Losing my husband through Covid cancer

Duchess G

S I lost my husband in December rang through to celebrity to cancel the cruise that he booked for our wedding anniversary in September which she booked in April 21 I did think that I would get my deposit back with being elite with  celebrity cruises but the email I have just received says no  I just wondered if that was what they usually do feel very disappointed would like your comments on this please thank you 

3 minutes ago, Duchess G said:

S I lost my husband in December rang through to celebrity to cancel the cruise that he booked for our wedding anniversary in September which she booked in April 21 I did think that I would get my deposit back with being elite with  celebrity cruises but the email I have just received says no  I just wondered if that was what they usually do feel very disappointed would like your comments on this please thank you 

Most important sorry for your loss.  I would suggest you call the Captain's Club and discuss your problem with them.  They can refund your deposit. If Another solution is to book a cruise with you and another passenger.  Later you can change one name - effectively moving your booking to others.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Most important sorry for your loss.  I would suggest you call the Captain's Club and discuss your problem with them.  They can refund your deposit. If Another solution is to book a cruise with you and another passenger.  Later you can change one name - effectively moving your booking to others.

Thank you I will try tomorrow to contact captains club I hope I get somewhere and thank you for your comments 

4 minutes ago, Duchess G said:

Thank you I will try tomorrow to contact captains club I hope I get somewhere and thank you for your comments 

So sorry for your loss. Hopefully the captains club will refund you based on your situation. Please do post your response from them  🙏  best of luck. 

So sorry for you loss.   A quick question?   Did you book directly with Celebrity UK or via a travel agent.   If you booked with an agent you should have them work on your cancellation.  

I might also suggest you contact CelebrityEngagementCenter@Celebrity.com via email as they can often work out agreeable solutions.   If that fails I would contact Lisa (president CEO.  

I don't know about the particular rules of UK bookings but I noticed on the UK site they have the cruise with confidence information saying you can cancel for any reason prior to final payment for a full refund.   

Best of luck to you and a big virtual hug.

• Like 1

So so sorry for your loss and that you're having to navigate all this in its wake.  The UK group on here is pretty savvy, so hopefully when they get up in the morning they can give you some good advice.  Maybe a Host can change your title to add something like "UK Booking" which will flush them out?  

• Like 1

My condolences to you on losing your best friend.  Perhaps your deposit was nonrefundable?  I would explain the circumstances for cancelling the cruise and maybe Celebrity would have enough heart to return your deposit even if it was nonrefundable.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss.

I hope someone at Celebrity can show some compassion and humanity here.

.Cruise was to be an anniv Celebration. 

My husb and I cruise as a couple..and not sure either would continue without the other.

Sorry OP has to deal with this issue..refund should be given!

• Like 3

So sorry for your loss. I am also from the UK - if you travelled regularly maybe you have holiday insurance included with your bank account or home insurance that would cover this ? It's worth checking.  If it was booked a credit card  they may be able to help ? My deepest condolences . 

OP so sorry for your loss…

I hope I am not the only responder from the UK to offer advice as I have never needed to actually cancel a cruise, the information I am offering is based on my understanding of UK terms and conditions. 

If you cancel a cruise that was booked under cruise with confidence you should get a future cruise credit for your deposit amount. If you did not book under cruise with confidence and cancel a cruise then you do not get your deposit back.

If you are Elite or above you can move your deposit at no charge to another cruise. This is normally a cost of £75 each for the first two guests on a booking. Most of the time this means that UK guests who are Elite never loose a deposit as if something comes up to prevent them from cruising they can simply move to any other cruise at any time at no cost without loosing their deposit. OP, I think this may be where the confusion re your Elite level comes from. 

So technically I don’t think Celebrity have to give you your deposit back. However, you  are entitled to either transfer your deposit to a future cruise (perhaps in a year or so with a friend or family member?). Or you are entitled to a FCC for the deposit amount (this may have a more limited time). I agree with others that if you booked through a travel agent they should be enquiring into all this for you.

I do hope, however, that given your circumstances Celebrity will waiver the rules and give you your deposit back. Talking to Captains Club seems a really good idea. If you don’t get anywhere then the following options are still open to you.

Did you take out insurance as you booked your cruise or do (or did your husband) have any ongoing insurance that covers travel? It may be necessary to look at the small print of your insurance policies.

Check the Terms and Conditions on your (and your late husband’s) credit card. Many include some travel cover, it could be worth calling them and asking their advice. Look at the small print. 

