Transportation from Rome airport to cruiseport

rfs7306

Does RCC offer transportation from Rome airport to cruise port, has anyone done it and what info can you give me. Price, duration, meeting point and how to arrange this. My air is not through RCC. 

Edited by rfs7306

Just now, rfs7306 said:

Does RCC offer transportation from Rome airport to cruise airport, has anyone done it and what info can you give me. Price, duration, meeting point and how to arrange this. air is not through RCC. 

Check out Bob's limo Rome. We have used them several times and were very pleased. Cost for Two around $70.00. They meet you in the airport as soon as you leave baggage pick up and drop you off at the ships badge drop off. . Skip Royal transport, too much waiting and overly expensive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Check out Bob's limo Rome.

9 minutes ago, rhblake said:

Another recommendation for Bob' Limo. 

I have used them before too and can recommend. BUT their website has been down for "maintenance" for a while now. I hope that is genuinely the case and it will soon be back up again, rather than it being indicative of the company ceasing trading.

20 hours ago, rfs7306 said:

Does RCC offer transportation from Rome airport to cruise port, has anyone done it and what info can you give me. Price, duration, meeting point and how to arrange this. My air is not through RCC. 

Yes, RCCL offers transportation from Rome (FCO) to the cruise terminal (Civitavecchia).

Yes, we have used it in the past.  There was an RCCL representative with a sign, that greeted us at the airport by the baggage claim area.  They took our luggages and told us that there would be at least a couple of shuttles leaving for Civitavecchia and the first shuttle would be at 11am.  We arrived at FCO at 6am.  The shuttle did not actually leave until almost noon.

It is approximately an hour or more, depending on traffic, from FCO to Civitavecchia.

You can arrange this transportation through RCCL.

Current cost: $71.95/person each way...$143.90 roundtrip.

Note: Cruising from Civitavecchia/Rome, we typically arrive a few days earlier to enjoy the wonderful sights and food...and usually take the train to the cruise terminal.  With the pandemic and current protocols...it is not that easy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rfs7306 said:

Like others I would book your own transfers because it is much faster and more convenient.

We used the RCI transfer once and we were a little concerned because RC and Princess cruise passengers luggage was all stacked next to each other in the airport and we were worried in case our cases went to the wrong ship.

Graham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeginnercruiserHD said:

How is taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia?  We're staying in Rome a few days beforehand, and we'd like to experience a European train if even for a short trip.

Its really easy!  I haven't taken a cruise from Civitavecchia, but I did take a ferry from the port, and you don't have to change trains, the only challenge is the LONG walk to the port, or just get a taxi.  Looks like (on trenitalia.it) its between an hour and an hour and a half from Roma Termini, depending on which one you get, Regionale, or Regionale Veloce (fast).  For regionale trains, they are usually very frequent and I see that at the moment, they leave every 30 min or so.  Its NOT going to be one of the fancy trains you might have in your mind from the movies, quite possibly not any air conditioning either (it could be a REALLY old train, or it could be a neat new fancy train).  But Italian trains are very handy and convenient!  AND looks like 4.60 euro a person!  That's a nice savings 🙂

And on the topic of private car services, RomeCabs (the company) has a very good reputation, and I have used one of their "friend" services when we tried to book with them and they weren't available, and it was great service as well.  

• Like 2

We have used RomeCabs twice and were very happy with their communication and service. On our last cruise we had a day trip to Rome and took RomeCabs from the port to Rome and took the train back. The train was interesting and worked well. Not like the high speed train, definitely a local flair, but it got us there and was very inexpensive. We took a taxi from the train station to the port. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BeginnercruiserHD said:

How is taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia?  We're staying in Rome a few days beforehand, and we'd like to experience a European train if even for a short trip.

If you are taking luggage, I would disagree with Kathscof that it is easy as you may need to climb and/or descend a flight of stairs, with luggage to get to your train. Also, on the train, the standard economy seat may not have enough room for luggage depending on what you are bringing. If you were arriving at Civitavecchia and was going to Rome for the day, taking the train is a piece of cake. With a cruise's worth of luggage? Not so much. I would agree with the others that recommend taking a taxi service for the transfer. Both Rome Cabs and Rome in Limo come highly recommended for offering such services.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Scottee25 said:

If you are taking luggage, I would disagree with Kathscof that it is easy as you may need to climb and/or descend a flight of stairs, with luggage to get to your train. Also, on the train, the standard economy seat may not have enough room for luggage depending on what you are bringing. If you were arriving at Civitavecchia and was going to Rome for the day, taking the train is a piece of cake. With a cruise's worth of luggage? Not so much. I would agree with the others that recommend taking a taxi service for the transfer. Both Rome Cabs and Rome in Limo come highly recommended for offering such services.

Agree taking the train with luggage really is not an option.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Scottee25 said:

Of course there are the train stairs.....

but im like 99% sure that Termini doesn’t have any regionale trains from the underground metro?  All of the trains from Termini are pull in, so no stairs there. 

i didn’t take into account the Civitavecchia station stairs....but honestly I have never considered train station stairs as a pro or a con of going somewhere.  

All the trains have space for luggage, if it’s the end of the car or between the seats.  If I can make it with my luggage on a 16 day trip around Italy, people going on a cruise can make it on one regionale train. 

