When will Silversea cancel the Muse Japan cruises???

PaulMCO

I have a regent Japan cruise scheduled for March 2023.  I wasn’t even worried about it until reading all this.  We are doing our own air and hotel as usual, and I had no issues booking those.  Obviously I can cancel if the country is still closed, but now I have something else to worry about.

My TA called me and said SS is sending out emails saying that final payment and cancellations (other than admin fee) will be at 45 days prior to sailings which have Japan in them.  They also said they are optimistic the cruises will go.

I just spoke with my TA and with Silversea regarding the previous post stating that Silversea is offering cancelation prior to 45 days of Japan sailings.

As both my TA and with Silversea claim that they have not see such an email, would it be possible to request "cruisr" to post a copy of the email to this chat?

It would be extremely helpful to me and probably to many others in the same predicament.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

All great information being shared. Thank you

However, I believe that at this point Silversea (and perhaps other lines) are being illusive in an attempt to hold "us" captive. In our particular case, the cruise to Japan is scheduled to depart on September 1st with travel to Vancouver on August 30th. At this point, with only approximately 50 days to go, the cruise line should be admitting that there is a huge issue with Japanese Visas and granting "us" the option to wait until something happens with the Visas or refund our money so we can get another cruise and/or offer an acceptable alternative itinerary. The longer Silversea waits, the more difficult that it will become for "us" to replace the cruise during the same time period.

I strongly suggest that anyone that agrees begin respectfully yet forcefully communicating with Silversea until they understand that they need to consider the needs of "us" passengers and not continue to ignore the situation while holding us captive. Emails, phone calls, this chat and all other social medias are fair game.

I understand their needs but they need to understand ours.

I have already started communication with Silversea, my TA, this chat and the Japanese Consulate - I will continue to do so until I get results.

If anyone is interested I will post the names of the people at Silversea with whom I am communicating and if I have any success.

Please share your thoughts.

Has anyone received the email yet?  This is what my TA received.  It is cut and pasted.

The Japanese Government is in the process of opening up tourism gradually but constantly. We remain optimistic to be able to operate our planned Fall season in Japan. We are working very closely with the Japanese authorities and collaborating with them on finalizing operational protocols for international cruising.

While we work on finalizing these last details, we have decided to extend our cancellation penalties (percentages are on total cruise fare per person), see below.
  • Up to 45 days to sail: usual Admin Fee
  • From 44 to 0 days: 100%
During this time, we will continue to evaluate any developments and advise you accordingly. 
We thank you for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard

Best personal regards,

Barbara Muckermann
Chief Commercial Officer

19 hours ago, Razgumio said:

All great information being shared. Thank you

However, I believe that at this point Silversea (and perhaps other lines) are being illusive in an attempt to hold "us" captive. In our particular case, the cruise to Japan is scheduled to depart on September 1st with travel to Vancouver on August 30th. At this point, with only approximately 50 days to go, the cruise line should be admitting that there is a huge issue with Japanese Visas and granting "us" the option to wait until something happens with the Visas or refund our money so we can get another cruise and/or offer an acceptable alternative itinerary. The longer Silversea waits, the more difficult that it will become for "us" to replace the cruise during the same time period.

I strongly suggest that anyone that agrees begin respectfully yet forcefully communicating with Silversea until they understand that they need to consider the needs of "us" passengers and not continue to ignore the situation while holding us captive. Emails, phone calls, this chat and all other social medias are fair game.

I understand their needs but they need to understand ours.

I have already started communication with Silversea, my TA, this chat and the Japanese Consulate - I will continue to do so until I get results.

If anyone is interested I will post the names of the people at Silversea with whom I am communicating and if I have any success.

Please share your thoughts.

The only other cruiseline still offering cruises to Japan is Oceania and their ship Regatta is supposed to arrive after a transpacific from Los Angeles in October.  Being in Los Angeles they would be able to pivot to Mexico and or Hawaii from Ensenada.  I guess with both the Silversea ships in Alaska now they are probably trying to figure out what to do with the ships after Anchorage before they announce that Japan is cancelled?

Well the election is over and the Government has easily retained it's majority so if everything else was equal I would have expected some announcement from the Japanese Government in the next 2 weeks. Sadly everything is not equal and the assassination of Former PM Shinzo Abe must put any announcement on the back burner.

