$624.07 includes tips and insurance

crusingrightnow

Save money by not getting their insurance. What is the insurance for. I would imagine that if you need to cancel, you can afford to lose $500. Might be painful, but surely not devastating.

If you want the insurance for the medical, then go 3rd party. Since the cost of the cruise is only about $500, you can get 3 times the medical coverage for less than $50

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you’re new to cruising, one thing you’ll come to learn is the truth of the old saying: “you get what you pay for.” 

Bah.  The poster is getting on a cruise ship to have a lot of fun with a place to sleep and shower.  Those in the priciest non-haven accommodations are getting the exact same thing.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Bah.  The poster is getting on a cruise ship to have a lot of fun with a place to sleep and shower.  Those in the priciest non-haven accommodations are getting the exact same thing.

Not quite that simple. There was a study done about 5+ years ago (a search here on CC might dig up the discussions and source citations). In any case, the study examined the cost per passenger spent on food by a wide array of cruise lines across the mass market, premium and luxury brands. Just looking at the NCLH family, Oceania and Regent were spending 2-3 times per passenger for type and quality of ingredients (e.g., USDA Prime meats vs Choice or less) than was NCL.The difference extends as well to the quality of the “sleep” experience you mentioned. Better linens, toiletries, mattresses, etc.

And, perhaps most interesting (also multiple CC threads over the years), for those cruisers who need/enjoy necessary/available options (e.g., airfare, beverages, WiFi, specialty restaurants, gratuities, booze, tours et al.), a comparison of “bottom line” costs to just “cabin fares” often totals less on an “inclusive” premium/luxury line that on a mass market where each of those items mean an extra charge. But, that’s a whole other discussion.

Meanwhile, the truth remains that, in cruising, the quality/value of what you’ll get for <$100 per night is “bare bones” at best.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

3 hours ago, oteixeira said:

Seems like a good deal, just remember sail away cabins also don't include the "free at sea" items.  Some people don't take them anyway, but if you drink 2 or more adult beverages a day you should take the drink package.

Good points.  I was really just poking at the idea that you have to pay more to get more.  More square footage, more window/balcony, sure.  It really boils down to the value that these things provide to a person.  I stayed in a balcony on my last cruise and the cabin provided me with minimal additional enjoyment versus the inside on my previous cruise.  It was likely worth (to me) just around the $100 - $200 I paid to upgrade (I honestly don't remember, but I did post it on the forum at the time).  We spend minimal time in our room beyond sleeping and morning prep.  I would rather be somewhere listening to great music and having a new friend bring me drinks than sitting on the balcony getting my own.  Yeah, folks like to go on about the sunsets, but those are maybe an hour, on the right side of the ship, when the weather is clear.  Still fun, but I can watch those from a lot of locations.  😎

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not quite that simple. There was a study done about 5+ years ago (a search here on CC might dig up the discussions and source citations). In any case, the study examined the cost per passenger spent on food by a wide array of cruise lines across the mass market, premium and luxury brands. Just looking at the NCLH family, Oceania and Regent were spending 2-3 times per passenger for type and quality of ingredients (e.g., USDA Prime meats vs Choice or less) than was NCL.The difference extends as well to the quality of the “sleep” experience you mentioned. Better linens, toiletries, mattresses, etc.

And, perhaps most interesting (also multiple CC threads over the years), for those cruisers who need/enjoy necessary/available options (e.g., airfare, beverages, WiFi, specialty restaurants, gratuities, booze, tours et al.), a comparison of “bottom line” costs to just “cabin fares” often totals less on an “inclusive” premium/luxury line that on a mass market where each of those items mean an extra charge. But, that’s a whole other discussion.

Meanwhile, the truth remains that, in cruising, the quality/value of what you’ll get for <$100 per night is “bare bones” at best.

But this person is getting the same quality someone else is getting who paid more for their cabin on the same sailing and that makes it a great deal. Could spending more on another cruise line get them a better quality experience? Absolutely. But for the sailing booked the quality will be the same received as every other passenger onboard who is in a non-Haven cabin since they will all eat in the same restaurants, have the same entertainment choices, same bedding brand and be served by the same crew. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

But this person is getting the same quality someone else is getting who paid more for their cabin on the same sailing and that makes it a great deal. Could spending more on another cruise line get them a better quality experience? Absolutely. But for the sailing booked the quality will be the same received as every other passenger onboard who is in a non-Haven cabin since they will all eat in the same restaurants, have the same entertainment choices, same bedding brand and be served by the same crew. 

And again, “you get what you pay for.”

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And again, “you get what you pay for.”

I certainly hope so, but when one compares apples to apples the price that the OP is paying for the cruise they booked is a good one.

Edited by sparks1093

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I certainly hope so, but when one compares apples to apples the price that the OP is paying for the cruise they booked is a good one.

I agree with you and I think the OP will get a tremendous amount of value out of that fare.  

On 12/15/2021 at 6:13 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Your truth.  Not shared by many with perhaps different priorities.  

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

Your truth.  Not shared by many with perhaps different priorities.  

Very true, each passenger is looking for something different. I'm not attracted at all to small ships, fancy food, comfort bedding, etc. so am unlikely to go much higher up the cruise line pecking order than Celebrity (which we will possibly be considering in 2024). Others are attracted to those things and there are cruise lines that cater to them. The wonderful thing about cruising is there is something for everyone. (The problem comes when someone sails on a line expecting one thing and getting another, so don't expect a luxury cruise experience when you are paying $624.)

• Thanks 1