called for 6 days at sea, Los Angeles to Nuka Hiva.  The second night out we had a medical emergency and our best option was to turn back East to Cabo, arriving 1 1/2 days later.  Rangiroa was the port we had to skip due to the lost time.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Good, well, afternoon, all! Chocolates are always in season! Like Gerry, I learned square dancing in school, though I’ve never used it since. I’m not planning to buy anything on Cyber Monday, but the day isn’t over yet!

Coming to Salt Spring was the right call. The  Nooksack River has gone over its banks and flooded the Sumas area, again, so Canada Highway is closed again. The people on the Canadian side of the border knew the water was coming when the flood sirens in Sumas on the American side went off. I feel so bad for all of them, regardless of which side of the imaginary political line their home is on. Chilliwack is OK, but is now under water restrictions related to potential flooding with the greater rain storm due tomorrow. I’m hoping we can get to North Vancouver next weekend to see our great niece perform in the Nutcracker.

Happy Monday, on behalf of our beloved BHBs and their elevator mats!

607D336D-3FBF-48E5-A757-6BFA45B6CFA6.thumb.jpeg.1dc046b62fb7ff948237ea8a41b8abfd.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Happy Monday to all.  Will try to post here, as have had some problems in last few days!  Probably what I had to say wasn't that important anyway!  Many thanks to Rich, Roy, Wine, Drink and Recipe contributors for making this place so special.  I read every day, even if I don't manage to post!

Well, my day is complete knowing that it is Chocolate Day.  My favorite is Fannie May from Chicago!  My DH introduced me to that the first Christmas we were married (50 years ago).  Even now since he has passed, I still get a box at Christmas from his niece.  When everyone was discussing areas of Chicago yesterday, my DH was born and raised on the Southside, but was a life-long Cubs fan!  

My "Cyber-Monday" consisted of finally getting to the HAL site (late last evening) to book my shore excursions for January/February.  I just feel more comfortable using ship excursions as an elderly single woman.  Last time I did a partial Canal trip our bus was late returning to the ship in Costa Rica, so the ship was held for us!

Both of my younger sisters participated for several years in a large youth square dancing program in our small town in Eastern Colorado.  They both attended National Square Dance conventions to strut their stuff!

My prayers go out for all in need of prayers today.  Hat's off to those celebrating.  Have a great rest of the day, everyone!

• Like 20

I am another one that reads more than posts. Rather dull existence here. My outing today was to the Post Office early to avoid crowds as I am nearly out of stamps. The pickings were slim and no holiday stamps. People are going to be lucky to get cards and letters this year I think. Email seems to have taken over.

Sunny and dry here. Our mountain lion seems to be off somewhere else on this circuit. I will continue to avoid the hill in back.... too much brush and too many trees so I can't really see what is there.

Bandit and I wish everyone a good day.... and stay healthy!!!

Susan

• Like 19

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Glad to hear it is now scheduled.  Prayers all goes well 🙏🏻 

Prayers are winging her way 🙏🏻 

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you.

Thank you Jacqui.

I hope Jose had a successful appointment today and you avoided the snow.

Graham.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Kay, your photos are so intensely blue!  It's a real shame you couldn't enjoy your stop in Avatoru.  Maybe you'll make it back there.  If DH and I get back there I'm signing up for the pearl farm.  If anyone has been on that tour I hope we get to see some photos to see what we missed.

Sandi, those photos happened to be taken by DH with his Sony DSLR.  My little point and shoot Fuji takes good pictures, but not like that Sony.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Sandi, those photos happened to be taken by DH with his Sony DSLR.  My little point and shoot Fuji takes good pictures, but not like that Sony.

Well his camera did a nice job of capturing the beauty.  I find the new cell phone cameras are excellent!  I used to limit the number of photos I took with my cell phone until we replaced it with one with tons more storage space.  I use it all the time now!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have had a great time visiting with my sister and family. Tomorrow my sister will take me to the airport leaving at 4:30.  I have my test results done and boarding pass printed. In two days i will be boarding the Rotterdam. And I will be seeing some of you soon. Take care of yourselves and happy holidays to all.

• Like 22

Thank you all for the prayers for DH --- surgery is done but they're keeping him overnight....the only reason for the same day surgery that was cancelled for October was Covid....now I can actually go in the hospital, which I did for 4 long hours waiting for the MD to talk to me after he was through, but I never did see him.  He'll be home sometime tomorrow & I get to put on my RN cap for another round.