If Celebrity refuse to refund and you can not claim back through through insurance or credit card consider transferring your cruise to one in the future rather than just cancelling. If you cancel now your deposit is gone, if you transfer it to a future cruise it is there and you have the option in a year or so to take a cruise if you want to solo or with a companion. As the time draws nearer you may feel ready to return to sea….if you don’t feel up to going then you can cancel at no additional cost than you would have cancelling now.

Can I suggest you ask a family member or friend to help you with all this? You are going through such a difficult time at present, you do not need the stress of small print reading and the reiterating of circumstances to others. If you phone Celebrity and confirm who you are but then say you wish to hand the phone to someone to speak on your behalf I am sure that would be acceptable.

Sincere condolences again for your loss and all the best for a positive outcome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Firstly, so sorry for your loss.

I called to cancel a holiday that was due to sail at the end of May (so outside the cruise with confidence cut off date...which at the time of cancellation was May 4th, I believe)

I was told I'd loose the deposit but I had (and took) a screenshot of a message that appeared on my "manage my booking" page that stated I could get FCC if I decided to cancel. This is apparently an error on many bookings but the call centre supervisor had the authority to honour an FCC for me. 

So, it may be worth trying again as I think that it's a really "cheap" decision by Celebrity. I'm sure I've read about people being refunded due to these circumstances but I can't remember if they were from the UK.

Good luck and I'm sure it's something that you could do without having to fight for at this moment in time 

Edited by rachiem

11 hours ago, TeaBag said:

My condolences to you on losing your best friend.  Perhaps your deposit was nonrefundable?  I would explain the circumstances for cancelling the cruise and maybe Celebrity would have enough heart to return your deposit even if it was nonrefundable.

In general all UK bookings are non refundable but in these very different times we can use the Cruise with Confidence clause so I can’t understand why the OP is being refused. Actually a dreadful situation. I really hope someone at Celebrity might show a little compassion. 

• Like 1

I have sent a link of this thread to my Celebrity  contact, what the OP has been told is correct. However I was told surely some discretion can be used and she should ask to speak to a manager/supervisor.

If the booking is through a TA it may be them that have refused the refund.

If you have social media ie FB you can ask the question directly with Jack or his colleague (I did not use this route to get my answer)

15 hours ago, Duchess G said:

I am very sorry for your loss, I am sure this is a very difficult period and one does not need this added stress.  I don't know the rules, but a good friend of mine had a cruise booked with her sister who passed away a few weeks before the cruise.  They had paid in full but after elevating to management at the cruise line and providing a death certificate, she was able to get a full refund.  Good luck to you!!

• Like 1

My sincerest condolences, and I hope that X will show compassion and provide you with the resolution you are looking for.

If I may be so bold as to offer a different perspective based on my parent's experience. Why not go on the cruise as a memorial to your late husband instead? My parents used to do a six week land vacation every winter throughout my dad's 13 year battle with throat cancer. The Jan following his passing, my mother decided that she would go alone. We offered to go with her, and her response was that she wanted to spend it alone "with him in spirit". Even 20 years later, she still says it gave her the closure she needed and that she probably wouldn't have gotten it then if she had been distracted by others being with her.

May everything work out the way you need them to.

• Like 3

I am so very sorry for the loss of your husband.  Several years ago, I was traveling to Europe with a friend, her daughter, along with her daughter's friend.  The daughter's cancer returned before the cruise, but just after final payment.  All four of us were refunded and money was put back on our credit cards.  This wasn't automatic, but working with Celebrity made that happen.  I hope you receive those funds, so do not stop trying.  Of course, I do not live in the UK, but cancer doesn't care about boundaries.  The note from her surgeon was all that as needed, along with proof of mother daughter relationship.

Edited by Lastdance

5 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

My sincerest condolences, and I hope that X will show compassion and provide you with the resolution you are looking for.

If I may be so bold as to offer a different perspective based on my parent's experience. Why not go on the cruise as a memorial to your late husband instead? My parents used to do a six week land vacation every winter throughout my dad's 13 year battle with throat cancer. The Jan following his passing, my mother decided that she would go alone. We offered to go with her, and her response was that she wanted to spend it alone "with him in spirit". Even 20 years later, she still says it gave her the closure she needed and that she probably wouldn't have gotten it then if she had been distracted by others being with her.

May everything work out the way you need them to.

3 hours ago, hcat said:

LLP...

PLEASE DO THE RIGHT & DECENT  THING!

who can we send this too.?

Just now, Duchess G said:

I would like to thank everybody that’s replied for the kind thoughts on the loss of my Walter I could not go on our anniversary cruise on my own because we have always gone away together all of the 53 years but for this last year with Covid I hope I will get some results I will try my best  and I must say I am very humble with all your kind thoughts Gillian 

• Like 1