New Grounds Coffee Package

philv

I’m on the CB Feb 6 and am wondering about purchasing New Grounds Coffee Package. I read all the stuff in the on board reservations tab and have some questions. In the general description section it says saves 20%. Does this mean you are still charged for your specialty coffee on your ship account but at a 20% reduced price? In the terms and conditions section it says you must pre-order 3 days in advance of cruise. Can you order when on board? No mention of this.

My initIal take on package is that’s it’s like the old coffee card but just using medallion. Is that the case?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Edited by philv
Correction

It like the old coffee card except that the punches are digital. They expire at the end of the cruise. They can be used anywhere you would have to pay for a specialty coffee. It's worth it when DH and I travel together on cruises that are 12+ days. I put it on my account so I can get the free hot tea. He drinks a cappuccino after dinner. Neither one of us cares about the brewed coffee that you can get with the package at the International Cafe. 

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

If you have Princess Plus (fare that includes drink package, wifi and gratuities) the New Grounds Coffee is included in the package.

I do not have plus package.

7 minutes ago, philv said:

I do not have plus package.

If you LOVE coffee and possibly want to have WiFi, then you might consider the Princess Plus. When you add up beverage purchases (coffee and about everything else), Crew Incentives, and WiFi; it is a great deal. ($40.00 per day)

3 minutes ago, philv said:

Another question about the coffee package. How do you know when you have used up your 15 specialty coffees? Does the server tell you?

Yes, that’s been my experience & you can also ask about how many remain.

• Like 1

Beverage package (that includes coffees) must be purchased by both people in the cabin.  

You can share your specialty coffee "punches".  I traded my elite bar for the "digital card".  More drinks than I could afford (calories) on a 9 day back to back.  Tried hard to find crew members at the International Cafe...to pay it forward.  

The barista at the IC would always tell me how many coffees I had left. 

The 20% is approximate and refers to the cost of the package vs. the cost of purchasing all 15 specialty coffees individually. You are not charged per order. The 20% savings could be higher or lower depending on how many cups of brewed coffee, hot chocolate and specialty teas you order. They are unlimited in the package.

You say you do not have the plus fare. With the plus fare two alcoholic drinks per day/pp is around break even. Unless you have a large amount of OBC to cover on board expenses the plus fare can make $$ sense. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:36 AM, skynight said:

The 20% is approximate and refers to the cost of the package vs. the cost of purchasing all 15 specialty coffees individually. You are not charged per order. The 20% savings could be higher or lower depending on how many cups of brewed coffee, hot chocolate and specialty teas you order. They are unlimited in the package.

You say you do not have the plus fare. With the plus fare two alcoholic drinks per day/pp is around break even. Unless you have a large amount of OBC to cover on board expenses the plus fare can make $$ sense. 

You've made a good point as all coffees aren't the same price.  Add in some free regular coffees and it's a no brainer for me.  (I typically  grab at least one a day due to it's location.)

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 8:04 PM, philv said:

Another question about the coffee package. How do you know when you have used up your 15 specialty coffees? Does the server tell you?

You can ask the server or in Medallion App once onboard select “Manage Drink Packages” to view status. 

• Thanks 4

On 1/28/2022 at 6:47 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Beverage package (that includes coffees) must be purchased by both people in the cabin.  

You can share your specialty coffee "punches".  I traded my elite bar for the "digital card".  More drinks than I could afford (calories) on a 9 day back to back.  Tried hard to find crew members at the International Cafe...to pay it forward.  

The barista at the IC would always tell me how many coffees I had left. 

I just purchased the coffee package for myself for an upcoming cruise and did not have to purchase one for my husband.

1 hour ago, biggerbearmom said:

I just purchased the coffee package for myself for an upcoming cruise and did not have to purchase one for my husband.

Coffee Package (15 specialty coffees) can be purchased individually.  Elite mini bar may be exchanged for two coffee packages.  These can be separated into two accounts, but you can not replace a half a bar for one coffee “card”. 

All inclusive (alcohol) beverage package (which includes coffee) has to be purchased by everyone in the cabin.  

Sorry if I did was not clear in my definition. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, biggerbearmom said:

The good thing about the coffee package is that you can share the drinks that require a "punch." You're not supposed to share the drinks that you don't get charged a punch for. So a couple who each drink one specialty coffee a day would do fine buying just one coffee package for a week-long cruise and sharing the punches. But whoever has the medallion that the package is on would be the only one getting the complimentary brewed coffee and hot teas at the International Cafe. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 9:39 AM, philv said:

In the terms and conditions section it says you must pre-order 3 days in advance of cruise. Can you order when on board? No mention of this.

The 3 days before the cruise is also when other purchases for on board must stop as after that they cannot get the purchase info to the ship.

Yes, you can purchase the coffee package on board at same price as pre-cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

All inclusive (alcohol) beverage package (which includes coffee) has to be purchased by everyone in the cabin.  

Sorry if I did was not clear in my definition. 

The beverage package if purchased separately does not have to be purchased for everyone in the cabin.

However, if you get the beverage package as part of the plus fare then the plus fare must be purchased for everyone in the cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is the Beverage Package the same as what is offered in Princess Plus for the sometimes $40 (drinks/gratuities/wifi)?  I didn't know that.  Learn something new every day.  I was always trying to "change" to Princess Plus and would be told I couldn't unless both passengers did.  Good to that I can add Beverage Package without my cabin mate doing the same.

41 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Is the Beverage Package the same as what is offered in Princess Plus for the sometimes $40 (drinks/gratuities/wifi)?  I didn't know that.  Learn something new every day.  I was always trying to "change" to Princess Plus and would be told I couldn't unless both passengers did.  Good to that I can add Beverage Package without my cabin mate doing the same.

The problem is the cost of the beverage package is a lot more expensive most of the time: $59.99 per day plus 18% gratuity. If you can get Princess Plus for the usual $40 per person per day, it will work out cheaper for a couple in the long run over one person getting the Premium Beverage Package. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your input, but I may have accidentally hijacked this thread.  I realize there is a difference between the Coffee Package and the Beverage Package.  I was just trying to clarify what you get with the Coffee Package, although everyone has been most helpful in educating me on the add on Beverage Package.  

Not to worry, I have the Beverage Package on my next few cruises.  Happy with that (although cabin mate isn't).  My first experiences back after the pandemic was with no Princess Plus.  I "had to" purchase wifi and pay gratuities.  I could not convince my cabin mate to go for the gusto.  The irony to this is that I am not a drinker.  So the coffee package/card was sufficient for the few short cruises I did.

Everyone is so helpful on these boards.

• 9 months later...
5 minutes ago, newfietravel said:

Can I buy the New Grounds coffee package using my on-board-credit?

Yes .... I could in April .... traded minibar for it June & August. More recent cruisers have stated that there are changes since August 2022 that the minibar is traded for only 1 coffee pkg. 

Adding: suggest you ask on a LIVE FROM thread so someone on it this month can check for you 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, titanguru said:

I got the Grounds Coffee package but looking at the IC menu they have regular and large size available.  The terms just say "specified number of specialty coffees".  So does that mean I can order any size?  Thanks.

Yes you can.