Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

We are trying to sign up for a Walgreens Rapid test.  The Rapid antigen is only available 2.5 hours from here.

Rapid Diagnostic-  ID Now  is available at Walgreens here.  
Does this Rapid diagnostic -ID Now test qualify for Princess? 
Thanks! 

Edited by jeno

20 minutes ago, jeno said:

We are trying to sign up for a Walgreens Rapid test.  The Rapid antigen is only available 2.5 hours from here.

Rapid Diagnostic-  ID Now  is available at Walgreens here.  
Does this Rapid diagnostic -ID Now test qualify for Princess? 
Thanks! 

We had no problems using it last month on a Princess cruise and will use it again next month.  We received our test results within 40 minutes.  Although there is a disclaimer that it can take up to 24 hours, the staffer proctoring our tests said it could be up to a couple of hours but probably much quicker.  We had barely gotten home after running a few errands when the tests were in our email.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

I want to bring a few COVID home test kits with me.   Does anyone know if test kits are allowed in carry-on or must be in checked luggage?  Flight from Los Angeles to Ft. Lauderdale on American Airlines. Thank you.  

Excellent question.  I read that they need to be stored between certain temperatures.  Cargo hold is 45 degrees.  Test say no lower than 33 degrees.  I am guessing that they could be carried in hand luggage since vials are only a few ml.  The question is....would it have to be "declared" and opened thus invalidating the Binax Now eMed kit.

43 minutes ago, diane.in.ny said:

Asking for a friend. 

They got delayed due to weather and meeting ship at a port of call. Their covid test will be outside the 2 day time-frame.  

How can they get tested? Will Princess test them at the port?

Somewhere buried in the details, there’s word from Princess that they understand travel nightmares happen.  They will probably administer the test upon boarding. 

Apologies upfront if there is an answer to the following question buried in the previous 9 pages.....

Will Princess do PCR testing (free or for a fee) prior to disembarkation in Europe this summer (more specifically in Athens in May)?

Thanks in advance.

craig

17 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

ID Now is a molecular test and exceeds the stated requirements of Princess. Note that molecular tests such as IDNow may continue to report Positive results long after the patient isn’t contagious.  

Directly from the Princess website:

NAAT include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test ***********************************************
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

I board the Regal on Saturday, so will be testing on Thursday.  My plan is to be tested at a local pharmacy and they said my results would be printed on their letterhead to take with me.  I notice Princess' website says the test has to be "medically-observed."  Does a pharmacy count for that?  

ETA:  I believe I have just answered my own question, as I see that the website says "Contact your nearest health center, pharmacy (including CVS and Walgreens), state health department, or transiting airport to learn more about their availability for COVID-19 testing."  It is not a CVS/Walgreens, but a locally-owned pharmacy, but sounds like it should be fine, correct?

Edited by lacy1101
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, lacy1101 said:

I notice Princess' website says the test has to be "medically-observed."  Does a pharmacy count for that?  

ETA:  I believe I have just answered my own question, as I see that the website says "Contact your nearest health center, pharmacy (including CVS and Walgreens), state health department, or transiting airport to learn more about their availability for COVID-19 testing."  It is not a CVS/Walgreens, but a locally-owned pharmacy, but sounds like it should be fine, correct?

Call them and ask if 1) it is a proctored test and 2) does the type of test meet the Princess requirements (see the health protocols/frequently asked questions on the website) and post 212 above.

Edited by capriccio

i Have ordered the BinexNow OTC rapid tests? Are these acceptable for Princess? If not, could someone please tell me where I can get the rapid test in Ft. Lauderdale? I’m at my wit’s end. We are driving and 48 hrs is hard for us.I’ve seen that the rapid tests are accepted but not that they required a proctor. This is my problem 

Edited by Grammyluvs

6 minutes ago, Grammyluvs said:

i Have ordered the BinexNow OTC rapid tests? Are these acceptable for Princess? If not, could someone please tell me where I can get the rapid test in Ft. Lauderdale? I’m at my wit’s end. We are driving and 48 hrs is hard for us.I’ve seen that the rapid tests are accepted but not that they required a proctor. This is my problem 

Unfortunately, no. They are not proctored. The BinaxNow test you need must read Rx only on the front.

31 minutes ago, Grammyluvs said:

We were able to get the tests done the day before our December cruise by booking an appointment online using CVS.com.  The CVS Community Site location at 10001 Sheridan Street in Cooper City seemed to have more openings available, and as you are driving and have the ability to get there - about 20 minutes drive from the port - that might be an option for you.  Good luck!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kamelia said:

We were able to get the tests done the day before our December cruise by booking an appointment online using CVS.com.  The CVS Community Site location at 10001 Sheridan Street in Cooper City seemed to have more openings available, and as you are driving and have the ability to get there - about 20 minutes drive from the port - that might be an option for you.  Good luck!

@kameliaCheck the Florida Departure Ports forum.  I will too since I've seen a recent post about Fort Lauderdale test sites.

• Like 1

We're sailing on the Royal Princess in May from Vancouver. My question isn't about testing to get *on* the ship, but testing to get off. 

Currently, I believe Princess is doing complimentary disembarkation testing at US ports for foreigners who need a test to get back to their home country. But I can't seem to find anything for departures from foreign ports for US citizens. I'm just trying to figure out what we might need to do/book/plan, and I can't seem to find anything. Will Canada require on-board testing to disembark? Will Princess provide these onboard? Or in the terminal? Or are we on our own?

If anyone has any details, I'd appreciate it. 

Literally nobody knows - the current requirement would be for a PCR test before passengers arrive in Canada, period, full stop.  

The answer most of the Canadian tourism industry wants to see is either no testing for vaxxed/boosted or surface antigen on arrival. But any decision on this is a couple of months off. 

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

@kameliaJust added a couple of threads to my post.  Good luck!

@kameliaand @Grammyluvs  Sorry - it looks like I added the threads to my post just as the edit time period expired.  In case you haven't found them:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2828804-rapid-antigen-fort-la/#comment-62593799

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2812030-rapid-antigen-test-near-pier-and-airport-ft-lauderdale-see-below-2-locations/page/4/#comment-62595161

On 2/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, capriccio said:

Call them and ask if 1) it is a proctored test and 2) does the type of test meet the Princess requirements (see the health protocols/frequently asked questions on the website) and post 212 above.

If a pharmacist/pharmacy tech is actually administering the test, that's a proctored test, correct?