When will Silversea cancel the Muse Japan cruises???

PaulMCO

And, if they are forced to cancel September what will they do with the ship(s) due to cruise to and around Japan in September and after?  If they cannot dock in Japan where will they go?    I really do not know why Silversea is the only holdout of the RCI brands.  I want to go but If I cannot I need some notice so I can do something else.  That notice is not forthcoming.  I will not cancel and let them keep 15% of my money.  As I posted in a roll call, Silversea has the upperhand.  If due to their dithering people cancel they get to keep the 15% penalty, don’t have to offer FCCs for any replacement cruise, don’t have to pay TAs and then they can cancel the cruise and only be responsible to those hardy souls who are playing their game of chicken.

I also am not optimistic about this cruise sailing.  At this stage, I would be open to SS altering the itinerary to include other ports of call to replace Japan. But do it now!!!! I believe this option is spelled out in the fine print of the SS agreement, “We reserve the right to alter the cruise itinerary for any reason,” (something like this). SS should not cancel at the final hour and burning bridges with many SS loyalists. That would be a big mistake!

I hate to say it but I will anyway.

What is wrong with this picture?!

I do not have a reservation on the September cruise that is supposed to include Japan. But Silversea is treating those who do have reservations very flippantly and disrespectfully. People have a right to enjoy their booking process and not be positioned into some agonizing limbo.

There is virtually no chance that in 6 weeks Japan will magically open up to cruise passengers, and if Silversea thinks they know better, well, where is the press release?

’nuff said.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Aloha Boy said:

I also am not optimistic about this cruise sailing.  At this stage, I would be open to SS altering the itinerary to include other ports of call to replace Japan. But do it now!!!! I believe this option is spelled out in the fine print of the SS agreement, “We reserve the right to alter the cruise itinerary for any reason,” (something like this). SS should not cancel at the final hour and burning bridges with many SS loyalists. That would be a big mistake!

They can change, delete or add ports but they cannot change an entire itinerary, including the embarkation and disembarkation port and expect people to go.  If this cruise turns into a Mexican cruise, if the embarkation and disembarkation changes this is not covered under their T and C.  If it were, Silversea or any other cruiseline, can sell a ton of cruises they have no chance of operating and then say, nevermind, we are making you go somewhere else even if you don’t want to go.

As markham said above this is not right.  They cancelled the Japan cruises for May 2022 in February of 2022.  6 weeks to go before the September 1 cruise, covid numbers at all time highs in Japan, no new announcements from the party that won a sweeping reelection on July 10 about allowing individuals in and yet they keep loyal guests in limbo.

Just a point of reference although a long time ago. We were booked on the Shadow Tokyo-Anchorage in May2011. The great tsunami intervened and we departed from Incheon instead of Tokyo. You were given the option of cancelling for a full refund or significant compensation with paying the airfare Tokyo Incheon, OBC and FCC each in the 4 figure range.

Japan you could say is a far more dangerous place now than it was then. We had arranged a few days in Tokyo before the cruise and happily kept our bookings. The background radiation in Tokyo then was actually lower than Melbourne Australia. But there was fear.

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

Just a point of reference although a long time ago. We were booked on the Shadow Tokyo-Anchorage in May2011. The great tsunami intervened and we departed from Incheon instead of Tokyo. You were given the option of cancelling for a full refund or significant compensation with paying the airfare Tokyo Incheon, OBC and FCC each in the 4 figure range.

Japan you could say is a far more dangerous place now than it was then. We had arranged a few days in Tokyo before the cruise and happily kept our bookings. The background radiation in Tokyo then was actually lower than Melbourne Australia. But there was fear.

That makes sense as the ship had to be in Alaska for the spring and summer cruises.  This situation is a bit different as currently ships are not being accepted in Japan or S. Korea so there really isn’t a place to go in Asia.   People here want to go to Japan but I think that realistically it is not going to happen and we would like to know sooner rather then the day before we get on the plane to meet the ship.

2 hours ago, cruisr said:

That makes sense as the ship had to be in Alaska for the spring and summer cruises.  This situation is a bit different as currently ships are not being accepted in Japan or S. Korea so there really isn’t a place to go in Asia.   People here want to go to Japan but I think that realistically it is not going to happen and we would like to know sooner rather then the day before we get on the plane to meet the ship.

