The Daily for Thursday 01/13/2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Graham: are you near the town of Peterborough and if so, have you been inside the big Cathedral?

Also do you or can you take ferries from NE England over to Denmark or Norway?

toodles

I live close to Sunderland and the Cathedral city of Durham.

Durham cathedral is impressive.

York Minster is 80 miles from us and is a must see.

North Shields cruise terminal is 15 miles from our home and have daily DFDS ferries to Amsterdam.

We started cruising in 2003 but before then we had several cruise ferries to Norway, Sweden and Holland from North Shields.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220113_224821.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

20 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, our guess is the old batteries were Duracell.  In the past year, we have found many of our Durracell batteries have leaked and even ruined several things.  In a bluetooth keyboard the leak was so bad we could not even get the battery compartment open.  Needless to say, we have switched out all the remaining Duracell batteries.

Lenda

Lenda, yes Duracell, but since I haven't used that volt meter in probably 20 years, not sure I can blame the battery. I had to pry it out of there, and carefully cleaned all the corrosion, but it still didn't work. Could have been the fuse also. It was very old, so I'll toss it. I have had some anniversary clocks (I collect them) ruined by leaking batteries. I tend to get Energizer ones these days. 

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Lenda, yes Duracell, but since I haven't used that volt meter in probably 20 years, not sure I can blame the battery. I had to pry it out of there, and carefully cleaned all the corrosion, but it still didn't work. Could have been the fuse also. It was very old, so I'll toss it. I have had some anniversary clocks (I collect them) ruined by leaking batteries. I tend to get Energizer ones these days. 

Our problems with Duracell started a few years ago.  They used to be the best, but lately they have earned the nickname, Leakycell.  We have switch to Amazon basics batteries and they seem to work well.  Upside, we don't have to go to a store.

Lenda

• Like 9

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I really find it hard to complain.  The issue was discovered during a routine test almost 25 years ago(2/18/97) and there was some trouble associated with the surgery but most of the last 25 years have been pretty easy, generally the worst I had was a shot every 3 months which I could occasionally extent past 4 months for long cruises, and there has been no pain with any of this (except that operation 25 years ago) and the only real side effects the last 24 years being pooped out early in the evening.  How much can I complain?

Roy

I'm sitting here yawning like crazy and I didn't have radiation.  Maybe we're just getting older?

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

Covid test negative) - ✔️
Mani/Pedi - ✔️
Chiropractor appt - ✔️
Went to bank for cash - ✔️
Got a call from TA… cruise is cancelled. 😢😭

Oh well, c’est la vie. 🤷🏻‍♀️ The good news is these vacation days can go back in my “bank.” I was getting worried that the bank was looking a bit low. 

I'm so sorry!   But now you can add on that second week in Norway.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Generally I feel good but have continuing fatigue and lethargy in the evening.  I am usually pretty worthless after about 7 to 8 PM.

Roy

It can take many months, Or sometimes even longer.  I will pray that is not the case, unfortunately it is NOT the same as being tired or getting older.    And everyone reacts differently.  Just eat well and rest when you need to.

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

Mani/Pedi - ✔️
Chiropractor appt - ✔️

Oh well, c’est la vie. 🤷🏻‍♀️ The good news is these vacation days can go back in my “bank.” I was getting worried that the bank was looking a bit low. 

Oh I’m so sorry! 

2 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

After yesterday’s procedure to remove the squamous cell carcinoma on my nose, I diligently followed the plastic surgeon’s instructions regarding keeping ice on the areas below my eyes and so far I don’t have a black eye the doctor warned me about.  I’m experiencing some soreness, but things are definitely getting better.  Roy @rafinmd I think you can now take me off the rotation care list.

We’ve been to Kusadasi six or seven times.  When we booked our first Mediterranean cruise that included this Turkish stop, I asked myself why did they include Turkey as a port call.  Turkey is now one of my favorite countries to visit.  On our first visit, we did not go to Ephesus, but instead took a tour that visited Priene, Miletus, and Didyma.  Although we totally loved our tour, I would recommend a first time visitor go to Ephesus and try to include the Terrace Houses.  Here are a few photos from our first visit to Turkey.

Three photos from Priene.

45CEFDFF-4D5E-48C5-9104-305D4D83573F.thumb.jpeg.f7f39ff573adb50fbbb0c9b4236dada6.jpeg

144574DC-D56A-4222-8A96-2196B6FD7EC8.thumb.jpeg.5db6f1c1e6f9b237c0092abef0fae67e.jpeg

A94B748C-8D88-444D-8E8A-C73197C0E2D0.thumb.jpeg.bd580876674039bce579a5e47e44e015.jpeg

A couple of photos from Miletus.

