The Daily for Thursday 01/13/2022

richwmn

We were in Ephesus in October 1999 as part of our 12-day Holy Lands cruise on the Rotterdam. My 86 year old mother joined us. Such an inspirational day walking in the footprints of St Paul.

-Melisa

A map of Ephesus.

IMG_20220113_084355273.thumb.jpg.d8786a3de84e2cf55cfd773595897e88.jpg

Hercules Gate

IMG_20220113_083844237.thumb.jpg.3277522d106dacf37ed313ba212c0507.jpg

Temple of Hadrian

IMG_20220113_090312880.thumb.jpg.9067e3e0361e8d56c8732b0c7ff6a759.jpg

Mother resting near The Baths. 

IMG_20220113_083832405.thumb.jpg.7758ce578a02d4adedd7a1cb44fad068.jpg

The Baths included toilets with a running stream of water underneath. 

IMG_20220113_083952211.thumb.jpg.11b9e505c2d07dc1988246b48cdb1c4b.jpg

The Library of Celsus

IMG_20220113_084015900.thumb.jpg.71d0f3833b4756a9ff121e3ccdc468e4.jpg

The Great Theatre

IMG_20220113_084056835.thumb.jpg.a95a3b3fc04e913cb29ee31d0e25c0ef.jpg

The Marble Way ~ the way of St Paul

IMG_20220113_084148456.thumb.jpg.e6fbe87900b5ff13997a99dfe7804b96.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach.

The quote is a good one and very true. Dont know why people cant just tell the truth!

We had a Rubber Duckies race a few years ago for a charity event. It was a lot of fun.

Have not been to todays port. We go to trivia tonite so no cooking for me.

We have a big rocket launch this AM.  This time the rocket booster will return to the Cape Canaveral. It is an amazing thing to see.  I have to go turn off my car alarm because when the sonic booms hit, it sets everything off!.    People are already lining up on the beach.

I continue to pray for all our friends and hope that things begin to improve soon.  The list is too long!

Be Safe and enjoy today

• Like 33

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Generally I feel good but have continuing fatigue and lethargy in the evening.  I am usually pretty worthless after about 7 to 8 PM.

Roy

Sorry to hear this Roy.

Hopefully your fatigue levels improve significantly in the very near future.

Graham.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

It is supposed to stay warm today, but temps will dip back down starting tomorrow.  Chance of getting dumped on with snow this weekend.  We shall see.  I'm hitting the pool this morning, home for a webinar, and then down to the med school to donate blood.  With a shortage in crisis category and having O negative, I thought it was my duty.

Today's meal sounds tasty!   Unfortunately, the carb count will keep me away.   The first recipe also has tips on how to keep your tortillas from getting soggy.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/simple-chicken-enchiladas/

2005959288_chickenenchiladas.jpg.16799f92a540b36c976639720684e6e1.jpg

In this next one, Isabel gives us some tips on making quick, easy, and delicious enchiladas.   https://www.isabeleats.com/red-chicken-enchiladas/

chicken-enchiladas-2020-small-3-650x975.thumb.jpg.19b8edc07a6541f8990962b4af1571c3.jpg

In this next recipe Blair uses black beans and Mexican corn.   Mmmmmm   https://www.theseasonedmom.com/easy-chicken-enchiladas/

Easy-Chicken-Enchiladas-2.thumb.jpg.5a8b5b21aef05ecef3796d58127747a4.jpg

And these just looked so good!    https://www.feastingathome.com/simple-chicken-enchiladas/

enchildadas-verde-5-1024x1536.thumb.jpg.fa68dabecbcf4893790fa0132e0f4680.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, strength for those who need, peace and healing for those who need it.  

Enjoy!

Debbie, I think I gained a pound just looking at your recipes pictures of the day. You do a fantastic job in providing us with dining options. Thanks.

• Like 22

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

216106403_GreatOmelette.thumb.jpg.f1332b7a443b1fba16c2809119dc9c21.jpg

My kind of Omelet, Jerry.  Thank you for the idea!  

Wet again here but not as windy so will be an easy drive back to the coast for the weekend.

Then it is a full week of helping with the grandkids getting them to and from school.  Yesterday was a great time with them.  Got homework done with the incentive of a bike ride which turned to be wonderful.  Listened to the trumpet practice from my grandson.  Amazed with the progress he has made if a few short months.

Great quote.  Was thinking of picking up enchiladas from Costco on the way back to our other place so I don't have to eat out of the freezer tonight.  

