Is it safe to cruise right now?

crusingrightnow

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’d feel fairly “safe” if we are talking about my health — but if it is a question of whether the cruise is likely to be an enjoyable experience, I would not consider that a “safe” bet at all.

I agree.  I am not too worried about getting Covid; not only did I have it a year ago (fairly mild) but am vaccinated and boostered.  I am no more worried about a positive test than getting a cold or flu, at this time. I feel I am as likely to get it at the grocery store or any other public space.  but at least then I could quarantine/recover at home.

But, I probably won't cruise for a while because I think the experience, even if we don't test positive, is just going to be too different.  We did a 12 day late November and had a good time, in spite of a few covid-related negatives.  At that time we were not required to use masks on board.

Too many possible problems now:  ports closed, ships coming back early, quarantined to a worse room if tested positive, etc.  Not ready to spend money for  those possibilities.

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’d feel fairly “safe” if we are talking about my health — but if it is a question of whether the cruise is likely to be an enjoyable experience, I would not consider that a “safe” bet at all.

We do not always agree (especially in the past few months) but I cannot argue with your post.  You make good sense.  

Hank

8 hours ago, iancal said:

Just imagine what it is like on US airlines that do not require proof of vaccination.

That's an advantage for airlines. No testing, no vaccine proof, no contact tracing nonsense and no quarantine. When weighing against a cruise, where you may have your trip ruined if you test positive, stuck in quarantine, miss ports etc; it’s not really apples to apples. Ignorance is bliss in this case. A lot of folks don’t care about covid. It’s all the other crap that you have to deal with, whereas, with flying you only have to deal with the masking while on the plane ride back and forth and none of the other stuff. Cruising is a hassle right now and will be until they do away with the pre-cruise testing, quarantine, and contract tracing isolation nonsense. It’s all too much and a huge gamble.  

4 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

That's an advantage for airlines. No testing, no vaccine proof, no contact tracing nonsense and no quarantine. When weighing against a cruise, where you may have your trip ruined if you test positive, stuck in quarantine, miss ports etc; it’s not really apples to apples. Ignorance is bliss in this case. A lot of folks don’t care about covid. It’s all the other crap that you have to deal with, whereas, with flying you only have to deal with the masking while on the plane ride back and forth and none of the other stuff. Cruising is a hassle right now and will be until they do away with the pre-cruise testing, quarantine, and contract tracing isolation nonsense. It’s all too much and a huge gamble.  

Possible cancellations seem to be a HUGE hassle with airline travel!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

It does not make really sense to compare cruise lines with airlines—- they really serve very different purposes:  one  is recreation the other transportation.   Expecting resorts and cruise lines to apply similar standards  would be more appropriate.

I have no desire to sit beside an unvaccinated person for four hours  (or more) on an airplane.

Proof of vaccination for air travel is a requirement where we live.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, iancal said:

I have no desire to sit beside an unvaccinated person for four hours  (or more) on an airplane.

Proof of vaccination for air travel is a requirement where we live.

You do know that triple vaxxed people are getting the new variant and transmitting it to others?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

You do know that triple vaxxed people are getting the new variant and transmitting it to others?

Yes I do.  That is not the point.  If anything, I would be even more concerned with O.   Just because some triple vaxxed people are getting the new variant does not mean that we want to get the virus.  

Would you use that same argument to stop requiring proof of vaccination or testing on cruise ships or in resorts?

Edited by iancal

29 minutes ago, iancal said:

Yes I do.  That is not the point.  If anything, I would be even more concerned with O.   Just because some triple vaxxed people are getting the new variant does not mean that we want to get the virus.  

Would you use that same argument to stop requiring proof of vaccination or testing on cruise ships or in resorts?

But, you can now get the variant from both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. I don't understand your logic. I'm tripple vaxxed but the point is that the science is now showing that the transmission can be from both groups. The only reason to get it now is to safeguard your own personal health and reducing your chance of hospitalization or death.