Maybe I should have said straightforward and simple, instead of easy? It’s VERY straightforward and simple.  

I think you have to schedule your own transportation if you arrive a day early.

I have in the past tried staying at an airport the night before and tried to join a shuttle to ship.

RCI said NO if I was not flying in the same day.  oh well go figure.

But for the return, I always take the ship's shuttle and never book a flight before 1pm so I have plenty of time.    I am taking a cruise out of Rome port Civitavecchia in June 2023, so I too will be doing some research.  Of course if I purchase a hotel package, then I will get a shuttle to the ship.  I like doing gthis if in a country for the first time

46 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

Of course there are the train stairs.....

but im like 99% sure that Termini doesn’t have any regionale trains from the underground metro?  All of the trains from Termini are pull in, so no stairs there. 

i didn’t take into account the Civitavecchia station stairs....but honestly I have never considered train station stairs as a pro or a con of going somewhere.  

All the trains have space for luggage, if it’s the end of the car or between the seats.  If I can make it with my luggage on a 16 day trip around Italy, people going on a cruise can make it on one regionale train. 

Maybe I should have said straightforward and simple, instead of easy? It’s VERY straightforward and simple.  

You seem like you are taking what I said personally and it wasn't meant to be. Just merely pointing out that attempting to make the trip from Rome to the port via train while hauling luggage is not an easy endeavor. That there are factors one should consider while attempting such an endeavor. While it may be very straightforward and simple for you to navigate such a journey with 16 days worth of luggage, it's important to understand that what is simple for some may not be simple for others, especially for someone who has never made that journey to begin with. I have made the trip via train roundtrip from Civitavecchia to Rome and you're right, it is very straightforward and simple. But I made that trip with nothing more than a backpack. I wouldn't dare think about making that trip with luggage, let alone leave my luggage unattended at the end of the car but that is just me being paranoid regarding thieves in many European countries that target tourists. While it is, or course, the OP's choice as to what they do, I personally would not recommend a trip on a train with luggage if it's your first time making that trek.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

You seem like you are taking what I said personally and it wasn't meant to be. Just merely pointing out that attempting to make the trip from Rome to the port via train while hauling luggage is not an easy endeavor. That there are factors one should consider while attempting such an endeavor. While it may be very straightforward and simple for you to navigate such a journey with 16 days worth of luggage, it's important to understand that what is simple for some may not be simple for others, especially for someone who has never made that journey to begin with. I have made the trip via train roundtrip from Civitavecchia to Rome and you're right, it is very straightforward and simple. But I made that trip with nothing more than a backpack. I wouldn't dare think about making that trip with luggage, let alone leave my luggage unattended at the end of the car but that is just me being paranoid regarding thieves in many European countries that target tourists. While it is, or course, the OP's choice as to what they do, I personally would not recommend a trip on a train with luggage if it's your first time making that trek.

My apologies, you’re right, as a selfish human being, we are all from time to time prone to “I’m right! How dare you question my ideas!?!?!?!” 

It can be done (people do it all the time, and as stressed earlier, it very well might not be as glamorous as you think) and can save you money, but for comfort’s sake....take a car....

Edited by Kathscof
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have sailed from Rome several times and have done both, arranged private transport and used the cruise line shuttle. 

In 2018 we did a TA leaving from Rome and booked a package with RCL for cruise, flights and transfer as is sometimes offered in the UK. On this occasion we were extremely glad we did, our 7am flight from Heathrow was delayed as the plane had a fuel leak and we had to wait 4 hours for a new plane. We really didn't know if we would make the ship but on landing in Rome the RCL rep was waiting for us as we entered baggage claim and already had people looking for our luggage. She rushed us and another couple out onto a waiting minibus and we ended up boarding the ship just as muster drill was taking place. A very close call!

We used Bob's Limo for transport from airport to Rome Hotel, then Rome hotel to port and upon return did the same. They were wonderful and we used them whenever possible. If you're unable to reach them, we've seen many reviews for RomeInLimo. I would use a private service rather than trains because I traveled with a suitcase, a carry on and lugging them (during the summer) and keeping an eye on my luggage stressed me out, just thinking about. I like to start the cruise without stress. They took us straight to the port, handed our luggage to Royal and were very reasonable on cost.

The train from Rome to Civitevecchia is inexpensive and not difficult, but luggage is a pain. In addition to leaving your luggage unattended at the end of your car, you must be able to carry your luggage down a flight is stairs, cross under the tracks, and then carry them back up the stairs to reach the station. I have taken the train when there were no conductors and locals told me to watch the luggage constantly. You will still need transportation from the station to the ship.

10 hours ago, fabric_fabric said:

The train from Rome to Civitevecchia is inexpensive and not difficult, but luggage is a pain. In addition to leaving your luggage unattended at the end of your car, you must be able to carry your luggage down a flight is stairs, cross under the tracks, and then carry them back up the stairs to reach the station. I have taken the train when there were no conductors and locals told me to watch the luggage constantly. You will still need transportation from the station to the ship.

Might be wrong, but I've understood that you need 1) transportation from the station to the entry to the port, and from there -- another 2) transportation to the check in area?

Anybody knows?