Transportation from Rome airport to cruiseport

rfs7306

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Might be wrong, but I've understood that you need 1) transportation from the station to the entry to the port, and from there -- another 2) transportation to the check in area?

Anybody knows?

Yes, you can take a taxi or a take a 20-minute leisurely walk (with rolling luggage) to the port entry.  From there, there are free shuttles that will take you directly to your ship.  Walking is discouraged since it's an industrial port.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:42 PM, Norwich Cruiser said:

Agree taking the train with luggage really is not an option.

We've done it a couple of times. But we only take one piece of baggage each, with wheels its not too bad, and a lot cheaper if you have plenty of time. We're travelling again in June. Haven't decided yet which way we'll go. We're now in our mid 60s so using a limo service will be a lot easier 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Might be wrong, but I've understood that you need 1) transportation from the station to the entry to the port, and from there -- another 2) transportation to the check in area?

Anybody knows?

We arrived the day before and walked from the train station to our hotel near the port gates . I think  there is a bus 

3 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Yes, you can take a taxi or a take a 20-minute leisurely walk (with rolling luggage) to the port entry.  From there, there are free shuttles that will take you directly to your ship.  Walking is discouraged since it's an industrial port.

Thank you.

So, unless your hotel is right in front of Termini train station, you need to

1) Get to Termini

2) Board a train, stairs and keeping an eye on your luggage the whole trip, included.

3) Walk ~20 minutes to the port entry [or take a taxi].

4) Wait for the free shuttle.

Or -- you can share a shuttle [or a private one], which will take you "door-to-door" [from your hotel right to the check in area].

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 6:18 PM, Norwich Cruiser said:

I’d definitely book my own and not shared transportation.

You could use Bobs limos or whoever but I definitely wouldn’t use Royal transportation.

To expensive and hanging around for stragglers.

We flew into Rome from UK. Train from Airport to Termini, express train to Civitevechia, cab to hotel. Next time a cab all the way from Airport to hotel. Too much faff.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you.

So, unless your hotel is right in front of Termini train station, you need to

1) Get to Termini

2) Board a train, stairs and keeping an eye on your luggage the whole trip, included.

3) Walk ~20 minutes to the port entry [or take a taxi].

4) Wait for the free shuttle.

Or -- you can share a shuttle [or a private one], which will take you "door-to-door" [from your hotel right to the check in area].

Add the following steps:

1b...the walk inside the main terminal in Rome (Roma Termini) just to get to the platform for the trains going to Civitavecchia is about 15 minutes.  We've known first time visitors to Rome getting lost inside the main train station.

2b...arriving in Civitavecchia, you could end in the middle train tracks or platform...this would mean having to carry your luggage down and up some stairs.

Agree, we recommend taking a private shuttle or the RCCL shuttle going from FCO to Civitavecchia.

* For the person who originally asked about the train...he/she should now know that using the train from FCO to Civitavecchia, specially with luggages, is not the most ideal.  They may want to experience the train another time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Anybody knows?

I forgot abut that! It’s been a few years but I think you are right. Once you get to the port area there is a shuttle bus to the ship; I think it was free or very inexpensive. It may be the only way to get to the pier regardless of how you arrive there.

10 minutes ago, fabric_fabric said:

It may be the only way to get to the pier regardless of how you arrive there.

If you hire a shared/private transfer, they get you right to the pier.

Last time, we stayed in Rome pre- and post-cruise, were picked up at the hotel, right until the check in area, and when we ended the cruise, were picked again at the pier.

9 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Anybody knows?

I am surprised that this post has not been moved to the Italy Ports of Call forum already. I know there are people in that forum that will most likely know the answer to this question as the majority of topics there are related to Rome and that immediate area.

16 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

I am surprised that this post has not been moved to the Italy Ports of Call forum already. I know there are people in that forum that will most likely know the answer to this question as the majority of topics there are related to Rome and that immediate area.

Might be because those Ports of Call forums don't get much "traffic".

Anyhow, here's the link to the Italy Ports of Call --

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

I used Stefano Constantini owner of Stefano Rome Tours and Romecabs. great guy and tour guide. Met me at airport, took me to hotel and to ship the next morning.  A few years later I went with my brother and his wife. he wanted to take train from ship back to Rome. Be careful, we got on local train, not easy with luggage and it got very crowded. I would use Stefano. Tell him mike the cop from Ohio referred you. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2022 at 8:02 PM, BeginnercruiserHD said:

How is taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia?  We're staying in Rome a few days beforehand, and we'd like to experience a European train if even for a short trip.

That is a complete nightmare. We did that once and you arrive in Civitavecchia station then have to lug your cases down the street to the port entrance in the heat. Then the fun starts. The buses that take you to the ship from the entrance are jam packed with people and cases and it is the transfer from hell. Never again, it was the worst ever arrival at a ship. I wasn't sure at one stage if my OH and all our cases got on the bus. Avoid this like the plague.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hab60 said:

That is a complete nightmare. We did that once and you arrive in Civitavecchia station then have to lug your cases down the street to the port entrance in the heat. Then the fun starts. The buses that take you to the ship from the entrance are jam packed with people and cases and it is the transfer from hell. Never again, it was the worst ever arrival at a ship. I wasn't sure at one stage if my OH and all our cases got on the bus. Avoid this like the plague.

It could be worth it if you are on a budget, youngish and fairly mobile and don't have too much baggage. We did it twice in our 50s. I don't remember it being that bad. Had cases with wheels so we walked from the station to our pre cruise hotel near the port. Need to examine your own circumstances.  Now we're a little older we probably wouldn't do it again and certainly not if you have a lot of baggage or babies or young children 

Next time we travel from Civitavecchia in June we're planning on getting a shared transfer from the airport. 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

I did the train to the port from Rome and from Rome to the port.  Im in my 50s as is my husband.  Both were TAs.  One of the trips I had to handle both large suitcases as my husband broke both of his hands riding bikes in Alicante, Spain.  I dragged suitcases up the stairs, on the train, off, and then to airport after 3 days in Rome.  It can be done.  When we took train from rome to the port area, it was so easy.  Yes you do have to pull your suitcases.  But if you have no mobility issues and pack reasonably, you should be fine.  It was actually a neat experience taking their train system.

Edited by jean87510

47 minutes ago, BeginnercruiserHD said:

Yeah we've decided to take the train - we'll likely take a cab from the train station to port. 

Please prepare yourself for what will seem like an absurdly high fare for such a short trip.  When compared with the hassle of two buses with luggage (see descriptions above) it may not look so bad but it likely will be shocking initially.

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Please prepare yourself for what will seem like an absurdly high fare for such a short trip.  When compared with the hassle of two buses with luggage (see descriptions above) it may not look so bad but it likely will be shocking initially.

We've already pre-arranged a cab for a fair price.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 6:36 AM, Kathscof said:

My apologies, you’re right, as a selfish human being, we are all from time to time prone to “I’m right! How dare you question my ideas!?!?!?!” 

It can be done (people do it all the time, and as stressed earlier, it very well might not be as glamorous as you think) and can save you money, but for comfort’s sake....take a car....

The stairs at Civitavecchia are steep and not easily navigated with luggage.  Even when younger than we are now, it was a challenge to haul bags down and the up the stairs to get to the train platform.  Termini does no have stairs and is relatively easy.

We will be doing Rome hotel to cruise port in late June and definitely taking a car transfer.  

FYIO, the Termini to Civitavecchia train is a local.  For the real Italian train experience take a Frecciarossa between major cities and travel at 300kph in luxury.