0271CE80-F931-456F-B5DA-4708530662FC.thumb.jpeg.308cc644d02f544b7f25bdca19e6dafd.jpeg

0B7473E5-B77B-414D-9E2B-0FB714F7C2AD.thumb.jpeg.c755078641c9b80ae0c1ffc9859904a4.jpeg

Two photos of the Apollo Temple at Didyma.

32BC5671-7685-4D75-9BBD-1ECBAD9AF173.thumb.jpeg.394b259b9872552deef8c4d5200b100d.jpeg

0D8E4B6F-7B4F-4A4E-A169-E4B5B5E74A5F.thumb.jpeg.f9ea21f516ac4b0b6c2a2dee55d7cd43.jpeg

A photo of some boats in Kusadasi while walking back to the Rotterdam.

C17D2BD8-3EE5-43D0-8F9D-A8FC0D622BAF.thumb.jpeg.ddba746d93a7a1a985530001ca193840.jpeg

Great photos! 

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm glad to hear your surgery went well and that you aren't going to have a black eye (at least not right away).  

Like you, on our first time stopping at Kusadasi, we took the 3 city tour and were blown away by what we saw.  I still remember running our hands along the wall at the Temple of Apollo and not being able to feel the joint between one piece of marble and another.  For our 2nd and 3rd times stopping at that port, we took the Ephesus tour and I'd gladly do it another 2 or 3 times!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Wow, so interesting that you visited there before Ephesus, all incredible sites.

• Like 12

It's been a very busy day.  As I think I've indicated before I had a cough along with my fatigue and also had a run of medical appointments so I did a PCR test Monday and was reducing my activities somewhat until the results came back.  I had a podiatrist appointment this morning and the test processing was proceeding slower than normal and was wondering if I might need to cancel the doctor appointment. 

I had essentially set up 3 plans for the day.  If positive it would be quarantine.  If inconclusive I would cancel the podiatrist but still walk the mall and do some shopping.  It was negative meaning a full day of activity.  I still walked early while the mall was still sleepy and then continued on to the podiatrist and stopped at lunch on the way home. 

On leaving the Podiatrist I got a perfectly timed phone call.  5 minutes earlier I'd have been in the office and 5 minutes later on the road but my travel agent called at exactly the right time.  She has been fighting an esophageal blockage and is almost as weak as I am but is making a good recovery, and actually just completed a 3-day road to with DH to their winter home in the Tampa Bay Area.  We talked about my next cruise, February 17-25 on Enchantment OTS out of Baltimore and I authorized the final payment.  I may not be able to go but think there's a good chance and after my credit form a cancelled cruise my out of pocket expense is under $500.

Next was the grocery and the fire house where I worked on our year end tax reporting, then my church where I signed some checks and tax forms.  In return I got some gold (not really but some home covid tests are about as close to gold as I'll get.  I've been home since about 3 and will chill out the rest of the evening.

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Mani/Pedi - ✔️
Chiropractor appt - ✔️

Oh...I'm so sorry to hear this.  You were staying so strong, carrying on when most of your buddies bailed out.  

As you say, c'est la vie.  Gotta roll with the punches these days.  🤪

• Like 14

Thought I might mention something about KN95 masks.  With the new CDC guidance, I have been looking for N95 or KN 95 masks, but local stores are out and online they are about $1.50 to $2.00 a piece.  We were in the Costco business store yesterday (Fife, near Tacoma) and they had boxes of 50 KN95 for $26.49.  They seem to fit the face much better than the standard masks we have been using.  I notice that my glasses don't fog up when I breathe. The difference between the KN95 and N95 is that the KN is made in China and the loops fit behind your ears rather than over your head like the N95.

Ray

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

52 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It's been a very busy day.  As I think I've indicated before I had a cough along with my fatigue and also had a run of medical appointments so I did a PCR test Monday and was reducing my activities somewhat until the results came back.  I had a podiatrist appointment this morning and the test processing was proceeding slower than normal and was wondering if I might need to cancel the doctor appointment. 

I had essentially set up 3 plans for the day.  If positive it would be quarantine.  If inconclusive I would cancel the podiatrist but still walk the mall and do some shopping.  It was negative meaning a full day of activity.  I still walked early while the mall was still sleepy and then continued on to the podiatrist and stopped at lunch on the way home. 

On leaving the Podiatrist I got a perfectly timed phone call.  5 minutes earlier I'd have been in the office and 5 minutes later on the road but my travel agent called at exactly the right time.  She has been fighting an esophageal blockage and is almost as weak as I am but is making a good recovery, and actually just completed a 3-day road to with DH to their winter home in the Tampa Bay Area.  We talked about my next cruise, February 17-25 on Enchantment OTS out of Baltimore and I authorized the final payment.  I may not be able to go but think there's a good chance and after my credit form a cancelled cruise my out of pocket expense is under $500.

