Final Payment Date approaching. Concerned about Omicron

RickT

18 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m pretty sure most people know that.  Have you tried to buy some n95 lately?  I ordered some from Amazon on nov 27 and I’m still waiting for them.  There were suggestions on the Canadian board.  Every place I checked they are sold out.  Maybe you can get them at Costco.  You couldn’t pay me to go there.  I’ve also seen people that think you can wear them days and days 🤮.  That would be no.

I ordered a box of 20 KN95 on Amazon early last week and got them in 2 days

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

I ordered a box of 20 KN95 on Amazon early last week and got them in 2 days

Lucky you.  Last update mine said on the 22nd.  Then it went blank.  Now it says today.  They are supposed to go to work and I won’t be there until next Monday so I’m sure I’ll never see them.  You live in the USA.  I live in Canada.  Not the same.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m pretty sure most people know that.  Have you tried to buy some n95 lately?  I ordered some from Amazon on nov 27 and I’m still waiting for them.  There were suggestions on the Canadian board.  Every place I checked they are sold out.  Maybe you can get them at Costco.  You couldn’t pay me to go there.  I’ve also seen people that think you can wear them days and days 🤮.  That would be no.

You can order from Costco and you don’t have to there.  They deliver 👍 

Their service is pretty good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I would think so to, except for all the comments.   The guidance has changed a lot on masks.  I’ve had good luck at Costco both in store and online as well as some of the recommended online suppliers. 

40 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I would think so to, except for all the comments.   The guidance has changed a lot on masks.  I’ve had good luck at Costco both in store and online as well as some of the recommended online suppliers. 

Costco rules!  Where else can you get a $4.99 rotisserie chicken that’s yummy?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Queen Mary 2

It’s not yet in the news, but Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 plans to remain in Barbados for a few more days to take on new crew members before returning to Southampton. They will no longer be calling in NYC on January 3 as planned. Full details, including the Captain’s letter, are in this Thread.

16 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Agree.  

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 8:59 AM, Hlitner said:

Our US Rules are strange indeed.  Consider that anyone flying into the USA (from out of the country) must have a negative COVID test within a day of their flight.  But those coming off a cruise ship do not need any test and as you said, there are currently no requirements for vaccinations or testing for those taking domestic flights.  In addition. anyone entering the USA illegally by simply crossing the Mexican border does not need to be vaccinated or tested and, in some cases, will actually be put on domestic flights and/or buses.  So, in a sense, the tax payors are actually funding the spread of COVID by paying the cost of moving untested folks around the country.  

So I do think you might have a very good point about a perfect storm for a very bad COVID winter.  We are already seeing the impact on cruises with multiple ships missing ports due to onboard COVID and increasing cruise reservation cancellations because potential cruisers do not want to gamble on the chance of "cruises to nowhere."   We have only heard of one cruise line (Viking) implementing frequent and sometimes daily COVID testing which is arguably an aggressive policy to head off onboard outbreaks.

Hank

The new variant is very contagious and it does not discriminate against vaccinated and unvaccinated. The symptoms are much milder than COVID at the beginning of the pandemic and are described by most as flu-like.  Cruise ships are a prime target and I don't see how they can avoid major outbreaks no matter how much they clean. I am encountering hundreds of cases since the holiday,.  I suspect after the New Year holiday it will spike more AND, heaven help us, schools may again go virtual. I keep saying "this too shall pass"......

5 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

The new variant is very contagious and it does not discriminate against vaccinated and unvaccinated. The symptoms are much milder than COVID at the beginning of the pandemic and are described by most as flu-like.  Cruise ships are a prime target and I don't see how they can avoid major outbreaks no matter how much they clean. I am encountering hundreds of cases since the holiday,.  I suspect after the New Year holiday it will spike more AND, heaven help us, schools may again go virtual. I keep saying "this too shall pass"......

