When will Silversea cancel the Muse Japan cruises???

PaulMCO

I appears Silversea are going to replace the Japan itineraries with new offerings. Before I cancel the rare points ticket I managed to get from Sydney to Vancouver I'm very eager to know what those itineraries will be? Anyone willing to hazard a guess or two?

My TA has asked three times and all three times she was told “We don’t know what is going to happen with the ships”.  I presume they will have to put them someplace before they head to Australia/NZ.  My guess is Hawaii RT from Vancouver, Polynesia, Mexican Riviera and/or combination of them.  Who knows.

19 minutes ago, cruisr said:

I presume they will have to put them someplace before they head to Australia/NZ.  My guess is Hawaii RT from Vancouver, Polynesia, Mexican Riviera and/or combination of them.  Who knows.

Now you’ve got me thinking….

How about a circumnavigation of Australia (or two)?

or Sydney - French Polynesia - Hawaii laps 

Aussies are getting stir crazy waiting for luxury ships - but remember there’s actually no international routes into / out of Australia being sailed yet…!

13 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Now you’ve got me thinking….

How about a circumnavigation of Australia (or two)?

or Sydney - French Polynesia - Hawaii laps 

Aussies are getting stir crazy waiting for luxury ships - but remember there’s actually no international routes into / out of Australia being sailed yet…!

If Silversea did a circumnavigation voyage of Australia, we would book it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisr said:

Had you paid in full?

Yes we paid in full.  I had read somewhere on the SS boards that they were making TAs whole on commissions for canceled cruises.  When I asked her if this was true she died laughing.  Perhaps they have changed their policy or will now do it under select circumstances. I'm  curious, so will re visit the issue with her.

Edited by highplanesdrifters

Still no email cancellation from Silverseas and it’s still showing as a cruise booking in Silverseas.  Hoping they create some new itineraries for the ships - I can’t believe they would just keep ships floating till January.  Ready to book a replacement cruise - they have a Hong Kong to Singapore in January but I suspect that will be canceled- can’t imagine Hong Kong open even if just to fly and board the ship!

• 2 weeks later...

The Muse grand voyage has allegedly been cancelled, so I'm guessing Japan is off the Menu until at least Autumn 2023.

Not overly shocked but disappointed as it means my transitioning cruise from Osaka to Seward in April 2023 will also be a casualty.

Not heard anything from SS direct... and that info my wife spotted on that Facebook group, so no reason to disbelieve. 

But I do wonder how long SS take to notify and if they will still allow guests to make bookings on cruises they know will not sail.

3 hours ago, les37b said:

The Muse grand voyage has allegedly been cancelled, so I'm guessing Japan is off the Menu until at least Autumn 2023.

Not overly shocked but disappointed as it means my transitioning cruise from Osaka to Seward in April 2023 will also be a casualty.

Not heard anything from SS direct... and that info my wife spotted on that Facebook group, so no reason to disbelieve. 

But I do wonder how long SS take to notify and if they will still allow guests to make bookings on cruises they know will not sail.

les37b, I saw that post also.  Poster just indicated he heard it from his SS Agent after a few called him out as fake news, so no official email has gone out yet.  I remember when our Galapagos cruise was eventually cancelled in early 2021, our SS Rep knew ahead of time and told us he was "99% sure it would be cancelled", as he wasn't allowed to be the one to tell us.  Even after getting the official email from Silversea, we noticed the cruise was still listed for sale on the website for some time. 

On 7/30/2022 at 7:07 AM, BaileyMJ said:

Still no email cancellation from Silverseas and it’s still showing as a cruise booking in Silverseas.  Hoping they create some new itineraries for the ships - I can’t believe they would just keep ships floating till January.  Ready to book a replacement cruise - they have a Hong Kong to Singapore in January but I suspect that will be canceled- can’t imagine Hong Kong open even if just to fly and board the ship!

We’re booked on on-of those cruises—SS states they think it’s still a good.  Hope so-it’s a big but!

12 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

les37b, I saw that post also.  Poster just indicated he heard it from his SS Agent after a few called him out as fake news, so no official email has gone out yet.  I remember when our Galapagos cruise was eventually cancelled in early 2021, our SS Rep knew ahead of time and told us he was "99% sure it would be cancelled", as he wasn't allowed to be the one to tell us.  Even after getting the official email from Silversea, we noticed the cruise was still listed for sale on the website for some time. 

Well the good news appears to be that guest was misinformed by their agent. Time will tell if that's the full story. More often than not info on cancellations is available on CC way in advance of official announcements or emails.

Hopefully it remains that way, though I certainly wouldn't be too shocked if the spring Japan season is cancelled in 2023. Fingers crossed no changes are needed.

• Like 1

My TA told me today that after Alaska, Muse is going to be docked until December 2nd - Singapore to Australia cruise.  They plan on keeping crew onboard as its troublesome to retain talent if contracts are terminated early.  Logistically with world circumstances its too difficult to plan itineries on short timelines. Hope info is mistaken.

Edited by Nuka

I asked Silversea directly today since I am a bit concerned whether my booked cruise Osaka to Kobe on the Muse end of March 2023 will sail, and I would need to think about alternatives pretty soon since still working full time.
This is their reply just received a few minutes ago:

Following the resignation of the entire Japanese Government yesterday, we will see how the new Government approach opening up the country for travel.

At this stage it is too early to say, but we are optimistic they will be more open to allow cruising to commence once more.

As soon as a decision has been reached, either way, you will be informed.

Unquote

So I live in hope…

11 hours ago, Grand Duchess said:

This is their reply just received a few minutes ago:

Following the resignation of the entire Japanese Government yesterday, we will see how the new Government approach opening up the country for travel.

Putting the change in the cabinet in perspective, it’s actually a cabinet reshuffle in Kishida’s existing government, not a change of Government - I would not be expecting any major change in direction 

“Indeed, the “new” Cabinet is not very new at all, with all but nine having served as Cabinet ministers before. Five are staying on in their current roles, including Foreign Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi, and two returnees picked up positions they have held before. For example, Katsunobu Kato is taking over as Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare for the third time”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2022/08/11/commentary/japan-commentary/cabinet-reshuffle-objectives/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

interesting insight into the workings of Japanese politics.

Hope it helps

The Japanese and their culture are indeed fascinating and intriguing - I worked for a large Japanese company and visited many times over 25 years - it is truly unique and I think very few westerners would claim to be able to “think” Japanese 

But it is absolutely my favourite country and people to visit (not forgetting the food too) - I still discover new things each time and we’re truly looking forward to returning after this enforced break

• Like 1