Galveston Salt water Moms/Friendswood Moms

Djford75

15 hours ago, Texas_Traveler. said:

It's pathetic there's no mass transit at all  between Houston and Galveston. No bus, no train, no nothing. There are too many people traveling between the two cities for there to be no mass transit.

I don't have Facebook, so it appears Saltwater Moms isn't an option. And, I really don't feel like I should have to pay for shuttle services when many other cities offer cheap mass transit from their airport to their tourist destinations. 

I'll probably drive from Fort Worth to Galveston like I did last cruise, even though I don't like driving and now have flight benefits I can use to fly from DFW to Hobby. 

A city of 50,000 does not not need mass transit . All passengers seem to be getting between Houston/Galveston 

• Like 1

Galveston is a major enough tourist destination that it ought to have transit to/from the nearby big city where the airports are located. I'm sure some mainland residents would use it to commute into Galveston as well (or vice versa). 

In Florida, there's a bus that runs between MIA airport and Miami Beach (pop. 39k). There's also a bus between Miami Beach and Miami. 

In California, there's a bus that runs between LAX airport and Santa Monica (pop. 93k). There's also a train between Santa Monica and Los Angeles. Santa Monica may not be an island, but it's a similar enough tourist destination. 

Galveston is farther away from the main city than the above examples, and has a cruise industry that Miami Beach island and Santa Monica don't have. So, I think mass transit between Houston and Galveston would be even more appreciated than my previous examples. 

Edited by Texas_Traveler.
clarification
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Texas_Traveler. said:

Galveston is a major enough tourist destination that it ought to have transit to/from the nearby big city where the airports are located. I'm sure some mainland residents would use it to commute into Galveston as well (or vice versa). 

In Florida, there's a bus that runs between MIA airport and Miami Beach (pop. 39k). There's also a bus between Miami Beach and Miami. 

In California, there's a bus that runs between LAX airport and Santa Monica (pop. 93k). There's also a train between Santa Monica and Los Angeles. Santa Monica may not be an island, but it's a similar enough tourist destination. 

Galveston is farther away from the main city than the above examples, and has a cruise industry that Miami Beach island and Santa Monica don't have. So, I think mass transit between Houston and Galveston would be even more appreciated than my previous examples. 

Do you expect this mass transportation to be paid for by bus fairy (the tooth fairy's first cousin)? How much to plan on contributing with your increased taxes? You'd think money grows on trees!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Do you expect this mass transportation to be paid for by bus fairy (the tooth fairy's first cousin)? How much to plan on contributing with your increased taxes? You'd think money grows on trees!

Other cities in Texas (and many across the US) fund transit via sales tax. 

If other cities and travel destinations can fund transit, Galveston can as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texas_Traveler. said:

Island Express operates a bus service between Houston and Galveston.

https://www.galvestontx.gov/DocumentCenter/View/6197/20170810-Island-Express-Rack_card_Galveston?bidId=#:~:text=Galveston Island Transit operates a,link between Galveston and Houston.

Here are more options  using public trans.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Houston/Galveston

On 12/14/2022 at 7:41 PM, Sand and Seas said:

Yes, there is an email to contact them if you (like me) do not use FB.

Found this on Cruise Critic a few months ago and was successful in setting up our transportation with the Galveston Saltwater Mom's.    

Send a message with 'Reservation' in the header to:   bwarren814@att.net

On 2/4/2023 at 3:26 PM, RobInMN said:

I tried sending an email to that email address, but have not received any response. We also don't do Facebook.

😞

For others like me that don't do FB, I found this number: 281-804-5901, and sent a text. Lori didn't see it for a couple days, but responded back and I was able to get set up with one of the drivers who contacted me herself shortly after. This is for a cruise in September, so I don't have a review to report, but hear nothing but good things.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 5:53 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Unfortunately, Island Express was designed to fail and did. 

https://www.galvnews.com/news/article_036e6e36-2ad3-5eb6-851b-583f0e221c16.html

It required transferring to a different bus half way, took two hours to travel between the downtowns, didn't run on weekends, and only ran 3x a weekday in either direction.

It wasn't an option for most people unless the bus schedule happed to line up with their personal schedule. 

If you want mass transit that's convenient for different people with different schedules, it has to run fairly often (think hourly or half hourly) throughout the day.

• Thanks 1

We just reserved a Standard SUV with Galveston Saltwater Moms for April 2024.

Pick up at IAH to Hilton Galveston with a stop at Bucees $120 and pick up at port after cruise to IAH $125. Probably $300 total with tip. No money up front cash or Venmo at time of pick up. 

I don't use FB much but did reserve through messenger and then through email. I did get all contact info & phone numbers to confirm again probably the week before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

We just reserved a Standard SUV with Galveston Saltwater Moms for April 2024.

Pick up at IAH to Hilton Galveston with a stop at Bucees $120 and pick up at port after cruise to IAH $125. Probably $300 total with tip. No money up front cash or Venmo at time of pick up. 

I don't use FB much but did reserve through messenger and then through email. I did get all contact info & phone numbers to confirm again probably the week before.

Are they insured?

On 1/18/2023 at 9:01 PM, Sailing the world Kat said:

Yes, Galveston Saltwater Moms will pick you up from there.  Just be sure to contact them ahead of time to get in a reservation.  The other thing to mention is it is best to pay cash.  They aren't set up for credit card payments (or at least they weren't) unless you want to send them payment thru a pay app.  You can ask about payment when you make your reservation.  Or you can Lyft to the port.  There has been an issue sometimes with using Uber.  

Is it expected to tip them in addition to the transportation cost?

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, beshears said:

For anyone that has used Galveston Saltwater Mom's within the past couple months, can you give me an idea of the cost? There are 8 of us, and I don't know how large/small their vehicles are. Just curious.

It also depends on which airport (IAH or HOU) that you are using.  They have a chart on their FB page.

9 hours ago, beshears said:

For anyone that has used Galveston Saltwater Mom's within the past couple months, can you give me an idea of the cost? There are 8 of us, and I don't know how large/small their vehicles are. Just curious.

9 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

It also depends on which airport (IAH or HOU) that you are using.  They have a chart on their FB page.

I just checked their chart and it lists small SUV for 1-4, and large SUV for 4-5 passengers. 

Prices depend on which airport as IAH is a longer trip.   The larger SUV are $80 from HOU and $130 from IAH.  The smaller SUV listed as $65 HOU and $110 IAH.

On 12/23/2023 at 2:37 AM, beshears said:

Perhaps best to contact them directly? Not sure if they take that large a group.

Be sure to check their insurance for that many.

Edited by c-leg5

Thank you for your replies. We would be using the Hobby Airport. You mentioned to check their insurance which is a good idea, but we have insurance coverage on us as well. I will see if I can find them again. I tried looking under the name before, and couldn't seem to find what I needed. Maybe when I look again, I will find the information, or phone number to call.

Just curious for those that may have use an Uber or Lift, would they be about the same price as the Galveston Saltwater Moms? 

I had read to go to Facebook to find information on Galveston Salt Water Moms-Friends, and I never found an email address or phone number. If you can give this to me, or tell me the location other than Facebook, maybe I can find it.