I agree with all you say except "this too shall pass."  There is reason to think that COVID will not "soon pass" and will likely be with us for decades if not forever.  Yes, Omicron will likely pass within a few months but there will be new variants (and even new viruses).  Some experts are now speculating that COVID is becoming another winter virus (similar to influenza) that will evolve into an annual event.  Does that mean that we will need to lock down the entire world from Nov-April every year?  I guess there are some politicians that see that as a solution but not this guy.

Hank

• Like 6

I just started to read all of the posts on the concern about making final payment for an April cruise.  We are also trying to decide what to do.  I appreciate all of the feedback from those that have cruised already and found the experience to be pretty good.  The one difference for cruises in April and beyond is that the HAL requirement for everyone to be fully vaccinated ends March 31, 2022.  Therefore, at this time, there is not requirement for April cruises and vaccinations.  When I reached out to our PCC at HAL to see if this would change her answer was she didn't think so.

So, at least for us, that is also a factor in our decision in making final payment.  Have others heard if this policy might change?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ilv4cruising said:

I just started to read all of the posts on the concern about making final payment for an April cruise.  We are also trying to decide what to do.  I appreciate all of the feedback from those that have cruised already and found the experience to be pretty good.  The one difference for cruises in April and beyond is that the HAL requirement for everyone to be fully vaccinated ends March 31, 2022.  Therefore, at this time, there is not requirement for April cruises and vaccinations.  When I reached out to our PCC at HAL to see if this would change her answer was she didn't think so.

So, at least for us, that is also a factor in our decision in making final payment.  Have others heard if this policy might change?

I'm pretty sure they'll be requiring vaccinations for the foreseeable future.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ilv4cruising said:

Well, I predicted that we would be able to get together this Christmas without masks and quotas on gatherings so, clearly, I am not good at predictions.  Having said that, however, I predict that vaccinations will be required for all 2022 sailings.

Personally, I am not cancelling any cruises I have booked.  I did one a couple of weeks ago and everything was fine.  I almost felt normal.  Final payment has been made for a TA in March.  A river cruise followed by a TA is booked for October.  Unless *they* dictate otherwise, I am going.  I am at the point, now, where this virus feels like it’s going to be a seasonal flu thing, and if I get my shot I minimize the chances of it killing me.  If it does kill me… well… I guess that’s how I will leave the planet.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ilv4cruising said:

That was my thinking as well so was quite surprised at the PCC response.  Hopefully that decision by HAL will be soon.

HAL has a notation on the protocols page that all cruises will comply with local regulations.  That has been an industry standard for as long as I have been cruising.  If the world demands a vaccine then you will need a vaccine.  I think the leniency of that standard on other lines has only been a stop gap measure so the rest of the world can catch up with their vaccination rates.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Sam's Club (we don't have Costco here)!  Actually, I think it's $4.95 so cheaper than Costco, lol!

Sue/WDW1972

Funny thing about that chicken.  We recently got a new Sam's membership for essentially nothing (there are all kinds of deals for new members) which included a FREE rotisserie chicken.  DW and took the chicken and enjoyed it for dinner and two lunches.  While we found it comparable to Costco's chicken we think both cannot come close to comparing to the rotisserie chicken we routinely buy at "Pechugon" in Puerto Vallarta (Pechugon is a national chain of small rotisserie chicken places located throughout Mexico).  The Mexican chickens are a little smaller but have amazing flavor due to the excellent dry rub.

So I suggest that rotisserie chicken lovers book a trip to Mexico to try out this treat and post your review.  That chicken will likely cost you at least $1000 (for a short trip) but why not?   LOL

Hank

P.S.  For those who really dote on Sams or Costco chickens we also have both in Puerto Vallarta 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, ilv4cruising said:

That was my thinking as well so was quite surprised at the PCC response.  Hopefully that decision by HAL will be soon.

I’m recalling HAL was not saying whether they’d require Covid vaccine in 2022 as of October 4, my final payment for Jan 2 cruise.  First they changed final payment to November 4, then sometime before then, extended the vaccine requirement. 

