This is a good sign regarding cruising restarting

bazzaw

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced fully vaccinated travellers will be allowed back into the country from February 21

And this

TEHAN CONFIRMS AUSTRALIAN CRUISE INDUSTRY TO RESTART "IN COMING WEEKS AND MONTHS"
The Minister for Tourism offered no specific restart date, but mentioned discussions had been opened with state and territory leaders.

Minister for Tourism Dan Tehan has said that following the reopening of Australia to international tourists in a fortnight, cruising would also resume at some point this year.

Tehan said his desire is for Australian cruises to operate again "as soon as we possibly can", but alluded to the fact states and territories would need to comply with any such restart.

"My hope would be, over the coming weeks and months, we'll be able to resume cruising," Tehan told The Kenny Report on Sky News.

More details in tomorrow's issue of Cruise Weekly.

Cheers Carole

17 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

And this

TEHAN CONFIRMS AUSTRALIAN CRUISE INDUSTRY TO RESTART "IN COMING WEEKS AND MONTHS"
The Minister for Tourism offered no specific restart date, but mentioned discussions had been opened with state and territory leaders.

Minister for Tourism Dan Tehan has said that following the reopening of Australia to international tourists in a fortnight, cruising would also resume at some point this year.

Tehan said his desire is for Australian cruises to operate again "as soon as we possibly can", but alluded to the fact states and territories would need to comply with any such restart.

"My hope would be, over the coming weeks and months, we'll be able to resume cruising," Tehan told The Kenny Report on Sky News.

Cheers Carole

The Chris Kenny Report tomorrow afternoon has more on this. After what Hunt previously said I'm not that confident until I hear from tge State Premiers stating it is happening.😉

• Thanks 1

What on earth does weeks and months really mean.?

unless they think it will get them a few more votes!!!

is Scomo going to get on a cruise ship and wash somebody’s hair .? Or clean a cabin?

who on earth gives him this advice?

Eileen

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Hi

Victorian election is not until November and since very few cruise ship come to Victoria I doubt it would be an issue.

although all the Princess ships that start in Melbourne might disagree.

I like RCL so usually travel to Sydney.

Eileen

11 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

What on earth does weeks and months really mean.?

More than one week, less than twelve months. Or, whenever they can be bothered.

10 minutes ago, ollyoeno said:

State Premiers have their elections when exactly?

SA - March 19th, 2022

NSW - 25th March, 2023

Qld - 26th October, 2024

Tas - probably 2025

WA - 8th March, 2025

Vic - 26th November, 2022

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

And this

Cheers Carole

Doesn't the cruise industry usually close down here after about April? I have just assumed that they will finally get their act in order so as to allow our next cruise season to commence in about September. If they give approval soon I wouldn't have expected cruises through May, June, etc in any event. Unless I'm missing something.

14 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Doesn't the cruise industry usually close down here after about April? I have just assumed that they will finally get their act in order so as to allow our next cruise season to commence in about September. If they give approval soon I wouldn't have expected cruises through May, June, etc in any event. Unless I'm missing something.

P&O and Carnival used to operate cruises all year round. Princess did too but in the last few years they've only done the big cruises - Round Australia, Hawaii/Tahiti, and the World Cruise.

Princess have already stated they won't be back until September.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

The Qld Govt has already announced that they are considering some kind of limit on overseas arrivals. 

Baz, most of the state government and indeed the federal government are paranoid about another Ruby Princess fiasco.

I'm not waiting anymore....I've priced a 7 night back to back sailing on Spirit of Tasmania....approx $1500 (inside cabin) + say $500 for food and drink.....bingo...7 night cruise for $2000 !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, vozzie said:

I'm not waiting anymore....I've priced a 7 night back to back sailing on Spirit of Tasmania....approx $1500 (inside cabin) + say $500 for food and drink.....bingo...7 night cruise for $2000 !!

And none of that awful tipping !!!!   But hang on, a 7 night 'cruise' on Spirit of Tassie would be a B2BB2BB2B, would it not? 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

There are signs and there are signs.

This morning I was surprised to learn that we, Australia, are on the CDC Red List "Level 4: COVID-19 Very High". Who are they kidding? If we are level 4 then surely USA should be Level 10 except that 4 is the highest on the CDC scale.

