When will Silversea cancel the Muse Japan cruises???

PaulMCO

Finally Silversea cancelled the Japan cruises on the Muse for April (disappeared off their site in the UK). We have missed two years on the spin now to Japan and we have moved our sailing to Europe on the Silver Dawn instead this April. Maybe we will have another go in 2023 but not sure. I never understood the long delays in cancelling by Silversea which meant making new arrangements, many of the other cruise lines called it somewhat earlier.

Edited by Yosemitephil
spelling error

1 hour ago, RobLWD said:

Does anyone have experience of Silversea cancelling cruises then offering replacements?In particular do they honour previously paid for business class flights.That would only be right yes?

If you booked with your air with Silversea, then you will loose nothing. If you booked on your own, then you will need to ask for a credit or refund with your airlines. 

1 hour ago, RobLWD said:

In particular do they honour previously paid for business class flights.

Air booked with Silversea is part of the refund (or I believe it can be FCC if you prefer). Here's what today's email said about flights book with Silversea vs independent:

• The refund of 3rd party items purchased via Silversea such as air upgrades, air deviation fees, transfers, insurance, hotel, land tours, pre and post and overland tours, will be net of any penalties assessed by the suppliers. Regarding the refund of 3rd party items purchased independently such as such as air upgrades, deviations, transfers, insurance, hotel, land tours and pre and post and overland tours; please reach out to the airline carrier, tour operator, or hotel supplier/chain directly to discuss options. In the case of sailings cancelled by Silversea, the refund of cancellation costs of any independent air arrangements will be evaluated upon the presentation of the expenses to our guest relations department. 

So if a previously booked trip with (Silversea included) business flights is cancelled by Silversea do they honour the business class flights if you take their suggested alternative cruise at a later date?Does anyone have experience of this particular situation?

4 minutes ago, RobLWD said:

So if a previously booked trip with (Silversea included) business flights is cancelled by Silversea do they honour the business class flights if you take their suggested alternative cruise at a later date?

Don’t they have you book the new cruise on the current terms and pricing? While you might get bonus FCC to book that new cruise the terms and inclusions of the new cruise will only include the current offers that are available

5 hours ago, RobLWD said:

So if a previously booked trip with (Silversea included) business flights is cancelled by Silversea do they honour the business class flights if you take their suggested alternative cruise at a later date?Does anyone have experience of this particular situation?

When my Nov 20 South American cruise was cancelled, I had paid for an upgrade on the flights, which was lost when the booking was transferred to the Jan 22 sailing. That said, it was a bit complicated so maybe not the best example to use. The newer cruise fare was more expensive and there were SS price adjustments made over and above the FCC so I just accepted the deal offered with gratitude.

My May Japan sailing has just gone. The offer this time is a direct transfer to the new cruise so I'm guessing if I had done similar for flights here, they would have been transferred. Obviously the terms offered are different to the first example.

That said, the wording omits flight details. I've a feeling upgrades may be lost. 

A. Move your reservation to an alternate sailing of specified voyages (regardless of increased fares) at the same favourable per person, per day fare you’ve secured for your original booking. Any exceeding balance will be refunded or issued as a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) if applicable. This offer also includes free shore excursions (one per port) as well as the complimentary Door-to-Door services of private executive transfers between home and/or airport/port.

This offer works really well for me personally.i was expecting a fight and arguement I should be allowed to transfer for the second time to the same cruise in the future. My work would have been cut out as the offer is different. It now includes excursions and door to door transfers, weakening my claim. Luckily this offer ticks the box. It will unfortunately mean having to cancel another booking I have which would mean travelling again approx 1 month after returning home. Fine with me (I'd happily sail a month after the last finished repeatedly)... But my wife can't without difficulties with her business.

Edited by les37b

18 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

We were told no, SS will not issue additional VS Days for cancelled voyages whereby an FCC was used to pay for the cruise.

Which is fair enough as a VS credit has already been applied. My cancelled cruises in my VS account all show as "cancelled" but for some reason, Japan is showing as "VS adjustment" and shown with the now cancelled sailing named. Hope they leave it be! 

Edited by les37b

Have now rebooked Muse for April 26 2023 and added another for Jan 2024 on the Dawn. I have to admit I did kinda misread the offer thinking it would be without cost, but that was more because I had it in my head the original booking was 16 days when it was in fact 14. So..... there was a Per Diem charge based on the original gross price. (ie extra cost is not based on the amount that I paid with EBB, VS, Onboard discount etc) So it has cost me more than expected, but I'm still fine with the cost as it could have been a disaster if it went as I was half expecting. On the strength of being able to transfer for just £700PP, I also booked the second one which I was umming and ahhing over. 

At one point I thought it was going to neither - so being fair, does pay dividends!

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 4:36 PM, FauxNom said:

Condolences to all 😕. Got the email about my Shadow trip cancellation. No bonus for me because this one was booked with FCC. 

Are we still getting Venetian days for cancelled cruises?

I was told not for cancelled cruises covered by FCC.   I suppose thats fair really.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this older thread as the title is still applicable.

Friends I have in Japan, in the hospitality industry,  are telling me that they very much doubt cruises will return to Japan this year,  The small amount of approved tour groups that are starting are “bubble” tours with no independent exploring.  You must stay with your bubble at all times and masks must be worn at all times except when eating drinking or in your hotel room of course.  Only three airports are approved for accepting these grouos for arrivals and departures,

Japan is testing the waters with these small tourist groups,  There is an election coming up in Japan this summer so that may effect things but currently I don’t think the Muse will be visiting Japan this year.

• Thanks 1

"Japan is testing the waters with these small tourist groups,  There is an election coming up in Japan this summer so that may effect things but currently I don’t think the Muse will be visiting Japan this year."

---Hope you are wrong, have a 2- week cruise booked on Muse, starting late October.

I realize it is somewhat of a long shot, but keep hoping

1 hour ago, silkismom said:

We've had our Japan RT SS cruise canceled 2X (2021 & 2022) now scheduled for Apr 2023--if that is canceled too, I'll give up and do something else.

I expect it will end up costing a bit more!

You must be on the one before mine. After the Panama I had given up on for the second time actually sailed. Never say never. I'm hoping third time lucky!

11 hours ago, notjaded said:

Anyone who is booked on a Japan cruise for 2022 been given information directly from Silversea about the status of their cruise? Can one independently travel to Japan and meet up with the ship? Thanks!

At this time one cannot travel independently as a tourist to Japan.  It has to be as part of a group, on a approved group tour,  This could change but as of now independent  tourists cannot fly to Japan which makes the ship visiting Japan problematic to say the least.

• Like 1

Japan has an election for half the Upper House seats on July 10. There is basically no chance that Independent tourism will be allowed before then. Although a month ago the PM was set for an easy win now inflation and the falling Yen have seriously eroded his support.