And just because you can book flights to Japan and hotels there for next year means nothing. We had an amazing trip booked for March,April this year with first class award flights on JAL and very cheap opening specials for the Intercontinental Pier 8 Yokohama. About 20% of current prices, needless to say it all fell through.

Although I still expect it to open later this year we have put off Japan travel until late next year.

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

And covid is increasing in Japan.  As such I don’t think they are going to be opening up for individual tourism and cruise ship visits anytime soon.

23 hours ago, cruisr said:
Has anyone received the email yet?  This is what my TA received.  It is cut and pasted.

The Japanese Government is in the process of opening up tourism gradually but constantly. We remain optimistic to be able to operate our planned Fall season in Japan. We are working very closely with the Japanese authorities and collaborating with them on finalizing operational protocols for international cruising.

While we work on finalizing these last details, we have decided to extend our cancellation penalties (percentages are on total cruise fare per person), see below.
  • Up to 45 days to sail: usual Admin Fee
  • From 44 to 0 days: 100%
During this time, we will continue to evaluate any developments and advise you accordingly. 
We thank you for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard

Best personal regards,

Barbara Muckermann
Chief Commercial Officer

This is outrageous. So if we cancel within 45 days because we can not get a visa thatonly Silverseas can get, not individuals, we will pay $1,000 to Silversea? And if they still haven’t announced in 45 days we pay for the entire cruise?

If you cancel today and it is still more then 45 days from final payment you still have to pay the $250.00 per person admin fee.  If they have not decided what to do and its 45 days before departure you are still expected to pay in full.  The early sailings to Japan are already paid in full as they fell under the standard rules of payment due dates.

I feel really bad for the people leaving on September 1 as its getting pretty close and if they need to make alternate plans due to Silversea cancelling they may have a hard time finding something.

• Like 2

Just confirmed (with OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE from Silversea) that for our cruise to Japan on MUSE, starting 10/21/22 the last day for cancellation without further penalty is 55 days before start of cruise, NOT 45 days.

1 hour ago, docmark said:

Just confirmed (with OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE from Silversea) that for our cruise to Japan on MUSE, starting 10/21/22 the last day for cancellation without further penalty is 55 days before start of cruise, NOT 45 days.

Interesting all my official correspondence says 45 days before.  My cruise is before yours. My TA called and verified and it is 45 days before.  As I and she have it writing I am not worried and going with 45 days.

I'm on the Muse, November 18, Hong Kong to Singapore, and my travel agent called today to say that final payment has been extended to Sept. 4. That's 75 days out for my cruise. It's only logical that if the Japan cruises are changed, the cruises that follow will have to be changed too. This a case where Door to Door makes things a lot easier with itinerary changes highly possible.

Edited by Texas Tillie

15 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I'm on the Muse, November 18, Hong Kong to Singapore, and my travel agent called today to say that final payment has been extended to Sept. 4. That's 75 days out for my cruise. It's only logical that if the Japan cruises are changed, the cruises that follow will have to be changed too. This a case where Door to Door makes things a lot easier with itinerary changes highly possible.

This whole thing makes no sense.  The first sailing heading to Japan is on September 1.   I would hope they let people know if it is going or not going before that.  If that and the other September cruises get cancelled it would have to have a knock on effect for the season, including yours.  

5 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Well, the early sailings now have a 15% penalty if we cancel more than 22 days out and if we cancel within 21 days its 100% cancellation.  They are still saying they are working with their contacts.

Just got the email from T/A too; wish they would at least offer the 15% penalty as a future cruise credit. 

September for Japan is now looking far too optimistic. Japan has held their election last weekend. The Government won easily. An update on travel restrictions was to have happened yesterday. At least they didn't go backwards. here is the reason for no progress.

japan-covid-cases-july-19-2022.jpg.facd10908149993f1586fe804f57e9c7.jpg

Yes a massive increase in cases despite the Japanese continuing to wear masks outdoors.

However if you are not scheduled to cruise around Japan in September there is some good news. despite record infections there are only 129 serious cases in hospitals compared to over 2000 in previous waves.

However I would expect SS is going to be forced into cancelling September cruises.

• Thanks 1