Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

2 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

Sorry .. assumed you were arriving in UK.   Testing is free of charge sailing of Southampton.  Not sure about the Mediterranean ports.  If you are boarding shortly after flying the  requirement for your flight should still be valid for cruise.  If you are doing a hotel stay pre cruise Princess should advice on what is required.  

On 2/25/2022 at 5:11 PM, san diego sue said:

So you think Covid testing is  beyond a joke when you  got your two shots plus booster. I pretty much isolate and barely go out unless I have to. Right before I was to cruise to Hawaii tested positive  for Covid. I had the two shots plus booster. This isn't a joke. Testing is necessary. Even if you don't think you are sick and that slight cold starting feels like a cold but isn't.

Sorry but I agree it’s the testing system that’s a joke.  
if someone tests 3 days before joining the ship there is ample time for them to pick up a Covid infection pre boarding.  
Here in the UK everyone is tested free of charge immediately before boarding at the port.  No exceptions.  Positive result will prevent boarding.  

2 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Sorry .. assumed you were arriving in UK.   Testing is free of charge sailing of Southampton.  Not sure about the Mediterranean ports.  If you are boarding shortly after flying the  requirement for your flight should still be valid for cruise.  If you are doing a hotel stay pre cruise Princess should advice on what is required.  

No testing required for flights into Europe from the UK. 

We’re scheduled to embark out of FLL a week from today.  My husband had covid 3 weeks ago (very mild case, and symptoms gone within 3 days).  He did an antigen at home test 3 weeks ago, so no lab results, and never went to a doctor.  He tested yesterday, just to be sure he is now testing negative for our cruise, and his at home antigen test shows a very very slight blue (positive) line.  Now we’re concerned that will still be the case in a week.  Anyone else experience this?  He doesn’t meet the requirements to be exempt since he doesn’t have lab results proving he had covid within the last 90 days.  We are both fully vaccinated and boosted.  I never tested positive.

2 hours ago, Meditrina said:

We’re scheduled to embark out of FLL a week from today.  My husband had covid 3 weeks ago (very mild case, and symptoms gone within 3 days).  He did an antigen at home test 3 weeks ago, so no lab results, and never went to a doctor.  He tested yesterday, just to be sure he is now testing negative for our cruise, and his at home antigen test shows a very very slight blue (positive) line.  Now we’re concerned that will still be the case in a week.  Anyone else experience this?  He doesn’t meet the requirements to be exempt since he doesn’t have lab results proving he had covid within the last 90 days.  We are both fully vaccinated and boosted.  I never tested positive.

I tested positive with a rapid test I had done at CVS, after I isolated, then took a PCR test from my medical center. I was glad it came back negative. I too was worried because although well, it can still show up in your system when you do a PCR test for up to 90 days. I have copies of my positive test  results as well as my negative one done at my medical center.I am hanging on to those tests in case I need to show them. In order to cruise, you will need to have a negative test. Make sure to take the Rapid test because the more sensitive PCR may still show Covid.

2 hours ago, san diego sue said:

I tested positive with a rapid test I had done at CVS, after I isolated, then took a PCR test from my medical center. I was glad it came back negative. I too was worried because although well, it can still show up in your system when you do a PCR test for up to 90 days. I have copies of my positive test  results as well as my negative one done at my medical center.I am hanging on to those tests in case I need to show them. In order to cruise, you will need to have a negative test. Make sure to take the Rapid test because the more sensitive PCR may still show Covid.

But the quick antigen tests seem to have a habit of coming up with false positives for people who have never had covid. I feel better with the PCR. Have always gotten results in under 12 hours

With the updated policy, we are looking to book with our 1.5 year old this month for Mexico. We have FCC expiring since Princess cancelled on us three times not allowing our baby to cruise with us, but I need some answers first. I cannot get through to anyone with these wait times. Has anyone heard if they are allowing babies to be exempt from the covid test at the pier (being unvaccinated)?

I am also wondering about getting off as a family in ports of call. I would hope they allow unvaccinated babies to freely go to the beach with their parents but it is not clear on the website.

Any firsthand confirmed info would be helpful!

2 minutes ago, WestcoastGirl12 said:

I am also wondering about getting off as a family in ports of call. I would hope they allow unvaccinated babies to freely go to the beach with their parents but it is not clear on the website.

I believe this falls under the jurisdiction of each individual port, and Princess wouldn't have a say in that.  You might need to check the travel requirements for each country you plan to visit.

I'm cruising in 9 days so I want to make my test appointment.  I have my choice of CVS or Walgreens, they each have plenty of appointment availability and either one is convenient to my home.  I'm going for the rapid antigen test, whichever I go to.  

Is one better than the other for cruise covid testing purposes?

13 minutes ago, pompeii said:

I'm cruising in 9 days so I want to make my test appointment.  I have my choice of CVS or Walgreens, they each have plenty of appointment availability and either one is convenient to my home.  I'm going for the rapid antigen test, whichever I go to.  