Next was the grocery and the fire house where I worked on our year end tax reporting, then my church where I signed some checks and tax forms.  In return I got some gold (not really but some home covid tests are about as close to gold as I'll get.  I've been home since about 3 and will chill out the rest of the evening.

Roy

That was a very busy day.  No wonder you're tired!  I hope things begin to improve for you soon.

@dobiemomI'm so sorry about the cancelled cruise.  Maybe you can work out something else before too long.  Good luck!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This is the rug we bought in Kusadasii in 2008.

20220113_161341.thumb.jpg.ba852c4990cd57b08fc3625f7b9084aa.jpg

Lenda

Beautiful!  I like the unique shape in the middle, sort of like a window.

To all of you I'm enjoying the photos.  Thanks for posting.

One time when we were in Kusadasi we walked up that hill to the statue at the top.  That was unique.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKiNYhybHEok0bZF_VXrQKL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416787729

the statue00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVITdOZDKAmvayB8IuC_Ixso?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416787740

nice view!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJGAZbiB15We9F61C859h5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416787740

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLgdTthopiCC80VurtPFY4T?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416787742

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Generally I feel good but have continuing fatigue and lethargy in the evening.  I am usually pretty worthless after about 7 to 8 PM.

Roy

Give it some time and patience and hopefully you will feel good soon. I read what you did today and no wonder you are tired at 7pm.

• Like 14

Hello , we are enjoying a lovely warm sunny summer day today (Friday).

Thanks for all the daily reports, recipes, humour and photos, appreciating the port photos as we have not been to Turkey.

@dobiemomsorry that your cruise has been cancelled.

@smitty34877thanks for letting us know about Tana, best wishes for her mprovement.

@Quartzsite Cruiserand @Cruising-alongthanks for the photos of your lovely rugs.

@rafinmdyou have had a busy day, hopefully tomorrow will not be so busy.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Just now, erewhon said:

Concerned that  @kazu  has not posted  on the "Daily" today.  

I’m not speaking for her, but I think she’s got a lot on her plate right now with Jose in hospital, and both doggos having medical issues as well.

We’re all sending her our good vibes and prayers for positive outcomes. 

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has great photos of where they have been, and I have no idea how to post any of my pics, but none of them been the ports of call.  BUT, I thought I would show you what I used to do, before I started cruising-  on ships that make the bed, and feed me all the time, and have entertainment....

Ready?

Heritage Sailing

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877Good news about Tana.  Hoping this is a turning point.

@rafinmdYou live a busy life.  Take it easy on yourself and rest when you need to.  

@ger_77showed your 'omelette' to my 7 year old DGS. He wants it for breakfast tomorrow!

Also concerned for Kazu.  She is dealing with so much, and maybe another storm this weekend. 

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures today.  Great memories.  First visit was on a HAL tour.  Disappointed we didn't get to the Terrace Houses.  Second visit was a land tour.  Spent 3 nights in Kusadasi. That time we got to Mary's House and the Terrace Houses. Also went to Pamukkale and Hierapolis. The first night we had dinner in a lovely restaurant. The second night the owner greeted us as we walked down the street, welcoming us back, so in we went for dinner again. The third night we snuck by on the other side of the street, and had Domino's Pizza for dinner! We also bought a rug, that was shipped to our home, and did arrive. It brings back memories too.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

😉I'm finally getting around to visiting The Daily...thank you Rich @rafinmd and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists.

I'm so happy for that both @Seasick Sailorand @summer slope are enjoying the beautiful Rotterdam still.😊

🦆I did collect new duckies when I was in Berlin last month....interesting story about the German Ampelmannchen ones.

We toured Ephesus with a small Cruise Critic group and would love to return...keep wondering if I'll turn up in some of the photos posted today!?🤪

🙏Prayers to all in need.🙏

Katie 

• Like 15

19 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Just checking in to say hi and I made it home in one piece. While the river is high, I found my home nice and dry. Time to relax and reflect on all the good times over the last three months. 

Glad you made it home safely and your home was in good shape.

Lenda

• Like 9

6 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Mani/Pedi - ✔️
Chiropractor appt - ✔️

I’m so sorry that your cruise was cancelled.  Did you get a reason?  Hope you can go on another real soon.

At least you didn’t leave for NOLA yet.

How about a Staycation?

Terri

• Like 10

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I’m not speaking for her, but I think she’s got a lot on her plate right now with Jose in hospital, and both doggos having medical issues as well.

We’re all sending her our good vibes and prayers for positive outcomes. 

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you for your reply @ger_77.  Yes, she has a lot  on her plate,  I  feel very concerned for her.

• Like 6