So, will intending US visitors look at that and say "Nope, not going there - unless its on a safe cruise ship but oh, wait, there aren't any ships down there".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

So, will intending US visitors look at that and say "Nope, not going there - unless its on a safe cruise ship but oh, wait, there aren't any ships down there".

Spot on especially for the older Americans.

I wonder how many do a combined cruise and land holiday when they come to Australia/New Zealand.

I know that the only reason we have spent time in some countires is because it was at the start or end of a cruise. It's been a long time since we have flown overseas and there hasn't been a cruise invloved.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, leck57 said:

Thanks for clarifying. As we only cruise Princess and Celebrity I hadn't realised about the ones you mentioned. 

As an aside a local Flight Centre was chockers with people when I walked past this afternoon, after the announcement. I was also looking at a cruise around the UK and it seems quite a few cabins went today...and the Princess Plus option for this cruise has disappeared. Hopefully a Princess web site glitch.

I only knew because I'd see the ships in Sydney harbour occasionally.

I think Princess has a limit on the number of Plus packages they offer. I recall reading something about that somewhere.

2 hours ago, sewgood said:

Spot on especially for the older Americans.

I wonder how many do a combined cruise and land holiday when they come to Australia/New Zealand.

I know that the only reason we have spent time in some countires is because it was at the start or end of a cruise. It's been a long time since we have flown overseas and there hasn't been a cruise invloved.

Our 6 week combined land and cruise was cut in half due to covid.  We discussed returning to finish our original plans, but the government's handling of the Ruby and all the constant opening and closing has us deciding not to return.  I regret the decision because we loved everything we saw and everyone we met, but the uncertainty is not worth it for us to travel half way around the world. Thankful for our week in Sydney area and our New Zealand cruise and the lovely cruise critic  Aussies and Kiwis who helped us plan our dream vacation.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Our 6 week combined land and cruise was cut in half due to covid.  We discussed returning to finish our original plans, but the government's handling of the Ruby and all the constant opening and closing has us deciding not to return.  I regret the decision because we loved everything we saw and everyone we met, but the uncertainty is not worth it for us to travel half way around the world. Thankful for our week in Sydney area and our New Zealand cruise and the lovely cruise critic  Aussies and Kiwis who helped us plan our dream vacation.

I can understand your reticence however the border closures were the states way of protecting the population until such time as a suitable vaccination was found after it was determined that the virus was not going to obliviate (Harry Potter term for disappear). Now that we have reached high levels of vaccination (95% double vaxxed) it is very unlikely that borders will again close - this IMO would also mean political suicide for a state's ruling party.  Western Australia is still holding out on fully opening up as their vax rate is not quite high enough, according to the Premier's medical advisers.  I'm guessing it will be fairly soon.

Please don't write us off yet.

Edited by lyndarra
typo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

I can understand your reticence however the border closures were the states way of protecting the population until such time as a suitable vaccination was found after it was determined that the virus was not going to obliviate (Harry Potter term for disappear). Now that we have reached high levels of vaccination (95% double vaxxed) it is very unlikely that borders will again close - this IMO would also mean political suicide for the a state's ruling party.  Western Australia is still holding out on fully opening up as their vax rate is not quite high enough, according to the Premier's medical advisers.  I'm guessing it will be fairly soon.

Please don't write us off yet.

I agree with your comments. I don't believe we will see state borders closed again.

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

There are signs and there are signs.

This morning I was surprised to learn that we, Australia, are on the CDC Red List "Level 4: COVID-19 Very High". Who are they kidding? If we are level 4 then surely USA should be Level 10 except that 4 is the highest on the CDC scale.

Since the borders opened, Queenslanders have gone from not knowing anyone with Covid to loosing count on the number of people we know with Covid.  I'm not surprised that Australia is currently on "do not travel list".

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Since the borders opened, Queenslanders have gone from not knowing anyone with Covid to loosing count on the number of people we know with Covid.  I'm not surprised that Australia is currently on "do not travel list".

So far I only know two people with COVID. My cousin's wife in London who passed away last December and a windsurfing mate two weeks ago.

I've never had or been required to have a test yet but that may change, especially if I restart foreign travel.

54 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Never say never, BRANDEE. Once the world settles down again, and I'm sure it will in time, you may be tempted to come down under again. Remember, you've got lots of friends here now to catch up with.

BTW are you still suffering from Long Covid effects or has that gone away now?

• Like 1