The Daily for Tuesday 12/21/2021

richwmn

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Something interesting happened yesterday.  DD who is home for Christmas break from her teaching duties, was on her computer when an email popped up from Walmart confirming her order.  What order, she thought.  It was a couple of minor items but they totaled $125.  She checked her credit card and there was a pending charge for that amount.  Since she and her DH hadn't ordered anything she cancelled the order immediately (thank goodness they had that option on the original email).  Then they called the bank and cancelled her credit card account.  After that they went onto her Walmart account and found an $898 X-box on her wish list ready for someone to order using her stored credit card.  Her Walmart account had been hacked and they had made the first purchase using her stored credit card.  The X-box would have been next.  She changed her password and hopefully that person won't be able to hack into her account anymore.  The original order was going to go to a woman in Michigan.  Thank goodness DD was there when the email came in because when she's at school she sometimes doesn't check her email all day long.  Within 4 minutes she had cancelled the order and was calling the bank to cancel her card.  Be on the lookout for thieves like this especially during the busy holiday season.  Bah humbug to all the thieves and hackers!

Oh my goodness.  So happy that she caught it!  I had a notification on Christmas Eve, one year, that I had made $900 in purchases at a Walmart thousands of miles away.  One of the many reasons I hate Walmart.  And thieves.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@StLouisCruisersthere's not a lot of skill involved (very little, trust me!) in making dinner rolls.  At the beginning of the Covid shut-down, I became part of a Facebook group called The Official Quarantine Cookbook where people posted their tried and true recipes, as well as successes and failures.  The group ended up publishing 3 cookbooks over the past year and a half, (I'm proud to say a couple of my recipes were selected for inclusion in books 1 and 2) with the proceeds going to charities such as Wounded Warriors, etc.  It was there that I was introduced to the 2 Hour Bun recipe which has been a staple in our house ever since. 

Here's the recipe for you to try:

1299337444_2HourBunRecipe.jpg.8e8a97f84af1ba4d58216d771804c846.jpg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Fingers crossed and prayers said that Graham @grapau27's test comes out negative.  Gerry @ger_77have a safe trip and a joyous holiday with your family!  Rich @richwmnenjoy your cruise and thanks for posting the Daily even though you're not at home sitting at your desk with strong wifi. 😉 We appreciate the extra effort!  Roy @rafinmdmany thanks for the list keeping.  Prayers for all and for yourself at your radiation treatment.  I hope they are almost over with.  I heard from my twin that the doctors took a little more than expected from the tumor area and a lymph node on her son-in-law.  He may be in the hospital a little longer than planned.  I think he was supposed to be home by Christmas but who knows now.  Thanks for all the prayers for him.

I like crossword puzzles but am not very good at them.  I very much appreciate our forefathers.  Boo to the humbuggers!  And the quote.  What does that mean?  Too early for me to ponder it.  I'll have to wait to see what Debbie @dfishhas in store for us today.  And yes, I've been to Haifa.  We would love to go back because there is so much to learn and think about when seeing Israel.

Today I have an afternoon hair appointment.  We are still thinking of new items we need to include on our list for taking to DD's house in Cincinnati for our family Christmas get together.  Yesterday dinner rolls were unavailable at the two stores we shopped at for groceries so I will stop at the store next to my hair salon this afternoon and see if they have any.  I wish I had Gerry's skill at baking rolls!

Something interesting happened yesterday.  DD who is home for Christmas break from her teaching duties, was on her computer when an email popped up from Walmart confirming her order.  What order, she thought.  It was a couple of minor items but they totaled $125.  She checked her credit card and there was a pending charge for that amount.  Since she and her DH hadn't ordered anything she cancelled the order immediately (thank goodness they had that option on the original email).  Then they called the bank and cancelled her credit card account.  After that they went onto her Walmart account and found an $898 X-box on her wish list ready for someone to order using her stored credit card.  Her Walmart account had been hacked and they had made the first purchase using her stored credit card.  The X-box would have been next.  She changed her password and hopefully that person won't be able to hack into her account anymore.  The original order was going to go to a woman in Michigan.  Thank goodness DD was there when the email came in because when she's at school she sometimes doesn't check her email all day long.  Within 4 minutes she had cancelled the order and was calling the bank to cancel her card.  Be on the lookout for thieves like this especially during the busy holiday season.  Bah humbug to all the thieves and hackers!

Wow,that was fortunate your daughter checked her email and was quickly able to cancel the charges and her card and change her passwords.

Hopefully the woman who hacked her account is caught and properly dealt with.

I have an app for my mastercard and a notification comes to my phone immediately any charge is made.