Prayers for all.  Jacqui, may your day be filled with many blessings from all the prayers coming your way.  Cheers to those celebrating.  

Better go get some breakfast so we can be on our way...can't get the "omelet" out of my head!!

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 25

Good morning everyone and Happy Thursday. Great collection of days today. I still have the rubber duckies I bought when our DGD was a baby. I have about 10. I think it’s important to be skeptical about some things or else we might be taken advantage of. One of my dreams came true on my last cruise— Christmas and New Year on a BHB. 

The meal suggestion is one I make a lot and one of my favorites. Yesterday I went to TJ’s and bought their whole lemon chicken and Craig made mashed potatoes. It was really good. Today I might just make the enchiladas. I use canned enchilada sauce, usually green sauce, and corn tortillas. 

While I was at TJ’s yesterday DS called and asked if I could shop for them. Turns out his SO caught covid from him and DGD. So they are all in quarantine but on the mend. So I was able to get everything but one thing on their list and dropped off two large grocery bags on my way home. 

We went to Kusadasi on our 2001 Mediterranean cruise on the Rotterdam. We took the tour to Ephesus and several other sights. Our pictures are much like @HAL Sailer.  We also had lunch at a resort and it seems like we went to a rug place too. We also met Bob & Pat @bobpatj on that cruise. BTW, Pat, what is happening with your cruise?  Did it get rescheduled?

Prayers for those on the Care list and extra for Jose, Jacqui @kazu, Miko & Marley, Tana, Roy @rafinmd

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25

Good morning friends!  I'm hours late today because after the gym we went out to pick up some things at the stores.  We didn't want to wait for the weekend because people will be buying out the bread and milk aisles when they start panicking about the winter storm coming through Sunday into Monday.  Even without the storm we find many problems getting food into the stores.  We've been looking for our favorite frozen egg rolls for a month and a half, but those shelves remain empty.

I've tried texting DD because I don't want to call and wake her if she's napping.  But so far no response.  I'll have to let you know later what she says.  Thanks for the inquiries on her.  

Kusadasi is an excellent port of the day.  We've enjoyed visits there three times.  I thought Ephesus was stunning!  Thank you @HAL Sailerfor your selection of photos today.  How nice your DM was able to go with you.  @Heartgroveso awful that some residents just got their power restored and it may be going out again if you get hit hard.  Maybe it won't be as bad as they predict now.  Good luck!  @marshhawkit's great news you have a new campaign to work on.  I hope DH has a safe trip and can visit with his family while seeing his step mom.  @cat shepardthank you for the library memes!  We've really enjoyed their humor!  @smitty34877 it's good to hear there is some sign of improvement with Tana's oxygen.  Let's keep this on a roll now!  Our Care list is so long now unfortunately.  Many prayers for everyone, especially Jose and Jacqui, and Tana.  🙏

Thanks for the lists today Roy and I hope the fatigue begins to go away soon.  Cheers for our celebrating members!

The enchilada recipes look delicious.  We may be picking up a rotisserie chicken later today when we go to Sam's Club.  So it's great timing!  The quote about truth is simple yet powerful.  So kudos to Mark Twain.  I love rubber duckie day.  We had one for the kids and grandkids but I can't say I remember seeing it anymore so perhaps I handed it down to DD for her use with the kids.  Skeptics Day is interesting.  It brings to mind the Missouri state nickname "Show Me State".  You have to show us proof before we believe everything we hear.  Stubborn?  Maybe.  The final day we're honoring here is make your dream come true day, and I really like that one.  It sounds like a person who is going in the right direction.  Something to strive for in all of our cases.

DD just texted she just got up and will get right back to me.  Further reports later.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  What a good collection of days, as an accountant I am put in the position of being a skeptic every day and it can get a little wearing.  I prefer make your dreams come true day.  Rubber duckies don’t really do anything for me although some really enjoy taking them on cruises.  Very true quote today, plus you can sleep at night.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious as does the wine.  I haven’t been to today’s port but hope to visit on our retirement cruise next year.  Prayers for everyone in need and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  Happy birthday to my friend Liam in Jersey City as well!

Happy  birthday Liam.        Jim.

• Like 16

@kazu, I'm a day late reading yesterday's The Daily, so today's messages of extra support for you & yours took me to your Wednesday message that "things are not good in so many ways".

I join all the others in sending care, prayer, and hugs. Please wrap your arms around yourself and squeeze.