Testing continues to be very important on cruise ships but I'm not sure one's vaccination status much matters with Omicron.  

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1

Our bottom line.  Now 70, triple vaxxed and healthy.

Would we want to spend four hours on an aircraft sitting beside an unvaxed person?

Our answer is no...which is exactly why we choose not to do it.  Others are free to do as they wish.  

Edited by iancal

54 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Testing continues to be very important on cruise ships but I'm not sure one's vaccination status much matters with Omicron.  

This isn't true. Omicron breakthrough cases are higher than for the other variants to date, but there is STILL a protective effect for those vaccinated + boostered. 

In other words -- if you fly on a plane full of vaccinated + boostered folks vs. a plane without such a requirement, you are less likely to be exposed to COVID.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This isn't true. Omicron breakthrough cases are higher than for the other variants to date, but there is STILL a protective effect for those vaccinated + boostered. 

In other words -- if you fly on a plane full of vaccinated + boostered folks vs. a plane without such a requirement, you are less likely to be exposed to COVID.

I think time will tell. My booster's effectiveness has declined. Two of my vaxxed and boostered friends got COVID. There hasn't been enough time to do real research and data analysis. It appears that much of what has been said is an educated guess.

I think the cruise companies are deciding it's becoming less practical to cruise right now with the increased levels of Omicron COVID in circulation with my evidence being the cancellations.  Is it being driven more by logistics than safety?  I'll let you decide. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/royal-caribbean-norwegian-canceling-sailings-amid-covid-omicron-2022-1

Given the warehousing of infected crew on out of service ships I expect we will see even more cancellations and maybe an almost total shutdown.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2022/01/06/royal-caribbean-moving-covid-positive-crew-vision-rhapsody-ships/9115818002/

I hope this clears up before the end of April which coincides with my current planned return to cruising.

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It does not make really sense to compare cruise lines with airlines—- they really serve very different purposes:  one  is recreation the other transportation.   Expecting resorts and cruise lines to apply similar standards  would be more appropriate.

Even though airlines are part of our transportation infrastructure, I would not oppose application of a Vax/Testing rule.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Yes, but at a rate several times less than an unvaccinated person - per the CDC.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

IMO, vaccinations are the best way to go to prevent illness and deaths; if we did not have previous vaccinations from other things i.e. measles, polio, we would pretty much all be dead.

Again, nothing in medicine is 100%.

Take care and stay safe everyone. 🙂

So, is the Covid vaccine more like a flu shot and not the same thing as vaccines for measles, mumps, rubella , and polio? None of us spend anytime worrying about the later illnesses because they work over a long period of time. I look at Israel and see they are starting shot #4.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

So, is the Covid vaccine more like a flu shot and not the same thing as vaccines for measles, mumps, rubella , and polio? None of us spend anytime worrying about the later illnesses because they work over a long period of time. I look at Israel and see they are starting shot #4.

My online med record indicates I will be eligible for shot #4 this coming May. 

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

My online med record indicates I will be eligible for shot #4 this coming May. 

And fairly likely #5 in October of November.  I suspect COVID will be forever with us -much like the flu — and intelligent people will get the periodic (hopefully correctly updated) vaccines.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 3:20 AM, Toofarfromthesea said:

I would feel perfectly safe, cruising.  I've had COVID and have confidence in my acquired natural immunity.

But I won't pay good money for a vacation where "protocols" rob the vacation of much of the enjoyment.

Same!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:17 PM, Markanddonna said:

I think time will tell. My booster's effectiveness has declined. Two of my vaxxed and boostered friends got COVID. There hasn't been enough time to do real research and data analysis. It appears that much of what has been said is an educated guess.

It is kind of pointless to mention vaccinated/boostered people getting COVID without including comment on the seriousness of their infection.   Most such people have asymptomatic infections - while the anti-vaxxers who get it frequently wind up hospitalized --- or dead.

• Like 1