Thanks for the info & pics of the port of the day -- we're headed there in 2023.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Thank you all for the prayers for DH --- surgery is done but they're keeping him overnight....the only reason for the same day surgery that was cancelled for October was Covid....now I can actually go in the hospital, which I did for 4 long hours waiting for the MD to talk to me after he was through, but I never did see him.  He'll be home sometime tomorrow & I get to put on my RN cap for another round.

Thanks for the info & pics of the port of the day -- we're headed there in 2023.

Glad all is over. Sleep well. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hello all, late to the table as we were en route home from Minneapolis where an excellent time was had by all. Love chocolate day, square dancing, cyber Monday, not so much.  Excellent quote today.  I’ll take the Manhattan please especially with a Luxardo cherry in it.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

So happy that worry is over.  You'll be a great support to him when he's home.  Take care!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It's  a sunny day, temperature 17 C.

Thanks for all the daily reports, humour, recipes and photos.

Re Choclate day, we always have some Whittakers chocolate in the house, (it is made in Wellington) 

@AncientWanderer thanks for sharing the photo of your delightful Christmas village.

@lindaler Bon Voyage.

@57redbirdthanks for the update of your DH, you will be pleased to have him home tomorrow.

@Heartgrovehow is your DD after the surgery?

@kazuhope you were able to  safely get through the snow for your DH's appointment. Sending positive thoughts to you both.

Finally finished  decorating our Christmas Tree.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, erewhon said:

Thank you for asking. She is doing very well and has been given an all clear, everything excised. No return visit required but has stitches that will dissolve in 7-10 days - and swelling like a large goose egg! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, erewhon said:

It's  a sunny day, temperature 17 C.

Thanks for all the daily reports, humour, recipes and photos.

Re Choclate day, we always have some Whittakers chocolate in the house, (it is made in Wellington) 

@AncientWanderer thanks for sharing the photo of your delightful Christmas village.

@lindaler Bon Voyage.

@57redbirdthanks for the update of your DH, you will be pleased to have him home tomorrow.

@kazuhope you were able to  safely get through the snow for your DH's appointment. Sending positive thoughts to you both.

Finally finished  decorating our Christmas Tree.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Yum!  We purchased Whittakers chocolate bars while there and not only enjoyed them ourselves but handed them out to our trusty crew members who were so helpful to us.  They were extremely thankful for those delicious chocolates.  🍫

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

So glad to hear it is done and he has recovered from the surgery. 👍 

Remember to take care of yourself while you have your RN cap on.  Caregiving can be exhausting. ♥️ 

10 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks. Didn’t happen.  Dh felt the snow was too slippery when he saw the accidents.  I assured him I had been down the driveway and it wasn’t bad and I could do it. I didn’t want an argument so I cancelled - it wasn’t a crucial one that would help.  I’m learning to save my battles 😉 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Happy chocolate day!  My supply of presidents choice dark chocolate is getting low,  I must check if Lindt has a sale today! Rogers and Sees are both favourites.  But may I recommend a pilgrimage trip to Bruges!  We spent many happy days there and in the Champagne region.  

I love the sales, checked out the Soma thanks!  

praying for good news @kazu

should have been to Rangiroa in 2020 but we all know how that went!  

When doing a TA on Prinsendam back in 2016  I signed up for the chocolate tour in Bruges. Not enough other people signed up (!!) so it didn't go. 😞

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

So this is a bit of holiday spirit from our house.  I hope everyone has a lovely day today.  Keeping our care list close to heart.

20C75339-8737-4AE9-A41F-56FC4C5C7D4E.thumb.jpeg.506e59c791a4176b44a044dd126b5423.jpeg

Maxine, your village is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing it with us!

10 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Our best chocolate here is from Roger's, and their Victoria creams are about 2 inches across and must be 1,000 calories each.  Just amazing. 