I see three possibilities for this cruise, since the ship need to be in Australia later on. One option is to sail to the Far East, skip Japan and end in China (if open) or some other place around that area. (Since we booked P2P, buying last minute one way biz airfare from that far it would be very costly and a risk we are not willing to take)
option two: a two week Alaska cruise ending in Vancouver, then continue on with itineraries on her way to Australia.

third option: west coast cruise ending somewhere on the west coast, either Mexico or all the way in Costa Rica. 
All this option would begin in Seaward of course. With all the problems with air travel at the moment, it would be easier to return from Mexico or Costa Rica than from the Far East. Maybe! 
SS may find other solutions, but I think there is going to be a cruise that starts September 8, in Seward, AK, and ends somewhere two weeks later. 😉😊

7 hours ago, quepaquete said:

I see three possibilities for this cruise, since the ship need to be in Australia later on. One option is to sail to the Far East, skip Japan and end in China (if open) or some other place around that area. (Since we booked P2P, buying last minute one way biz airfare from that far it would be very costly and a risk we are not willing to take)
option two: a two week Alaska cruise ending in Vancouver, then continue on with itineraries on her way to Australia.

third option: west coast cruise ending somewhere on the west coast, either Mexico or all the way in Costa Rica. 
All this option would begin in Seaward of course. With all the problems with air travel at the moment, it would be easier to return from Mexico or Costa Rica than from the Far East. Maybe! 
SS may find other solutions, but I think there is going to be a cruise that starts September 8, in Seward, AK, and ends somewhere two weeks later. 😉😊

Option 4: cancel Asia and deadhead to Australia with possibly a dry dock in Singapore en route.

Edited by audobon_tx
  • Like 2

And here is another potential complication to these sailings. The last two cruises, before Shadow gets to Sydney to commence the world cruise, are Singapore-Bali and Bali-Sydney.  There has been a severe outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease in Bali in recent days and parts of our federal Opposition and calling for the border with Bali to be shut to protect the mammoth Australian livestock industry. So far the Government is resisting that, as are wiser heads amongst disease experts, farmer's organisations etc. But the potential is there and it should be on Silversea's "what if" list. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons (or maybe the cows?) as to what SS has to arrange to complete the Asian sailings and get the ship to Sydney for the World Cruise start. The WC would be a very high priority.

• Like 1

With lines stepping up to remove testing requirements, the difficulties in finding places within time frames is already becoming difficult. Moving forward to needing for a decreasing number of countries still needing one will amplify these problems. Lines all seemingly putting the responsibility to guests, it's an extra complication we all need to consider. 

55 minutes ago, MR_VIP said:

We are on the 1 Sept Muse from Vancouver to Osaka.  There has been considerable changes in our flights.  Is anyone else experiencing problems?

You might want to worry even more as to whether Silverseas is being honest with you  as to whether or not this cruise will run.

At this point midday -on Monday July 25th, Japan is experiencing another COVID wave and it is clear that the people (if not the politicians and the tourist industry in Japan are super afraid of cruisers bringing even more COVID. That is why they are for the first time requiring visas from US and Canadian travelers and  REFUSING to issue individual visas -instead requiring “group visas” from JAPANESE tour companies. It is totally unclear as to whether Silverseas will be able to change the government of Japan’s policy when every other cruise line except Oceania-for an October cruise_ has already cancelled their Japan 2022 cruises..

silverseas keeps sending messages that they are “optimistic” these cruises will run but do not disclose the basis for their optimism when COVID is raging in Japan and other cruise lines have already cancelled their w022 Japan bookings and are not yet allowing patrons to either cancel or transfer these bookings without penalty

• Like 1

My wonderful TA called the visa service company that Silversea uses and which they link on their website.  The Visa service said that one cannot apply for a Visa as the port agent for Silversea in Japan has not been able to secure authorization for the ship/passengers.  So, what is it exactly Silversea is optimistic about.

September 1 Vancouver to Tokyo is in a bit more than 5 weeks away.  This is really unfair to their loyal passengers and to people trying them for the first time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

My wonderful TA called the visa service company that Silversea uses and which they link on their website.  The Visa service said that one cannot apply for a Visa as the port agent for Silversea in Japan has not been able to secure authorization for the ship/passengers.  So, what is it exactly Silversea is optimistic about.

September 1 Vancouver to Tokyo is in a bit more than 5 weeks away.  This is really unfair to their loyal passengers and to people trying them for the first time.

I emailed the visa company a few weeks ago -same one from the mysilversea site- and their reply was: “yes, you need a visa for Japan, unfortunately we can’t help you” 

15% discount if you move to another booking before Aug. 30.  If you cannot commit to that you will receive a FCC for 100% of what you paid,  In small print is the fact you can get all your money back, of course,