I would advise everyone who can do this to get the app and allow notifications.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@StLouisCruisersthere's not a lot of skill involved (very little, trust me!) in making dinner rolls.  At the beginning of the Covid shut-down, I became part of a Facebook group called The Official Quarantine Cookbook where people posted their tried and true recipes, as well as successes and failures.  The group ended up publishing 3 cookbooks over the past year and a half, (I'm proud to say a couple of my recipes were selected for inclusion in books 1 and 2) with the proceeds going to charities such as Wounded Warriors, etc.  It was there that I was introduced to the 2 Hour Bun recipe which has been a staple in our house ever since. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

Thanks for the recipe!  About how many buns does that make?  I’m thinking I would cut that in half and add way less sugar.  Probably just enough to give the yeast something to feed on as I don’t like sweet bread.  (Not to be confused with sweetbread. 🤮)

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

Good Morning Everyone from a rainy and windy day at the beach

Not sure what happened to our weather. Yesterday was warm and sunny, I did water aerobics and then went for a walk on the beach. The skies opened up and poured and it has continued. I looked like a drowned rat by the time I got home. Suppose to clear later. 

I try to avoid " humbugs". They zap your energy.  Have not been to todays port but it is on my list.

Safe travels to all that are traveling for the holidays. We are staying put.  

My sister gets another chemo treatment today. They were going to hold on it because she seems to drop her blood counts so quickly but for some reason, they are going ahead.  Keep her in your prayers if you have any extra.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

So Gerry, does this yield 6 dozen?  And are these the ones you freeze some of & then thaw when in the mood for them?

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Not sure what happened to our weather. Yesterday was warm and sunny, I did water aerobics and then went for a walk on the beach. The skies opened up and poured and it has continued. I looked like a drowned rat by the time I got home. Suppose to clear later. 

I try to avoid " humbugs". They zap your energy.  Have not been to todays port but it is on my list.

My sister gets another chemo treatment today. They were going to hold on it because she seems to drop her blood counts so quickly but for some reason, they are going ahead.  Keep her in your prayers if you have any extra.

Charlene

Hope your sister is doing well. Rainy day on the beach can be a nice occasion when you are in the cafe by the beach drinking some hot Latte or smth. If it rains when its warm -ohh man, you can totally enjoy it 

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Charlene

Charlene, I have lots of prayers for your Sister.

AND I am familiar with the drowned rat look. Bindi wears it much better than I. 

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Thanks for the recipe!  About how many buns does that make?  I’m thinking I would cut that in half and add way less sugar.  Probably just enough to give the yeast something to feed on as I don’t like sweet bread.  (Not to be confused with sweetbread. 🤮)

You're most welcome.  It makes about 3 dozen small rolls.  They're not really sweet, in fact DH suggested I increase the sugar because he loves the sweeter ones.  I don't.  LOL

BTW, they freeze well, just put a paper towel under the bottom of the buns so when they defrost, they aren't soggy.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Will definitely keep your sister in my prayers; there's always room for more.

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

So Gerry, does this yield 6 dozen?  And are these the ones you freeze some of & then thaw when in the mood for them?

No, only about 3 dozen; I make them in my 9x13 pans and get 3 pans of 12 each.  Yes, these are the ones I thaw when needed, but as I mentioned above, put a paper towel between the bag/container and the bottom of the buns, so they don't get soggy when thawed.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Charlene

Sending your sister our prayers 🙏 and good wishes Charlene for her chemo today.

Graham.

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

Gerry, thanks for this recipe and all the added information about ahow many servings, pan size, and the paper towel trick under them when freezing.  It looks like something even non-bakers like me could handle. 😋

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Charlene

Fortunately, prayers are infinite in supply.   The best for your sister.

• Like 17

Good morning Daily-ites, and happy cruising to our friends who are boarding or currently sailing.

Floridians, Tampa and south, did just see that you will be under the threat of tornados most of the day, be safe.

The today show announced that it snowed yesterday in Alexandria Egypt .  That it snowed there but not in Chicago or Denver.  Climate change.  Its another cold day in Georgia, our female feral, Fawn used to sleep on the porch during the winter, but since she has a friend, we call him Little Red, is scared of coming onto the porch , we have put a big box in the carport, and put a bed in there, and they snuggle up in the box.  DH thought it was too cold for them last night, so he plugged in a small (i mean small) space heater and placed it to blow into the box.  Fawn was snug as a bug last night, but Little Red was no where around at bed time.  I looked out and Fawn was very happy and warm, and a possum was 8 feet away munching on the cat food.  I was wondering if when we got up, that the possum would be snuggled up with Fawn.  The cats were at the door begging for breakfast, so i guess the bed is for sleeping time, but not keeping warm.  Good news? it's supposed to be in the mid 60's for Christmas. I think I've had one white Christmas since i moved here.  We mostly get a white January

Prayers for all who need them, cheers to any one celebrating and have a wonderful day!