-Melisa

• Like 23

Good morning.  Ephesus is an amazing destination.  On our visit, we made an extra stop at "The House of the Virgin Mary,"  said to be where Mary spent the end of her life.  I'm looking this minute on my shelf at a little vial of water from the fountain there.  It's a lovely little spot, with a small chapel and a "wishing wall."  Very nice place to visit.  

My wish today is that all have a safe and pleasant Thursday.  😊

• Like 26

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you @HAL Sailerfor your selection of photos today.  How nice your DM was able to go with you. 

I was born rather late in my parent's lives -- they were 40 & 45 -- so I was blessed that DM lived to almost 98. Her life was an example I'd be blessed to match: widowed for 26 years she played league golf till 90, traveled the world till losing her vision at 93, and walked two miles each day till just weeks before passing. In Ephesus and elsewhere, my DH and I could hardly keep up with her!

-Melisa

• Like 30

Word came from HAL yesterday afternoon, that our Nieuw Amsterdam Jan. 29th cruise was cancelled.  Now we’ll see if there is another ship, in port, we can try to book.  (We’re still onboard Rotterdam on Jan. 23rd for 6 days.)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I was able to speak with DD for a bit.  She's very tired and may be taking another nap soon.  The pain pills made her itchy so she had to take Benadryl to combat that.  The Benadryl could be another reason she's sleepy.  The arm and hand are pretty swollen, so she's going to loosen the bandage on her hand, and is icing her elbow.  She said her face felt swollen too.  In addition she has a headache!  So looks like today is not going to be a good one, but I'm hoping tomorrow is better.  🤞

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

Good morning all!

I'm later than usual today, I had an early morning fasting labs appointment.  The next priority was to make coffee and breakfast, then catch up on 2 pages of the Daily!  

I'll take "Make Your Dream Come True" because mine has, and that's to see the world!  A little bit of skepticism is good so you aren't taken advantage of, will pass on the rubber duckies.  The meal sounds very good, not sure what we'll be having tonight.  The drink also sounds good.  Even a gift box doesn't make up for the price on that wine 😉  😱

We've been to Ephesus twice and loved both times.  But it was pre-digital, and my photos would be like everyone else's so I'll just enjoy those. 🙂  

@smitty34877Terry that's great news that Tana's oxygen needs are heading in the right direction. 

@marshhawkthat's wonderful news that you're set up with a new campaign!

Continued prayers for Jacqui and Jose.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! I like Make Your Dreams Come True Day, but frankly, I have my doubts about International Skeptics Day. The quote is so true. The meal sounds good for this winter weather. @kazu Prayers for strength for Jacqui and improvement for Jose and the pups. @rafinmd Roy, I hope your strength returns soon. @StLouisCruisers Sandi, I hope your DD has a better day than it sounds so far.

Not much here, given the weather, so I’ll leave you with my

Ode to Winter ( sung to the tune of Silver Bells)

City sidewalks, city sidewalks,

Dressed in glazed slush and snow

In the air, icy branches are cracking.

People slipping, people sliding,

Cars are skidding through lights,

And on every street corner you hear:

What the h*ll, someone fell.

It’s winter time in the city.

Here’s the thing:

Until spring,

I’m heading for Half Moon Cay!

3B812390-A2FE-4EDC-A1F2-5A222F0079BC.thumb.jpeg.5c60179cf56253327505e03e0cd5c46a.jpeg

Happy Thursday, and I’m sure the only ice on our BHB’s is in the drinks!

A69CBAFC-D0E0-487B-9601-223236FD371A.thumb.jpeg.494d22af0269b527c1d5728ac6bc7b56.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Haha 9

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I was able to speak with DD for a bit.  She's very tired and may be taking another nap soon.  The pain pills made her itchy so she had to take Benadryl to combat that.  The Benadryl could be another reason she's sleepy.  The arm and hand are pretty swollen, so she's going to loosen the bandage on her hand, and is icing her elbow.  She said her face felt swollen too.  In addition she has a headache!  So looks like today is not going to be a good one, but I'm hoping tomorrow is better.  🤞

I hope DD feels better soon! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Riffing on @Overhead Fred's theme, last night I saw an terrific Nova episode about butterflies.  There is some absolutely amazing science being done on butterflies.  Recent discoveries are leading to new materials development which have the potential of vastly improving the efficiency of solar cells, and, even, create materials that can improve ship design.  If you get a chance to see this episode, I would encourage you to catch it.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7