34 minutes ago, Lizofwisconsin said:

I’m recalling HAL was not saying whether they’d require Covid vaccine in 2022 as of October 4, my final payment for Jan 2 cruise.  First they changed final payment to November 4, then sometime before then, extended the vaccine requirement. 

I would suggest that the lack of a current decision from HAL is moot!  Why?  The vaccine issue is no longer something decided by cruise lines.  If they want to go to just about any port (with a few exceptions) they are going to need to adhere to both local and national rules.  The trend is quite clear that it is becoming increasingly difficult to go anywhere in the world without being fully vaccinated.  One notable exception remains Mexico but you may have noticed that even they have turned away a HAL ship because of a few COVID cases.

Hank

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I would suggest that the lack of a current decision from HAL is moot!  Why?  The vaccine issue is no longer something decided by cruise lines.  If they want to go to just about any port (with a few exceptions) they are going to need to adhere to both local and national rules.  The trend is quite clear that it is becoming increasingly difficult to go anywhere in the world without being fully vaccinated.  One notable exception remains Mexico but you may have noticed that even they have turned away a HAL ship because of a few COVID cases.

Hank

Hank the only way this virus can be  controlled is not just vaccines but theraputics  .It is now known that Omnicron patients have  far better  defense against future variants than with any vaccine  .The real answer is both vaccines & theraputic treatment . It has been proven by medical science 

If the cruise lines would stock theraputics every one would be far safer 

Edited by mcrcruiser

2 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Hank the only way this virus can be  controlled is not just vaccines but theraputics  .It is now known that Omnicron patients have  far better  defense against future variants than with any vaccine  .The real answer is both vaccines & theraputic treatment . It has been proven by medical science 

If the cruise lines would stock theraputics every one would be far safer 

Completely agree.  But the theraputics seem to be chasing the variants (not a good thing).   I saw something yesterday that mentioned that two  (the most commonly available two) of the 3 monoclonal antibody drugs are worthless against the Omicron Variant.  I guess the good news is that very few with Omicron need that kind of intervention but it just goes to my other point that the treatments often come too late to help the early surges.  I have not seen anything here on CC (or elsewhere) that is specific as to what the cruise lines are stocking in terms of therapeutics.

Hank

46 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Completely agree.  But the theraputics seem to be chasing the variants (not a good thing).   I saw something yesterday that mentioned that two  (the most commonly available two) of the 3 monoclonal antibody drugs are worthless against the Omicron Variant.  I guess the good news is that very few with Omicron need that kind of intervention but it just goes to my other point that the treatments often come too late to help the early surges.  I have not seen anything here on CC (or elsewhere) that is specific as to what the cruise lines are stocking in terms of therapeutics.

Hank

There are many theraputic drugs on the market  today . MDs are knowledgeable what to   give a patient  to cure them . The problem with vaccines is too many shots have been proven by medical science to weaken the immune system not strengthen it  .This is why the boosters are lasting about 10 weeks . Better natural immunity per MDs 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, HALrunner said:

According to the CDC, there are only 4 ships in service (not "crew only") currently in the green: one MSC, Celebrity Silhouette, Azamara Quest and "The World".  This is quite a change from even a week ago. 

These cruise ships must take on theraputic  drugs  to help get people over the virus illness 

I returned from a 2 week sailing last week.  I felt safer onboard than I ever did at my local supermarket where I saw every Tom, Dick, and Harry handle all the produce and veggies and so on.  Not to mention, the number of people ignoring the purell on the way in.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

I returned from a 2 week sailing last week.  I felt safer onboard than I ever did at my local supermarket where I saw every Tom, Dick, and Harry handle all the produce and veggies and so on.  Not to mention, the number of people ignoring the purell on the way in.  

I saw one guy juggling tomatoes in mine and whistling.  What is wrong with some people? I mentioned it to the produce person who couldn’t have cared less.  I rarely buy anything that isn’t cellophane wrapped now because at least that will minimize dirty hands on produce.  I do wash it throughly before anyone comments on that.

• Like 1