We and some visiting friends have used Walgreens here near Fort Lauderdale and my DH and I will do so again next Tuesday (I made our appointments early this morning).  A difference I noticed on the sign in questionnaire is that in the last 2 months CVS dropped the question whether the test was pre or post travel related.  That question is still on the Walgreens questionnaire.  Is the difference important?  I have no idea.  

We have used these proctored kits from Abbott/Optum in the past.  When we last ordered them they came with a letter extending the expiration date.

Has anyone recently ordered these and can you please tell me what the expiration dates is on your recent order?

Thanks in advance....LOVE these forums!

10 hours ago, pompeii said:

The difference is cost and rate of accuracy.  PCR is more expensive, longer for a result but accurate.  The rapid antigen is less costly and known for a few false positive rates.  Both are fine for cruising.

Check your insurance carrier for coverage if you are charged, some do pick up the cost for travel tests.

Due to a previous false positive rapid antigen test, we decided to go for the PCR test. However, if we get canceled for the PCR test, I already purchased the Binax proctored test as a back up.  Also boarding in 9 days!!.

11 hours ago, ElkGroveCruiser said:

We have used these proctored kits from Abbott/Optum in the past.  When we last ordered them they came with a letter extending the expiration date.

Has anyone recently ordered these and can you please tell me what the expiration dates is on your recent order?

Thanks in advance....LOVE these forums!

We recently received the two-pack from Optum and they expire Nov 2022.

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Cruising 3/27/22. Travel Summary long showed two days pre-cruise testing for PCR and antigen. Then it showed three days for a couple of days last week for both, then back to two days for both. It is now past March 1 and it is still showing two days. 

Same with my 4/30 cruise. Hope to see some change in a few weeks

I booked the Denali Explorer tour from 6/8 to 6/18.  The trip begins with a night at the McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge and then a night at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge.  And then a train ride down to Whittier on 6/11 to board the Majestic Princess for a 7-day cruise down to Vancouver.  So, if I need to have a negative COVID PCR or antigen test result within 2 days of embarkation on the Majestic Princess, where will I be able to do the test prior to boarding the ship?  Do they test at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge?

6 hours ago, JockoFlocko said:

I booked the Denali Explorer tour from 6/8 to 6/18.  The trip begins with a night at the McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge and then a night at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge.  And then a train ride down to Whittier on 6/11 to board the Majestic Princess for a 7-day cruise down to Vancouver.  So, if I need to have a negative COVID PCR or antigen test result within 2 days of embarkation on the Majestic Princess, where will I be able to do the test prior to boarding the ship?  Do they test at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge?

Yeah, I wish they'd just come out and tell us how they're going to handle the testing for the Alaska cruise-tours so we all know before making final payments.

Certainly, they must have thought about the pre-cruise tours testing for this Alaska season already, they've had 2 years to figured it out, so why keep it a secret from the tour guests now ??? 

If you call and ask you get 3 different answers from 3 different agents...  #@!$#!!

Come on, just tell us what to expect.....

22 hours ago, srpilo said:

Yeah, I wish they'd just come out and tell us how they're going to handle the testing for the Alaska cruise-tours so we all know before making final payments.

Certainly, they must have thought about the pre-cruise tours testing for this Alaska season already, they've had 2 years to figured it out, so why keep it a secret from the tour guests now ??? 

If you call and ask you get 3 different answers from 3 different agents...  #@!$#!!

Come on, just tell us what to expect.....

We sailed in August 2021 with Princess.  We got a rapid PCR test on Friday afternoon, got the results before we got home (10 minute drive).  Left Saturday AM for Seattle.  Boarded Sunday. around noon.  No problem.  

59 minutes ago, PatriciaF said:

We sailed in August 2021 with Princess.  We got a rapid PCR test on Friday afternoon, got the results before we got home (10 minute drive).  Left Saturday AM for Seattle.  Boarded Sunday. around noon.  No problem.  

Please in the future read the posts correctly before responding... 

The comments you quoted were relating specifically to Alaska Cruise Tours and the land portion before the cruise , and not the cruise only portion.which I'm sure this thread has covered the testing requirements countless times

• Like 1

Just to follow-up on this, I called Princess yesterday with a question about excursions, and while I had them on the phone I asked about this.  She said the testing requirements will probably change again before June.  But if they don't, she said there will probably be some way to do the test at the pier.  But since she only works with excursions, she didn't know the specifics.

I recently got two of the US government issued iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test kits.  These are supposed to give results in 15 minutes.  Would Princess accept these results if I used these the day before embarkation?

11 minutes ago, JockoFlocko said:

I recently got two of the US government issued iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test kits.  These are supposed to give results in 15 minutes.  Would Princess accept these results if I used these the day before embarkation?

Is it a proctored test, i.e. is a designated health worker (usually remotely) watching the testing and verifying the results?  If not, Princess will not accept it. 

See the Princess website for details or just go back a few pages on this thread.  I'm sure the details are posted here multiple times.

Added: from the on-line FAQs.  I added the bolding. (https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/😞

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as an at-home test)...

Edited by capriccio

23 minutes ago, JockoFlocko said:

No, these tests CANNOT be used for boarding as the results are not verified.