1169871399_ScreenShot2021-11-29at8_57_15AM.thumb.jpeg.abc3c33fcb1a1636f4528c0362808b7e.jpeg

DD, who lives in Taiwan now, used to work at Rogers Chocolates. I still love those Victoria Creams, but I don’t get them for Mother’s Day any more.😔

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nancynana9950 said:

Good morning everyone. I have a little dark chocolate most days. I haven’t square danced since elementary PE. Love the salmon recipe. I will save it for another day. I already made a cyber Monday purchase. 2 new pj sets from Soma. I will pass on the cocktail but I love sauvignon blanc from NZ. I wonder how the ones from Chile compare?  Never been to French Polynesia, the color of the water is amazing! Thanks for the photos. I am having a bit of trouble planning our next October cruise on New Statendam. I can find my booking on the website but I downloaded the Navigator app and it won’t show up there. It directs me to call a number but I can’t get through. Part of the Have it All promo is dinner for 2 for specialty dining. Is it possible to go twice, using one free and one paid each night?  
Prayers for all on the Cares list. Hopefully it gets shorter soon. Wishing you all a good day!

Nancy

Try logging out of the Navigator app and log back in.  I was having trouble with the app, it thought I was going on the Koningsdam (which I did but last month) instead of the Rotterdam (which is in 3 weeks). Logging out and back in fixed that. 

9 hours ago, lazey1 said:

I hve been to Rangiroa; March 2011 aboard the previous Rotterdam which was a marvelous ship. Did the pearl tour and bought a pair of earrings, also we stopped for refreshments at a small restaurant where I bought several pareos. Unfortunately I have no photos to post. 

Todays meal looks good as do the chocolates. My favorite chocolatier is Ethel Mars Factory in Las Vegas.

Jane

Jane, I love Ethel M!  I’ve been to the Las Vegas factory also and I can’t walk out of the airport without buying some. The best chocolate!!

6 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Happy Monday to all.  Will try to post here, as have had some problems in last few days!  Probably what I had to say wasn't that important anyway!  Many thanks to Rich, Roy, Wine, Drink and Recipe contributors for making this place so special.  I read every day, even if I don't manage to post!

Well, my day is complete knowing that it is Chocolate Day.  My favorite is Fannie May from Chicago!  My DH introduced me to that the first Christmas we were married (50 years ago).  Even now since he has passed, I still get a box at Christmas from his niece.  When everyone was discussing areas of Chicago yesterday, my DH was born and raised on the Southside, but was a life-long Cubs fan!  

My "Cyber-Monday" consisted of finally getting to the HAL site (late last evening) to book my shore excursions for January/February.  I just feel more comfortable using ship excursions as an elderly single woman.  Last time I did a partial Canal trip our bus was late returning to the ship in Costa Rica, so the ship was held for us!

Both of my younger sisters participated for several years in a large youth square dancing program in our small town in Eastern Colorado.  They both attended National Square Dance conventions to strut their stuff!

My prayers go out for all in need of prayers today.  Hat's off to those celebrating.  Have a great rest of the day, everyone!

May I ask where in Eastern Colorado you are from?  That’s where I’m from. I lived in Brush and Limon. I have tons of relatives there still.  However, I don’t miss the snow. 

5 hours ago, lindaler said:

I have had a great time visiting with my sister and family. Tomorrow my sister will take me to the airport leaving at 4:30.  I have my test results done and boarding pass printed. In two days i will be boarding the Rotterdam. And I will be seeing some of you soon. Take care of yourselves and happy holidays to all.

Linda, safe travels!  See you soon!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yum!  We purchased Whittakers chocolate bars while there and not only enjoyed them ourselves but handed them out to our trusty crew members who were so helpful to us.  They were extremely thankful for those delicious chocolates.  🍫

We also give chocolate to crew members, one was so pleased to receive it, that he said he would keep it to take home, so of course we gave him a second bar.

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks. Didn’t happen.  Dh felt the snow was too slippery when he saw the accidents.  I assured him I had been down the driveway and it wasn’t bad and I could do it. I didn’t want an argument so I cancelled - it wasn’t a crucial one that would help.  I’m learning to save my battles 😉 

Yes, It's easier to save the battles, thinking of you both.

(Managed to do a multi quote, thanks to you for your helpful instructions.

Thank you again.)

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Pleased to hear his op is over.

Prayers 🙏 it has been very successful.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

We also give chocolate to crew members, one was so pleased to receive it, that he said he would keep it to take home, so of course we gave him a second bar.

Yes, It's easier to save the battles, thinking of you both.

(Managed to do a multi quote, thanks to you for your helpful instructions.

Thank you again.)

I always let Pauline have her way.🤫

• Haha 3