• Like 23

55 minutes ago, dfish said:

There seems to be a glitch in the food department.   Creamy paprika pork was listed twice and now we seem to be a day behind. 

It appears I made a small error in transiting from my home setup to a traveling version. I think I have it fixed now.

I have also been having trouble posting today. I did just notice that if I look at notifications before trying to post I have a problem posting.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Just now, richwmn said:

It appears I made a small error in transiting from my home setup to a traveling version. I think I have it fixed now.

I have also been having trouble posting today. I did just notice that if I look at notifications before trying to post I have a problem posting.

No problem, Rich.   We caught it and made it right.   Sorry about the CC gremlins.  Your issue is a new wrinkle.  What worked for me yesterday was to reboot the computer.   

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily @richwmn. Happy Winter Solstice!

I like to do crossword puzzles. Trying not to be a Humbug type.

Not sure what the quote means. I like the meal and drink. Pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Israel.

Not much new here. I may start wrapping presents, although no Christmas celebration until sometime next month.

@rafinmd Thanks for the lists. And the end of treatment is near!

@kazu Prayers for Jose, his medical team and you.

@Himself I pray you are doing ok.

@atexsix I hope DD's health stabilizes. And that your stress decreases.

@msmayor @ger_77 @*Miss G* Safe travels.

@grapau27 How long will it take to get results?

@mamaofami Fingers crossed for negative tests for the grandsons.

@StLouisCruisers Continued prayers for Amy's DH. Good thing DD caught that thievery! People need to find something else to do, rather than steal from others.

@cunnorl Prayers that your sister's chemo treatment goes well, and her count doesn't go too low.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe, wear your mask, social distance and get boosted!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily @richwmn. Happy Winter Solstice!

I like to do crossword puzzles. Trying not to be a Humbug type.

Not sure what the quote means. I like the meal and drink. Pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Israel.

Not much new here. I may start wrapping presents, although no Christmas celebration until sometime next month.

@rafinmd Thanks for the lists. And the end of treatment is near!

@kazu Prayers for Jose, his medical team and you.

@Himself I pray you are doing ok.

@atexsix I hope DD's health stabilizes. And that your stress decreases.

@msmayor @ger_77 @*Miss G* Safe travels.

@grapau27 How long will it take to get results?

@mamaofami Fingers crossed for negative tests for the grandsons.

@StLouisCruisers Continued prayers for Amy's DH. Good thing DD caught that thievery! People need to find something else to do, rather than steal from others.

@cunnorl Prayers that your sister's chemo treatment goes well, and her count doesn't go too low.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe, wear your mask, social distance and get boosted!

I was told I would only find out if it is positive otherwise the hospital will contact me on the 23rd with details for admission for a BCC op on the 24th.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 9

Good morning all!

Another cold morning, and now it looks like we'll get our first snow on Christmas -- a White Christmas this year!

I have a busy day ahead of me, getting all the groceries for Christmas Day.  The turkey has been taken out of the freezer.  My daughter and niece are bringing side dishes and desserts, so all I have to do is the turkey, a couple side dishes, and drinks.  

I prefer online jigsaw puzzles over doing crosswords, but my dear Dad did them daily up until his death at 101.  Thankful for our forefathers, boo about humbugs!

Sauvignon Blanc from Chile is usually my 2nd favorite after New Zealand, but this one sounds a bit sweet for me.  The drink sounds good, will pass on the meal (both of them) 😉  

We were in Haifa in 2011 on Celebrity Silhouette.  That cruise was supposed to go to Israel and Egypt, but instead we had 4 days in Israel.  I was sorry to not get to Egypt a second time, but we had a great time seeing more in Israel!

Bon Voyage @richwmn, it was great catching up with you last night when you called. 🙂  

@cunnorlprayers for your sister as she gets her chemo treatment.

@atexsixprayers for your dear Dad's health

@StLouisCruisersthank heavens your daughter caught those charges!  Sad that thieves use the Christmas season to up their nasty game. 😞  

Here are some photos from our time in Haifa --

Cave of Coffins, Beit She'arim

786188718_CaveofCoffinsBeitShearim.thumb.jpg.09df9295ef54e11e02f3a1dc3fd3a65e.jpg

Baha'i Gardens

1260304340_BahaiGardens.thumb.jpg.15366d737acac4a6d749eef7446f5b16.jpg

Night view of Baha'i Gardens and Haifa from our balcony

906940708_NightviewBahaiGardensandHaifa.thumb.jpg.34bf85c6ba76a64415c72e305dcf664f.jpg

Megiddo

Megiddo.thumb.jpg.299f3a0299d242573e930067dfe1124a.jpg

Megiddo

1706151531_Megiddo2.thumb.jpg.df3a04773be928e8001177f592c05328.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5